• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

t-ramp

Will i be able to update to full windows 10 from the preview build?
Yeah, but I don't know how the licensing works. Maybe it's been clarified and I just missed it...
Something really weird and unusual is being told on the interwebs.

Namely, Microsoft might let the people who are using the Technical Preview simply upgrade to the RTM (release to manufacturing) build once it's done. And then let them keep it for reals, activated and all.

Sounds too good to be true.
Gabe Aul himself confirmed it back in January :)

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/558638215737794560

Update is spitting up an error:

fbl_impressive Core 10122 - Error 0x80246017

Tried the solution here, nada. Anyone had/fixed this?

EDIT: Alright, fixed it. Turns out I just misstyped one of the commands, ended up creating a whole new registry entry called "appllicability" instead of editing "applicability" :p

Still not seeing the new build, tho.

EDIT2: Aaaand there we go. Had to go fix my advanced settings from flb awesome to fbl impressive, re-enter my credentials, and move back into the fast lane.

EDIT3: And now it's not working again. Bloody hell. I'm gonna have to do a refresh, aren't I?

Raide

Just downloaded update and installed with no issues...so far. Really love the way Windows 10 installs so much faster than previous version of Windows. Use to take ages and ages to reinstall. Now its about 10 mins or less on my SSD.

Sini

Just downloaded update and installed with no issues...so far. Really love the way Windows 10 installs so much faster than previous version of Windows. Use to take ages and ages to reinstall. Now its about 10 mins or less on my SSD.
Installing Win7 or 8 from memory stick wasn't any slower than that even with HDD.

Raide

Installing Win7 or 8 from memory stick wasn't any slower than that even with HDD.

Ahh, I never did it via USB. Always via some disc. Was a pain in the ass to put in Windows 7, just to Upgrade to 8 and then to install Windows 10. Only found out recently about the MS USB Media Maker thing.

Sini

Ahh, I never did it via USB. Always via some disc. Was a pain in the ass to put in Windows 7, just to Upgrade to 8 and then to install Windows 10. Only found out recently about the MS USB Media Maker thing.
If you have disc or .iso then you can just copy all files from it to FAT32 formatted stick. Most motherboards will boot from it without needing to mess around with anything.

clav

This won't take long.

Taking care of a few things.

Just a few more tweaks.

Unfortunately, it's taking longer than usual.

The Cowboy

Oh thank god, they adjusted full screen tablet mode and it now looks similar to metro again - hiding the all apps list on the side is such an improvement. And the start menu looks much better with the layout change, really liking how this build looks.

I hope at some point in full screen tablet mode we can make it show the desktop background again properly, by making the start screen background fully transparent.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well any idea on how to fix this?
Na0ggyN.png

Also Life is Strange isn't launching but that might just be a Steam problem.

Jzero

The new build is supper snappy. my start menu icons are big and ugly though.

and this is dumb as hell i clicked to make chrome my default browser and it's making me take additional steps.

ktCbGgX.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Windows 10 has sufficiently bricked my surface pro 3 yay

Can't boot to USB (just keeps resetting and going into the launcher over and over) and windows 10 has decided to lock my drive (bitlocker) so now i can't get into windows

Soooo.... my surface pro is now a paperweight

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Can't boot to USB (just keeps resetting and going into the launcher over and over) and windows 10 has decided to lock my drive (bitlocker) so now i can't get into windows

wow, take it back to MS store? they might be able to do something.

Jzero

And that is why you make a virtual machine of builds like these. I use it as my main os but i'm on a pc that i can easily fix.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wow, take it back to MS store? they might be able to do something.

And that is why you make a virtual machine of builds like these. I use it as my main os but i'm on a pc that i can easily fix.

found out there was an alternate method where you could go into the command prompt to kill the partition then you could force the recovery process

thank fuck for that lol

Hey, is there a specific feedback item people have been using to report specific compatibility issues? Going through my Steam library, a bunch of stuff just straight-up doesn't work. Should I just use the compatibility troubleshooter reporting tool, or is there somewhere else to put it?

Mr_Zombie

Hey, is there a specific feedback item people have been using to report specific compatibility issues? Going through my Steam library, a bunch of stuff just straight-up doesn't work. Should I just use the compatibility troubleshooter reporting tool, or is there somewhere else to put it?

You can use Windows Feedback app to report it. There's a "Recent Applications" category which lists (most) apps you've been using recently. Or you can just put it in Apps -> All other apps.

Mr_Zombie

dLMN8R, do you have any idea whether we can expect any major changes in Windows 10's look or are future builds only for polishing and fixing bugs now?

Because there's still a lot of UI elements that I don't like :/ Some elements look really rough (e.g. the calendar - especially with those buttons that look like links on a HTML page with default styling) and I think Microsoft still hasn't managed to nail the unification of two different interfaces. It's really distracting to see a different-looking menu when you right-click an icon on taskbar (slick menu with small fonts, white background with light grey border and a shadow underneath, each item on the menu starts with an icon) and start menu (dark grey, almost black, background with white border that looks like something taken from a high-contrast theme; bigger fonts with smaller line height; no icons).

I would love for Windows 10 to look something like PapyrOS.

per warren new icons

CFrSDaXW0AEcRJ2.jpg

Much better than the current ones.

Top Bottom