• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, great. I had forgot all about that and have still been using Chocolatey. Now, to create a GUI for it!

haha.
it's great, chocolately still works, and the only stuff i've been able to find is the chocolatey repo anyway, there is one other repository already there, but I never get hits from it.

find-module is also super handy for the powershell specific stuff. Powershell is the bomb. I wish they would hurry up with nano servers so I can start replacing my raspberry pi linux distro with a powershell core nano server, or just buy another rpi and start testing with it until parity is reached.

Ape

Banned
M3cPPdE.png

lJDAfIC.png

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I was prompted on my Dell XPS 13 to automatically install Win 10 when it is released. I'm a bit weary about doing an automatic OS upgrade though. Should I wait to see how others do with it or just go with the auto upgrade?
if you have to ask, wait.

Anyone having problems with external drives?

I've got an external 1TB drive and when I'm writing or reading from it after 5-10 mins or so it will disconnect and reconnect straight away but the break is just enough to stop the transfers.

I've tried turning USB sleep off in device manager and power settings but it keeps doing it.

TheTux

I'm using an HP Pavillion DV6, realistically speaking anyone knows if HP is going to make drivers for W10 after its release?

Build 10147 is so pretty *.*

Debating myself whether to install it or not XD

Do we know if Ms will add live folders by RTM? I need them XD

dLMN8R

I have the same recommendation as always - DO NOT INSTALL LEAKED BUILDS

If you don't have the build yet, it's likely because you don't want it. I don't know what specific issues might be in each leaked build, but I do know that recently there have been:

-Catastrophic bugs which render a machine unable to boot
-Total networking stack failure which leaves you with unrecoverable broken wifi
-Migration issue which prevents you from ever moving to a new build
-Broken display drivers with no way to get proper display drivers

Just don't. There are meetings practically every day to determine whether a particular build is ready for Insider Fast. If it's not released to Insider Fast, it has to be for a severe reason, considering that there are many pretty bad bugs which make it into Insider Fast with no problem (see: Mobile)

Hey guys, just downloaded this from Microsoft's site. While Everything else looks ok, the WiFi isn't working!

It detects my home hub, and says its connected, but I ultimately have no access.

I then tried plugging in an ethernet cable and it still wouldn't connect.

Has anyone else had this problem?

when is the "light theme" going to be in? I wonder if even the task bar will be white? I am also surprise that the X on the top right corner of windows is not red by default. I hope they still plan to have it red by default.

I still think the start>all apps section looked better before with 16px icons.Maybe have an option?

Giolon

when is the "light theme" going to be in? I wonder if even the task bar will be white? I am also surprise that the X on the top right corner of windows is not red by default. I hope they still plan to have it red by default.

I believe you can change the taskbar and start menu to white by going into Personalization -> Colors, and then choosing the "Use my chosen color everywhere" and set that color to white, or something approximate to that. I haven't used Win 10 in a month or so.

I believe you can change the taskbar and start menu to white by going into Personalization -> Colors, and then choosing the "Use my chosen color everywhere" and set that color to white, or something approximate to that. I haven't used Win 10 in a month or so.

White is actually the only color missing lol. I think they did it since text is white but then again they can have it to where the text turns black if you choose white.

did I miss the free windows 10 period for windows 7? Dont see the reserve windows button like I did on my laptop. I do have a genuine windows 7 home (the system builder version)

did I miss the free windows 10 period for windows 7? Dont see the reserve windows button like I did on my laptop. I do have a genuine windows 7 home (the system builder version)
Even if you don't reserve it you can still upgrade. The reserve might just be an opt-in to download it early before release.

M3d10n

haha.
it's great, chocolately still works, and the only stuff i've been able to find is the chocolatey repo anyway, there is one other repository already there, but I never get hits from it.

find-module is also super handy for the powershell specific stuff. Powershell is the bomb. I wish they would hurry up with nano servers so I can start replacing my raspberry pi linux distro with a powershell core nano server, or just buy another rpi and start testing with it until parity is reached.

Chocolatey is a godsend. I try to install everything I can through it and then have a scheduled task check for updates. It's the way to go to keep stuff like flash and Java updated without risk of ask toolbar or McAfee visit.

If you don't have the build yet, it's likely because you don't want it. I don't know what specific issues might be in each leaked build, but I do know that recently there have been:

Just don't. There are meetings practically every day to determine whether a particular build is ready for Insider Fast. If it's not released to Insider Fast, it has to be for a severe reason, considering that there are many pretty bad bugs which make it into Insider Fast with no problem (see: Mobile)

Are you guys in the OSG running every build on your main machines at this point?

dLMN8R

Are you guys in the OSG running every build on your main machines at this point?

There are internal rings just like there are Insider rings. So there's "Canary" which is basically daily builds, then OSG Fast which is maybe every few days or each week, then OSG Slow which is only slightly faster than Insider Fast.

This blog post from a while ago describes it well:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...rst-new-build-to-the-windows-insider-program/

Ring1-1024x357.png

It's all entirely optional to employees, but highly encouraged.

There are internal rings just like there are Insider rings. So there's "Canary" which is basically daily builds, then OSG Fast which is maybe every few days or each week, then OSG Slow which is only slightly faster than Insider Fast.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...rst-new-build-to-the-windows-insider-program/

Ring1-1024x357.png

Ah yes, I recall that. I was curious how many builds make it to the OSG ring.

Drifters

Ring1-1024x357.png

dLMN8R, you got a hint as to what the RTM build number will be? :)

What about live folders?

So, I installed the insider preview twice yesterday and each time, my PC gets stuck on boot and gives me a windows error recovery screen. Sigh.

Jonnax

As we’ve announced before, the Windows Insider Program will continue even after we release Windows 10 on July 29th. Windows Insiders will continue to receive future flights as we begin to work on the next release immediately after Windows 10 ships. You’ll get to see the latest Windows fixes, features, and updates and give us feedback. So stay with us! Of course, we’ll provide you an option to leave the program and stay on the final build if you choose: but we hope that we’ll continue to provide you great reasons to remain a Windows Insider.

Who's going to stick on the program?
I don't mind beta software but the forced restarts are a bit annoying. Especially if I delay it a few hours and then realise I still need to.do stuff.

jimwhat

We're about a month out from RTM, but I'm still hearing about a lot of problems. Should I hold off on upgrading to Win10 until later, or are the problems just exaggerated?

We're about a month out from RTM, but I'm still hearing about a lot of problems. Should I hold off on upgrading to Win10 until later, or are the problems just exaggerated?

The problems can be major depending on you uses, but Windows 10 is feature complete so it's all bug fixes from here.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

I'm surprised how many problems there still are with a product that's supposed to go RTM in a few weeks. Our IT management wanted a demo of Windows 10 on the Surface 3 (our department recently ordered a couple of hundred of those). It turns out the last official Windows 10 Build has a bug that makes it impossible to boot on a Surface 3 with an Atom processor and a Cherry Trail chipset.

That was a week ago and there still is no official fix. I find it hard to believe that Windows 10 is really ready for primetime with showstopper bugs like these so close to the final release date.

BIGWORM

Anything on the Soundblaster drivers being fixed in the latest build? I'm still on 10074 and won't budge until it's fixed. How does 10147 look?

clav

Who's going to stick on the program?
I don't mind beta software but the forced restarts are a bit annoying. Especially if I delay it a few hours and then realise I still need to.do stuff.

Me if that's a way to get a license on a computer that has been in the program from the start.

I'm surprised how many problems there still are with a product that's supposed to go RTM in a few weeks. Our IT management wanted a demo of Windows 10 on the Surface 3 (our department recently ordered a couple of hundred of those). It turns out the last official Windows 10 Build has a bug that makes it impossible to boot on a Surface 3 with an Atom processor and a Cherry Trail chipset.

That was a week ago and there still is no official fix. I find it hard to believe that Windows 10 is really ready for primetime with showstopper bugs like these so close to the final release date.

Reportedly the latest build fixes a lot of stability problems.

Don't worry.

The builds that are in the public testing rings tend to be pretty old.

Mr_Zombie

The build that was released in the Fast (and Slow?) ring is 10130. Currently there's a 10146 floating around the net. We don't know how old those builds are.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My surface pro 2 was having some major issues, dying whenever I unplug it from power, dying if I leave it etc. Traded it in and got a surface pro 3, should I put windows 10 on this baby? I ask, you decide.

Also I'm well aware there is likely surface pro 4 coming next month, I don't care. My plan all long was to get a surface 3 once they dropped the price (which they have)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
My surface pro 2 was having some major issues, dying whenever I unplug it from power, dying if I leave it etc. Traded it in and got a surface pro 3, should I put windows 10 on this baby? I ask, you decide.

Also I'm well aware there is likely surface pro 4 coming next month, I don't care. My plan all long was to get a surface 3 once they dropped the price (which they have)

If you like using it as a tablet, no.

VoxPop

They forced me to restart. Was stuck at copying files 3% for a bit. Good thing I didn't restart it again. Its going quickly now. Didn't know about the mandatory restart and reinstalls :(

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Anything on the Soundblaster drivers being fixed in the latest build? I'm still on 10074 and won't budge until it's fixed. How does 10147 look?

If you set to stereo sound it works, but creative need to updste the drivers which they currently have down for early July.

BIGWORM

If you set to stereo sound it works, but creative need to updste the drivers which they currently have down for early July.

Huh. Took a shot and updated to 10130. Confirmed that configuring the sound card to Stereo through sound settings in the Control Panel works. I have sound again.

Top Bottom