• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

SPDIF

September 2014

The only thing i'm a bit worried about is the new start screen setup, namely this.
VRG_1110.0.jpg

I really hope there is an option to disable the taskbar (and have the current start button in the corner) when using start screen mode, and also not to have the small list on the left (i don't like the look of that at all on the start screen).

May 2015

At this point i much prefer Windows 8.1 full screen layout over Windows 10's, i really want them to make Windows 8.1's full screen layout an option (and i want them to allow Oblytile again - can't believe it no longer works).

Or as i said above, just give me this.
windows10continuum.jpg

This is what was selling me on Windows 10, i loved this when i saw it 1st time.

Make your mind up ;)

I swear I didn't intentionally look this up. I just so happened to be looking through some older posts in this thread and by coincidence came across your old post.

I'm quite bored right now, as I'm sure you can tell

Social

Things like icons are very important. It's what will make this OS perfect, the details! Especially if we're going to be looking at them for many many years. I like the latest updates.

nillapuddin

That file explorer mockup on reddit last week was legendary status.

I really hope every facet, icons, dialog box, drop downs end up being consistent.

Its weird seeing old elements, fonts and shapes peer through from time to time during this preview process, props to them for allowing the behind the scenes though

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Do people really give that much of a shit what the icons look like? I don't care, I don't see them enough too.

Well in the wide spectrum of caring, I wanted them to definitely try harder then what they they've been showing the last few months since it was painful to look at compared to their previous OS releases. Was this going to affect my impression of Windows 10? Probably not. There are people who, beleive it or not, fall on either side of my preference and they've also been talking. Most people here want Win10 to turn out well and part of that happening involves the reactions and feedback of people they expose these things to. I'm sure MS wants people to care and people do in fact care. I care about my nieces a whole lot more mind you but... I care.

Ape

Banned
September 2014

May 2015

Make your mind up ;)

I swear I didn't intentionally look this up. I just so happened to be looking through some older posts in this thread and by coincidence came across your old post.

I'm quite bored right now, as I'm sure you can tell

i have a feeling if you looked through most people's history they would contradict themselves quite often. i dont even know if people say what they mean anymore.

The Cowboy

i have a feeling if you looked through most people's history they would contradict themselves quite often. i dont even know if people say what they mean anymore.

For me it was one of those initial things, seeing the pic for the 1st time i just didn't like the look of it (all of a sudden having a list beside the tiles), then it grew on me and i actually like the idea of it considering how i use my PC - however don't think the current setup will grow on me as i am using it in the test version and its just so unintuitive and badly setup right now when in start screen mode.

It was sorta the same situation with Windows 8, i hated Windows 8 with a passion when i first saw it, yet when i got to actually use it i just loved it and think its awesome.

CaptainABAB

I really think they should develop a new touch-optimized File Explorer from the ground up while still leaving the current one in place for laptop/desktop mouse users.

The current File Explorer has too much win32 baggage (in terms of 3rd party extensibility) for it to be properly redone.

I really think they should develop a new touch-optimized File Explorer from the ground up while still leaving the current one in place for laptop/desktop mouse users.

The current File Explorer has too much win32 baggage (in terms of 3rd party extensibility) for it to be properly redone.
Seriously, I've been waiting for a proper touch File Explorer since the announcement of Windows 8 - and not, the modern File Picker is not a File Explorer. Trying to navigate it on a tablet can be a pita.

But as you have said, it has way too many baggage as it is a cornerstone of the OS. A universal app is pretty much guaranteed to be released (as it is present in Windows 10 Mobile), but plenty of programs still have dependencies to it for it to be removed in one swift move, and i don't think Microsoft wants to piss off the Enterprise so soon after the Windows 8 debacle.

Nevertheless, Windows 10 is rapidly approaching RTM, so the possibility exists that Redstone would start making moves on that front.

Caronte

You could maybe say that if you meant by the end of Vista's service pack update cycle (when it was pretty much a slower, clunkier version of Windows 7; still bad, but at least somewhat functional), but at launch Vista was a complete disaster -- design included.

They changed the design with service packs? I don't remember that.

Caronte

Ehhhh.....

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/342/9/9/vista_vs_for_windows_7_final_by_fediafedia-d27ek6y.png[/IG]

and in terms of Vista design, do you recall the toolbars that were inconsistent in terms of color usage (sometimes green, blue or black)

[IMG]http://bothack.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/windows-flip.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

I like that style more. I'm just not a fan of everything being so minimalistic, I didn't like it when Apple did it and I don't like it now that Microsoft is doing it too either. But whatever, apparently it's popular.

spwolf

two things that suck right now:
a. tablet mode.
b. icons/design consistency (which does not exist).

seems like they are making a lot of progress so hopefully they make right decisions by launch. Start menu in tablet mode makes little sense right now, it is impossible to use properly.

dLMN8R

I like that style more. I'm just not a fan of everything being so minimalistic, I didn't like it when Apple did it and I don't like it now that Microsoft is doing it too either. But whatever, apparently it's popular.

Well, at least we've reached the point in the tech cycle where Apple apparently invented flat and minimalist design!

All I know is that I've been using the preview for about a week and I absolutely LOVE IT! Everything works great and many apps load faster than ever. :)

Caronte

The way it was phrased made it seem as if ms is just now implementing flat design, whether or not that's what you meant is another story :)

I may be terribly wrong, but I think I remember Windows 8 icons being the same as Windows 7. The whole desktop interface was basically the same and that's what I was talking about, I never cared about the tablet part.

You should probably re-read your post because that is definitely what it sounds like.

What I meant to say is that I own an iPad and I wasn't happy about the design change from iOS 6 to iOS 7. I never said Apple invented it.

Alx

Anybody managed to use the Xbox App in the latest update ? Mine is completely unresponsive, it loads the main page but any action takes minutes to load, if it ever does anything...

Jzero

Anybody managed to use the Xbox App in the latest update ? Mine is completely unresponsive, it loads the main page but any action takes minutes to load, if it ever does anything...

Mine works. I even get achievement notifications.

hadareud

The Translator
Is anyone running the latest build on their Surface?

Has Edge's battery consumption and battery life in general improved compared to the previous build? Because it was bloody dreadful.

I'm moving all of my most important files over to my Mac and going to pull the trigger and get the Windows 10 preview build. Is it finally a good time to jump in? Pretty stable?

How is HDMI working in windows 10?

It is a complete shitshow on windows 7 for me and I hope it has improved.

Im ready to do the switch if MS finally has figured out HDMI properly.

Mr_Zombie

How is HDMI working in windows 10?

It is a complete shitshow on windows 7 for me and I hope it has improved.

Im ready to do the switch if MS finally has figured out HDMI properly.

What problems do you mean? I have both Windows 8 (and 8.1) and 10 connected to my TV through HDMI and I don't see any problems with it.

Kuros

Only issues i can remember with HDMI and windows is it not putting some monitors to sleep. Which could be fixed by using a DVI/HDMI adaptor.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So I installed Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 again....it's still shit.

I understand they needed to swing the pendulum back toward the older desktop experience with Windows 10 for people that complained about Windows 8 but they swung it so far that using it on a tablet is now a terrible experience.

The worst offender is a scrolling fucking list in the start screen to view all your apps. Talk about wasting both screen space and the user's time trying to find stuff that way.

I still hate the fact that the only way to access the start screen is by pressing either start button in windows or the windows button on the tablet. When used in portrait mode they're 3 inches from each other and neither is in a good spot to access when it's resting on your lap.

Also, why is the taskbar visible in tablet mode?

Just boneheaded design.

I'm getting mixed reactions. Is W10 in a better state currently to download for PC, or wait for final version? Also, do those of us in W10 TP get the final version for free coming from earlier Windows OS (7,8)?

I can never get audio to work through HDMI. No matter what cables, video cards, monitors, and/or operating systems; it just doesn't work. I just run a direct 5.1/7.1 lines from the motherboard/soundcard to the speakers.

clav

I'm getting mixed reactions. Is W10 in a better state currently to download for PC, or wait for final version? Also, do those of us in W10 TP get the final version for free coming from earlier Windows OS (7,8)?

Wait for final version.

I wrote earlier that Windowds 10 fried two Nvidia graphics cards.

clav

How exactly did it do that?

I'm currently using a Nvidia card that doesn't use external power.

Something with the new driver set and how it delivered power.

See some of the earlier posts that I did mention it. I often had a black screen on boot up. Eventually, one day the computer gave a beep signaling the video card was dead. Replaced with another old card and the same thing happened days later.

I'm currently using a Nvidia card that doesn't use external power.

Something with the new driver set and how it delivered power.

See some of the earlier posts that I did mention it. I often had a black screen on boot up. Eventually, one day the computer gave a beep signaling the video card was dead. Replaced with another old card and the same thing happened days later.
Well crap. I hope my card survives.

clav

Well crap. I hope my card survives.

For reference, the OS fried a Geforce 9600 and a 8600 GTS. Both cards require power connectors. Also, it was an early build of Windows 10 last year than the one now. I think Nvidia has sorted out the driver situation.

Currently running a 9800 GT ECO edition.

Old cards as I was running this on a build that someone donated to me. They previously ran on Windows 7 with no issues.

Again, the problem occurred when I returned from fast shutdown. Either I was greeted with a black screen which required a manual restart or apps wouldn't open nor respond (i.e. Windows Update stalled). Eventually one day, the computer sang a note pattern on startup, which translated to VRAM failed to initialize.

Situation reminded me what happened on the Xbox One all the time at one point. Fast boot up. Console fails to load anything, which forced users to shutdown the Xbox manually since software shutdown would stop working.

For reference, the OS fried a Geforce 9600 and a 8600 GTS. Both cards require power connectors. Also, it was an early build of Windows 10 last year than the one now. I think Nvidia has sorted out the driver situation.

Currently running a 9800 GT ECO edition.

Old cards as I was running this on a build that someone donated to me. They previously ran on Windows 7 with no issues.

Again, the problem occurred when I returned from fast shutdown. Either I was greeted with a black screen which required a manual restart or apps wouldn't open nor respond (i.e. Windows Update stalled). Eventually one day, the computer sang a note pattern on startup, which translated to VRAM failed to initialize.

Situation reminded me what happened on the Xbox One all the time at one point. Fast boot up. Console fails to load anything, which forced users to shutdown the Xbox manually since software shutdown would stop working.
Well that makes me feel a lot better now.

hadareud

The Translator
I have to say that I think that things are coming together nicely now, at least on desktop.

The latest build is running very smoothly and UI wise it's also starting to look the part.

Still slightly concerned about the tablet mode (no full screen, fewer and worse gestures than in W8.1, Spartan not having a decent tablet mode etc.), but it's come a long way even there. The start screen is looking like it's supposed to look again since the app list is gone and the tiles have a decent size again, so overall I'm quite positive. Still, there's definitely some tweaking to be done.

I just built a new home rig and went straight to the general public release of win10 preview. The A9 290x display driver will occasionally fail, but it recovers and games haven't been affected.

Top Bottom