• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

FSLink

Banned
Damn, I have no audio anymore. Already tried to install and uninstall drivers, codecs and so on. Nothing works. Any idea to help me?

I have the same issue but an old driver works. Any way to stop Windows Update from automatically installing the newest driver in this build?

Anyone had this problem? Every time I reboot, somehow my icons are big as hell and I have to manually resize the display to 100% again (even though it is already at 100%).

Happened after 10130.

Spartan/Edge seems to really love crashing when I paste something into a form... It also pretty much stops everything that isn't the foreground tab.

Hopefully, that gets worked out within a year. I think I'll probably stick to using Internet Explorer 11 while I wait for the Edge issues to solve itself out.

Spartan/Edge seems to really love crashing when I paste something into a form... It also pretty much stops everything that isn't the foreground tab.

Hopefully, that gets worked out within a year. I think I'll probably stick to using Internet Explorer 11 while I wait for the Edge issues to solve itself out.

Spartan is just super crash prone in general. Try grabbing a tab and dragging it into a new window. It's super fast, and I love the look, but by god does it need some polish :p

Spartan is just super crash prone in general. Try grabbing a tab and dragging it into a new window. It's super fast, and I love the look, but by god does it need some polish :p
I was really looking forward to Spartan at work. Then I got the first update with it and have consistently removed it from the default. At some point it might be worth using, though I imagine it will be Christmas. It's very possible though that there are a couple of RIs or bugs that have to deal with a lot of the pain, and a more fit version is coming sooner than I expect.

I was really looking forward to Spartan at work. Then I got the first update with it and have consistently removed it from the default. At some point it might be worth using, though I imagine it will be Christmas. It's very possible though that there are a couple of RIs or bugs that have to deal with a lot of the pain, and a more fit version is coming sooner than I expect.

Yeah.

I think I'll blow away the Windows 10 Insider Preview installation on my laptop later today as I don't find a need for it anymore. Tried it out for a few hours with things that I'd actually use on the desktop, and, well, it works mostly fine outside of Spartan/Edge.

I'm wrestling with something that isn't even a windows 10 issue, but has been bugging me since windows 8 at least, maybe even windows 7. At this point though, it's become pretty much intolerable. I like to auto-hide my taskbar, but it seems that if I have a maximized browser, (any browser), then I can't retrieve it by putting my cursor at the bottom of the screen. Even if I hit the start button (used to work in windows 7, I believe) only the start menu and the search bar show up, the task bar stays hidden. The fact that it's all browsers suggests it's a common behaviour of Windows itself and not a browser specific problem, that it's intended design, but it's infuriating to have to minimize my fucking browser every time I want to see my task bar. Googling turns up no useful solutions, either.

Fret

I'm wrestling with something that isn't even a windows 10 issue, but has been bugging me since windows 8 at least, maybe even windows 7. At this point though, it's become pretty much intolerable. I like to auto-hide my taskbar, but it seems that if I have a maximized browser, (any browser), then I can't retrieve it by putting my cursor at the bottom of the screen. Even if I hit the start button (used to work in windows 7, I believe) only the start menu and the search bar show up, the task bar stays hidden. The fact that it's all browsers suggests it's a common behaviour of Windows itself and not a browser specific problem, that it's intended design, but it's infuriating to have to minimize my fucking browser every time I want to see my task bar. Googling turns up no useful solutions, either.

Yeah this is an issue with all Windows versions

Zaptruder

Banned

Fullscreen behaviour is to cover the task bar... and autohide doesn't make the effect of bringing up the task bar a priority.

Use alt+tab to bring up the desktop+bar while fullscreened.

glaurung

Damn, I have no audio anymore. Already tried to install and uninstall drivers, codecs and so on. Nothing works. Any idea to help me?
This is a known issue.

Switch your sound playback device default format to 16 bit.
  1. Open Sound configuration.
  2. Select device, press Properties.
  3. Open the Advanced tab.
  4. Select a new Default Format from the drop-down menu.
  5. Press Test to try it.
  6. Done.

Yeah this is an issue with all Windows versions

Weird. Such an obvious idiosyncrasy, I wonder why they haven't addressed it.

Fullscreen behaviour is to cover the task bar... and autohide doesn't make the effect of bringing up the task bar a priority.

Use alt+tab to bring up the desktop+bar while fullscreened.

The browser's merely maximized, not full screened (F11). A maximized browser is the only thing I know of that does this, too. Explorer doesn't do it, Skype doesn't do it, Steam doesn't do it, VLC doesn't do it. Any other maximized window won't prevent you from accessing your auto-hidden taskbar. Alt+tab brings up the task switcher, which is a fine substitute, but doesn't really explain or fix this bizarre behaviour.

Random17

10122 was great; 10130 is unstable. Start menu and action centre lag, Cortana non-functional again etc

Worse still, there is this weird glitch that causes 100% of my disk writing capacity in task manager to be used. And even stranger; my PC ran out of space despite myself not adding anything major into it.

Has my computer been infected or is this a 10130 thing?

TTOOLL

This is a known issue.

Switch your sound playback device default format to 16 bit.
  1. Open Sound configuration.
  2. Select device, press Properties.
  3. Open the Advanced tab.
  4. Select a new Default Format from the drop-down menu.
  5. Press Test to try it.
  6. Done.

I forgot to post, but I did a clean install and now the sound works again. Thanks for the tips anyway =]

Yeah. This.

Karish

Is it just me or is tablet mode clearly not ready for prime time? Not only is it buggy but switching to it on my Yoga Tablet 2 clearly is causing some sort of memory leak or resource hog. Quickly becomes unusable until a restart. Staying in desktop mode, Win 10 runs pretty well...

The Cowboy

Jut been reading up on W10 after using it a bit more, we can't change the colour of the titlebars ourselves to match the taskbar theme colours?, i really don't like that at all. Its really annoying seeing in my case a blue taskbar and start menu with grey titlebars.

I don't get/like this decision at all, it looks really weird - hopefully someone manages to mod this.

Jut been reading up on W10 after using it a bit more, we can't change the colour of the titlebars ourselves to match the taskbar theme colours?, i really don't like that at all. Its really annoying seeing in my case a blue taskbar and start menu with grey titlebars.

I don't get/like this decision at all, it looks really weird - hopefully someone manages to mod this.

I bet its a regkey change that can be easily altered.

Just tried build 10130, it is nice to see that some game issues are fixed. I remember letting them know about some older games running at low framerates despite the same game running at better framerates with windows 7. utt 99 now runs at 60 fps and dos games like DOOM work where they did not before. Some new issues happened though with some games having the screen blink,anyone notice that on some games?

Drifters

So.... since this thing is shipping in around a months time, I'm really surprised the 10074 channel hasn't gotten a new stable build in a while. Come on MS.

LQX

Finally got around to trying this on a new HT PC I'm building and I'm pretty much sold on upgrading my main system. All the software I frequently use, some of which are very old, seem to work well and I just love the look and feel. First time I tried Windows 8 it was a complete turnoff, where as this was so inviting. Cant wait for the official release and for Windows 10 tablets to start showing up.

BIGWORM

Nice. Slow ring just re-upgraded my installation back to build 10130. The same build that doesn't work with soundblaster Z drivers.

NIIIIIIIIICE. D=<

*edit* And again, rolling back builds kills the left click on system tray items. Gonna SFC and see if that fixes anything.

ignata

So my PC running 8.1 got stuck in the recovery loop, and it's now in a place where I absolutely have to reinstall. After attempting to do so, per a lengthy phone call with Microsoft, I was told by three different CSRs that when I upgraded from 7 to 8 (through a promotion early on in 8's life) that it was a "one time upgrade" and my only option is to re-install 7 and then wait for 10. I asked if the upgrades from 7 and 8 to 10 would also be "one time" upgrades as well, and was told yes.

Does this seem like I spoke with three very misinformed CSRs or has anyone else heard this? And if this is the case, should I just wait to straight up buy 10 so I can at least have a key for it?

RP912

Banned
Had some blue screens recently from 10130. Turn to find out it was the AMD driver update to 14.xx that kept messing up my computer. I hid the update and so far so good.

dLMN8R

Nice. Slow ring just re-upgraded my installation back to build 10130. The same build that doesn't work with soundblaster Z drivers.

NIIIIIIIIICE. D=<

*edit* And again, rolling back builds kills the left click on system tray items. Gonna SFC and see if that fixes anything.

Pretty sure that 10130 is in the slow ring because that bug was fixed via an update that comes down through Windows Update. Did you check that out?

NIIIIIIIIICE. D=<

Apparently Creative is pushing out some new SB Z drivers for Windows 10 in a few weeks. Long wait ahead of you.

BIGWORM

Pretty sure that 10130 is in the slow ring because that bug was fixed via an update that comes down through Windows Update. Did you check that out?

Nope. Saw I was updated to 10130 and noped the fuck outta there.

Apparently Creative is pushing out some new SB Z drivers for Windows 10 in a few weeks. Long wait ahead of you.

Took a look on the Creative website, and the Win10 update chart on their site said "early June" for SBZ. We're already midway through...

Klocker

On 10130 now slow ring and no glaring issues on Surface Pro 1 *edit... except ""hey Cortland" often does not work

Getting a Surface 3 this week and probably rolling that to w10 preview. Love it too much to go to 8.1

I have a Logitech G510 keyboard, and if I quickly flick the volume wheel, the monitors will briefly black out and the screen will make a beeping noise. It does this even when programs are overriding the media keys and that volume control doesn't work. It'll behave if I turn the volume wheel slowly, though. Is this a common issue, or expected behavour? It reminds me of when you freak out a computer at startup by mashing your keyboard.

Nesotenso

so does upgrading to windows 10 work like the refresh option? So all my old files will remain intact and all my installed apps will no longer be there? If I remember, refreshing windows 8/8.1 creates a windows.old folder with all the previously installed apps.

so does upgrading to windows 10 work like the refresh option? So all my old files will remain intact and all my installed apps will no longer be there? If I remember, refreshing windows 8/8.1 creates a windows.old folder with all the previously installed apps.
Everything will still be there after you finish upgrading. Including all of your installed applications.

On my Android devices, they have live wallpapers for desktop background. Are there any live wallpapers for Windows 10? I would love to have the Star Warp-Field live background, especially that I have 4 monitors at various angles.

Jzero

On my Android devices, they have live wallpapers for desktop background. Are there any live wallpapers for Windows 10? I would love to have the Star Warp-Field live background, especially that I have 4 monitors at various angles.

They used to have it on Windows Vista but it hasn't been built in since.

M3d10n

I really hope Microsoft does something about DPI scaling before the RTM. Not only it's filled with bugs (some tiles have their icons blown up, the scaling sliders show wrong values, some icons are resized using point filtering, etc), but on 10130 enabling Win8DpiScaling on the registry no longer works. That's the "use the same scaling across all displays" option from 8.1 that is nowhere to be found in Windows 10 and disables the horrible blurry scaling of programs that don't support high DPI when you use any scaling above 100%.

Now I have to check the "disable high DPI scaling" compatibility box for every exe to have them not become a blurry mess. Problem is, some Windows programs like MMC and resmon don't have the compatibility tab and are still blurry.

I have no idea why MS thinks it's a good idea to resize windows using bilinear filtering in any situation other than multiple monitors with different DPIs. The legacy scaling works perfectly well in single display and when all displays have similar DPIs.

For legacy apps, they should report the DPI of the display with the highest scaling value and scale it down using bilinear when the window is moved to the display with the smaller DPI. This would ensure best quality.

And yes, I've written about it on the Windows feedback app. No idea if they read non-English feedback, however.

RiverBed

Banned
I'm using the latest Firefox with the latest Win 10 build and Firefox is crashing multiple times a day. Anyone else having this problem?

Top Bottom