• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It must be in waves. I have 2 computers with Win 8.1, but only one computer received the Windows 10 notification.

Sarcasm

On W7 and I got it:

offerqrrpe.png

So this is an upgrade right? I can't do a fresh install?

dLMN8R

Hah didn't expect this stuff to be live today, cool :)

I guess shit's getting real, huh?
Any idea if the Windows 10 update will reformat your stuff or is it just upgrading? Just got the box.

The upgrades are intentionally designed to be 100% seamless and super-easy. It's an absolute non-negotiable goal to ensure that all your stuff remains intact, just as it was on the previous OS, but with new features / UI available to you.

CyReN

The upgrades are intentionally designed to be 100% seamless and super-easy. It's an absolute non-negotiable goal to ensure that all your stuff remains intact, just as it was on the previous OS, but with new features / UI available to you.

Thank you.

M3d10n

Jeez dude, just asking a simple question since this stuff just popped up for me.
Sorry, but it's just common sense: do you really think MS would push something to millions of users that has even the slight chance of formatting theirs systems? If you think about it for longer than three seconds, the obvious answer is no.

The upgrade apps used by MS don't even have such capability. If you click the "I want a clean install" it will download an ISO and instruct you on how to burn it or put it on an USB drive.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is this Windows 10 popup for the beta release or retail? I confirmed with my email but I don't want to install the beta or whatever they're calling it.

SZips

I also had this notification tonight after I exited a GTA online session. Confused the hell out of me before a quick search around told me that it was legit. Went ahead and "reserved" my Windows 10 upgrade because why not.

Is this Windows 10 popup for the beta release or retail? I confirmed with my email but I don't want to install the beta or whatever they're calling it.

It's for retail. It's not a popup to download anything right now. It's merely a "reservation" for a future download once the final product is released and ready for mass public consumption.

clav

So just to confirm, people who aren't in the peview program are getting the pop-up too. ?

Don't know although the update link I posted earlier is the one to install.

If that's not installed, then you won't get the pop-up.

Is it downloading or this just a reservation?

There might be a workaround when it's released because the installation of the Windows 10 builds deflates its contents to a folder.

I think someone can come up with an autorun installation disk from that ESD folder.

CyReN

Sorry, but it's just common sense: do you really think MS would push something to millions of users that has even the slight chance of formatting theirs systems? If you think about it for longer than three seconds, the obvious answer is no.

The upgrade apps used by MS don't even have such capability. If you click the "I want a clean install" it will download an ISO and instruct you on how to burn it or put it on an USB drive.

Well it is an optional upgrade right? That's why I'm asking. Believe it or not some people like me are unfamiliar with this upgrade and just saw the popup. If you want to help cool, no need to be an ass.

-----

When I went to sign up I got this for a split second then it went away. Did it again a few times and finally got a picture:

cdf959526a7e2784f431ba2d9fc51243.png

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The thing showed up for me just now.

It's getting close!

Sarcasm

So both my desktop and my wife's broken ass laptop got it.

Is it okay if I put both confirmations to one email or should I use separate for both? I assume the latter one.

Darknight

Any word what versions of Win10 there will be? Say if you have Win7 Basic, do you get Win10 full and Win7 Pro will get Win10 Pro? or maybe everyone gets vanilla win10 since its free?

I've reserved the upgrade, now how do I get rid of this stupid little icon? The only method I can find online suggests removing the entire W10 upgrade update.

I just got the pop up and reserved the update. Now then, one thing I need Microsoft to clarify is if we are going to get a new set of keys for a Windows 10 clean installation or if it only works as an update. And more important, if people will be able to clean reinstall Windows after upgrading during the grace period, whatever case notwithstanding.

I just got the pop up and reserved the update. Now then, one thing I need Microsoft to clarify is if we are going to get a new set of keys for a Windows 10 clean installation or if it only works as an update. And more important, if people will be able to clean reinstall Windows after upgrading during the grace period, whatever case notwithstanding.

Wondering the same, since I am hoping to upgrade to a 1TB SSD as my main drive.

Excited to see this notification pop up on my computer; seriously can't wait for windows 10.

Grinchy

Banned
I got the notification too. It says I'm all set and I'll get a confirmation when Windows 10 is ready to download/install.

I don't think I'll upgrade until I know for sure that it's solid. Windows 8.1 works really well for me and I don't want to fix what isn't broken.

SJRB

Gold Member
So just to confirm, people who aren't in the peview program are getting the pop-up too. ?

I just got it as well, confused the hell out of me because I didn't enroll in anything. It just randomly popped up and I actually had to google to find out if it was legit.

[Win7 user]

Mr_Zombie

How different is it from Windows 7? I use left and right snap endlessly, and haven't kept up with 10 very closely.

Aside from snaping to just left and right, you now also have the option to snap to the top-right, top-left, bottom-right and bottom-left. That means pressing Win+left / Win+right / Win+up will make the window switch between those positions too, not only left, right and fullscreen.

Also, after you snap one application e.g. to the left, on the right side of the screen you will be shown thumbnails of all other opened windows; you can either cancel that or select a window and it will automatically snap to the right side of the screen.

Those features are fine but in some scenarios you will find yourself forced to press more buttons than you need (e.g. to cancel snapping another application, or to move application from being snapped to the left side of the screen to full screen).

One thing I do love about the snap feature in Windows 10 is that if you snap application to the left, resize it (make it thinner, but still snapped to the left) and then snap another application to the right - it will automatically fill all the available space and not only half the screen like it used to in previous Windows.

-SD-

Banned
Windows 7

Got the notification and ended up accidentally reserving Windows 10. Now, if I choose "Cancel", will I get another chance? The "Learn more" and FAQ pages are 404.

Top Bottom