• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Thanks y'all. I'll pass on the information.
Edit: he swears that it isn't the drivers.

Not sure at this point. Maybe they aren't updated or something? But none of his steam games work.

elaborate,what do you mean they don't work? Nothing happens? Any error messages? Either way i wouldn't do anything serious on windows 10 right now while it's not finished.

OraleeWey

If he's not competent to fix it, tell him to roll back to Windows 7/8.1.

I don't understand why people are jumping on the beta build now for personal use unless they have extra machines. The software is clearly labeled beta.

RTM build is soon. Do the upgrade once only unless you have too much time on your hands.
He had some license, can't remember which, something enterprise and it was going to expire in 4 days.

elaborate,what do you mean they don't work? Nothing happens? Any error messages? Either way i wouldn't do anything serious on windows 10 right now while it's not finished.

FaSXNyth.jpg

That's fallout 3. It will start to the please stand by screen then crash like that.
CjrDhi1.jpg

That's postal

He had some license, can't remember which, something enterprise and it was going to expire in 4 days.

FaSXNyth.jpg

That's fallout 3. It will start to the please stand by screen then crash like that.
CjrDhi1.jpg

That's postal

yup that is issues currently with windows 10. They fixed some issues and these recently came up with the new build [critical error in particular].

btrboyev

I'm also worried about the July 29 launch date. It feels too close with the amount of issues still present. I know they'll follow a more regular update schedule compared to past Windows versions, but I still think it's too hasty.

For example, I reported a bug that's very worrisome: if explorer.exe crashes or is restarted, all modern apps are taken down with it. That includes Spartan, which will lose all open tabs when that happens. If this is a design problem (modern apps depending on explorer or something) it puts the whole idea of using primarily modern apps for productivity in jeopardy.

Keep in mind the previews that go out are a few builds lower than they are at. I'm confident Windows 10 will be ready July 29. I'm sure updates and patches will be needed and will come quickly.

Jzero

Fallout 3 works fine for me. I was playing non stop for hours. The time where it did crash was when i still used Windows 7.

diehard

Fleer
Anyone using either DTS connect or DD encoder with a Sound Blaster card?

edit: hmm looks like its a problem with this build and 10147 is supposedly fixing it. Guess ill just wait to get 5.1 back

clav

Told you GAF whoever already upgraded.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

The crux of [Windows 10 upgrade] is this:

• Do you want to continue as a Windows Insider and keep getting preview builds after 7/29?
  • Or do you want to upgrade your Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system that has been getting Windows 10 Insider Preview builds to the 7/29 release and stop being an Insider?

So you can either choose to forever be a beta tester or roll back and upgrade to final.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

So you can either choose to forever be a beta tester or roll back and upgrade to final.

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Upgrade through to final and opt out of Insider program, seems like it'll work fine.

Can't decide if I want to opt out or just hit the slow ring.

clav

Upgrade through to final and opt out of Insider program, seems like it'll work fine.

We'll see. I'd be surprised if that's how it's coded considering the installation media already autofills the beta key.

I think it's better to upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 to 10 rather than jumping in now.

I would opt out. You really don't want to see the upgrade message every time you boot up. Your machine isn't a Xbox One.

From what I understood, if you do that your Windows 10 install (if clean installed) becomes an unactivated one, which will expire after a period of days like on previous versions. If you want to keep a "genuine" Windows 10 you must stay in the Insider program after RTM, effectively becoming a beta tester.

So they aren't gifting a finalized Windows build to people lacking a product key, they are just keeping the option to stay on development branches of the OS for people conscious of the risks involved in doing so.

I would opt out. You really don't want to see the upgrade message every time you boot up. Your machine isn't a Xbox One.
Well to be fair, I never see an update on the Xbox thanks to their ability to complete the updates while in sleep mode.

Probably leaning towards opting out though.
From what I understood, if you do that your Windows 10 install (if clean installed) becomes an unactivated one, which will expire after a period of days like on previous versions. If you want to keep a "genuine" Windows 10 you must stay in the Insider program after RTM, effectively becoming a beta tester.

So they aren't gifting a finalized Windows build to people lacking a product key, they are just keeping the option to stay on development branches of the OS for people conscious of the risks involved in doing so.
Yeah not sure how clean installs work, I upgraded though so I'm all good.

clav

Well to be fair, I never see an update on the Xbox thanks to their ability to complete the updates while in sleep mode.

Probably leaning towards opting out though.

I always get an E100 error with mine, so it never updates silently.

After a thorough power off and on it updates successfully.

Some update during the beginning of the testing program broke its background updating feature. Also none of the tools listed on Microsoft's support site aside from deleting the hard drive.

Anyone else with a Surface Pro 2(or any computer I guess) having issues with Service Host: Local System and Local Security Process eating up all of your cpu? Made it somewhat unusable. Only started happening after the latest update although I suppose it could be coincidental.

Edit: Running an SFC scan seeemed to fix it

Lucius86

Banned
Wondering if I upgrade my desktop (Windows 8.1 non-pro) now to Insider W10 Pro, do I then get Windows 10 Pro afterwards legit?

Would like Hyper V and the ability to edit local ADM policies.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wondering if I upgrade my desktop (Windows 8.1 non-pro) now to Insider W10 Pro, do I then get Windows 10 Pro afterwards legit?

I'd also like to know this one.

Also I'm about to reinstall Windows 7 on my new SSD tonight but I've never installed fresh when I have programs installed on other drives (current SSD is C: but as it's rather small most programs are installed to D:) does anyone have experience with this> I'm wonderng if restoring from image on the new drive will work or something.

CaptainABAB

This is the way I see it working:

If you upgrade to Insider W10 Pro...
- You can continue to stay in the Insider program and get W10 Pro (but then you are also getting any future preview updates, which may affect stability)
- Roll-back to Win8.1 and upgrade to W10 non-pro

There is no way to use Insider to get Pro w/o continuing to participate in the Insider program.

No, only Windows 8.1 Pro can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I haven't made an inplace upgrade from an older version, but I would assume it updates to the Home version.

Lucius86

Banned
This is the way I see it working:

If you upgrade to Insider W10 Pro...
- You can continue to stay in the Insider program and get W10 Pro (but then you are also getting any future preview updates, which may affect stability)
- Roll-back to Win8.1 and upgrade to W10 non-pro

There is no way to use Insider to get Pro w/o continuing to participate in the Insider program.

Ah, so you have to stay with Insider builds then to keep the Pro version.

M3d10n

Not if you upgraded from 7/8 to the TP like I did:
If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated.

My ship of Theseus PC lives on and continues on its journey. But I'm considering remaining an insider, it's great to be able to nag give feedback directly to Microsoft.

clav

Not if you upgraded from 7/8 to the TP like I did:

My ship of Theseus PC lives on and continues on its journey. But I'm considering remaining an insider, it's great to be able to nag give feedback directly to Microsoft.

I still advise people to hold off upgrading to the current build.

FyreWulff

Just FYI, blew away Windows 10 this morning and reinstalled 8.1 to get ready for RTM. They actually pop up a screen asking you to reserve the Windows 10 upgrade mid-install, before you ever even boot into Windows. heh

Bullza2o

TTOOLL

My Asus laptop came with Windows 8 but I didn't get a serial number, I have now W10 preview. How will I be able to activate W10 as if I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1 without the code?

My Asus laptop came with Windows 8 but I didn't get a serial number, I have now W10 preview. How will I be able to activate W10 as if I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1 without the code?
It should actívate itself without problem, as it was an inplace upgrade from 8.1. As for the key, new computers since the release of Windows 8 lack the sticker that used to be included, as the PC firmware now has it embedded.

I have an issue that's cropped up where I get a message that "I don't have permission to save in this location" when trying to save something...anywhere.

I've checked the common suggestions (make sure permissions are enabled on the C drive, disable UAC). No luck. Anyone else?

Vestal

It's up to Microsoft. I'd wait for a new build and see. They are definitely working on the issues because there was a big thread on the windows forum talking about issues with games on windows 10.

Interesting, I installed Fallout 3 GOTY from Steam 2 days ago and ive been running it with no issues.

Setup

Core I7 2600k(at 3.4ghz)
16GB Ram
Nvidia 660 GTX ti

Coldsun

Banned
So, I think I found a bug. Everytime I log off/shut down, I have to reapply the speaker configuration back to stereo. Sound keeps defaulting to a 5.1 setup and I get no sound because of me having a Soundblaster Z sound card. Any way to force it to save properly?

This bug shows up on my 8.1 install too, so it isn't isolated to win10.

Jzero

I hope the next build fixes the lockscreen. I don't like typing in my long ass password and the picture password and pin are still broken.

Kibbles

Anyone else have issues with the Windows Beta store not working at all? It pops up for a few seconds then just vanishes. I'd like to try out Xbox streaming but can't update the app due to this.

Also, restarting takes forever. I always just power off and reboot myself. I'm on a SSD, it just sits on the restart loop for a long time.

Kibbles

Anyone else get this? On any Google site It either takes really long to load or ends up saying "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET"

I recently upgraded to the latest (I assume?) technical preview and my explorer.exe crashes every time I turn off the machine - I have to hit the "Ok" button on the crash dialogue before it'll actually turn off. I had to do this before but I thought it'd get fixed with the update.

Not sure this is ready to release in a month or so!

Also - I've asked this a few times and I don't think anyone's been able to answer yet - but does anyone know whether, for those of us on the technical preview, we'll be able to just "upgrade" to the full licensed version (after putting in a CD Key) or will we need to actually reinstall with the final consumer version?

linkboy

I recently upgraded to the latest (I assume?) technical preview and my explorer.exe crashes every time I turn off the machine - I have to hit the "Ok" button on the crash dialogue before it'll actually turn off. I had to do this before but I thought it'd get fixed with the update.

Not sure this is ready to release in a month or so!

Also - I've asked this a few times and I don't think anyone's been able to answer yet - but does anyone know whether, for those of us on the technical preview, we'll be able to just "upgrade" to the full licensed version (after putting in a CD Key) or will we need to actually reinstall with the final consumer version?

You have the option of staying in the beta and things will continue how they are now (with MS pushing a new release out) or you can opt out of the beta.

If you opt out, then you either need a genuine 7/8.1 key or you'll have to buy it.

They're not converting beta users over to the full release.

So I just tried installing the preview on my surface pro 2. It went through the installation guide then it restarted and came to a screen that says "Hi There, Welcome Back!" And my name. There is also an option for "I'm Not ______". If I click on either next or that my surface freezes then crashes and restarts. I can't get past this screen. Anyone encounter this?

Top Bottom