• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Mr_Zombie

Anyone else got a weird app at the top of the all apps list? - called "@(winstore_1.0.0.0" etc".

Can't seem to find a way to remove it as there is no uninstall option, i wonder if its the removed insider app?.

That's probably the old Store app. From what I read it's not available in newer builds (it's completely replaced by the new Store app), but during the update Windows probably left some files in the Program Files\WindowsApps folder. You might try uninstalling it via the console. Here's a tutorial on how to do it with Mail & People app from 10041 which were in the same situation: replaced by a newer version while leaving old files in the system: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-fix-mail-calendar-people-windows-10-preview-10041.

And when you download something or move files around in File Explorer, the progress animation in the Taskbar has been changed back to green and back to animating horizontally (instead of white and animating vertically seen in the previous build – thanks for the feedback!).

I liked the white vertical animation :(

At least the Photo app is now supporting animated GIFs.

Bought a new laptop today and it came loaded with Win 8.1..........I now understand all the hate Win 8 got

Who at MS thought it would be a good idea to have a touch based OS when a lot of people don't use touch screen computers

Please tell me 10 is better suited for non-touch interfaces!

After looking up the "new" features in Win 10 I am optimistic

download the classic shell, it makes windows 8 ui more like windows 7, should hold you over until windows 10 releases
http://www.classicshell.net/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably been asked and answered a million times, but what are the performance requirements looking like? If my 2011 laptop runs W7 well, should it be fine for W10 too, or are the requirements significantly higher? I mean, this is supposed to run on netbooks and tablets and everything right? My laptop has a dual-core i5 at 2.3 GHz and 4GB RAM (with Intel HD 3000 graphics as well as a dedicated GeForce GT 555M).

Also, will I be able to perform a clean install of this when the time comes? My current W7 install is a bit of a mess, and I don't like the idea of a dirty upgrade from that to a new OS. I'd prefer to just start from scratch.

clav

Probably been asked and answered a million times, but what are the performance requirements looking like? If my 2011 laptop runs W7 well, should it be fine for W10 too, or are the requirements significantly higher? I mean, this is supposed to run on netbooks and tablets and everything right? My laptop has a dual-core i5 at 2.3 GHz and 4GB RAM (with Intel HD 3000 graphics as well as a dedicated GeForce GT 555M).

Also, will I be able to perform a clean install of this when the time comes? My current W7 install is a bit of a mess, and I don't like the idea of a dirty upgrade from that to a new OS. I'd prefer to just start from scratch.

Same requirements as Windows 8.

People who have pre 2006 hardware will have trouble upgrading because there are no graphics card drivers that replace the XPDM model. Intel got into a fight with Microsoft back in those days and so on and so forth with other companies.

For most people, they're fine.

I doubt a lot of you keep your computers around as long as I do.

Mr_Zombie

Windows 8 brought a new life into my old laptop (Radeon HD3200, dual core QL60 X2 1.9 GHz, 4GB RAM). I haven't tried Windows 10 on it (the laptop died over a year ago :(), but Win10 requirements are quite similar to Win8 so I think you will be fine. The worst you might have to do is disable blur transparency on taskbar and start menu.

Gattuso

I'm running it pretty decently on my awful college supplied laptop which has a dual core celeron at 1.6 GHz, 8GBs of ram, and just the regular intel HD graphics. You should be fine really.

FerranMG

Random question here: my in-laws have an ancient PC that is probably over 10 years old, and it's running Windows 7.
Should I try to update it to Windows 10 when the time comes?
It currently runs like crap, and I don't want it to run slower. But if I got even if a minor performance boost I might consider it.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I searched through the feedback app and made a post about a problem I've encountered. I wanted to know if any of you have this issue for the latest build.

The problem is there is an app under "U" that has a blank icon and says "updating." Opening the store does nothing, but uninstalling it only uninstalls the Mail and Calendar app.

I have to say I am slightly impressed.

Lately builds have been getting buggier and buggier but I've just done a fresh install of 10158 and everything seems great. They are finally putting more polish onto and it's starting to feel a more complete experience now.

Heh. The times where a new OS asked for beefier hardware are a bit behind us. Both Windows 8 and Windows 10 are designed to be used not only in desktop computers, but also in small netbooks or in transformable tablets, so they are very careful in not upping the hardware requisites. Hell, they can't consume a lot of power or it wouldn't work very well for any kind of laptop.

What's the general consensus so far, GAF, every time I turn on my PC, I get a prompt reminder that I can upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

After reading this thread's OP (which is fantastic): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055174

I came to the conclusion that there's no real downside to upgrading barring new bugs (which will be fixed). I'm one of the few who are fine with Windows 8.1 (with Classic Shell) but I fucking love tinkering with new OSs so I'm gonna upgrade as soon as it becomes available.

Should have bought a laptop with a touchscreen.

I can't go back to using a trackpad or mouse on a laptop.

I fully understood the hatred for Win 8, up until i used a Surface. Man as a touch OS its incredible. Even metro IE11 is amazing, best touch based browser around, hands down. Whereas at first trying to use it on a standard PC i was ready to start burning effigies of Steve Ballmer it was so bad. After a month with my surface i couldnt go back to a traditional laptop

Rootbeer

Banned
Dang, Edge's UI is looking very sharp. I hope they can knock it out of the park this time. If the extension system is as powerful as firefox and chrome's then they are in business.

Bought a new laptop today and it came loaded with Win 8.1..........I now understand all the hate Win 8 got

Who at MS thought it would be a good idea to have a touch based OS when a lot of people don't use touch screen computers

Please tell me 10 is better suited for non-touch interfaces!

After looking up the "new" features in Win 10 I am optimistic

Should have bought a laptop with a touchscreen.

I can't go back to using a trackpad or mouse on a laptop.

Don't know what you're missing. I'm always just reaching out and poking things now. It really is a nice addition.

hom3land

Random question here: my in-laws have an ancient PC that is probably over 10 years old, and it's running Windows 7.
Should I try to update it to Windows 10 when the time comes?
It currently runs like crap, and I don't want it to run slower. But if I got even if a minor performance boost I might consider it.

Anecdotal... But I have a 09 dell laptop with 2 gbs of ram. Tried windows 7, ran like crap. Installed mint and ran perfect. Tried 10 over the weekend. It runs amazing. Really impressed

So I am trying to reinstall windows 7 on my computer and then upgrade to 10. Do I need to do anything to make sure I don't lose all my photos On OneDrive?

Sorry if I missed on the exact details, but I know that they did say you can reinstall clean copies of Win 10 when you reformat, but how is this done? Does it stay on the hard drive and allow you to do a reformat essentially with the OS still installed (do it from within the OS) or does it allow you to use a USB drive to reinstall the OS?

I ask this because I will probably upgrade to Win 10 before I upgrade my system, which will be with Skylake.

Raide

Downloaded latest update and I love the Dark Theme for Edge. Also having some more settings to tweak with are great. Hopefully it crashed less than the last version did when swapping tabs around.

Also, did anyone else have YouTube streaming weirdness with the last version?

M3d10n

Sorry if I missed on the exact details, but I know that they did say you can reinstall clean copies of Win 10 when you reformat, but how is this done? Does it stay on the hard drive and allow you to do a reformat essentially with the OS still installed (do it from within the OS) or does it allow you to use a USB drive to reinstall the OS?

I ask this because I will probably upgrade to Win 10 before I upgrade my system, which will be with Skylake.

You can do both. From Windows 8 forward there's an option to "reset" the PC, which gets rids of all files reinstalls Windows from scratch, without need for external media. This was necessary for supporting tablets.

You can do both. From Windows 8 forward there's an option to "reset" the PC, which gets rids of all files reinstalls Windows from scratch, without need for external media. This was necessary for supporting tablets.

So it basically makes it painless? Will it still remember the serial number/key still within Windows while doing it?

For making a bootable USB stick, is it built into the OS as a feature that it will make one for you?

Has anyone has no update to the latest windows 10 version yet? I am still on 10130 and all the checks I do say I am up to date, i'm set to fast updates.

Ok I see some others are not getting the update yet too.

Mr_Zombie

I still have problems with Calendar and Mail app (can't create an account). People app doesn't work. Windows Feedback is just white window with a titlebar.

I'm now trying to create a new user account and see if that fixes things.

M3d10n

So it basically makes it painless? Will it still remember the serial number/key still within Windows while doing it?

For making a bootable USB stick, is it built into the OS as a feature that it will make one for you?

There's an option to create recovery media (USB or ISO). I don't think it can be used to perform fresh installs (as in, formatting the HDD and then using it to install), it's supposed to be used if your OS becomes unbootable for some reason.

On release day, how will I be able to upgrade to 10 from 8 on my 128GB SSD and if I want to upgrade to a 256GB drive as well?

Use a 3rd party program to clone your old HDD to the new one.

I fully understood the hatred for Win 8, up until i used a Surface. Man as a touch OS its incredible. Even metro IE11 is amazing, best touch based browser around, hands down. Whereas at first trying to use it on a standard PC i was ready to start burning effigies of Steve Ballmer it was so bad. After a month with my surface i couldnt go back to a traditional laptop
Metro's design sucks and doesn't have any useful apps. Also, Metro IE doesn't have extension support. I just ended up fingering the desktop when I had a Surface Pro 3.

The Cowboy

The new build disabled the search button on my MS all in one media keyboard :(, it used to open search on Window's 8.1 and i think earlier builds, it now does nothing.

Would be nice if they updated the software for it to open Cortana.

Mr_Zombie

Ok, so if anyone has issues with apps or start menu after upgrading Windows to the latest build, I recommend creating a new user account. While it lost some of my sync'd settings (wallpaper, color scheme, installed apps, apps settings) at least all apps works well now and there are no garbage apps on the app list.

Also, changes to start menu are visible now. Previously you could set columns of up to four medium-tile width (two wide tiles). Now you can set columns of max three medium-tile width (one wide and one medium tile).

I see that both the spotlight option from the lockscreen backgrounds and listing new suggested apps from the Store in menu start are missing. That's probably due to the backlash of Microsoft putting ads into basic system functionality. A shame, since I really liked spotlight backgrounds.

The Cowboy

Just press the windows key and start typing.

I want to make it so it opens Cortana directly, that way it can auto activate the mic function without me having to call her name :p, its weird that the keyboard software allows you to edit a number for keys to do other things, but the search button can't be remapped at all.

Its a dedicated search button on the keyboard, it would make total sense to make it activate Cortana when pressed.

I hope you enjoyed 10158 because 10159 is being pushed to fast ring later today.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/30/whoa-another-pc-build/
I wonder what the interesting change is, i bet its just the new background or something.

Mr_Zombie

I wonder what the interesting change is, i bet its just the new background or something.

It's probably the Hero wallpaper:
Screenshot-7.png

I'm more interested in those 300 bug fixes though.

Holy fuck, no swiping back in edge? How can that be? I'm not õn the preview, so I can't try out stuff myself, but I just hope edge will be as good on tablets as metro internet explorer which feels almost perfect.

Top Bottom