• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Question to everyone here. In its current form, how is Windows 10?

I'm a Developer and kind of want to start upgrading my apps to the new Windows 10 UAP. I was planning on waiting until it officially came out but for the past few days I have been debating just throwing my machine on the Insider Program which I signed up for back in January but never actually installed.

My questions. Do we know how the upgrade process will go for individuals currently on the Insider version of 10 to the full retail version of Windows 10? I'm assuming it will be as simple as just inputting my Windows 8.1 CD Key and it will turn Genuine?

How stable is the current build? This would be going on my Main PC, and while I dont mind reformatting if stuff goes wrong and tend to actually do that every now and then just to keep the machine running optimal, are there any major problems I may run into?

How does Unity or Android Studio run, does it work?

There are still some minor (e.g. graphical glitches with tiles on menu start) and few major (black screen after waking up on some machines) bugs here and there, but those aren't universal bugs, meaning not every Preview user have them.

When it comes to applications and drivers, I haven't run into any issues yet. Everything that worked on Windows 8.1 works on W10 too.

Raide

I have been running Windows 10 as my main PC for a few months now and outside of a few glitches with graphics, start bars vanishing and sorting out mail problems, everything has been pretty smooth. I actually enjoyed getting updates, reinstalling Windows to see what has changed. I was fairly use to it via the Xbox One Dash Preview stuff but it was fun to see things evolve.

NJDEN

This may have already been answered, so sorry about asking twice if it has.

If I have several Windows 7 & 8 keys stored up from school or older computers, but they are not actively installed on any machines will those keys be upgraded to Windows 10 keys?

I know Microsoft is doing the free upgrade for iterations of Windows already installed on people's computers, but I'm curious about the keys that aren't currently in use.

maeh2k

This may have already been answered, so sorry about asking twice if it has.

If I have several Windows 7 & 8 keys stored up from school or older computers, but they are not actively installed on any machines will those keys be upgraded to Windows 10 keys?

I know Microsoft is doing the free upgrade for iterations of Windows already installed on people's computers, but I'm curious about the keys that aren't currently in use.

Keys don't get upgraded automatically and the upgrade is only free for the first year. So you'd probably have to install Windows with those keys.

NJDEN

Keys don't get upgraded automatically and the upgrade is only free for the first year. So you'd probably have to install Windows with those keys.

Well I was wondering if they had mentioned some kind of web service that changes the keys into Windows 10 keys...

I really hope I don't have to install 15 different versions of Windows in a virtual box just to extract the upgrade keys...

Asked this in a different thread but I'll ask here too:

So after some finicking around with the bat script and stuff I got the reserve logo to come up, but it won't run the check your PC compatibility test, it says it's not available. Yet I know other people can. Any idea if this means my PC is likely not compatible?

Asked this in a different thread but I'll ask here too:

So after some finicking around with the bat script and stuff I got the reserve logo to come up, but it won't run the check your PC compatibility test, it says it's not available. Yet I know other people can. Any idea if this means my PC is likely not compatible?

Maybe the update got corrupted, so you can uninstall and then redownload it. If that still doesn't work and if you don't have Windows 8.1 you may try the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant as the requirements for 10 are pretty much the same.

Bsigg12

Well I was wondering if they had mentioned some kind of web service that changes the keys into Windows 10 keys...

I really hope I don't have to install 15 different versions of Windows in a virtual box just to extract the upgrade keys...

Nope, it has to be done on the active system showing the key as activated.

BIGWORM

Oh good shit. I'm guessing MS already verifies user is running a legit Win7/8 when they register for the Technical Preview?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i have a question for other preview users, do you guys have problems with internet speeds? it seems to crawl on everything i try to download.

BIGWORM

4416617714.png

Nope.

i've got all the updates and no icon

Is your computer:

- Part of a domain/active directory?
- Installed from a volume license key?
- Windows 7/8 Enterprise?

Those things will prevent you from getting the offer. My laptop (8.1 Pro) is joined to the Domain here at work and therefore will not receive the offer. However, I think I will remove the computer from the domain around launch, install the upgrade, and then re-join to the domain once it's on 10.

iosefe

Is your computer:

- Part of a domain/active directory?
- Installed from a volume license key?
- Windows 7/8 Enterprise?

Those things will prevent you from getting the offer. My laptop (8.1 Pro) is joined to the Domain here at work and therefore will not receive the offer. However, I think I will remove the computer from the domain around launch, install the upgrade, and then re-join to the domain once it's on 10.

it's a win 7 SP1 desktop purchase from Costco

i assume i'm not in any domain

Jzero

Asus just came out with the T100 Chi that i just bought and they already announced the T100HA with USB-C and Windows 10. That's what i get for not waiting.

Still haven't gotten the upgrade notification...

Apologies for being person #1468439680 to ask about this, but once I do the upgrade through win 7, can I use the win 7 key directly when doing a clean install of 10? Will this process prevent me from being able to use it to activate win 7 in the future if I find 10's not a good fit with my older laptop?

iosefe

Apologies for being person #1468439680 to ask about this, but once I do the upgrade through win 7, can I use the win 7 key directly when doing a clean install of 10? Will this process prevent me from being able to use it to activate win 7 in the future if I find 10's not a good fit with my older laptop?

there is a tool to retrieve your win 10 key after you've upgraded

So I went on dells website today and checked my pcs dsrivers. A bunch hadn't been updated since 2011. I updated them all and tried the install again. It gets stuck at the same spot with the same error. Grrrrrr!

hm great my pc refuses to update without failures again, hopefully this doesn't break the windows 10 install next month by failing at the very end randomly.

Bessy67

I wasn't getting the notification either so after looking around on the Microsoft support forum I found this:
Open Notepad
Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx
if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
:CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
:RunGWX
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

Click File, and then Save As
In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd
Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)
Select the folder you would like to save the file to. For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder. Then click Save.
Open an elevated command prompt. (From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.)
Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6. In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:
C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

I installed the update that fixed the flyouts not appearing, restart, and when I click on the notification icon the flyout doesn't appear. After a few minutes and retries it did, though.

Great fix!

Can you download the Windows 10 preview now and not having to reinstall it when windows 10 launches? Basically, going from win 10 preview to activated windows 10 without formating or anything?

Skunkers

Dumb question perhaps: I got the tray icon and reserved my copy of Windows 10 on my HTPC/gaming PC, but it hasn't come up on my Transformer T100. I even specifically installed the KB3035583 update and rebooted, and I still don't get the tray icon. If I'm using my Microsoft account as my login on both machines, will it not give me the tray icon again?

Karish

Hoping someone can help me here.

Got the Yoga 2 tablet 10" and installed Win 10 preview on it (latest build). It seems fully functional but Win10 lags like crazy. My guess is this is a drivers issue as it appears to be the more intensive 3D stuff that causes it. Any ideas as to what I can do?

Karish

Hoping someone can help me here.

Got the Yoga 2 tablet 10" and installed Win 10 preview on it (latest build). It seems fully functional but Win10 lags like crazy. My guess is this is a drivers issue as it appears to be the more intensive 3D stuff that causes it. Any ideas as to what I can do?

Fuck yes, solved it. Manually uninstalled the graphics driver and ran windows update and reinstalled it that way.

TTOOLL

Damn, I have no audio anymore. Already tried to install and uninstall drivers, codecs and so on. Nothing works. Any idea to help me?

Drifters

So I went on dells website today and checked my pcs dsrivers. A bunch hadn't been updated since 2011. I updated them all and tried the install again. It gets stuck at the same spot with the same error. Grrrrrr!
Look up and get drivers direct from your vendor of said hardware. Rarely do I ever use Dell generic drivers for things.

Top Bottom