• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Sarcasm

So I have a student W7 upgrade. Says in properties Windows 7 Pro.

Can I assume I get W10 pro? I know W7 Pro gets it, but mine was an upgrade I got through school. I do have a key.

iosefe

That's what I'm thinking as well.

yes, i didn't notice that before.

i've got everything installed, both prerequisite updates, but the icon never showed up, i'm doing the ReserveWin10.cmd in the cmd prompt, waiting for a result, thought i think i'm in a loop

plainr_

yes, i didn't notice that before.

i've got everything installed, both prerequisite updates, but the icon never showed up, i'm doing the ReserveWin10.cmd in the cmd prompt, waiting for a result, thought i think i'm in a loop

The script was the only solution for my Windows 7 machine. Hope that works for you too.

Hey, Windows 10 smarties. I run a lean Win7 setup on a 48GB SSD partition. Works fine (about 10-13GB to spare) since the only major programs I install to C are Adobe and Office. (All libraries/collections live on other drives, and most other apps I run are portable versions on a different drive.)

Anyway, I'd like to know how much space a typical Windows 10 install takes compared to Windows 7. About the same? More? Hopin' I can still roll with 48GB.

Hey, Windows 10 smarties. I run a lean Win7 setup on a 48GB SSD partition. Works fine (about 10-13GB to spare) since the only major programs I install to C are Adobe and Office. (All libraries/collections live on other drives, and most other apps I run are portable versions on a different drive.)

Anyway, I'd like to know how much space a typical Windows 10 install takes compared to Windows 7. About the same? More? Hopin' I can still roll with 48GB.

You need 20GB for the OS (64-bit).

So I have a student W7 upgrade. Says in properties Windows 7 Pro.

Can I assume I get W10 pro? I know W7 Pro gets it, but mine was an upgrade I got through school. I do have a key.

If I remember right, that was just an student price offer and not a different version? The only edition excluded from the promotion is the Enterprise one, so if your computer just says Windows 7 Professional it would upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without problems.

rekameohs

Banned
I was having a lot of trouble getting the icon to show in my Windows 8.1 machine using several approaches, but what got it for me was this excellent batch file that someone linked to in the main Microsoft help thread. Quick-method 2 worked for me. I recommend it to anyone who can't get the icon!

SPDIF

Yeah, and nothing. I will try again later.

Good to know the version number at least.

Have you tried manually checking for updates by going into your active downloads and clicking the button?

aarsbY9.png

Sorry for the large image.

jediyoshi

Ugh the last 2-3 preview updates have destroyed pulling up the start menu for me. There's at least a second delay before it pops up now

Have you tried manually checking for updates by going into your active downloads and clicking the button?

Sorry for the large image.

I am going to give it a shot again tonight.

I was in a similar screen a couple of days ago but didn't see anything for the Xbox App.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I still haven't been able to get the Xbox App updated to a version that can test a streaming connection with my Xbox One.

Version 4.4.21012

I am on a higher version than that, but I cannot get mine to connect to my xbox one. It sees it, but fails to connect.

And you've checked the store for updates? Not the old Windows 8 version with the green tile, but the new Windows 10 version with the blue one? If an app needs updating then there should be a little download icon with the number of apps that need updating next to it, to the left of the search box. I had 24 apps that needed updates, including the Xbox app. I'm now on 5.5.20022 and can test streaming. Not sure why they're not auto-updating.

Yup this is the version I am on. I had to manually download it from the store. Odd that my windows phone smartglass can connect to it, but my PC cannot.

Lulu23

So I had the W10 popup thingy and "reserved" a copy. I didn't get any confirmation email (do you normally?) but I kept the symbol in the taskbar.

I did a fresh W8.1 install a day later because I needed to fix something and now, even with Windows Update up to date.

Have I reserved it or do I need to do something?

Just wait until Final.

Reportedly, yes, but since history says Microsoft has never allowed that, I would take a cautious approach as in just wait. There are still bugs in the current build.

probably not related but apple weren't able to do this when the retail release of yosemite came out. people transitioning from the beta to the final release had to reinstall.

Salaadin

Sooo...if I do this Windows 7 to Windows 10 free upgrade thing, mostly everything on my PC will be in working order? I only use it for gaming, web browsing, and occasional MS Office so Im feeling like all that will be ok. Is this a mostly correct assumption?

I have a 256GB SSD OS drive alongside a 1TB HDD. As far as the install goes, Will there be any additional input needed from me? I always installed my AHCI drivers before I ever installed Windows so, since that was done already, it doesnt need to be done again before upgrading to 7, right?

WIll the upgrade detect my current 7 install and know well enough to use the SSD for everything windows?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
So I had the W10 popup thingy and "reserved" a copy. I didn't get any confirmation email (do you normally?) but I kept the symbol in the taskbar.

I did a fresh W8.1 install a day later because I needed to fix something and now, even with Windows Update up to date.

Have I reserved it or do I need to do something?

Took about a day to get my confirmation email.

So I got the pop up in the taskbar and I clicked to upgrade. It goes through but stucks at somepoint. When I reset my computer I get the following error: WindowsUpdate_C1900101" "WindowsUpdate_dt000", when I search this online I see someone on the windows support site saying to instal from a clean boot. I dont want to do that because I dont want to lose all the important stuff I have on my computer, does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I am worried that I am never going to be able to get Windows 10 working on my computer.

Nope. Can't get the Xbox App to update to 5.5.20022 no matter what I try. Tried reinstalling it from the Store (Beta) and nothing. It isn't in the downloads and installs.

There is one greyed out app in download and installs with no icon that won't install. Maybe that's it?

I am trying to figure out a way to delete/uninstall the app manually to force some sort of fresh install but so far I have found nothing.

Edit: I'm on 10130 via the fast ring if anyone was wondering.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I wish they would un-announce it from my toolbar. I accepted your offer MS what more do you want from me.

Joe

Is xbox one streaming available? Does it perform well?

I'm wondering how it will perform on my low-end laptop (1st gen core i3, 8gb ddr3).

Where is this reserve your copy of W10 thing at exactly?

If you haven't noticed anything yet, there might be a subtle modern Windows icon in the lower right notification area, next to the time and date.

My desktop's currently disconnected from the internet and when I booted up my laptop, it was already in the notification area.

Question to everyone here. In its current form, how is Windows 10?

I'm a Developer and kind of want to start upgrading my apps to the new Windows 10 UAP. I was planning on waiting until it officially came out but for the past few days I have been debating just throwing my machine on the Insider Program which I signed up for back in January but never actually installed.

My questions. Do we know how the upgrade process will go for individuals currently on the Insider version of 10 to the full retail version of Windows 10? I'm assuming it will be as simple as just inputting my Windows 8.1 CD Key and it will turn Genuine?

How stable is the current build? This would be going on my Main PC, and while I dont mind reformatting if stuff goes wrong and tend to actually do that every now and then just to keep the machine running optimal, are there any major problems I may run into?

How does Unity or Android Studio run, does it work?

denx

I have a laptop with Windows 8.1 pre-installed on it. Will I get the upgrade? I still haven't seen the icon, but I recently formatted the laptop so I'm still doing a bunch of updates.

So when you upgrade to Windows 10 do you have it for good or do you have to do payments and shit?

We (as in the rest of us) have it for good, but you specifically need to make regular monthly payments. If you're at least 2 days late on payment, everything on your hard drive gets wiped clean.

obvious joke is obvious

I find it very puzzling that there's still a lot of people that think the Windows 10 upgrade is a subscription.

On another topic, grabbed the build 10130 ISO and installed it on my laptop as a separate OS installation. It works extremely well after installing the missing drivers - and, well, no more audio glitches!

The previous ISO build fared much worse, so I'm glad to see that it's working again. The last one just got stuck on the "Just a moment..." screen.

Trouble

Banned
Those of you having trouble getting the icon to pop up, there's some good info in this thread on answers.microsoft.com. I had to manually install the KB2952664 update and then use the script linked in that thread.

Top Bottom