• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Jonnax

Anyone have issues with Vmware in the latest build? Networking seems to be completely broken. Can't do bridged or nat networking.
Tried with with a Linux Guest and Windows XP.

Really annoying because I was in the middle of some stuff. Popped out for a couple of hours, computer had restarted automatically and now broken :'(

Sorry if that has been answered before but if I install this now, can I upgrade to the full version when it's out without reinstalling everything? For a fee of course.

Yes. The final version will be just another update for us in the TP.

Is there a way to make the switch to Tablet mode automatic for those hybrid tablet/laptop? It seems to be manual atm with no way to make the switch automatic if you unplug your tablet from the laptop dock.

Windows supports that. However, it seems hardware manufacturers will need to update to take advantage of it for the trigger to happen automatically. MS supports it in their Surface devices for example. I would email the OEM and ask if they have any updates planned for Win10.

Has anyone with an Oculus Rift tested if the Oculus display driver still bricks the OS on the latest build? The last three builds have had this issue which means I'm still stuck on 10049.

What happens for you? I had it on the last build and did not run into any issues. Ended up selling it so don't have it to test with the latest build, but that's how I know it worked since I had to demonstrate it to the buyer.

I would uninstall the Rift drivers completely and try a reinstall.

Zeknurn

What happens for you? I had it on the last build and did not run into any issues. Ended up selling it so don't have it to test with the latest build, but that's how I know it worked since I had to demonstrate it to the buyer.

I would uninstall the Rift drivers completely and try a reinstall.

To get the Oculus Display Driver to successfully install you need to run the Runtime installer in Windows 8 compatibility mode and this causes a black screen on reboot.
Here's a thread about it https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=23450

It's obviously up to Oculus to fix it but it works just fine on 10049 and earlier builds which is interesting.

Jonnax

If anyone is having the same issue as me, seems like Virtualbox can boot from a vmdk without any modifications. So that'll tide me over until Vmware or Microsoft make an update.

Raynes

When you uninstall something in W10, does it completely remove all traces of it i.e. in registry and temp files? I'm on Windows 7 and find it incredibly annoying that those files stick around after uninstalling something.

SPDIF

When you uninstall something in W10, does it completely remove all traces of it i.e. in registry and temp files? I'm on Windows 7 and find it incredibly annoying that those files stick around after uninstalling something.

If it's an app built using Microsoft's new APIs then yes everything is done cleanly and there should be no trace of anything once uninstalled. But if it's a traditional Win32 app then there's nothing particularly different and anything left over on Windows 7 will remain on Windows 10 as well. In other words, any app installed through the Windows store will be removed cleanly, but an app installed any other way will behave just like Windows 7 and likely leave stuff behind.

Fortunately MS are making it possible for most Win32 apps to be pretty easily converted into Windows store apps (search for Project Centennial if you want more information), which will mean clean uninstallation. So you've just got to hope that the developers of your favourite Win32 apps take advantage of the technology and get their app in the store.

Raynes

If it's an app built using Microsoft's new APIs then yes everything is done cleanly and there should be no trace of anything once uninstalled. But if it's a traditional Win32 app then there's nothing particularly different and anything left over on Windows 7 will remain on Windows 10 as well. In other words, any app installed through the Windows store will be removed cleanly, but an app installed any other way will behave just like Windows 7 and likely leave stuff behind.

Fortunately MS are making it possible for most Win32 apps to be pretty easily converted into Windows store apps (search for Project Centennial if you want more information), which will mean clean uninstallation. So you've just got to hope that the developers of your favourite Win32 apps take advantage of the technology and get their app in the store.

Thanks for answering! It's interesting how they can't implement this but third-party sofrwares can do this...

dLMN8R

Thanks for answering! It's interesting how they can't implement this but third-party sofrwares can do this...

Third-party software that claims to accomplish things like this usually end up causing more problems than they solve. The vast majority of "registry cleaners" out there and "complete uninstallers" are just shoddy pieces of crap that inevitably wipe out something important that ends up creating weird otherwise-inexplicable problems way down the line.

For better or for worse, Windows allows installers to do whatever they want within the privileges they're given by the OS and the user. It's up to those third-parties to competently create uninstallers that wipe out everything.

Ac30

Is there a preview build out now that allows me to upgrade to the real deal come July? I've got a legitimate build of 8.1 x64 and I'd like to install 10 to try it out but I'd hate to have to reinstall 8.1 just to upgrade :/

Enco

Eso2etU.png

Just got this on W8.

epmode

Has it been confirmed how licensing for this will work?

Will it just be tied to your MS account, or if you have to re-install after a format or something will you still need the 8.1 key?

Yeah, I'm still not sure if people using the upgrade will eventually be able to load Windows 10 from scratch on a newly-formatted PC or if we'll have to install 8.1 first.

Enco

Only a 3 GB download? The upgrade from 8 to 8.1 was bigger than that. Or is this only a preload?
It does seem small.

I clicked reserve and it said they'll notify me when it's ready. Entered my email for an update.

Not sure exactly how this will work. I'll go with a reformat though.

jambo

I always format and go from scratch when a new Windows comes out, hopefully that option will be available with this Windows 10 upgrade path they're pushing.

big_z

I got the upgrade pop up but have they said if we can make a disc image or use a flash drive to do a full clean install? My current install of windows 7 is corrupt so I definitely don't want to do a dirty upgrade.

Drifters

I got the upgrade pop up but have they said if we can make a disc image or use a flash drive to do a full clean install? My current install of windows 7 is corrupt so I definitely don't want to do a dirty upgrade.
Doit.gif

We need brave souls like you to test for us. :)

plainr_

So I have to revert back to Windows 7 to qualify for the free upgrade? I already deleted the Windows.old folder to regain some space back.

I was hoping we can upgrade directly from Home Insider Preview to RTM.

Hexa

I don't have that thing in the taskbar and can't find it anywhere else either. What do I do? o_O
On Windows 8.1.

j-wood

If we own multiple copies of windows, can each be upgraded to 10 for free? Or is it a once per user deal?

Example, I have a gaming desktop on windows 7 and a surface pro 3 on windows 8.1

It does seem small.

I clicked reserve and it said they'll notify me when it's ready. Entered my email for an update.

Not sure exactly how this will work. I'll go with a reformat though.

Wow, how did that sneak up without me noticing. Just did it, thanks!

I see that a lot of Windows 8.1 users have been getting those prompts to upgrade, have any been sent out to Windows 7 users yet? If so how did it appear? Just curious.

Hale-XF11

Windows 7 here, just got the prompt for the upgrade. Kinda freaked me out, because I thought it might be a virus or something.

Anyways, not sure if I should just go ahead and upgrade or not. I'm a bit concerned about whether or not any of the programs that I use are compatible with Windows 10.

I have been having an issue with all the preview builds, when I wake my computer up from sleep, it hangs on a black screen for a minute or two, then I get the BSOD. The BSOD mentions a DPC_Watchdog_Violation, and then my computer restarts before I can use it again.

Has anyone had this issue?

I wonder how much longer it'll be until Windows 10 releases. I know the rumors were saying mid July, but it feels kind of early to be pushing out these desktop notifications if that's the case.

Begaria

It just popped up for me on Windows 7. I'm going to hold off for a little bit and see how the current flows before jumping in.

jediyoshi

Just got the notification too.

Hope a program pops up quick to make snap function like it originally did. Left and right is all I need.

M3d10n

That's not how OS upgrades work. Your current "corruption" will not carry over to Windows 10 because it's going to be installed on a new folder, with freshly created system files and registry. It's just going to copy your users and 3rd party registry keys and migrate settings, so all your programs and files continue working.

Any idea if the Windows 10 update will reformat your stuff or is it just upgrading? Just got the box.
Yes, it will delete all your files without warning and zero the hdd to make recovery impossible.

Gosh, some of you people.

big_z

That's not how OS upgrades work. Your current "corruption" will not carry over to Windows 10 because it's going to be installed on a new folder, with freshly created system files and registry. It's just going to copy your users and 3rd party registry keys and migrate settings, so all your programs and files continue working.

my user profile is whats corrupted.

Top Bottom