• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Stay on 8.1. Windows 10, at least the current release, is still buggy. Maybe wait for the Build Conference and the new stable release that is supposed to be released after it.

Nero3000

So update to 10061 on my PC, and i cant open the start menu, or search, or notification area.

Any ideas? or should i just wipe this PC?

On another note, I'm very worried about onedrive on win10. Everything else has been coming along lately, and yet nothing for Onedrive since they removed some features...

I mean, what we have now can't be the RTM experience for windows 10, right? It would be very bad if all they did was remove features (like smartfiles, syncing in connected standby, or even the metro app, that in the very least provided an way to upload download files from non synced folders, both when in connected standby and resume support, both features that are lacking on win10), and at the same time didn't included any new of the top requested ones, like syncing shared folders as well.

TTOOLL

Change to fast ring?

edit: I didn't mean to be impolite. Just an honest suggestion, I did it and installed 10061 just fine.

Deepo

On another note, I'm very worried about onedrive on win10. Everything else has been coming along lately, and yet nothing for Onedrive since they removed some features...

I mean, what we have now can't be the RTM experience for windows 10, right? It would be very bad if all they did was remove features (like smartfiles, syncing in connected standby, or even the metro app, that in the very least provided an way to upload download files from non synced folders, both when in connected standby and resume support, both features that are lacking on win10), and at the same time didn't included any new of the top requested ones, like syncing shared folders as well.

Yup. If they keep OneDrive like it is now on Win10, they can kiss my Office365 sub goodbye. I can't go back to syncing everything or choosing what to sync now.

Guri

I think they are supposed to be talking about it in BUILD, considering it is now integrated to the system and not an app.

My Windows Update froze on some of the newer updates, so I had to restart the service on the last build.

Follow dLMN8R's instructions.

Not everything deletes, it's saying its open in another program for some reason but nothing is open. About 3 files dont delete[data store,download,reporting events]

Yup. If they keep OneDrive like it is now on Win10, they can kiss my Office365 sub goodbye. I can't go back to syncing everything or choosing what to sync now.

Unfortunately, they already confirmed that by RTM that's how the sync engine will work. Smart files like functionality is coming supposedly soon, though.

At least now that Win10 will see constant updates that shouldn't be much of a problem, but it will be really bad if that's the state of the RTM experience.

I think they are supposed to be talking about it in BUILD, considering it is now integrated to the system and not an app.

I'm hopping too, but Build is more a developer conference, dunno if they will announce consumer facing features like that.

I looked earlier at the Build sessions Ms posted on Channel 9, and they also seem very bleak for onedrive. just a single talk, for developers to integrate onedrive support directly in their apps... Not very promising so far.

Guri

I'm hopping too, but Build is more a developer conference, dunno if they will announce consumer facing features like that.

I looked earlier at the Build sessions Ms posted on Channel 9, and they also seem very bleak for onedrive. just a single talk, for developers to integrate onedrive support directly in their apps... Not very promising so far.

But the main presentation will be about Windows 10. Last year, they unveiled the new Start Menu. Back then, it was supposed to be for Windows 8.2.

M3d10n

What? They removed the smart files from 10? That sucks big time. I am using OneDrive to archive gigs of unedited cam footage and I just tell it to make them online-only when I'm done using them for editing. Per-folder sync will make this far more annoying.

Also, having to use the browser or the OneDrive app to manage the files is infinitely slower than using the File Explorer. MS should, at the very least, embed a mouse-friendly OneDrive client into Explorer when browsing the OneDrive folder.

But the main presentation will be about Windows 10. Last year, they unveiled the new Start Menu. Back then, it was supposed to be for Windows 8.2.
Indeed. Let's hope them

What? They removed the smart files from 10? That sucks big time. I am using OneDrive to archive gigs of unedited cam footage and I just tell it to make them online-only when I'm done using them for editing. Per-folder sync will make this far more annoying.

Also, having to use the browser or the OneDrive app to manage the files is infinitely slower than using the File Explorer. MS should, at the very least, embed a mouse-friendly OneDrive client into Explorer when browsing the OneDrive folder.

They claim the implementation was poor, and that having multiple sync engines was a bad approach, so now they are moving towards a single engine, on all platforms, and that works for both consumer and enterprise users. Because that way they can add features once and have them available everywhere.

It's a valid reason, because onedrive really had some nasty details about it, but so far they neither have solved them, nor added any new features, they just removed all the features they added in 8 and 8.1...

dLMN8R

Biggest problem with smart files was that even the placeholders took up a shitload of space, especially on devices with a small amount of storage (~32GB or less)

Hard to reconcile advertising unlimited OneDrive storage to put your photos when the placeholders / thumbnails for those placeholders could take up hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes if you have enough.

The other major issue was the fact that placeholder files were unique to 8.1 and required a completely distinct sync engine to what every other platform used (Win7, Win8, OS X, and others). Now OneDrive uses the same sync engine everywhere in Windows 10.

It definitely sucks and makes some things more difficult to do, but the OneDrive team has said that they're making improvements for RTM that still aren't in public builds yet. I'm not sure what exactly they're talking about, but hopefully it improves things substantially from where they are today.

FrsDvl

So i've wanted to try Windows 10, and finally decided to give it a go.

But, it feels like it's stuck here

VI9iDjW.png

Does this just take an eternity? Feels like that thing hasn't moved for the last hour.

M3d10n

Biggest problem with smart files was that even the placeholders took up a shitload of space, especially on devices with a small amount of storage (~32GB or less)

Hard to reconcile advertising unlimited OneDrive storage to put your photos when the placeholders / thumbnails for those placeholders could take up hundreds of megabytes or even gigabytes if you have enough.

The other major issue was the fact that placeholder files were unique to 8.1 and required a completely distinct sync engine to what every other platform used (Win7, Win8, OS X, and others). Now OneDrive uses the same sync engine everywhere in Windows 10.

It definitely sucks and makes some things more difficult to do, but the OneDrive team has said that they're making improvements for RTM that still aren't in public builds yet. I'm not sure what exactly they're talking about, but hopefully it improves things substantially from where they are today.

I can see the problems with the placeholders. I just hope they come up with an easy way to view/edit/manage individual files that doesn't involve synching the entire folder or manually downloading the file using the browser/app and manually reuploading it. We need a middle ground.

epmode

Indeed. Let's hope them

They claim the implementation was poor, and that having multiple sync engines was a bad approach, so now they are moving towards a single engine, on all platforms, and that works for both consumer and enterprise users. Because that way they can add features once and have them available everywhere.

It's a valid reason, because onedrive really had some nasty details about it, but so far they neither have solved them, nor added any new features, they just removed all the features they added in 8 and 8.1...

I really like the smart sync feature in 8.1... when it works. But once you run into a sync bug, god damn it's tough to fix. Never happened for me in Windows 7.

I understand, and I'm completely ok with them taking a few steps back to clear the house and come with a better implementation. But they did so on the promise of faster features and updates coming, and so far we haven't even seen the promised benefits of the single engine, for instance the long file name, or getting rid of the 10GB limit...

But hearing that they will have something new for RTM gives some comfort. Thanks for that!

I really like the smart sync feature in 8.1... when it works. But once you run into a sync bug, god damn it's tough to fix. Never happened for me in Windows 7.

I like in concept but the execution in 8.1 was indeed very poor... I had plenty of engine crashes, throttled speeds, not having a clear way of telling whether the file was available locally or not, no cache support (it would just leave everything it downloaded forever until you ask it to delete the local copy again)...

When Ms announced the feature I thought we would be getting something similar to bitcasa, but the result was far more limited to be as useful. It was specially jarring, because files placed on bitcasa could be properly used by any app (win32 or metro) even when streaming, and it just worked better than Ms own approach.

glaurung

Something really weird and unusual is being told on the interwebs.

Namely, Microsoft might let the people who are using the Technical Preview simply upgrade to the RTM (release to manufacturing) build once it's done. And then let them keep it for reals, activated and all.

Sounds too good to be true.

Considering that they already confirmed that the RTM will be free for all Windows 7 and 8 users, pirated or not, it's really not that hard to fathom at all.

No need to force you to format and clean install the RTM when it's going out to everyone else as an update anyway.

Mr_Zombie

Considering that they already confirmed that the RTM will be free for all Windows 7 and 8 users, pirated or not, it's really not that hard to fathom at all.

Wasn't that statement simply a mistake/mistranslation? You can upgrade from pirated Windows 7/8.1 to 10, but your system won't suddenly become legal that way.

TTOOLL

Something really weird and unusual is being told on the interwebs.

Namely, Microsoft might let the people who are using the Technical Preview simply upgrade to the RTM (release to manufacturing) build once it's done. And then let them keep it for reals, activated and all.

Sounds too good to be true.

Won't W10 be free?

Pooya

so are we getting a new ISO today right? I would probably get back to win10 if they do, updating without ISO is so slow I don't bother. I hope it's relativity stable and basic functions like star menu work though.

Top Bottom