• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
per warren new icons

CFrSDaXW0AEcRJ2.jpg

I like it. They look like cleaner, modern Windows 7 icons which is all we ever really wanted

The Cowboy

Finally did an upgrade to it on a spare HDD, i really don't like the start menu/screen in its current form.
---
The start menu really isn't nice, the all apps list is so much slower to navigate than Windows 8.1 (a big full screen list) and Windows 7 (popup menu over the start menu): in this one is a small list that is really bad in how its setup - In desktop mode it should be like it is in Windows 7 (popup overlay over the start menu) and in tablet mode it should be like it is in Windows 8.1 (a full screen list).

The notification centre is HUGE, why on earth does it take up the full height of the screen? - i really hope they make this start small and then build up higher as it fills up.

I also really want to be able to do separate tile layouts for desktop and full screen and not have them combined.

I want to be able to do something like this when on desktop mode.
And then when switching to tablet mode have something like this.
---
I know its not final, but i much prefer how it was going to look over how it currently looks.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwFL0tXPlP8&list=TLlwvWt_pK3Ik

Why oh why is the start menu being f'ed with? I hope MS doesn't keep it for the final.
I agree with his complaint about the hamburger menu for those who use the start screen. It's one extra click to get to your stuff. If I'm using a keyboard and mouse it should default to having those options listed instead of having to click the hamburger. I know the start screen is tailored for tablet users but it would be a welcome change for both users.

Microsoft is probably trying to go with a cleaner, less information cluttered look for it but options are nice.

The Cowboy

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwFL0tXPlP8&list=TLlwvWt_pK3Ik

Why oh why is the start menu being f'ed with? I hope MS doesn't keep it for the final.

Agree big time with the video in saying that in tablet mode/full screen start the start screen has so much wasted space and is very unintuitive (the all apps position/layout for example) and the up and down scrolling is not good - the full screen layout of Windows 8.1 is much nicer and has a lot less wasted space (all apps button right beside the start button full screen list of apps, small space between tiles and left/right scrolling).

At this point i much prefer Windows 8.1 full screen layout over Windows 10's, i really want them to make Windows 8.1's full screen layout an option (and i want them to allow Oblytile again - can't believe it no longer works).

Or as i said above, just give me this.
This is what was selling me on Windows 10, i loved this when i saw it 1st time.

This is how i like my full screen menu.
And 1 click on "All Apps" and a nice easy to use apps list (not a small thin scrolling list)

hadareud

The Translator
I'm glad they're taking away the app view on the left from the start screen, it was ugly as fuck.

Though the current 8.1 implementation is superior (swiping down) to the hamburger.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They're literally a slightly more modern update to the existing Win 7 era icons.

What are you defining as "amateur hour," here? Or rather, what does "professional hour" look like?

all the icons are visually flatter than the win7 icons, but still have colour depth... except the hard drive icon, which is flat in terms of colour but not flat visually. i would say that kind of inconsistency is "amateur" in execution, noting full well that that's probably something that would be fixed for launch

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't know what professional hour looks like. It just looks like Microsoft told a design intern to come up with something quick.

I still have dreams Windows 10 was this old-ass mockup:

It's not too late Microsoft.

all the icons are visually flatter than the win7 icons, but still have colour depth... except the hard drive icon, which is flat in terms of colour but not flat visually. i would say that kind of inconsistency is "amateur" in execution, noting full well that that's probably something that would be fixed for launch

Will Microsoft ever get rid of the skeumorphic folder, floppy and drive icons I wonder?

Mr_Zombie

You know, at this point I feel sorry for Microsoft. It's basically a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Some people prefer Windows 7 Start Menu layout, some Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 start menu/screen meets somewhere in between not really fully satisfying any side. Before the recent build came out tablet users were complaining that the recent apps list take place on the start screen, now desktop users complain that the list is hidden and require additional step to reveal it. Unless Microsoft puts a lot of options that would allow you to customize everything in start menu/screen, there will always be a group of unsatisfied users.

CS_Dan

Will Microsoft ever get rid of the skeumorphic folder, floppy and drive icons I wonder?

Not until we ditch the desktop metaphor entirely. "Folders" and "files" are too entrenched in what we expect from computers now to get rid of them IMO. "Desktop" and "recycle bin" could probably go, though.

This isn't just a Microsoft-based issue (nor is it an issue...) since OSX, iOS, Android, and as far as I know all flavors of Linux use those same representations for their icons, but what would you propose instead?

What do you use instead of a folder?
What do you use to represent a drive other than a picture of a drive?
It seems kind of counter-intuitive NOT to use representations of the very concepts you're trying to convey.

I can see an argument for no longer using a Floppy Disk icon for save, but what would you modernize that to? A flash drive?

zedge

So I want to go back to 8.1 but when I choose "go back to previous version" it says the files were deleted.

Any guide on how to go back or do I just use my disc and reinstall 8?

The Cowboy

Not sure if its my install or what, but my start menu and notification centre keep on disappearing. I can click the start menu/notification centre and they open just fine, then the next time they are completely blank/clear - its very random as it does it sometimes and not always.

Got my start menu looking a way i would be happy with, once the next build comes out and we can adjust the default folders that are in it i will be much happier - i do however hope they put in an option to choose to have the current all apps list (this really isn't nice) or instead have the windows 7 style all programs setup (so much better in the desktop mode).

Rich!

I'm downloading the preview edition

Got a week untiluntil I get my new ssdssd so it's worth a try, yeahyeah?

Edit: fucking qndroieqn android keyboardkeyboardd

M3d10n

Not sure if its my install or what, but my start menu and notification centre keep on disappearing. I can click the start menu/notification centre and they open just fine, then the next time they are completely blank/clear - its very random as it does it sometimes and not always.

Got my start menu looking a way i would be happy with, once the next build comes out and we can adjust the default folders that are in it i will be much happier - i do however hope they put in an option to choose to have the current all apps list (this really isn't nice) or instead have the windows 7 style all programs setup (so much better in the desktop mode).

If they disappear it means they crashed. Open the task manager, right click the Explorer process and select "restart". This will kill explorer.exe and relaunch it.

Jzero

It's installed! oh man it's fantastic

so goddamn fast. I think it's gonna blow my mind on an SSD

Mine boots like in one second on my 850 evo.

I don't know what professional hour looks like. It just looks like Microsoft told a design intern to come up with something quick.

no thanks, looks like a shitty osx copy.

No, It looks like a Linux distro.

Caronte

Those icons are a bit lazy. If they wanted to reuse old icons they could have used the ones in Windows Vista, I always loved those.

There's a new feature under update and security in PC settings that lets you do this easily

Okay great. I've been having a really good experience with stability and performance with the latest insider build on an old laptop, so I want to try it out on a SP2.

It's a "nice" mockup but would be terrible if it was put into an actual OS. A great example of form over function.

There's a misuse of flat colors as a catch-all "background", with no differentiation between the side toolbar menu and the actual window, as you can see in the photo window on the left. The menu categories is gigantic and needlessly takes up way too much vertical space, same goes for the minimize/maximize/exit icons.

The lack of border or less forced the designer to use the awkward pillow drop shadow, which is going to look like crap when you have a lot of windows floating around. The bottom taskbar is a disaster. It looks nice only with that color scheme and only with those icon colors. You bring in the hundreds of application icons with different styles and color schemes and it won't look anywhere near as good. And what if you get an application icon that's predominantly white? Or what if you have a dark background and have an app icon that's predominantly black? The blank space instead of the current taskbar "glass" look is going to also look awkward when you have fullscreen windows, giving an illusion that it's not "quite" fullscreen even though it is.

And it doesn't follow any kind of solid UI principles. It doesn't use the principles of flat design nor does it use the principles of material design either. It's an awkward in-between use of both.

Again, it's a nice looking mockup but there's zero chance it would look good once you start switching the background, bring in 3rd party icons, need to maximize screen real estate, etc. It's not a usable UI, it's only nice to look at.

dLMN8R

It's a "nice" mockup but would be terrible if it was put into an actual OS. A great example of form over function.

There's a misuse of flat colors as a catch-all "background", with no differentiation between the side toolbar menu and the actual window, as you can see in the photo window on the left. The menu categories is gigantic and needlessly takes up way too much vertical space, same goes for the minimize/maximize/exit icons.

The lack of border or less forced the designer to use the awkward pillow drop shadow, which is going to look like crap when you have a lot of windows floating around. The bottom taskbar is a disaster. It looks nice only with that color scheme and only with those icon colors. You bring in the hundreds of application icons with different styles and color schemes and it won't look anywhere near as good. And what if you get an application icon that's predominantly white? Or what if you have a dark background and have an app icon that's predominantly black? The blank space instead of the current taskbar "glass" look is going to also look awkward when you have fullscreen windows, giving an illusion that it's not "quite" fullscreen even though it is.

And it doesn't follow any kind of solid UI principles. It doesn't use the principles of flat design nor does it use the principles of material design either. It's an awkward in-between use of both.

Again, it's a nice looking mockup but there's zero chance it would look good once you start switching the background, bring in 3rd party icons, need to maximize screen real estate, etc. It's not a usable UI, it's only nice to look at.
Also: It would be fucking impossible to implement without breaking a billion existing applications.

FyreWulff

At least Skype looks better in that mockup. Skype is nice and clean on Linux and Mac OS but then you load up the Windows client and it's like ewwww

Hip Hop

So are all apps that work in Windows 8 should work in W10, right?

I remember not having a single issue with my transition from W7 to W8, everything has pretty muck worked.

I think the main improvement that that mockup has is that it doesn't use Clear Type.

Seriously, Microsoft needs to get rid of that shit and copy Apple or modern Linux desktops.

Is windows 10 good enough yet to put on your main pc yet? I have a surface pro 2.

I have it on my main pc at home and at work (and also a new rig I just built). That being said, I work at MS and can probably ignore things that you wouldn't.

I've also got it on my phone, but I don't recommend anyone roll it on their daily driver currently...

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
per warren new icons

CFrSDaXW0AEcRJ2.jpg

This whole terrible icon thing was a rope-a-dope MS scheme and I honestly think its going to work out for them. Instead of coating the pill in honey, they gave you the option of swallowing a normal pill or one dipped in shit. The choice is easy :(

DarkFlow

Banned
This whole terrible icon thing was a rope-a-dope MS scheme and I honestly think its going to work out for them. Instead of coating the pill in honey, they gave you the option of swallowing a normal pill or one dipped in shit. The choice is easy :(

Do people really give that much of a shit what the icons look like? I don't care, I don't see them enough too.

Top Bottom