• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Now I have to check the "disable high DPI scaling" compatibility box for every exe to have them not become a blurry mess. Problem is, some Windows programs like MMC and resmon don't have the compatibility tab and are still blurry.
That is one thing that bothers me about Windows. At least get ALL of your own applications properly supporting your DPI scaling solution, Microsoft.

And standardize on UI while you're at it. Windows 10 has gotten better about this, but 8.1 definitely feels like if you dig hard enough, you can find UI elements/menus that are practically right out of Windows 2000 or something.

M3d10n

That is one thing that bothers me about Windows. At least get ALL of your own applications properly supporting your DPI scaling solution, Microsoft.

And standardize on UI while you're at it. Windows 10 has gotten better about this, but 8.1 definitely feels like if you dig hard enough, you can find UI elements/menus that are practically right out of Windows 2000 or something.

What irks me the most is that the "legacy" DPI scaling *does* work. I used it during all my time with 8.1 (I use 125% scaling) and didn't have any major problems. Buttons, icons and text elements got bigger as expected. Some programs outright ignore it, yes, and would look tiny on 200% scaling required for 4K, but in my experience 100% of the time the problem is with programs that do custom UI elements (Steam, Photoshop, anything made with Java) while everything that uses MFC, Windows Forms and other Windows-specific UI frameworks scale properly, so I believe the "blurry mess scaling" should be opt-in instead of opt-out.

Microsoft could also implement a global whitelist that is updated, like Smart Screen, so we don't need to mess with individual EXEs. The Resource Monitor, the MMC and all other "blurry" Windows programs do work perfectly with the legacy scaling, there's zero reason for them to become blurry messes and a system-wide whitelist could fix them without the need to mess with their source code.

danthefan

Decided to pull the trigger here and download the preview, installing now. I don't mind Windows 7 but just got a bit restless waiting for the official release of W10. Hopefully it just goes seamlessly from the preview to the full version of W10 and I don't have to go back to W7 because I can't find my installation disks.

danthefan

Decided to pull the trigger here and download the preview, installing now. I don't mind Windows 7 but just got a bit restless waiting for the official release of W10. Hopefully it just goes seamlessly from the preview to the full version of W10 and I don't have to go back to W7 because I can't find my installation disks.

Quoting myself (sorry) but dang that upgrade was painless. Now posting from Windows 10. It brought all my programs and stuff with it which I didn't realise it was going to do.

danthefan

So everything seems fine... except I can't drag and drop anything on the desktop. If I open a folder the functionality is there. Anyone had this problem and know how it fix it?

RdN

Hey guys, do we know if when the final version releases, those on the tech preview will be updated to it automatically?

VoxPop

I want to install the W10 preview. Is everything going to stay the same? Will I be able to continue playing my games and using my programs? How bug filled is it right now?

BIGWORM

I want to install the W10 preview. Is everything going to stay the same? Will I be able to continue playing my games and using my programs? How bug filled is it right now?

Couple of minor app incompatibilities (here's looking at you, Samsung), other than that, I've had no problems running almost off of my programs and games with no problem.

Noema

Finally got 10130 on the slow ring.

Got hit by the audio bug. Specifically, I'm running an X-Fi Creative Sound board and I had to roll back to an older driver to get it to work.

Other than that, this build runs much, much better than 10070 which ran like absolute dogshit on my aging Core 2 Duo rig. I can actually use search and the start menu on this build!

BIGWORM

Finally got 10130 on the slow ring.

Got hit by the audio bug. Specifically, I'm running an X-Fi Creative Sound board and I had to roll back to an older driver to get it to work.

Other than that, this build runs much, much better than 10070 which ran like absolute dogshit on my aging Core 2 Duo rig. I can actually use search and the start menu on this build!

Supposedly MS is distributing a hotfix for the Soundblaster issue. Can you look into it? I'm gonna have to re-install 10074 fresh and disable the Windows Update service if that sound bug isn't fixed. =/

VoxPop

Decided to install it on a separate partition since I don't wanna risk losing anything. If its to my liking I'll install it on top of my 8.1 install. Putting the ISO on a USB. Do I have to format it as NTFS or FAT32?

VoxPop

Just installed it and its great! A nice upgrade over 8.1. Love the start bar. Spartan is nice. Is there an adblock extension for it yet?

Saprol

Installed 8.1 a week ago but I can't even update to the point where I can reserve it. Might install the insider preview to upgrade when the RTM happens. That works right?

clav

I tried Xbox One streaming today.

Works well although highly dependent on bandwidth. Was hitting 6-11 Mbps of bandwidth used on a 2 bar wireless signal (i.e. can probably conclude streaming will max out the bandwidth and strain the network), so this isn't going to be ready for mobile (away from home) any time soon unless you have a high upload. There's a bandwidth graph that a user can select by pressing the hamburger menu key.

Played on a 1024x768 monitor setup, and I could still see things. I played with a Xbox 360 controller wirelessly, so yes, you can lug a Xbox 360 controller around with you. Very happy about that even though I like the XB1 controller better. The Xbox dashboard will even detect that it's connected from that PC and identify you. You can even buzz it, too.

Ran through a few levels of Banjo-Kazooie via the backwards compatibility feature. Mostly trouble-free although I had some difficulty on the narrow curves (i.e. jumping onto small platforms and platforms that require a lot of camera switching). The audio blipped occasionally with the network adjusting to the variable bandwidth rate.

Playable, and the delay isn't that noticeable. I suppose it would affect fighting games though since you need to count frames.

I'll try Halo MCC later. Multiplayer will be a true test.

clav

Finished a Halo MP match after switching to a 1920x1080 capable monitor.

Thoughts:

1. Since streaming is already very bandwidth intensive, I saw a lot of dropped frames during that multiplayer session. Still could pull off some kills, but with the screen jumping + dropping some critical frames, an enemy would just come out of nowhere, and I would be at a 1-2 shot disadvantage.

2. You can adjust the stream quality by clicking on the wireless beacon icon in the upper right hand corner. Default is Medium. I have not played with it.

3. Bandwidth fluctuates due to how much content is on the screen. I averaged 6 Mbps for dynamic scenes and about 1-2 Mbps for static scenes.

4. I can see this feature usable with single player over a wireless network although I have concerns for multiplayer. Double the bandwidth I stated in #2, and that's how much streaming will eat the network. Plug the Xbox One via wired if you want the best experience.

5. Recording features (Windows G Key) are disabled due to my card. It requires a recent Nvidia (600+), AMD (7900+), or Intel (4000+) for it to work.

6. Xbox App only consumed about 85 MB during the streaming process with some CPU usage. The CPU I have is a dated Pentium (Core 2 with 1 MB of cache). Usage was around 25-50% depending on screen images.

7. Switching to different applications will disconnect the stream probably for Microsoft's app guideline to freeze apps when not in focus.

8. Controllers do rumble while firing.

9. Pressing the Xbox Home button does nothing on the 360 controller. A prompt will appear asking the user, "Do you want to open the Game Hub?" with a checkbox saying: "This is a game."

Screenshots:

gvjD9SP.jpg

rWvcBvr.jpg

tywRvZe.jpg

aLKSx2q.jpg

UGaUHxu.jpg

FuvkvAA.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
Finished a Halo MP match after switching to a 1920x1080 capable monitor.

Thoughts:

Thanks for the write up.. What is your wireless speed at? Are you running on the 5ghz spectrum? After using inSSIDer to survey my local network congestion I switched to the 5ghz spectrum to get 300mbps wifi. After doing so my steam streaming went from a choppy mess to near perfect.

IamAwake

What does NTFS stand for... I'm afraid to click on that link since this is my mom's computer. Will I have to clear my history? :(

You are thinking of NSFW as in Not Safe for Work.

NTFS is a file type system. Like FAT32, EXT4, and many others. NTFS is the normal file system for Windows installations.

danthefan

Guys sorry for asking again but the previous post is going to get lost: I can't currently drag and drop anything to/from/on the desktop. Is this due to some setting that has it locked? Google didn't yield anything useful.

Mistake

What does NTFS stand for... I'm afraid to click on that link since this is my mom's computer. Will I have to clear my history? :(
No Time For Shit. You'll be fine unless your family are robots.

I decided I will update to 10 about a month after release, provided most things get ironed out. I just got 8.1 a few weeks ago, but it doesn't feel as fluid as 7.

clav

Thanks for the write up.. What is your wireless speed at? Are you running on the 5ghz spectrum? After using inSSIDer to survey my local network congestion I switched to the 5ghz spectrum to get 300mbps wifi. After doing so my steam streaming went from a choppy mess to near perfect.

Won't work for my setup.

Also 5 GHz is preferred but the range is too short.

Also 300 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz is too unstable that most of the time networks revert to 150 Mbps.

Recommending wired is always a safe bet.

Shawsie64

Banned
Won't work for my setup.

Also 5 GHz is preferred but the range is too short.

Also 300 Mbps @ 2.4 GHz is too unstable that most of the time networks revert to 150 Mbps.

Yeah that's what I found with 2.4ghz, so congested had no free channels.. Though I was able to switch to 5ghz luckily as I have two dual band routers and I have near perfect streaming now. But yeah I understand each persons setup is different and might not enable this.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
while lots of you probably know of it, there is probably a bunch who don't. The integrated package management in powershell 5 is awesome.

to install any bit of software from here
https://chocolatey.org/packages
(and many more repositories including internal private ones for enterprises etc in the future)

simply open powershell (as admin) and type (example)

Code:
find-package google-chrome

which should net you 1 result (maybe more) if you want that package and assuming there was 1 result

Code:
find-package google-chrome | install-package
done.

it's basically apt-get for windows and its been badly needed for years. but now it's here!

I was prompted on my Dell XPS 13 to automatically install Win 10 when it is released. I'm a bit weary about doing an automatic OS upgrade though. Should I wait to see how others do with it or just go with the auto upgrade?

RdN

Fellas, I need some help.

I have my laptop with Windows 10 Tech Preview installed, latest build an all. Sound via speakers and USB headphones works perfectly.

However, when I plug it into my TV via HDMI cable, audio doesn't work.

Playback Devices shows my TV, and it's selected as Default Device, but nothing. If I right click over it and select Test, it shows an error message saying: "Failed to Play Test Tone".

Anyone has any idea what is going on here?

link to that show?
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-live-at-e3-2015-day-01/2300-10378/

He mentions it around 2:21:00, The whole interview starts at the 2:03:00 mark.
Also isn't it still limited in july and the fall is when it's really out?
I'm under the impression that Fall will be when OEMs start releasing their Windows 10 PCs. When July 29th rolls around it will be the final completed RTM build released to everybody.

link to that show? Also isn't it still limited in july and the fall is when it's really out?

Nope, people can start upgrading their devices on the 29th. It's unclear when new devices will come to market with Win 10 preinstalled though, I think the assumption that the build for the 29th will be also be RTM for OEMs as well.

Raxum

Fellas, I need some help.

I have my laptop with Windows 10 Tech Preview installed, latest build an all. Sound via speakers and USB headphones works perfectly.

However, when I plug it into my TV via HDMI cable, audio doesn't work.

Playback Devices shows my TV, and it's selected as Default Device, but nothing. If I right click over it and select Test, it shows an error message saying: "Failed to Play Test Tone".

Anyone has any idea what is going on here?

Had a similar issue with this on the 10130 build on my main computer. For some reason all the sound devices would default to 24-bit sound and not work, but would work fine if I changed it to 16-bit.
Playback Devices->Select device->properties->advanced->default format->16-bit, 96000 Hz seems to work.

M3d10n

image.php

while lots of you probably know of it, there is probably a bunch who don't. The integrated package management in powershell 5 is awesome.

to install any bit of software from here
https://chocolatey.org/packages
(and many more repositories including internal private ones for enterprises etc in the future)

simply open powershell (as admin) and type (example)

Code:
find-package google-chrome

which should net you 1 result (maybe more) if you want that package and assuming there was 1 result

Code:
find-package google-chrome | install-package
done.

it's basically apt-get for windows and its been badly needed for years. but now it's here!

Oh, great. I had forgot all about that and have still been using Chocolatey. Now, to create a GUI for it!

If i install the technical preview as my main OS on my pc, will i still be eligible for the full free release upgrade that i signed up for (with 7) ? Currently just using it in VM but its kinda slow. PC specs are fx-4300, 560ti, 8gb ram

RdN

Had a similar issue with this on the 10130 build on my main computer. For some reason all the sound devices would default to 24-bit sound and not work, but would work fine if I changed it to 16-bit.
Playback Devices->Select device->properties->advanced->default format->16-bit, 96000 Hz seems to work.

Raxum, you're the man!

That did the trick.

Thanks you!

Ape

Banned
im trying to partition my drive and the bitch is only giving me 390mb to work with when I have about 200gb free. any ideas

Top Bottom