• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

I recently upgraded to the latest (I assume?) technical preview and my explorer.exe crashes every time I turn off the machine - I have to hit the "Ok" button on the crash dialogue before it'll actually turn off. I had to do this before but I thought it'd get fixed with the update.

Not sure this is ready to release in a month or so!

Also - I've asked this a few times and I don't think anyone's been able to answer yet - but does anyone know whether, for those of us on the technical preview, we'll be able to just "upgrade" to the full licensed version (after putting in a CD Key) or will we need to actually reinstall with the final consumer version?

That explorer error happens for me too, but I think the update lessened the problem, because I'm not seeing it as often.

Looks like I got to roll back to 8.1 on two of my systems to get the free license upgrade. I have been doing clean installs since January. Oh well at least it doesn't take all that long to do. It's just one extra step I would've preferred to avoid.

GavinGT

Banned
Looks like I got to roll back to 8.1 on two of my systems to get the free license upgrade. I have been doing clean installs since January. Oh well at least it doesn't take all that long to do. It's just one extra step I would've preferred to avoid.

I had to do full reformats on both of my machines to get them ready. Apparently it's unwise to use a crazy hack to install gpedit when your version of Windows isn't supposed to have it. That shit locked me out of receiving required updates because it thought the file system was corrupt (and couldn't fix it).

I had to do full reformats on both of my machines to get them ready. Apparently it's unwise to use a crazy hack to install gpedit when your version of Windows isn't supposed to have it. That shit locked me out of receiving required updates because it thought the file system was corrupt (and couldn't fix it).
Woops! Reformatting ain't so bad with the most recent versions of Windows, especially if you have a secondary drive/partition where you keep your files. But lesson learned.

I've been using 10130 on my main PC for a while and it's been fine. How is it on a Surface Pro 3. I saw there was new firmware to support Windows 10 features.

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-pro-3-firmware-update-preps-tablet-windows-10

Has the usability improved? Does Edge support touch like Modern IE 8 to swipe between pages etc..

I have to test more with the new firmware, but before it the surface would constantly get warm and drain battery very fast, the All Apps button in the start screen takes a few seconds to show the list (something that doesn't happen in the other PCs I have, so I take it's specific to SP3), connected standby was really unreliable and would leave the surface run very hot, some apps like the surface app won't open at all, and it loses the pen pressure settings to default, and finally, using the pen is a bitty spotty, because every once and while it misses the pen input and register your hands (though that was much much worse in the earlier builds and improved a lot now).

Hopefully, this fixes all that.

I have to test more with the new firmware, but before it the surface would constantly get warm and drain battery very fast, the All Apps button in the start screen takes a few seconds to show the list (something that doesn't happen in the other PCs I have, so I take it's specific to SP3), connected standby was really unreliable and would leave the surface run very hot, some apps like the surface app won't open at all, and it loses the pen pressure settings to default, and finally, using the pen is a bitty spotty, because every once and while it misses the pen input and register your hands (though that was much much worse in the earlier builds and improved a lot now).

Ok thanks. I just worry that we're a month from release and Windows 8.1 works so well for me on the Surface. I obviously don't have to install Windows 10, but I'll be too tempted.

clav

That's because on first start, the OS is installing Metro type apps.

Eventually, all of them will show up and halt the intensive CPU/disk process.

Happens on all setups in my testing.

The Cowboy

Decided to bite the bullet and jump in a month early, upgraded my Windows 8.1 to the Windows 10 preview - thought i might aswell seeing as it can be upgraded to the release version anyway.

Still not overly keen on the full start screen change over Windows 8.1 (i really like 8.1's setup), but I'm sure I'll get used to it (i hated the full screen start menu at 1st on Windows 8).

Heel

Has it been explained how reformatting an installation of Windows 10 will work for those who upgraded after the 12 month window? Will we get a converted Windows 10 key to use?

Looking like going from Vista to Windows 10 through the Preview is a no-go, so I'm looking at buying a Windows 7 or 8 key. What's the best way to go about this?

That's because on first start, the OS is installing Metro type apps.

Eventually, all of them will show up and halt the intensive CPU/disk process.

Happens on all setups in my testing.

But that happens even after hours of usage from the same build. Last I checked on the insider app, just on 10130 i had more than 70 hours of usage.

BIGWORM

Any way to force sound to output to stereo only? I find I'm having to set it manually every time I start windows in order to have sound through my Soundblaster Z.

clav

So if I am understanding this correctly I will be able to use my win 8 key from within win 10 to license it without having to reinstall win 8 and update again to win 10 from it. That would be awesome if true.

Did you do an upgrade or clean install?

Hey guys,

Just installed Windows 10 preview, latest build and everything seems to running great. The issue i'm having is my updates were stuck on 26%, so I followed some instructions online about stopping the process and deleting some files but W10 wouldnt let me delete the Downloads folder as it was still being used even though I had stopped the process. Now when I go back to Windows Update it rechecks and i'm now stuck at 0% downloading.

Any help?

Edit: Oh nvm. It's just downloading reaaaally slowly.

Been waiting to drop this on my SP3, hope this fixes a lot of those issues.

My PC just updated again, I guess it wasn't on the latest build. Now i'm on build 10130 and immediately noticed display lag. My mouse movement is noticeably behind and the taskbar is a little jerky when it appears.

Anyone else seen this?

Edit: FIxed. Loaded up Planetside 2 and noticed a massive improvement in speed. Figured it had something to do with the hz that Windows 10 was running at so I went to nvidia control panel and reselected 60hz. Seems that was it. Just in case anyone else has this issue. It was running at 30hz. Ewww.

So if I am understanding this correctly I will be able to use my win 8 key from within win 10 to license it without having to reinstall win 8 and update again to win 10 from it. That would be awesome if true.

This is what I need as well.

Have genuine Win 8.1 with the Win 10 reserved.

Bought an SSD in preparation for Win 10 and installed the tech preview on it to play around with.

I would much rather just upgrade the tech preview to genuine using the key I will get from the Win 8.1 I already have on my regular HDD.

The Cowboy

Liking Windows 10 so far (only been a day so far), still really do not like the full start screen setup, but i have the start menu in a way i like so all is well. Gaming seems to be running good so fat (now that i have a graphics card once again :D), and I'm liking the better performance in Project cars a lot.

Not liking that build 10130 broke 5.1 surround sound for me though, but at least upon checking this is a known issue which will hopefully be fixed on the next build - so no proper 5.1 movie for the time being :(.

Sorry to keep bothering this thread, but does anyone know whats causing all of this?

J9240g3.png

I've searched online to no avail.

NJDEN

Sorry to keep bothering this thread, but does anyone know whats causing all of this?

I've searched online to no avail.

I heard from reading random bits here and there that any anti virus other than Windows Defender will hog system resources.

Except for Malware Bytes for some reason... You could uninstall and see if it helps.

I heard from reading random bits here and there that any anti virus other than Windows Defender will hog system resources.

Except for Malware Bytes for some reason... You could uninstall and see if it helps.

Is it worth ditching Avast for Windows Defender? I heard Defender didn't get a good score last time and Avast did. That's the only reason I switched.

Raide

I think I will probably stay opted in for Windows 10. Like getting the updates earlier and its been pretty much stable for me over the last few months.

mandiller

I recently formatted my computer and installed Windows 8.1 again and during the installation one of the screens let you reserve the free Windows 10 upgrade. It seemed to go OK and said it was reserved, but on the desktop there's no Windows 10 reserve icon in the system tray. I have all the latest updates. Is there any other way to check and confirm my computer is ok for Windows 10? Why wouldn't the upgrade icon be there?

I recently formatted my computer and installed Windows 8.1 again and during the installation one of the screens let you reserve the free Windows 10 upgrade. It seemed to go OK and said it was reserved, but on the desktop there's no Windows 10 reserve icon in the system tray. I have all the latest updates. Is there any other way to check and confirm my computer is ok for Windows 10? Why wouldn't the upgrade icon be there?

Try the methods in this website.
http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html

Method 1 worked for me.

Fathom

Banned
Liking Windows 10 so far (only been a day so far), still really do not like the full start screen setup, but i have the start menu in a way i like so all is well. Gaming seems to be running good so fat (now that i have a graphics card once again :D), and I'm liking the better performance in Project cars a lot.

Not liking that build 10130 broke 5.1 surround sound for me though, but at least upon checking this is a known issue which will hopefully be fixed on the next build - so no proper 5.1 movie for the time being :(.

10130 borked my sound too, impatiently waiting on next build. Hopefully early next week.

I think I will probably stay opted in for Windows 10. Like getting the updates earlier and its been pretty much stable for me over the last few months.

I'll definitely do it on my old Thinkpad. I only need to figure out the right driver combination to make then pen and touch panel work. They offer so many versions for the X61, it's pretty annoying having to test them all out.

NJDEN

Is it worth ditching Avast for Windows Defender? I heard Defender didn't get a good score last time and Avast did. That's the only reason I switched.

I think Windows Defender has improved, but I used to be a big Avast user as well...

Since about this time last year I ditched active virus protection all together and maintain my system exclusively with regular checks via the Malware Bytes free version... Haven't had a problem since. I know it sounds crazy, but I think careful browsing habits frequent scans via Malware Bytes do the trick. Plus Chrome has its own built in security features which will detect questionable files & websites.

MultiCore

I think Windows Defender has improved, but I used to be a big Avast user as well...

Since about this time last year I ditched active virus protection all together and maintain my system exclusively with regular checks via the Malware Bytes free version... Haven't had a problem since. I know it sounds crazy, but I think careful browsing habits frequent scans via Malware Bytes do the trick. Plus Chrome has its own built in security features which will detect questionable files & websites.
You disabled Windows defender? "You're braver than I thought." /Leia

thenexus6

So I decided to download parallels 10 trial for mac with the windows 10 technical preview. Apart from tinkering with my sisters little 8.1 laptop a little i've not used windows in about 5 years.

I am pretty impressed, jankiness aside its visually really neat and the xbox app is awesome. What i'd give for sony to make a fully featured desktop app for PS3/4/vita.

The Cowboy

I'm not a huge fan of the size of the notification centre, its a nice setup and i love that on Windows 10 more things trigger a notification popup (like when a game is finished installing etc) - but it just takes up so much room when opened.

I much prefer how it was originally going to look over what it is now, i also like how it originally grew in size the more it filled up - rather than just taking up the full screen by default.

I want this back.

Klocker

I'm not a huge fan of the size of the notification centre, its a nice setup and i love that on Windows 10 more things trigger a notification popup (like when a game is finished installing etc) - but it just takes up so much room when opened.

I much prefer how it was originally going to look over what it is now, i also like how it originally grew in size the more it filled up - rather than just taking up the full screen by default.

I want this back.

So you have a cap of what it looks like now?

Does it go full screen rather than slide in like older builds?

M3d10n

What is the tablet/laptop experience like currently? Has it improved from earlier when people mentioned that it was not as good as 8.1?

I only tested it by using remote desktop from my phone, but the latest build is much better IMO. Things can get a little bit weird with desktop apps, however.

At first I found the always present taskbar strange, coming from 8.1, but it does make sense when you view it as an analogous of the bottom bar in Android phones/tablets and on Windows phone, which replace physical buttons (and it has the same the buttons as Windows phone now: back, search and start).

I like it better than 8.1 over reliance on gestures

I only tested it by using remote desktop from my phone, but the latest build is much better IMO. Things can get a little bit weird with desktop apps, however.

At first I found the always present taskbar strange, coming from 8.1, but it does make sense when you view it as an analogous of the bottom bar in Android phones/tablets and on Windows phone, which replace physical buttons (and it has the same the buttons as Windows phone now: back, search and start).

I like it better than 8.1 over reliance on gestures
I like it better too, but it still wouldn't hurt to have auto hide options (wp already do for phones without dedicated buttons, so I hope it's coming).

But, the apps still need some work to be good on tablet mode, also file explorer still doesn't even attempt to have a decent touch support.

Top Bottom