• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

TTOOLL

It's not only the icons themselves, they just show how MS is being inconsistent with their design for a while. The mix modern/legacy icons hurts more imo.

It's not only the icons themselves, they just show how MS is being inconsistent with their design for a while. The mix modern/legacy icons hurts more imo.

I personally hate the modern apps. I don't think they can remove one or the other because then everything has to be done again.

Giolon

I dislike how Cortana fails to do what she replaced and what, I suppose, most people want it to actually do - search stuff on PC. I type in "Steam" and the first result is "store.steampowered.com", then two results from Windows Store (Steam Tile and Steam tm), then a bunch of web results but... no link to Steam application installed on my PC. It's the same with other programs. :/

I type Steam into Cortana and the first thing I get is my Steam application.
Not sure what's up on your system :/

After putting Win 10 on my laptop yesterday, I had to rebuild the Windows Search Index in order for all of the stuff on my computer to show up properly.

To do this:
Stop the Windows Search service.
Open Control Panel Indexing Options.
Go to Advanced and click Rebuild.

Check back and try the search in a few hours.

M3d10n

no matter what they do, they will be shit on. That isn't saying the current design is good, :).

That's my point. Someone will *always* think they look like something from deviant art, regardless of the design. Unless they look like XP and Vista icons, in which case people will complain because they look like old icons.

That's my point. Someone will *always* think they look like something from deviant art, regardless of the design. Unless they look like XP and Vista icons, in which case people will complain because they look like old icons.

New recycle bin is nice and most agree. It also reminds me of xp style recycle bin. Anyone also think search should be back in the start menu?

One more things. Someone on the feedback app had a good idea where you have one folder/place with all modern apps and everything else works the same as always. It has tons of votes too so i hope they consider it.

One more things. Someone on the feedback app had a good idea where you have one folder/place with all modern apps and everything else works the same as always. It has tons of votes too so i hope they consider it.

They'll never split the OS like that, that's one the core things that Windows 10 is trying to do, integrate applications and their interfaces seamlessly, regardless of it being a Win32 or Universal app.

Chucker

Updated to 10074 and now my G930 flat out doesn't work. I figured it'd be some conflicts since I saw Realtek HD Audio Manager showed up in my system tray. Uninstalled the G930 driver, disabled onboard audio in the bios and uninstalled Realtek. Rebooted, reinstalled Logitech software and still no dice.

Any ideas?

Alright, now ANOTHER issue has popped up. I finally managed to get 10074 to start the installation process, but it is stalked at the "Personalization Settings" stage. It is non responsive and ask I can do is ctrl-alt-del to the task manager or restart. I've managed to get to advanced options to try to do a startup repair to the PC (tried and failed multiple times), refresh the PC (didn't work), and to roll back to previous version (couldn't find one). I'm at a loss for what to do next. I can get into the system by safe mode, but I'm not sure how to repair this.

Mr_Zombie

After putting Win 10 on my laptop yesterday, I had to rebuild the Windows Search Index in order for all of the stuff on my computer to show up properly.

To do this:
Stop the Windows Search service.
Open Control Panel Indexing Options.
Go to Advanced and click Rebuild.

Check back and try the search in a few hours.

So uhm... I don't have Indexing Options in Control Panel. There's also no search-related service on the services list. From what I read this situation can happen if you don't have Windows Search feature turned on, but there's no such feature on Windows Features list.

That would explain why searching "my stuff" doesn't return any results other than files from my OneDrive.

Just had a BSOD signing into my account right now. A Critical_Process_Died error. Only thing I've seen in terms of problems with this build. Otherwise it's been solid.

So how demanding is W10 and/or how friendly is it to older systems?

I have a laptop I installed W8 (from W7) on a while ago and it took a bit of a performance hit. i5-2410M 2.3Ghz, 6GB RAM.
I'm running it on a seven year old Core 2 Duo 1.66ghz HP with 4Gb of RAM. Runs pretty good although the resolution is a bit crippled due to it's ancient geforce go. I'm giving it to my Mom once it hits RTM. It's better than what's she currently has.

hadareud

The Translator
Installed W10 on my Surface Pro 3 again, and I have to say that Continuum has come a really long way since its humble beginnings a few months ago. It's now very usable.

Still a few things that are painful (no gestures or adblocking in Spartan, no quick app switching, the start screen being horrible etc.), but it's coming along nicely now.

dLMN8R

Biggest problem I still have with Continuum is that maximized application in Desktop mode don't stay maximized once you enter and exit Tablet mode - it forces them into a window instead. So on my work laptop where Outlook is always running maximized, it's pretty annoying.

Worth mentioning that I know it's a known issue that'll be fixed, just that it's still annoying for now.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, that is annoying. Also, Cortana pops up ((or expands, rather) all the time when you press the Windows button, annoying too.

My biggest issue is the start screen though, it's a mess.

But considering the improvements compared to a few builds ago I'm fairly positive now. Especially since Joe showed a decent looking start screen at Build on a smaller tablet.

Biggest problem I still have with Continuum is that maximized application in Desktop mode don't stay maximized once you enter and exit Tablet mode - it forces them into a window instead. So on my work laptop where Outlook is always running maximized, it's pretty annoying.

Worth mentioning that I know it's a known issue that'll be fixed, just that it's still annoying for now.

The ideal solution would be to return the windows to the state you have them "saved" at, no?

i.e. your Outlook application will probably remain maximized, but file explorer may not.

dLMN8R

The ideal solution would be to return the windows to the state you have them "saved" at, no?

i.e. your Outlook application will probably remain maximized, but file explorer may not.

Of course, that's what the fix is. Just takes some extra time to implement correctly managing window states for use cases that previously didn't exist. But it should be there before RTM.

Well, this is obnoxious. For some reason some games (seems to be Unreal Engine 3 stuff, just XCOM and Space Marine so far) aren't playing nice with the start menu. When I open them, the start menu opens, which forcibly minimizes them. And when I try to bring them back up, it does it again. Submitted feedback, but has anyone found a workaround?

dLMN8R

Well, this is obnoxious. For some reason some games (seems to be Unreal Engine 3 stuff, just XCOM and Space Marine so far) aren't playing nice with the start menu. When I open them, the start menu opens, which forcibly minimizes them. And when I try to bring them back up, it does it again. Submitted feedback, but has anyone found a workaround?

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...10-insider-preview-build-10074-now-available/

There is an issue in this build preventing some games from playing in full screen mode. We’re working to get a fix out via WU as soon as possible.

Heel

Giving this a spin and liking what I see so far.

Anyone else having trouble with Chrome windows being a few pixels too large in each direction when maximized? Cuts off just above the text on the tabs up on top, for example. Same problem with Chrome beta.

Not sure if it's a problem with Chrome, video driver, Windows 10 or what.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So anyone's been following the new AppX application model in Windows 10?

It's pretty exciting stuff:
  • Isolated Registry so no more fragmentation and nasty installs and uninstalls
  • No more UAC for applications installed under this model
  • Allows "Classic Apps" installed using AppX model (Win32, MFC, .NET, etc...) to be treated as a real Windows Store app
  • Allows for Side-loading of Windows Store apps
  • AppX apps can be 150 GB+ in size
  • AppX apps are NOT sandboxed offer more system protection than a normal Classic App
  • You cannot install drivers and services as AppX which allows AppX to be updated and restarted without reboot

There's plenty of good stuff in the video if you're interested

Giving this a spin and liking what I see so far.

Anyone else having trouble with Chrome windows being a few pixels too large in each direction when maximized? Cuts off just above the text on the tabs up on top, for example. Same problem with Chrome beta.

Not sure if it's a problem with Chrome, video driver, Windows 10 or what.

Some of the video drivers are pretty wonky. On my system, CK2 seems to have no idea how to size properly, when I try to use the full 1920x1080 setting it ends up cutting off the bottom and rightmost 2 inches :p

And dLMN8R, good to hear it's a known issue and a fix is incoming.

Heel

Some of the video drivers are pretty wonky. On my system, CK2 seems to have no idea how to size properly, when I try to use the full 1920x1080 setting it ends up cutting off the bottom and rightmost 2 inches :p

And dLMN8R, good to hear it's a known issue and a fix is incoming.

Ahhh, guess I'll just take the updates as they come and see what happens.

I'm actually poking around with Windows 10 on an old laptop that was on Vista 32bit, seeing if it'll breathe any life into it. Also holding out some hope that they'll give a free license to people in the preview program as rumored, since it won't be a free upgrade on Vista.

Really surprised they even had multiple video driver updates for an old 8600M GT. Also surprised (maybe some wouldn't be, haha), it runs better now than it did on Vista, even on such old hardware. Seems like a perfectly serviceable web browsing machine on Windows 10. You're not dead yet, old friend.

• Allows "Classic Apps" installed using AppX model (Win32, MFC, .NET, etc...) to be treated as a real Windows Store app
  • AppX apps are NOT sandboxed offer more system protection than a normal Classic App
  • You cannot install drivers and services as AppX which allows AppX to be updated and restarted without reboot

interesting details, I wasn't fully aware of the fine-print on the win32-->appx announcement.

M3d10n

This is huge! It means win32 apps can access all the cool stuff store apps can (notifications, Cortana, live tiles) without being locked to the store. Developers can simply distribute appx instead of msi installers on their own websites, with msi being relegated to stuff that actually needs to be low level.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
just installed...

i have no idea how to split screen apps in tablet mode now :/

why is it easier to use as a tablet in PC mode right now lol

edit: no, seriously... the tablet experience on windows 10 is fucking putrid

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I haven't been following this thread much. But is this stable enough for a daily use now? I am actually considering installing myself.

Still based on App-V, which doesn't play nicely with a lot of legacy apps. Also, delta updates, how?

clav

I haven't been following this thread much. But is this stable enough for a daily use now? I am actually considering installing myself.

No. The build still has a Xbox One Dashboard stability vibe.

Fast shutdown with fast startup break things.

One solution would be to disable it, but you might as well stick with Windows 8.1.

Iacobellis

Can't the Registry just be eradicated completely? I never understood the use in it as opposed to system files used in Linux/OS X.

clav

Can't the Registry just be eradicated completely? I never understood the use in it as opposed to system files used in Linux/OS X.

Since Vista, Microsoft's been trying to virtualize the registry system. Windows 8 app store was the first step in getting closer to that goal. Windows 10 appears to encourage developers to go there, but we'll see. AppX have registry names but are organized accordingly.

Definitely no for legacy applications (i.e. ones that are not updated).

Iacobellis

Since Vista, Microsoft's been trying to virtualize the registry system.

No for legacy applications (i.e. ones that are not updated).

In what ways? I still find it nowhere near as simplified as a set of directories belonging to a specific program that have files that contain crucial settings.

clav

In what ways? I still find it nowhere near as simplified as a set of directories belonging to a specific program that have files that contain crucial settings.

In short, preventing files directly writing to system critical components and separating admin/user elevation modes. You can read about some of the past major infection headlines back in the Windows 9X-XP days and how those scripts were written. Registry was a mess then.

Otherwise, what you're describing, which is the OS X/ UNIX-like folder structure, won't be achievable unless the code is overhauled.

FyreWulff

I've never seen the real problem with the registry. Sure, other OSes do the directory with config files, but then people like to be inconsistent with where their program puts the config files, which can be a pain to back up or merge changes.

Registry makes it central and act like a queryable database. It's a pretty neat solution. The downside is that it's not user friendly to mess with via regedit and since programs could be removed without getting rid of their related registry entries, cruft builds up.

also, I haven't seen a UAC prompt in forever in Windows outside of running an installer. It was really bad when UAC was introduced, but now that developers know they're not supposed to store their config files in C:\Windows and Microsoft enforced "no, you're not all fucking root anymore", the problem went away.

M3d10n

I've never seen the real problem with the registry. Sure, other OSes do the directory with config files, but then people like to be inconsistent with where their program puts the config files, which can be a pain to back up or merge changes.

Registry makes it central and act like a queryable database. It's a pretty neat solution. The downside is that it's not user friendly to mess with via regedit and since programs could be removed without getting rid of their related registry entries, cruft builds up.

also, I haven't seen a UAC prompt in forever in Windows outside of running an installer. It was really bad when UAC was introduced, but now that developers know they're not supposed to store their config files in C:Windows and Microsoft enforced "no, you're not all fucking root anymore", the problem went away.

Did you ever write a Windows application and its installer/uninstaller?

The problem with the registry is that anyone can read and write anywhere they please. Any executable can mess with other program settings at any time, because the whole thing is shared. This is why we have crap like toolbars and home page hijackers in pretty much every non-computer-savvy persons PCs.

The problem with installers requesting elevation is that they can write anywhere in the registry and on the file system when you click "yes". An installer is a just a program and there are no limits to what it can do. You're at complete mercy of the developer who wrote the installer and their skills in not fucking up your system. Ever had an uninstaller crap out and not work? You're SOL, specially when the damn program leaves behind things like services and startup programs (happened twice to me).

Windows has been in dire need of taking control of the install/uninstall process for several years. There's no need for giving system wide access to the installer of a video converter or a browser. That sort of power should be limited to stuff that really needs it.

Also, writing well behaved installers and uninstallers is a major pain in the ass with millions of different solutions, paid and free. A proper and easy to use standard would be welcome.

This should also make non-admin accounts far more usable, since they'll be able to install a wide variety of apps without rights elevation.

aeolist

Banned

huge

i don't personally like the look or feel of metro apps (since i don't use windows on a tablet and probably won't any time soon) but allowing distribution outside the store means they've finally walked back the last awful windows 8 decision

The problem with the registry is that anyone can read and write anywhere they please

I've never had it explained to me why the registry is a good thing. If a program keeps its settings in its own folder, I can move it to a new PC and it'll work just like it did before. It can be sandboxed.

Where is the benefit of this giant database of stuff that anyone can come along and fuck things up for everyone else? It makes it a pain to move programs and settings, and it gets clogged up with shit.

aeolist

Banned
I've never had it explained to me why the registry is a good thing. If a program keeps its settings in its own folder, I can move it to a new PC and it'll work just like it did before. It can be sandboxed.

Where is the benefit of this giant database of stuff that anyone can come along and fuck things up for everyone else? It makes it a pain to move programs and settings, and it gets clogged up with shit.

they made it for windows 3.1 in 1992. there's plenty of stuff that was fine back then and a horrible idea now, but most of it doesn't survive this long in the name of backwards compatibility.

JaggedSac

Depending on how side-loading is done, 3rd party stores are possible it seems.

This appx stuff is more robust than I thought it was going to be. Seems pretty cool.

Is Fable going to be the first appx game?

It sound like Sandboxie for me, which does works for a lot of apps without problem. It only craps out when programs try to modify easy to much of the system.

It's App-V. They stated the technology was App-V in the keynote, and in the Project Centennial Channel 9 video, that state it's not App-V because you as a software developer do the packaging yourself to ensure the software works (implied otherwise, it's App-V).

It's sandboxed, and like App-V for that reason, if you integrate a lot with third-party applications, or third-party applications choose to integrate with you, you may be screwed. Granted, I haven't played around with App-V 5.0 yet.

FyreWulff

Corporate deployments and multi-user support was the reason why.

non-NT Win 3.1 ,Windows 95 and 98 were sort of hacked up to do multi-user. Fun fact: Microsoft licensed UNIX as the base for a multi-user OS called Xenix, to sell alongside the single-user MSDOS, and was intended to eventually be their mainline OS. And then stuff happened.

Windows' history is fucking weird, and a lot of the OS's quirks come from having to be backwards compatible with 30+ years of tech, business, and political decisions.

mcrommert

Banned
huge

i don't personally like the look or feel of metro apps (since i don't use windows on a tablet and probably won't any time soon) but allowing distribution outside the store means they've finally walked back the last awful windows 8 decision

I Understand the issues with metro apps in windows 8 as they don't work well for anything but touch (pretty easy to argue though a lot of that mess was necessary to get to this point). Take a look at the xbox app or the preview photos or music or video apps to get an idea of the density of information on the new universal apps...much more win 32 style apps and density for a mouse that makes sense. Even the new office universal apps show off that change in design. They will be the apps for most things going forward.

Top Bottom