• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

glaurung

Won't W10 be free?
Various upgrades will be free I suppose.

But in the long run I would like to buy a boxed disc. Otherwise - when cleaning my home PC from scratch - I would need to install Windows 8, then install the upgrade to 10. Which would definitely be a lot more time-consuming than a straight up clean install Windows 10.

I would prefer the shorter route.

Various upgrades will be free I suppose.

But in the long run I would like to buy a boxed disc. Otherwise - when cleaning my home PC from scratch - I would need to install Windows 8, then install the upgrade to 10. Which would definitely be a lot more time-consuming than a straight up clean install Windows 10.

I would prefer the shorter route.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a work-around to do a clean install of WIndows 10, like there was when installing Windows 8.1 with a Windows 8 key at launch (now, the 8.1 installer just accepts 8 keys without any finagling).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least a work-around to do a clean install of WIndows 10, like there was when installing Windows 8.1 with a Windows 8 key at launch (now, the 8.1 installer just accepts 8 keys without any finagling).

I installed 8.1 with an 8 key the other day, it took like 30 minutes from start to finish including Windows update. Windows 7 always takes about 3 hours because the updates install so slowly.

glaurung

I have (well, had) a Windows 8 OEM key. No 8.1 installer would accept it. And now that I replaced my main hard drive with an SDD, that key won't work at all any more.

Probably just the boxed retail keys for Windows 8 work with the 8.1 installers and ISOs.

M3d10n

I have (well, had) a Windows 8 OEM key. No 8.1 installer would accept it. And now that I replaced my main hard drive with an SDD, that key won't work at all any more.

Probably just the boxed retail keys for Windows 8 work with the 8.1 installers and ISOs.

You can call Microsoft support and explain your situation and they'll probably give you a working key. They did it for me years ago when an OEM key stopped working because of a new GPU.

Wasn't that statement simply a mistake/mistranslation? You can upgrade from pirated Windows 7/8.1 to 10, but your system won't suddenly become legal that way.
Unless there was a new article or something released clarifying that that was a mistake, I haven't seen anything debunking it yet.

If I remember correctly, their justification is that they wanted to get as many PCs as possible legitimately on the new infrastructure and they specifially noted that they wanted to do it in China because China has the largest number of pirated copies of Windows. So they're offering 10 to anyone running 7 or 8 regardless of genuine status, meaning yes, pirated copies get it.

If they're giving free upgrades to anyone using a computer from the past 6 years it's not hard to fathom that they'd give the same upgrade to people testing early versions of said free upgrade.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I hope there's a clean install work around. I wish there was a website I could just go to and punch in a valid 7/8 key and get one for 10.

glaurung

Unless there was a new article or something released clarifying that that was a mistake, I haven't seen anything debunking it yet.

If I remember correctly, their justification is that they wanted to get as many PCs as possible legitimately on the new infrastructure and they specifially noted that they wanted to do it in China because China has the largest number of pirated copies of Windows. So they're offering 10 to anyone running 7 or 8 regardless of genuine status, meaning yes, pirated copies get it.

If they're giving free upgrades to anyone using a computer from the past 6 years it's not hard to fathom that they'd give the same upgrade to people testing early versions of said free upgrade.
Yeah I am not totally clear on what they meant by that upgrading of non-legal Windows installations either.

Someone speculated that this only affects China where the problem is indeed rampant and MS wants to fix things. Though I would not be surprised if the people in China would go and buy the pirated disc copy from a high street peddler just because they don't know any better.

All I want is the announcement that Windows 10 will arrive in just on flavor - no Pro/Regular SKU distinction please.

mcrommert

Banned

They confirmed that you will be able to update, but it will still be a non genuine copy of windows

Go buy windows legitimately people

I got my Windows 8 key directly from Microsoft (when they were doing that cheap upgrade thing), and while it didn't work with the 8.1 installer initially, I had to reinstall a month or so ago, and it worked in the installer directly.

When you say your key doesn't work at all, do you mean you can't activate Windows 8.1 with it at all any more - not even through the phone system?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh I was wondering when this would happen!
MmA4yyu.png

Damn, I want a Visual Studio universal app version, that uses the cloud to compile and run your projects.

Imagine using your phone your phone to code *.*

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
man, I purchased windows 8 all legal and proper like... .fuck me if Ican remember where to find out how to upgrade or get a key or whatever when 10 is out.

If you lose the mail you get which i vaguely remember, it's quite hard to prove your legal copy of windows is in fact legal. I don't think i'd be able to do it on paper.

I've learned from that mistake and I'll bang any license in lastpass the second I see it these days, but I hope this doesn't bite me at upgrade time.

Raide

10074 is out, I guess no 10075 any time soon :(
....until it leaks from China next week.

Downloading now! Seems like a pretty solid update. The Game DVR stuff seems to be in as well as the Cortana updates shown off at build

I wonder if we will see the shift from Project Spartan to Edge now soon?

Caayn

Damn, I want a Visual Studio universal app version, that uses the cloud to compile and run your projects.

Imagine using your phone your phone to code *.*
Why? For quick edits and or comments sure. But actual coding? Why would you want to do that on a phone? (Honest question)

It's the same with my wife's 8.1 bing economy tablet. Microsoft genuine product key stickers aren't being placed on systems anymore? Maybe it's embedded in the hardware?

clav

I bought an Asus laptop with Windows 8 and I didn't get a key.....

It's the same with my wife's 8.1 bing economy tablet. Microsoft genuine product key stickers aren't being placed on systems anymore? Maybe it's embedded in the hardware?

Embedded in BIOS/UEFI.

Installation autodetects and then prompts if it is not a valid key.

There are tools that you can look up and see what the key is.

clav

the key is located inside UEFI now, Windows 8 auto detects it.

I think people are worried about the situation when 8.1 arrived. Windows 8 keys didn't work on Windows 8.1 installation disks for users who like reinstalling from new and don't make system images.

Wreav

Banned
man, I purchased windows 8 all legal and proper like... .fuck me if Ican remember where to find out how to upgrade or get a key or whatever when 10 is out.

If you lose the mail you get which i vaguely remember, it's quite hard to prove your legal copy of windows is in fact legal. I don't think i'd be able to do it on paper.

I've learned from that mistake and I'll bang any license in lastpass the second I see it these days, but I hope this doesn't bite me at upgrade time.

Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, fool.

Why? For quick edits and or comments sure. But actual coding? Why would you want to do that on a phone? (Honest question)
Not when using as a phone, but when docked.

VS studio is pretty much the only thing missing from a productivity standpoint with win 10

FrsDvl

After spending about half a day trying to upgrade 10041 to 10064 or whatever the build number was. It failed, and I'm back to 10041. Is there anyway someone can post a link to the iso for the latest version? Don't really want to go through windows update again, since I figure a clean install would be a lot faster.

Oh never mind actually, can't believe I missed the links on the website.

FrsDvl

What errors are you getting? Have you reported them through the feedback app / insiders forum?

I didn't see any error, i wasn't around the PC constantly since it took so long. But when i looked it just said "reverting back to previous windows installation."

After spending about half a day trying to upgrade 10041 to 10064 or whatever the build number was. It failed, and I'm back to 10041. Is there anyway someone can post a link to the iso for the latest version? Don't really want to go through windows update again, since I figure a clean install would be a lot faster.

Oh never mind actually, can't believe I missed the links on the website.
ISO files for today's build are here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download

clav

Upgraded.

Microsoft Apps are unstable at first but after the 2nd or 3rd launch, they stay open.

10061 was a really bad build.

Microsoft Word nags me to upgrade to Office 365. Ugh.

Other than that, seems solid so far.

The new live tile animation reminds me of the Office 2003 PowerPoint annoying slide transitions.

Spartan Browser still gets the same HTML5 score.

Top Bottom