• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

So I'm still on build 10049. My Windows update says that it's downloaded 10061 but hasn't begun the installation process. How do I start it? There isn't any option to do so, and I'm on the fast track. It has been stuck like this for the past few days.

So I'm still on build 10049. My Windows update says that it's downloaded 10061 but hasn't begun the installation process. How do I start it? There isn't any option to do so, and I'm on the fast track. It has been stuck like this for the past few days.

It should be updating to the latest which is 10074.

It should be updating to the latest which is 10074.

No, it has already downloaded 10061, and yet it doesn't install it. Even though it's been this was for the past few days. I cant find any way to manually make it install 10061 either, and it won't look for any other updates to download.

Basically I'm stuck on 10049, and it won't update itself any futher. I'm looking for a way to force it to install already, so I can get to 10074.

SPDIF

No, it has already downloaded 10061, and yet it doesn't install it. Even though it's been this was for the past few days. I cant find any way to manually make it install 10061 either, and it won't look for any other updates to download.

Basically I'm stuck on 10049, and it won't update itself any futher. I'm looking for a way to force it to install already, so I can get to 10074.

I'm guessing you don't want to bother doing a clean install? Because if not then you could always just download the 10074 ISO

Download 10074.

Mount the ISO in windows explorer

run setup.exe

It will upgrade you to 10074 and keep your files and settings in-tact.

TTOOLL

10074 is fine, but man, they gotta do something with those icons, the new ones are terribad. The difference between moderns apps icons and legacy icons hurts a lot!

TTOOLL

Do you have a picture? I would like to see it myself but I don't have the preview installed.

capturadetela7v6uk7.png

They are being changed to much better icons eventually. Look at them here

1_screen_shot_2015-03-18_at_11.28.46_am_story.jpg
Those are better, though something is still off about them. Maybe the perspective? The Windows drive one hurts my brain.

I do like the sexy Store icon in the taskbar. Looks much nicer there than the tile icons.

Mr_Zombie

I dislike how Cortana fails to do what she replaced and what, I suppose, most people want it to actually do - search stuff on PC. I type in "Steam" and the first result is "store.steampowered.com", then two results from Windows Store (Steam Tile and Steam tm), then a bunch of web results but... no link to Steam application installed on my PC. It's the same with other programs. :/

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is anyone else having problems with the "Hide DS4" setting in DS4Windows in build 10074? It worked for me in 10041.

Mr_Zombie

Did you know you can enable transparency blur and jump list in build 10074?

Apparently on default, transparency blur is activated in 50% of users who use build 10074, since Microsoft is performing an A/B test with it.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10074-how-enable-blur-aero-start-menu

To activate jump list (thankfully, it return after being missed in Windows 8/8.1):
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-jump-lists-make-return-start-menu

The jump list only works with apps on most used list; doesn't seem to work on tiles.

Road

Every build is getting actually worse and worse as far as UI is concerned.

They must be using this Technical Preview as a red herring and will surprise us with the actual RTM Windows 10 they've been working in secret for the past six months.

- No, Microsoft, I do not want to search with Bing, I just want to search my local computer. How do I turn this off?
- The icon situation, there are now like two different styles for windows 10, as if the 95/ 98, XP, Vista/7 and 8 mishmash of styles wasn't enough. Why is the garbage bin 3d? I thought we were going flat... lol
- What is this mess, seriously... (sobre = about)
- Why is my start menu so huge and still missing a functional context menu?

Looking forward to Windows 12. Maybe they'll have finished this thing by then.

Mikeside

I dislike how Cortana fails to do what she replaced and what, I suppose, most people want it to actually do - search stuff on PC. I type in "Steam" and the first result is "store.steampowered.com", then two results from Windows Store (Steam Tile and Steam tm), then a bunch of web results but... no link to Steam application installed on my PC. It's the same with other programs. :/

I type Steam into Cortana and the first thing I get is my Steam application.
Not sure what's up on your system :/

Installed 10074 this morning; Spartan Edge works again, thank god. I'm liking the UI tweaks, too; everything is better looking and more responsive.

dLMN8R

Every build is getting actually worse and worse as far as UI is concerned.

They must be using this Technical Preview as a red herring and will surprise us with the actual RTM Windows 10 they've been working in secret for the past six months.

- No, Microsoft, I do not want to search with Bing, I just want to search my local computer. How do I turn this off?
- The icon situation, there are now like two different styles for windows 10, as if the 95/ 98, XP, Vista/7 and 8 mishmash of styles wasn't enough. Why is the garbage bin 3d? I thought we were going flat... lol
- What is this mess, seriously... (sobre = about)
- Why is my start menu so huge and still missing a functional context menu?

Looking forward to Windows 12. Maybe they'll have finished this thing by then.

-Did you miss "search my stuff" in cortana?
-Did you report the layout problems and duplicate problems via the Feedback app?
-Did you try resizing the start menu?
-Context menus are in the start menu, if you're not seeing them, did you report the problem via the Feedback app?

Wreav

Banned
I don't understand the fuss about the icons. Well, I do but...I don't understand why it's become such a big deal.

Because some of us spend 10 hours a day looking at windows, and the placeholders are terrifyingly awful, and speak to a core lack of good design coming from Redmond.

Either way, moot point.

BIGWORM

So, I have dual audio out through HDMI out from my GPU, and 3.5mm out from my soundcard. As of build 10074, I'm not able to modify the sound of both audio sources through the sound icon in the system tray. Any way to fix that?

The Flash

Banned
Sure is handy that Windows 10 still enables people to do that despite all the fear and despair over Windows 8 "locking down" the entire OS :)

I know right. It's great that I have the ability to make the experience the way that I want it. I can be proactive and tackle the problem now and not have to wait for someone else to maybe fix it later on.

Nor does anybody spend all their time looking at windows folder icons that much.

You would be using apps if you are sitting on a computer for 10 hours.

What if I have GAF up on my computer for ten hours?

Wreav

Banned
I'd just change the icons then.

It's more than that...icons are the canary in the coal mine that the design team has gone off the rails, and is making more deep seated bad decisions. If you can't get icons right, or even close to right, you're losing the battle.

I know right. It's great that I have the ability to make the experience the way that I want it. I can be proactive and tackle the problem now and not have to wait for someone else to maybe fix it later on.

What if I have GAF up on my computer for ten hours?

You are not looking at the windows icons

The Flash

Banned
It's more than that...icons are the canary in the coal mine that the design team has gone off the rails, and is making more deep seated bad decisions. If you can't get icons right, or even close to right, you're losing the battle.

I see your point. This is just like when Apple changed the Finder icon. Things haven't been the same since.

You are not looking at the windows icons

Exactly.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't really see whats wrong with the icons we currently have in 10 really since it's not like they're offensively ugly or anything.

Mr_Zombie

OK, my other issue with Cortana and search is that she seems to prioritize web search over local search. Typing in "chrom" gives me a link to google.com/chrome as a first result, then a bunch of web links and store links, but no option to run Chrome. Only when I type "chrome" does it give me a run command. :/

Same with other stuff. "Sumatra" gives me either a link to Windows Store ("Sumatra Island Travel") or a link to Bing search. To open SumatraPDF I have to type full name: "sumatrapdf" (even typing "sumatrapd" gives a Bing search link).

I don't like that. The great thing about Windows 7/8.1 search was that you could press Windows key, type "chr" and chrome would certainly be somewhere (probably at the top) on the result list.

I'd just change the icons then.

That doesn't really solve the problem - that those icons are uglier than the ones used in Windows Vista - 8.1. Those were nice looking and consistent (perspective, lighting, shadows - all was set in design guidelines). Of course people had to complain that they are old and Microsoft should change them. Well, they did change them. Thanks guys. :/

And most people don't want to mess with system changing every single system icon. It's a great option, but not a solution.

However, I think the bigger problem is how desktop icons (colorful, 3D, with shading) clash with icons used in all modern elements of the UI (flat, simplistic, often monochromatic).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how demanding is W10 and/or how friendly is it to older systems?

I have a laptop I installed W8 (from W7) on a while ago and it took a bit of a performance hit. i5-2410M 2.3Ghz, 6GB RAM.

dLMN8R

OK, my other issue with Cortana and search is that she seems to prioritize web search over local search. Typing in "chrom" gives me a link to google.com/chrome as a first result, then a bunch of web links and store links, but no option to run Chrome. Only when I type "chrome" does it give me a run command. :/

Same with other stuff. "Sumatra" gives me either a link to Windows Store ("Sumatra Island Travel") or a link to Bing search. To open SumatraPDF I have to type full name: "sumatrapdf" (even typing "sumatrapd" gives a Bing search link).

I don't like that. The great thing about Windows 7/8.1 search was that you could press Windows key, type "chr" and chrome would certainly be somewhere (probably at the top) on the result list.

Did you submit this via the feedback app?

There are a lot of known issues with searches like this, but the more feedback you submit the better.

Mr_Zombie

So how demanding is W10 and/or how friendly is it to older systems?

I have a laptop I installed W8 (from W7) on a while ago and it took a bit of a performance hit. i5-2410M 2.3Ghz, 6GB RAM.

It seems to be no more demanding than Windows 8.

And I really don't understand how switching from Windows 7 to 8 gave you a performance hit. When I switched from 7 to 8 on my old laptop (QL60 1.9Ghz, 4GB RAM) I noticed a performance improvement. o_O

Mr_Zombie

Did you submit this via the feedback app?

There are a lot of known issues with searches like this, but the more feedback you submit the better.

Yes, I try to submit every bug or inconvenience I notice. That's what the Windows Insider program is about after all. ;)

Pooya

I don't like the new recycle bin either, old one was better. Flat fits better than windows95 style...

PC Settings still needs a lot of work too.

Top Bottom