• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Jzero

Fuck yea, build 10130 fixed the damn problem i was having with duplicating my monitor to my TV.

E2A6cnU.png

I can listen to crisp music through my sound bar again.

Oh and the new icons look great.

clav

First thing to do.

Disable ads.

CEc2DE8.png

Someone in this thread asked earlier if you can disable the transition animations for the whole system.

Yes you can.

xF8SKiQ.png

clav

I think this build is stable enough to use so far although the settings app just closed by itself.

Everything seems responsive compared to older builds.

No weird stalling.

Jonnax

imho Project Spartan is awful. Feels unresponsive and seems like just a metro version of IE.
Also it's made itself the default for stuff like PDFs but it's a terrible PDF reader, only rendering a couple of pages at a time like a mobile phone browser.

Why is there a ton of hype for the browser? Firefox and Chrome are still superior from what I can tell.

clav

imho Project Spartan is awful. Feels unresponsive and seems like just a metro version of IE.
Also it's made itself the default for stuff like PDFs but it's a terrible PDF reader, only rendering a couple of pages at a time like a mobile phone browser.

Why is there a ton of hype for the browser? Firefox and Chrome are still superior from what I can tell.

Finally embracing standards, which will make web devs happy.

Latest build compared to the last build is unchanged as it scores the same.

The difference between IE and Edge is already in the HTML5 scores.

New build today.

You knew about it huh?

We build windows everyday, so I technically know about every build. That being said, I don't know/care about the preview program on a daily basis. W10 has been stable enough at work for me, so I figured it was worth the desktop install and thusfar it has.

Huh. Did something change with the way the file organization system worked? It didn't seem to recognize "stuff installed through Steam" as its own thing for purposes of error reporting before, now it does. Cool beans.

Bro, DSL is 6-12 Mbps.

So are there any hands-on with this build yet? Icon-wise, is it the same as the recent leak? I'm really liking the way the visual transformation is going.

Jzero

Just bought the Yoga 2 refurb thats on sale for $180. Anyone have guide to install TP for Win 10 on it?

I was so close to buying it but the site credit card field is broken. Thank you shitty web developer you saved me money.

Bro, DSL is 6-12 Mbps.

So are there any hands-on with this build yet? Icon-wise, is it the same as the recent leak? I'm really liking the way the visual transformation is going.

The icons are amazing compared to all the previous ones combined. They're basically modern Windows 7 icons.

clav

Bro, DSL is 6-12 Mbps.

Damn you, i don't even need a tablet and i just bought one.

The icons are amazing compared to all the previous ones combined. They're basically modern Windows 7 icons.

Guess no one read Opus's link.

Has this image.

d61ZUem.png

BIGWORM

Nice icons, but build 10130 killed my Soundblaster Z with a "failed to play tone" error. Multiple times I tried uninstalling/cleaning drivers/reinstalling, but to now avail. Rolled back to 10122 build and sound is working again. Also put myself back on the slow ring for the moment.

It's funny how something as simple as removing the outline from the notification center makes it look so much better. They still have a lot of work to do with the icons, though.

Mr_Zombie

New icons look great, much better then the previous one. I still don't understand how anybody at Microsoft thought they looked good enough to be put in the preview builds. Ugh.

I also like that they finally changed Notification flyout (and it seems every other taskbar flayout) - now the background also has blur applied and that ugly white border isn't there anymore. I like it.

Fake edit: it looks the language flyout still has the old look, i.e. no blur and a white border around it.

Unfortunately, it seems Microsoft listened to my whining and changed the look of taskbar's jump list; now it looks similar to the Start Menu jump list - i.e. ugly :/ Oh well, at least now its consistent.

scently

Is there a way to make the switch to Tablet mode automatic for those hybrid tablet/laptop? It seems to be manual atm with no way to make the switch automatic if you unplug your tablet from the laptop dock.

NJDEN

Did they ever change the Bluetooth icon to make it more consistent with the other task tray icons?

Basically remove the blue bubble around it.

zychi

Banned
Is there an easy way to run this off of a usb drive, not install from a usb drive, actually run it as if the usb is an internal hard drive?

Zeknurn

Has anyone with an Oculus Rift tested if the Oculus display driver still bricks the OS on the latest build? The last three builds have had this issue which means I'm still stuck on 10049.

Mr_Zombie

I've just noticed that desktop apps tiles are like they were in Windows 8 - all have the same basic background color (in Win8.1 background color matched icon's color). Was it always like that in Win10 previews or have they changed that just recently?

Is there an easy way to run this off of a usb drive, not install from a usb drive, actually run it as if the usb is an internal hard drive?

I don't think so. At least I haven't seen such option anywhere.

DarkFlow

Banned
My pin login no longer works, I even reset it too see if that's the problem. It's on and has a pin but there's no option to use it when you boot windows now.

MilkLizard

Sorry if that has been answered before but if I install this now, can I upgrade to the full version when it's out without reinstalling everything? For a fee of course.

Top Bottom