• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I can't remember the last time Microsoft has actually shipped software via Windows Update.

What's going to happen is stuff like Edge will update -themselves-, but you're not going to wake up with a new browser or word processors or any other feature-software installed.

Well that's the thing I'm not so sure about, they give us Windows 10 for free, what says they won't do as they please? I'm also worried about larger updates as from 8.0 --> 8.1 what if I don't wish for such a UI changing update to be installed? Security or not, in the end the end-user should always have the ability to override, if they take us this control PCs are a big step closer to operating-systems like iOS and I don't like this thought :/

Went back to win10 on my SP3

Newer build is much better, there are still many bugs and instability issues but it's all coming along very nicely.

One thing made me worry, though. Activating transparency kills the smoothness completely of the start menu/screen or the action center.

(Though I'm not sure if they installed the display adapter graphics, it installed something though, because when I went back it was terrible until a firmware update)

will have to check out the latest update, anyone know if the game issues are fixed? start prevented games from starting because of a bug in a recent build.

They are just going to be pushing the RTM update which gives us a full build at the end of the preview period.
So you'll enter either a valid 8 or 7 key during the final update/install or is it just going to be gifted to testers? I don't mind reinstalling am older is one last time, it's just time consuming.

CoolS

I also got the pop up for the upgrade. The thing is that I'm still running my old 60GB SSD. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger one. When I buy a new one can I install it on the new drive or will it replace my old windows on my current one. Any idea what I should do first before I reserve the upgrade?
Id like to know this as well

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They are just going to be pushing the RTM update which gives us a full build at the end of the preview period.

So those who download the preview now essentially get a free copy of the OS?

I also got the pop up for the upgrade. The thing is that I'm still running my old 60GB SSD. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger one. When I buy a new one can I install it on the new drive or will it replace my old windows on my current one. Any idea what I should do first before I reserve the upgrade?
That's sort of the boat I'm in. I wish to upgrade my old harddrive to an SSD, and I'd preferably want to start with a fresh Windows 10 installation on the new one, and just mount the older HDD as another drive, keeping all my data on it. I'm hoping I can just do a fresh installation on the new thing with my existing 7 or 8 key. Considering they keep calling it an "update", I'm wondering if I have to bite the bullet and do it in a few extra, pain in the arse steps. If I can avoid having to install another 7 and upgrading it separately, I would like to do that.

Sickbean

Not done a fresh install for a while.

Is there any issue with display drivers for the install screens if I'm outputting via HDMI only (to a TV)??

Not done a fresh install for a while.

Is there any issue with display drivers for the install screens if I'm outputting via HDMI only (to a TV)??
I have a PC in my living room set up just like that on an HDTV via HDMI. No issues on 7,8 or 10 for me. Seems completely supported by the installer as far as I've experienced.

noomi

So after a lot of hesitation I have now reserved my copy of Windows 10.

I'm a big fan of Windows 7 and it is easily my favorite OS next to XP. I went ahead and pulled the trigger mainly due to directx12 being exclusive and I am a BIG PC gamer...

I have a few concerns however....

- I currently use Win7 Home Premium, this will allow to to get to Win10 Home.... but what if I want Win10 pro? Can I "buy up"?

- I am hearing that we are now forced to download OS updates and no longer have an option to select/postpone updates. This sucks... I want to chose what and when I want to download. I hope this is something we can change later on.

- What about fresh installs? I never liked the idea of "upgrading" an OS, it always leaves behind old files. As much of a pain in the ass it will be to do, I'd rather just do a fresh install and restore my backed up files.

- How will Windows 10 be with gaming, better than Windows 10 in terms of performance?

glaurung

I currently use Win7 Home Premium, this will allow to to get to Win10 Home.... but what if I want Win10 pro? Can I "buy up"?
Yes. I think the upgrade token price is $99 or your local equivalent.
I am hearing that we are now forced to download OS updates and no longer have an option to select/postpone updates. This sucks... I want to chose what and when I want to download. I hope this is something we can change later on.
Don't really see a problem with this.
What about fresh installs? I never liked the idea of "upgrading" an OS, it always leaves behind old files. As much of a pain in the ass it will be to do, I'd rather just do a fresh install and restore my backed up files.
Apparently there will be a way to perform a fresh install. More details should be made available nearing release.
How will Windows 10 be with gaming, better than Windows 10 in terms of performance?
No idea.

Diablos

It seems line W10 is a bit more flexible when it comes to licensing. True?

For example when I receive my key, can I use it for my destkop instead (will likely just put Win7 on my laptop)?

noomi

Yes. I think the upgrade token price is $99 or your local equivalent. Don't really see a problem with this.Apparently there will be a way to perform a fresh install. More details should be made available nearing release. No idea.

Thank you for the reply!

I just like having control over my updates, especially when windows sometimes includes updates for skype or bing, which I always skip over.

Guys will this windows 10 give me option of keeping my W7 install?

Because I don't see it.
Oh man, I still remember when I thought I wanted that when I updated to 8 from 7. Huge headache and still ongoing issues from both installations existing at one point. I erased my 7 install. I would not recommend trying this.

plainr_

Finally got the notification to show up on my Dell venue 8 tablet. No matter what I did, it didn't want to install the KB3035583 update via Windows Update. Had to manually install the cab file via command prompt.

I still haven't been able to get the Xbox App updated to a version that can test a streaming connection with my Xbox One.

Version 4.4.21012

I installed the latest preview on my old C2D machine at home because I got an SSD and was going to have to mess with it anyway, and overall it's running really well and everything works except the sound card. This machine has an X-Fi and I was unhappy to find out that Creative won't have native drivers available for some time. I tried force installing the Win8 drivers and the sound works but it's really buggy and the creative control panel, etc. can't find the card so I have very little control over it, just the Windows tools.

I may just switch over to the motherboard sound until Creative gets those drivers done which won't be until October according to Creative.

iosefe

Finally got the notification to show up on my Dell venue 8 tablet. No matter what I did, it didn't want to install the KB3035583 update via Windows Update. Had to manually install the cab file via command prompt.
I've looked in my available and installed updates and KB3035583 isn't anywhere. What's the procedure to do that? I'm on Win7

diehard

Fleer
just to verify, if i install the preview right now.. when it goes RTM it will only require an update and not a full reinstall /in-place upgrade?

just to verify, if i install the preview right now.. when it goes RTM it will only require an update and not a full reinstall /in-place upgrade?

I don't think they've said yet, but it'll probably just be another update.

Overall, I think they're close to being launch-ready, but Edge still needs a lot of TLC. It's fast, but it's not really feature complete and not what I'd call stable.

clav

Just wait until Final.

Reportedly, yes, but since history says Microsoft has never allowed that, I would take a cautious approach as in just wait. There are still bugs in the current build.

SPDIF

I still haven't been able to get the Xbox App updated to a version that can test a streaming connection with my Xbox One.

Version 4.4.21012

And you've checked the store for updates? Not the old Windows 8 version with the green tile, but the new Windows 10 version with the blue one? If an app needs updating then there should be a little download icon with the number of apps that need updating next to it, to the left of the search box. I had 24 apps that needed updates, including the Xbox app. I'm now on 5.5.20022 and can test streaming. Not sure why they're not auto-updating.

iosefe

Follow post #5 in this link.

didn't work for me

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\temp\windows8.1-kb
3035583-x64_569671257f46c76e5f5d2f53b1c35500447ad302.cab

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image Version: 6.1.7601.18489

Processing 1 of 1 - Adding package Package_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~
~6.3.1.29

Error: 0x800f081e

The specified package is not applicable to this image.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>

DarkFlow

Banned
So those who download the preview now essentially get a free copy of the OS?

I upgraded my copy of 8.1 to 10 so my key is already linked to it.

Thank you for the reply!

I just like having control over my updates, especially when windows sometimes includes updates for skype or bing, which I always skip over.
Then you need to upgrade to Pro. Pro lets you control updates like Enterprise.

And you've checked the store for updates? Not the old Windows 8 version with the green tile, but the new Windows 10 version with the blue one? If an app needs updating then there should be a little download icon with the number of apps that need updating next to it, to the left of the search box. I had 24 apps that needed updates, including the Xbox app. I'm now on 5.5.20022 and can test streaming. Not sure why they're not auto-updating.

Yeah, and nothing. I will try again later.

Good to know the version number at least.

Top Bottom