• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

neoanarch

I find 10 on tablets very usable. But Tablet mode is weird in that its worse than regular mode. They really need to work on tablet mode.

Mr_Zombie

I read somewhere that a new build was coming soon for insiders.

I hope so. Bugs in 10130 (like the black screen and/or drivers crashing after waking the PC up) get annoying. To make it worse, after the recent update of Mail and Calendar app I can't add account to any of those programs, I just receive an error message (already searched for it on Internet, only found that other people have the same problem). Reinstalling those apps didn't help. :(

What is the tablet/laptop experience like currently? Has it improved from earlier when people mentioned that it was not as good as 8.1?

Looking at videos from recent builds, Microsoft spend some more time recently to improve the experience over what we have in 10130.

Klocker

Speaking of tablet users, Are the ever going to add gesture swipe forward and back to Edge like metro explorer had?

That's a strange omission IMO.

zou

Speaking of tablet users, Are the ever going to add gesture swipe forward and back to Edge like metro explorer had?

That's a strange omission IMO.

worst fucking feature ever. especially since there's no way to disable it. thank god it's gone.

Klocker

worst fucking feature ever. especially since there's no way to disable it. thank god it's gone.

What? That's crazy talk. What's so offensive about it to you?

I love it and use it constantly.

And yes why not allow it to be disabled as well.

danthefan

So I'm unable to move an icons that sit on my desktop (i.e. I can't drag & drop on the desktop), is this supposed to be or is there some setting I can change?

Ecto311

Is there a way to revert back to windows 7 from the preview 10 10130 build so tomorrow I can install the official build? I installed 10 but it looks like the preview people are stuck with it if there is no core install of an official 7 or 8? Would like to get out of the preview cycle of things and have it official with a code for future installs.

clav

Is there a way to revert back to windows 7 from the preview 10 10130 build so tomorrow I can install the official build? I installed 10 but it looks like the preview people are stuck with it if there is no core install of an official 7 or 8? Would like to get out of the preview cycle of things and have it official with a code for future installs.

Windows 10 releases next month, not this month.

If you did an upgrade (as opposed to clean install), supposedly you don't have to revert back.

One of the recent builds has this message:

rvo3keW.png

zou

What? That's crazy talk. What's so offensive about it to you?

I love it and use it constantly.

And yes why not allow it to be disabled as well.

because it constantly activates when I intended to scroll down instead. and there's really no point to it, so it's just a useless, infuriating feature.

Ecto311

If you did an upgrade (as opposed to clean install), supposedly you don't have to revert back.

One of the recent builds has this message:

rvo3keW.png

The way I understand it is since I have this preview I won't be getting the normal install when it officialy releases right? I don't have problems with this but being on the preview set is annoying because new new stuff gets pushed and breaks things. I just want the most vanilla stable win10 install I can get.

clav

The way I understand it is since I have this preview I won't be getting the normal install when it officialy releases right? I don't have problems with this but being on the preview set is annoying because new new stuff gets pushed and breaks things. I just want the most vanilla stable win10 install I can get.

Stop insider builds = stop receiving preview

Everyone will upgrade to the final RTM.

Preview members will stay unless they want to opt out.

This is how the update process works for Xbox One, and Microsoft wants to apply the same philosophy here.

Ecto311

Stop insider builds = stop receiving preview

Everyone will upgrade to the final RTM.

Preview members will stay unless they want to opt out.

This is how the update process works for Xbox One, and Microsoft wants to apply the same philosophy here.

So leave 10 as is right now and tomorrow when it releases (as far as I know it's tomorrow) then I can just get the stable release over the copy that I am running now and have a full normal install of this? I don't have to revert back to 7 and do it over top of that bought and registered copy? This is too confusing to my old 32yr old man ass.

Rosur

So leave 10 as is right now and tomorrow when it releases (as far as I know it's tomorrow) then I can just get the stable release over the copy that I am running now and have a full normal install of this? I don't have to revert back to 7 and do it over top of that bought and registered copy? This is too confusing to my old 32yr old man ass.

its the 29th July not June for windows 10 release.

Klocker

because it constantly activates when I intended to scroll down instead. and there's really no point to it, so it's just a useless, infuriating feature.

Wait are we both talking about using a tablet here and swiping with our fingers and not a mouse?

If so, must have been something wrong with your screen as I rarely recall any issues like you described. It is sweet to quickly flick a thumb and be back or forth a page. Having to readjust my hands while holding the tablet to find theta little arrow at the top when my hands are near the bottom is a pita.

You can disable it. For whatever reason it's in privacy, not general settings, but it's there.

Even better... options for different people

robotrock

Banned
Anyway to disable the sign in process? The netplwiz CTRL+R thing doesn't seem to work very well here, as I still get a sign in screen when I boot up my PC.

edit: Well, it works now somehow. Whoops!

Anyone here do an in place upgrade on their Surface Pro 2 to the latest Win10 Preview iso from Microsoft?
I tried it on my 64GB one and I could not get it to login. The moment my username is loaded, I click next, it seems to hang then my Pro 2 restarts and I'm back to the screen again. Basically a delayed reboot loop. Thank goodness I was able to go back to Win 8.1 without losing anything (though I was prepared to start over if need be).
TIA.

wwm0nkey

Okay so how do I disable the insider preview so I can get the full version as an update?

Upgraded from 8.1 so I'm good, just want to make sure of everything though.

injurai

Banned
I know it's been talked about. But is there an FAQ on the free upgrade from Win7? I want to make sure what all that entails so that I'm ready and know how to prepare. I thought the free upgrade was only available within the first year of Windows 10's launch. Would I be able to just keep an image of a fresh install so I won't lose it even afterwards?

I know it's been talked about. But is there an FAQ on the free upgrade from Win7? I want to make sure what all that entails so that I'm ready and know how to prepare. I thought the free upgrade was only available within the first year of Windows 10's launch. Would I be able to just keep an image of a fresh install so I won't lose it even afterwards?

See if your question is answered here. Yes the free upgrade is only available for one year after July 29th.

epmode

You need to update at first, and then you can clean install on that hardware. But the details haven't been announced.

I suppose it's going to be like an OEM version, tied to your hardware at the time of the first installation. Any chance of being able to transfer the W10 key to a brand new system?

edit: Oh hay, it looks like it may be possible with a retail key of Windows 7 or 8. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-frequently-asked-questions

If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from a store (brick and mortar or online/digital) and I upgrade to the free Windows 10 can I transfer that to a new computer under the retail licensing? (23 June 2015)

YES

edit: Er, maybe not. They're not very clear on the matter. But if MS truly intends W10 to be the last version of Windows, I can't see how they would allow a retail W8.1 to W10 upgrade to be installed on brand new hardware. That would mean that you would have an up-to-date Windows license for all time.

My guess is that MS will eventually make retail licenses of W10 work on specific hardware. Upgrade enough components and you have to buy a license. I assume that they'll also offer a subscription version of Windows which can be used on other hardware.

For those of us who reserved are free copy... is there going to be a way to do a fresh install?

If it's just a clean install on the same PC you want, Windows has this built in starting with Windows 8.

Settings -> Update & Recovery -> Recovery -> Reset This PC

You can have it delete everything and clean install Windows by itself.

Paul Thurrott has some other information (such as ISO's, hardware changes, etc), but it's not 100% official until it's on the Windows website: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-windows-10-will-handle-clean-installs

clav

so if i'm reading this right

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/578d0b7f-57e4-4893-b9d1-6cfac0d6290a?page=1

i want to build a new computer before windows 10 releases, huh?

You basically don't want to claim the Windows 10 license on old hardware.

This will matter if you plan on changing out your motherboard or CPU.

Graphics cards are OK.

The new thing here is if you don't plan on buying a new copy of Windows ever, you can always test their latest version until otherwise stated.

Animator

If there's still bugs in the most recent build, isn't the end of July cutting it really close?

Most recent build is like a month and a half old. Also it is not like they will stop working on windows 10 the second it is out. Can we save the concern posts till after it comes out?

Mr_Zombie

If there's still bugs in the most recent build, isn't the end of July cutting it really close?

The last build released to public is 10130. Few days ago Microsoft released 10154 to its partners and, as far as we know, it's still not the final version. And since Windows 10 is feature complete, all those builds are dedicated to polish and bug fixing.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
The last build released to public is 10130. Few days ago Microsoft released 10154 to its partners and, as far as we know, it's still not the final version. And since Windows 10 is feature complete, all those builds are dedicated to polish and bug fixing.

And build 10159 is the build with the wallpaper that was shown last week. So they will most likely be on build 10160 or higher this week.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've never actually done OS upgrades before on existing PCs, usually it's fresh new PC -> fresh new OS.

If I go with the free W10 offer the upgrade will be an easy transition right? There shouldn't be any problems with the programs and the old OS won't leave any leftovers?

M3d10n

I like it better too, but it still wouldn't hurt to have auto hide options (wp already do for phones without dedicated buttons, so I hope it's coming).

But, the apps still need some work to be good on tablet mode, also file explorer still doesn't even attempt to have a decent touch support.

It would become much easier in tablet mode if MS increased the DPI scaling automatically. Having bigger UI elements fixes 90% of the issues with using explorer with touch.

It would become much easier in tablet mode if MS increased the DPI scaling automatically. Having bigger UI elements fixes 90% of the issues with using explorer with touch.

Might be a stopgap solution until they have a proper universal file explorer app, but other than that I would really really really love if they had a solution for selecting multiples files with touch. The checkbox settings works but it's so error prone as you don't see the target.

It makes managing files a chore when you don't have a keyboard and mouse at your disposal

Top Bottom