• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I didn't get the notification thing either, and running legit windows 7 sp1 here. I noticed in my list of updates I have about 20 that have failed and windows never told me. Spent hours last night trying to get Windows Update to reset those failed ones and try and reinstall them and couldn't get it to do it. Why is MS's WIndows Update terrible about that? So damn annoying. I don't know if I'll ever get the notification because I can't get the KB295266something update to install. I even downloaded that directly from MS and it won't install.

Hopefully MS sets up something where people can get copies of Windows 10 for their legit copies of 7 and 8.1 that aren't getting this stupid notification thing. On their community forum there are a ton of people having this issue.

M3d10n

No it's AHCI before/after. I'm not changing it. But it does act like that scenario.
Sounds like some motherboard incompatibility. Maybe you can try installing with AHCI disabled and try enabling it afterwards using the method from the article.

TheContact

I didn't get the notification thing either, and running legit windows 7 sp1 here. I noticed in my list of updates I have about 20 that have failed and windows never told me. Spent hours last night trying to get Windows Update to reset those failed ones and try and reinstall them and couldn't get it to do it. Why is MS's WIndows Update terrible about that? So damn annoying. I don't know if I'll ever get the notification because I can't get the KB295266something update to install. I even downloaded that directly from MS and it won't install.

Hopefully MS sets up something where people can get copies of Windows 10 for their legit copies of 7 and 8.1 that aren't getting this stupid notification thing. On their community forum there are a ton of people having this issue.

My laptop did but my desktop didn't

my pc has the same issues, i cant update my win 8.1 since early feb due to a failed update, i cleared everything, ran windows inspector to fix issues, everything i can do including trying one single update at a time.. always fails and reverts on pc boot up.

im pretty much stuck on this version of windows until i can fresh install, which i cant as this was using an upgrade from win7 which i originally got from my old university and have no burned win7 disc left over.

the windows 8.1 tablet i am using right now is up to date but no win 10 icon yet.

CaptainABAB

I don't understand the Microsoft thought process on how this upgrade is rolling out.

Maybe I am biased because I am a software developer and a release manager dealing with deployment of large complex systems.

Here would be my release process:

1. Finish coding first before announcing a date

2. Release the RTM code to the Insiders program first

3. Once the build looks good there, release it as an update that requires users to manually initiate the update process via a download or something similar (to limit it to somewhat advanced users/enthusiasts)

4. Once the build passes that step and looks good, release it via the taskbar notification in stages to the general public.

This way, people who want it earlier get it when they want and the general public gets it after it passes several quality bars.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
1. OneDrive has an "cloud" Recycle Bin - you can restore any files deleted. I see files I deleted going back to July 2014.

This way, if your sync ever did delete files (never happened to me), you can restore your files.

2. For certain doc types (I think only office files - Excel, Word, etc.) have version history. Make a mistake in an Excel spreadsheet? You can go back to a prior version.

3. If you do not trust your OneDrive setup, you can do the following:

- Kill the OneDrive Sync Engine in Task Explorer
- Delete the OneDrive folder completely (or rename it with .bak)
- Start OneDrive again - it should kick-off the New Setup wizard which will ask you where it should sync files. Pick a new folder and it will create the folder structure from OneDrive and re-download the files

The thing I'm worried about is that the files didn't seem to get deleted in the traditional sense, they're not in the local recycle bin or anything, they're just gone. It looks like about 50GB worth of files just disappeared. Frankly it's inexcusable for something like that to happen, the files were stored locally on a different drive.

The files that are missing seem random, I have entire folders that are now empty and then I have other folders where 1 file is missing (a folder with files I haven't touched since 2007) and another where 8 out of 25 files are missing. That's just from checking random folders.

What will likely happen if I let my restored Windows 8 resync is that those files will show up as Online Only and I'll be able to resync them but since as I said the files are not deleted just missing I'm not taking any changes that OneDrive won't just remove those files from the cloud as well. I know they'd probably go to the Recycle Bin but this is important work and I'm not willing to assume things will work one way and then have something even more catastrophic happen.

Having to go through this also highlights how terrible the OneDrive app and website are for retrieving files. I can't download a whole folder 1 file at a time, I can only get a zip file which is downloading at between 200k-1.5MB on a 60Mb connection and then fails to download half the time and just stops midway though. When I have folders that are 31GBs in size that I now need to redownload this presents a serious issue.

This whole thing is a clusterfuck and it's inexcusable.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Internal builds are supposed to be months ahead of preview builds..
eh, i don't think so. they don't do things like they traditionally have. the internal builds that are not good enough for the fast ring don't get released. there are usually only a few build numbers between the ones that go to insiders. So internal builds are probably a week or 2 ahead of insider builds.

eh, i don't think so. they don't do things like they traditionally have. the internal builds that are not good enough for the fast ring don't get released. there are usually only a few build numbers between the ones that go to insiders. So internal builds are probably a week or 2 ahead of insider builds.

I believe 10122 was tested internally for five weeks before it hit fast ring.

Aesthet1c

So I'm on Windows 8.1 but I still don't see an upgrade icon for Windows 10. My Windows license is for Windows 8, and I did the manual update to 8.1. Are only 8.1 licenses valid to upgrade to Windows 10?

kharma45

So I'm on Windows 8.1 but I still don't see an upgrade icon for Windows 10. My Windows license is for Windows 8, and I did the manual update to 8.1. Are only 8.1 licenses valid to upgrade to Windows 10?

You are eligible. Give it a bit more time, or if not, try some of the options out there to force it like removing one of the recent Windows Updates.

niunhuiio

out of curiosity is windows 10 keeping the grey window borders? last I heard they were placeholders and with a month till RTM doesn't seem like we're going to get colorful windows - not that i'm complaining
edit: seems like that function of windows aero isn't coming back

I fixed my update issues on my pc by setting a service to auto instead of manual, something had changed and it was getting in the way of the back end of updates somehow, after weeks of trying to fix it all it took was a youtube video...

My win8.1 tablet still doesn't have the upgrade choice yet.

Tehalemi

I fixed my update issues on my pc by setting a service to auto instead of manual, something had changed and it was getting in the way of the back end of updates somehow, after weeks of trying to fix it all it took was a youtube video...

My win8.1 tablet still doesn't have the upgrade choice yet.

There have been occasions with me where updates would fail checks or installations, and Windows would recommend I run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

It would run a diagnostic, show what may have been wrong with Windows Update, then repair the problems. That's always solved my issues and Windows Update goes on running normally, but I don't know if that solves the upgrade notice. (I have a Windows 8.1 laptop btw.)

M3d10n

There have been occasions with me where updates would fail checks or installations, and Windows would recommend I run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262

It would run a diagnostic, show what may have been wrong with Windows Update, then repair the problems. That's always solved my issues and Windows Update goes on running normally, but I don't know if that solves the upgrade notice. (I have a Windows 8.1 laptop btw.)

The upgrade notice seems to perform a compatibility check (very similar to the Windows Upgrade Advisor) before it shows up. Since it scans the whole hdd in background, it can take a while depending on your system.

What update ring are you on? If you've not yet been prompted for download you're probably on the slow ring which is the default. You'll have to change it to the fast ring, or just wait a week or so for the update to make its way to the slow ring.

Yeah it was on slow, I put it on Fast yesterday.

Installed the the preview on a partition and I really have no complaints, is there a way to set up the lock screen without the pictures? I'd rather not have to wait for the background to finish moving before I can type in my password.

Mr_Zombie

out of curiosity is windows 10 keeping the grey window borders? last I heard they were placeholders and with a month till RTM doesn't seem like we're going to get colorful windows - not that i'm complaining
edit: seems like that function of windows aero isn't coming back

In latest build (10130) the title bar is still light greyish/white but the active window has thin colorful border. I think it's still work in progress though, since no matter what color I choose for menu start, taskbar and other interface elements, the border stays violet.

StillEdge

I got the pop up to upgrade and signed up for it without finding out if I upgrade is it going to wipe my whole computer clean? Do I need to get an external to back up photos and things like that?

glaurung

I got the pop up to upgrade and signed up for it without finding out if I upgrade is it going to wipe my whole computer clean? Do I need to get an external to back up photos and things like that?
Doing the upgrade won't affect you files in any way.

But it always makes sense to backup your stuff anyway.

M3d10n

I just caught GWXConfigManager.exe scanning all my programs in the Technical Preview. Went to its location and found GWX.exe, the same one responsible for displaying the "Get Windows 10" notification on 7, 8 and 8.1.

Seems a good indication that MS plans to upgrade TP users to the RTM, because this same scan was done in 7/8/8.1 to check for compatibility issues.

I also got the pop up for the upgrade. The thing is that I'm still running my old 60GB SSD. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger one. When I buy a new one can I install it on the new drive or will it replace my old windows on my current one. Any idea what I should do first before I reserve the upgrade?

How do I update the Xbox App?

I think I am running an older version since I can't run the streaming test between Xbox One and the App.

I am an Xbox Update preview member if that makes a difference.

Overall, Windows 10 is strange so far. It feels notably different and will take some getting used to. I have encountered a few glitches so far that I need to get around to reporting.

Running Windows Update yielded quite little actual updates to install. That caught me be surprise. I am assuming everything is technically up-to-date.

Also, it was strange to be running this off my new SSD but still launching apps off my HDD that has 8.1 installed. There seems to be some cross-compatibility between the two OSes. I didn't expect Steam to auto log me on. I assumed it would recognize my Windows 10 install as a new PC.

I just caught GWXConfigManager.exe scanning all my programs in the Technical Preview. Went to its location and found GWX.exe, the same one responsible for displaying the "Get Windows 10" notification on 7, 8 and 8.1.

Seems a good indication that MS plans to upgrade TP users to the RTM, because this same scan was done in 7/8/8.1 to check for compatibility issues.

I don't know why I find it scary to know that some program is running in the background and sending info back to MS regarding eligibility. I mean, that's a standard feature at this point.

I was reading a couple of sites that seem to think that TP is going to be upgraded to RTM. Nothing concrete though.

n64coder

Ok, I'm having a bit of a crisis.

I installed the technical preview over my 8.1 installation this afternoon because I just finished a project and had some time. I noticed that one of my projects was corrupted in my OneDrive folder. Looking around I'm seeing a lot of missing files, files that were all stored locally. I'm freaking out because it's months worth of work.

I see the files online in OneDrive but I'm afraid to let it sync since I don't know if OneDrive online will think the files are deleted and remove them from the cloud as well.

Why would the OneDrive app remove locally stored files that aren't stored on the system drive? I'm not sure what to do here.

Did you look in your online trash folder? I had a situation recently where I lost a bunch of files. The problem was that I moved my OneDrive folder from C: to a different drive. That part was fine. The issue was that a week later, I had trouble with the installation of a USB bluetooth device and decided to do a system restore to resolve it. Well, I did it a few times and went to a restore point prior to the move of my OneDrive folder!! Shit, a bunch of my files were gone!

Fortunately, they were all in the online trash folder. I selected them all, selected "undo" or something similar and then after awhile, they were restored to my local drive.

Anyone using windows 10 with the xbox app, is it any good? Does it show now playing or record clips and save them even if its not a xbox/windows marketplace game? (ie steam)

When I did the online upgrade from win7 to win8 last summer the only things I lost were items installed and registered, for example my copy of 3dsmax, paint shop pro, some games which had installed exe files but everything else like images, photos, save files, all my dev work was fine.

I'd back up important information first however just in case, and keep disc based software you own no standby to reinstall after the update.

Mistake

I just read that windows 10 updates will only be optional for pro or higher? That gives me a bad feeling, like seeing my friend's xbox 360 start screen.

FyreWulff

I just read that windows 10 updates will only be optional for pro or higher? That gives me a bad feeling, like seeing my friend's xbox 360 start screen.

They're optional for everyone

edit: thought you were talking about win7/8->10.

10 itself, why would you want an unupdated OS as a consumer in this world of zero day exploits and botnets? the box release is dead.

Mistake

10 itself, why would you want an unupdated OS as a consumer in this world of zero day exploits and botnets? the box release is dead.
The security I get, but it's all the extra crap that I'm sure will be forced on me that I don't want. If that starts to happen, I'm downgrading.

FyreWulff

The security I get, but it's all the extra crap that I'm sure will be forced on me that I don't want. If that starts to happen, I'm downgrading.

Don't think that will happen. We're talking about a company that kept everyone on IE6 via Windows Update in XP until 12 years after it came out, when the exploits were getting so bad that they finally offered IE8 as an automatic update to clean up the last of the IE6 botnets.

Heck, they still make you manually update to Windows 8.1 to get the 'start button' back.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Did you look in your online trash folder? I had a situation recently where I lost a bunch of files. The problem was that I moved my OneDrive folder from C: to a different drive. That part was fine. The issue was that a week later, I had trouble with the installation of a USB bluetooth device and decided to do a system restore to resolve it. Well, I did it a few times and went to a restore point prior to the move of my OneDrive folder!! Shit, a bunch of my files were gone!

Fortunately, they were all in the online trash folder. I selected them all, selected "undo" or something similar and then after awhile, they were restored to my local drive.

Nothing online was moved, and I did look in the Recycle Bin, it was just local files that are missing. When I looked via the website all my files were there.

I ended up buying another hard drive and I'm rebuilding my OneDrive folder but I had over 400k files and 550+ GB of data so it'll be a while. I'm copying over whatever files still remained on the old drive and I'm in the process of redownloading the rest now.

None of this should have been necessary however. I have no idea why OneDrive decided to just randomly delete hundreds of files.

j-wood

Do you get this upgrade per copy of windows you own? Or is it a per user/email basis?

For example, I have a gaming PC with windows 7, and a SP3 with windows 8.1. Will I get to upgrade both to 10 for free?

Nothing online was moved, and I did look in the Recycle Bin, it was just local files that are missing. When I looked via the website all my files were there.

I ended up buying another hard drive and I'm rebuilding my OneDrive folder but I had over 400k files and 550+ GB of data so it'll be a while. I'm copying over whatever files still remained on the old drive and I'm in the process of redownloading the rest now.

None of this should have been necessary however. I have no idea why OneDrive decided to just randomly delete hundreds of files.

That's inexcusable man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'll send out a feeler and see if anyone knows anything about this.

Quick

Banned
Does the Windows 10 notification show up on Windows 7? I got it for my Windows 8.1 PC, but not my Windoes 7 PC.

Jezbollah

I hope the final version of W10 is better than their latest tech preview. Loaded it into a VM and the Start button doesnt work at all..

So what I read here is true?

Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

If so I might just upgrade to Windows 8.1 and stay there for the time being. I don't mind security updates and all but if it's a blanket check for Microsoft to put whatever they want on my PC without the ability to deny it, no thanks :/

FyreWulff

So what I read here is true?

If so I might just upgrade to Windows 8.1 and stay there for the time being. I don't mind security updates and all but if it's a blanket check for Microsoft to put whatever they want on my PC without the ability to deny it, no thanks :/

I can't remember the last time Microsoft has actually shipped software via Windows Update.

What's going to happen is stuff like Edge will update -themselves-, but you're not going to wake up with a new browser or word processors or any other feature-software installed.

Jezbollah

That happened to me with this build. This fixed it

Cheers. I got that fix elsewhere but thanks for posting it - hope it helps anyone else with the issue.

I just saw that my C drive is only 150gb used of 500mb on my SSD - I may take a Windows System Image backup and upgrade to the latest Dev build on my main machine for shits and giggles.

StudioTan

That's inexcusable man, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'll send out a feeler and see if anyone knows anything about this.

Thank you. If you need more info let me know.

It was an upgrade of an existing 8.1 install and my OneDrive folder is on my D drive.

Top Bottom