• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

M3d10n

Might be a stopgap solution until they have a proper universal file explorer app, but other than that I would really really really love if they had a solution for selecting multiples files with touch. The checkbox settings works but it's so error prone as you don't see the target.

It makes managing files a chore when you don't have a keyboard and mouse at your disposal

I noticed the W10 explorer has a new display mode, where the files/folders are shown in a "card" size that is similar to the wide tiles used by the metro file picker. I'll do more tests with that one and the checkbox setting enabled to see how it fares.

An universal explorer replacement is probably out of question: that's the one thing in Windows where we need all the options for power users as possible. An universal explorer would, for example, completely kill 3rd party shell integration, which is a must for me.

hope this one keeps my windows explorer stable without random crashes.

Shit, I just hope Edge doesn't keep shitting the bed with this one :p

EDIT: And on that note:

IMPORTANT: Microsoft Edge has a new app ID that will cause any favorites, cookies, history and Reading list items that you had saved in “Project Spartan” from previous builds to be lost after upgrading. If you want to keep these, make sure you back up your favorites before upgrading to Build 10158.

EDIT2:
•We’ve added password and form-fill support. Microsoft Edge now lets you manage your passwords for your favorite websites.
•Audio from Microsoft Edge plays while the app is minimized or in the background – another top request from Windows Insiders.
•You can drag and drop tabs to a new window.
•Another top request: we now have a dark theme!

Yusssss

I noticed the W10 explorer has a new display mode, where the files/folders are shown in a "card" size that is similar to the wide tiles used by the metro file picker. I'll do more tests with that one and the checkbox setting enabled to see how it fares.

An universal explorer replacement is probably out of question: that's the one thing in Windows where we need all the options for power users as possible. An universal explorer would, for example, completely kill 3rd party shell integration, which is a must for me.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if by the Redstone update we get an universal app (It is already there for Windows 10 mobile), but yes, it would kill 3rd party compatibility. It would be a nightmare to port the code.

My VM is already done, but I'll wait for someone to build an ISO to do a fresh installation on my Thinkpad. I think I'll use it as a starting point to prep it for RTM (again, finding the right drivers for this thing is an awful task).

The Dark UI in Edge and GAF looks really great. Should make browsing at night with a tablet or laptop a lot more pleasant.

kuTWlqh.png

The Cowboy

God dammit, surround sound is still broken for me in this build - not happy.

Edit.
Got it working, i have to switch the audio format quality to one setting and back again to make it work every time i turn the theatre system on - its not ideal but at least i can have 5.1.

Whogie

It keeps restarting back into 10130. Just can't ditch this damn build.

God dammit, surround sound is still broken for me in this build - not happy.

Edit.
Got it working, i have to switch the audio format quality to one setting and back again to make it work every time i turn the theatre system on - its not ideal but at least i can have 5.1.

I've been setting it to 7.1, then disabling the speakers I don't use for 5.1.

The Cowboy

Anyone else got a weird app at the top of the all apps list? - called "@(winstore_1.0.0.0" etc".

Can't seem to find a way to remove it as there is no uninstall option, i wonder if its the removed insider app?.

clav

Build feels RC'ish.

My VM is already done, but I'll wait for someone to build an ISO to do a fresh installation on my Thinkpad. I think I'll use it as a starting point to prep it for RTM (again, finding the right drivers for this thing is an awful task).

The Dark UI in Edge and GAF looks really great. Should make browsing at night with a tablet or laptop a lot more pleasant.

Is there an option to move the URL bar to the bottom?

Kibbles

Looks like people have to roll back to Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to 10 for free.

There is no other way.

Wow that sucks.

So I think I'm fucked then eh? Cause I had Windows 8 but it was one of those upgrade keys for $15 that Microsoft was selling some time ago. However, my HDD crapped out so I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a SSD and have been using that, so I can't roll back to my Windows 8. I don't have my Win7 recovery disc that came with my computer either...

clav

Wow that sucks

I've been warning people.

So I think I'm fucked then eh? Cause I had Windows 8 but it was one of those upgrade keys for $15 that Microsoft was selling some time ago. However, my HDD crapped out so I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a SSD and have been using that, so I can't roll back to my Windows 8. I don't have my Win7 recovery disc that came with my computer either...

Some manufacturers embedded their keys in the BIOS prior to Windows 8 mandate on all computers sold.

What kind of computer is it? Did you buy it from the store?

The Cowboy

Looks like people have to roll back to Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to 10 for free.

There is no other way.
I don't get how its hard to understand.

If you simply installed the Window's 10 preview via a clean install, then on the 29th July you can update to the release version of Window's 10 and continue to use it as long as you remain an insider - if you want to opt out of being an insider you will need to fully reinstall Window's 7/8.1 and update to Window's 10 release.

If you installed the Window's 10 preview via upgrading a legit (activated) Window's 7/8.1 system, then on the 29th July you can update from the Window's 10 preview to the release version of Window's 10 and continue to use it without remaining as an insider.

This is how it was explained, and i don't quite get how people can't understand it.

clav

If you simply installed the Window's 10 preview via a clean install, then on the 29th July you can update to the release version of Window's 10 and continue to use it as long as you remain an insider.

If you installed the Window's 10 preview via upgrading a legit (activated) Window's 7/8.1 system, then on the 29th July you can update to the release version on Window's 10 and continue to use it without remaining as an insider.

This is how it was explained, and i don't quite get how people can't understand it.

Check out the insider link when you go to Windows Update options.

It has a full explanation on how to stop insider builds.

Maybe that explanation is too old now?

btrboyev

Wow that sucks.

When you bought windows 8, you should have gotten your serial sent to you in your email.

neoanarch

If you simply installed the Window's 10 preview via a clean install, then on the 29th July you can update to the release version of Window's 10 and continue to use it as long as you remain an insider - if you want to opt out of being an insider you will need to fully reinstall Window's 7/8.1 and update to Window's 10 release.

If you installed the Window's 10 preview via upgrading a legit (activated) Window's 7/8.1 system, then on the 29th July you can update from the Window's 10 preview to the release version of Window's 10 and continue to use it without remaining as an insider.

Sucks if I can't just type in my key. Hopefully the downgrade and update process isn't too long.

edit:speaking of update 10158has been stuck at 29% forever.

The Cowboy

I saw that but why would this new build link to the two option discussion?

I even mentioned your version of the upgrade from my past posting history, but now I'm alarmed because I saw that message.
Its gong to be an interesting day on the 29th, either your right and the shit will hit the fan big time, or the latest info is right and we can all look back and laugh at all the confusion :D

I'm sticking with the latest info, all will be well and any legit upgrade 7.8.1 systems will be in for an easy time - i hope i am not wrong :p.

Kibbles

When you bought windows 8, you should have gotten your serial sent to you in your email.

I did, but I think it only works when upgrading because it was one of those $15 upgrade offers Microsoft was selling. I tried a Windows 8 install with the key before I did the Windows 10 install and it wasn't working (though maybe because the key was for Windows 8, my install disc I downloaded was for 8.1). Even if I were to get it working, I assume I'll lose all my files and applications I currently have since I didn't have it installed on my new SSD before using Windows 10.
Some manufacturers embedded their keys in the BIOS prior to Windows 8 mandate on all computers sold.

What kind of computer is it? Did you buy it from the store?

Alienware x51.

I guess I'll just remain an insider.

Yeah this build has been really great, which at this point in time it better be. No huge issues, no crashes or errors yet. Edge with dark theme is nice. I was kind of doubting Microsoft would make their deadline but so far seems promising.

One thing I found odd was the Music App icon... One thing I do recommend is to go to the Store and update your apps. The Xbox App was missing features until I did this.

Animator

I just switched to fast ring but windows update is not seeing the new update. Can I download it from somewhere?

Also I don't need a fresh install right it will just update my current build to this?

MrGerbils

Upgraded from Win 7 to the latest preview build, honestly mostly to play with Xbox streaming, and I'm really liking Win 10.

I thought the Xbox app would be pretty stupid, but I gotta say there is something nice about having all those features (messages, seeing what my friends are playing, watching their clips, etc) available in a clean and easy interface on my PC.

This Edge dark theme is great. Build seems really nice, performance is excellent and some nice interface polish as well.

I still have that permissions issue where I can't save anything that I posted about a few pages back though. :/

Quentyn

Sweet,10158 fixed the biggest issues I still had with Windows 10. First you can disable web search in the start menu now. I think that option is new? I certainly didn't find it in any of the previous builds.

Also the Windows clock now shows multiple time zones again. Both on hover and when you click on it. It's a minor feature, but I use it all the time and I am glad it is back now.

Animator

It keeps restarting back into 10130. Just can't ditch this damn build.

I've been setting it to 7.1, then disabling the speakers I don't use for 5.1.

same thing happening here. Windows update experience absolutely sucks and is downright insultingly bad for an os coming out in year 2015.

I did, but I think it only works when upgrading because it was one of those $15 upgrade offers Microsoft was selling.

You can install windows without the key and then update that install with the key to get genuine windows. That's how my MacBook is setup. Also if its the same hardware, it should just reactivate anyway.

Impressions

Microsoft Edge

Still can't change default search engine in Microsoft Edge.

Tab tear-off into new window is nice, but I'm unable to put a tab back into a different window currently.

Dark theme in Edge is very nice. Will be using this for sure.

Address bar hides "http://www" when not in focus. This is nice, but selecting text with a mouse from the address bar doesn't select what is below the cursor, rather the "http://www." appears when you hold down the click and then it begins selecting what's below the cursor. That's poor design.

Still no "paste and go" in Edge.

Still no swiping back and forward in Edge on my tablet. Metro IE in 8.1 had this and I loved it. Sad that it's gone.

Other stuff

Tablet mode works on desktop! Not that I'd ever use it much, but having a "full screen mode" is kinda cool.

Title bars seem much more consistent between Metro and Standard apps. I like it.

Metro apps have white taskbar icons now. I like that, too. Looks nice.

PIN login seems to work again for me. Was bugged in 10130. Finally.

Digging the new look for context menus in standard desktop apps. Polished.

Xbox App

My only gripe previously was a bug when streaming from an Xbox One to the app. When the Xbox one controller was connected to the PC via USB and using a stereo headset with inline mic connected to the controller with the stereo headset adapter, voice would be really choppy and electronic sounding. It was so bad it was basically unusable and the only workaround was to keep the Xbox controller connected wirelessly to the Xbox one while streaming - a big limitation if you're out of range from the console itself. This has been fixed in 10158 in my testing. Audio from the game sounds great, and mic quality is on par with connecting to the Xbox directly. The attached headphones (and the mic) are treated natively in windows 10 as well, so all PC audio runs through the controller's headset adapter. Yay!

--

All in all, I'm liking this build and direction for Windows 10. It's coming along very nicely. Final days of polish ahead. I still need to do more testing on my tablet (venue 8 pro) which is where I experienced the most issues on 10130 and below. But on desktop it's almost ready for prime time. Windows 10 ftw!

quaere

Wasn't showing the update, even reinstalled the whole damn OS (clean install too) and same thing. I've hit that check for update button 20x and nothing. So...don't waste your time like I did.

Jzero

Hmm... So I'm effectively being locked into staying with 8.1 since I don't have the money to upgrade my computer. Very nice, Microsoft. Superb.

You're getting it for free, STFU

Wasn't showing the update, even reinstalled the whole damn OS (clean install too) and same thing. I've hit that check for update button 20x and nothing. So...don't waste your time like I did.

It's just you. I just clicked check for update once and it started downloading

Bought a new laptop today and it came loaded with Win 8.1..........I now understand all the hate Win 8 got

Who at MS thought it would be a good idea to have a touch based OS when a lot of people don't use touch screen computers

Please tell me 10 is better suited for non-touch interfaces!

After looking up the "new" features in Win 10 I am optimistic

clav

Bought a new laptop today and it came loaded with Win 8.1..........I now understand all the hate Win 8 got

Who at MS thought it would be a good idea to have a touch based OS when a lot of people don't use touch screen computers

Please tell me 10 is better suited for non-touch interfaces!

After looking up the "new" features in Win 10 I am optimistic

Should have bought a laptop with a touchscreen.

I can't go back to using a trackpad or mouse on a laptop.

Top Bottom