• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I don't think there is now. In the initial builds there was, but when you look at my setup

I don't think much space is wasted now.

Ok, that looks better.

Guesong

Just did a full install of this with the 10162 build.

And I still get the "Critical Error" bug. "Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

They never do. :(

Tired of having to use a dummy account.

Jinroh

Am I the only one who has issues with the store? Many apps just can't be updated or downloaded; either it asks to try again later or it stays stuck in installing or downloading.

Am I the only one who has issues with the store? Many apps just can't be updated or downloaded; either it asks to try again later or it stays stuck in installing or downloading.

I'm having issues with it on build 10162. It will seem like it is stuck but its really taking forever.

For me, it's a couple of things really, some I will get past, most are petty. I like the new task switching, it's very swish. Vertical Start Menu, it's fine.

I don't like the action centre much. It is good that you can turn off a lot of the notifications, as some you just don't care about.

On the Charms bar I'd use it to swipe in and see what the time was, usually when I'm watching Netflix late at night, to make sure that it's not too late. That option is gone, unless I have a task bar showing all the time.

Also, on the charms bar there were Wi-Fi and brightness options that were usable. In Windows 10, it's more like a phone. When I tap the Wi-Fi button, it turns it on and off. I have 3 wireless networks in my home, to select another I have to do a long press and another option pops up, pick that, and it will open control panel. In Windows 8, you'd tap and it would open the wi-fi options.

With brightness, you tap and it moves to 25, 50, 75 and 100%. I want 60% as that's 120 cd/m2. To do this I have to tap and hold, and go to another screen. In Windows 8.1, you'd hold and drag.

If you're in Desktop mode, when you're in a modern app, there is a back button at the top left of the screen. I use both a Surface and a Desktop machine. I doubt very much that I'm going to use the lower back button, simply because I use my Surface less.

Windows 10 for tablets has got a lot better, it's just at the moment, I still prefer 8.1. I think time will change that.

For the time even on current build you can make an app go full screen, and swipe up from the bottom to show the taskbar again. If the app does not hide the taskbar by default (mostly old apps, as the new APIs provide this capability) it takes an extra step to get it in full screen though.

Your other users cases, for WiFi and brightness are valid, but they are perhaps too user specific. I think in general most people would like having fewer taps to change them. But, you are wrong in one bit, there's no need to tap and hold, if you tap it the overlay has a link to the specific section in the settings app. So in that case it takes one less tap/gesture to be able to change the network if you have the taskbar showing and the same amount of steps to get a slider for the brightness.

Really, using win10 on a tablet might not sound better at first, but using it and after a while you'll notice everything is just faster to get done.

The biggest issue for me with tablets is that accessing the Start screen by swiping from the right and hitting the button was very quick. In portrait mode having to use a hardware key or move all the way down to lower left of the screen to access Start is slow and clunky.

I'll probably get used to it in time but it's definitely better in 8.1.

The other big issue is a scrolling list for all apps, just absolutely terrible. It pains me that everyone who whined about not having a Start menu scrolling list got their wish. It's a terrible way to search for installed items. It was terrible in Win 7 too.

Other than it's looking much better. At least the list isn't always visible now and the new app switcher is a huge step up from 8.1. I do wish there wasn't so much wasted space on the Start screen though.

I agree on the start button. Really haven't found a way around that yet. It's nicer on a SP1 where the start button is placed on one of the sides when you hold it in portrait mode, but for SP3 it's somewhat annoying.

(What I usually do is close the app I'm using, even if eventually I plan to get back at that. Not the best solution, but it's fast for getting to the start screen)

I'd prefer the all apps screen too, but something I notice from usage: it's actually quite handy when you are in tablet mode, because you can blaze through the list with your left thumb. It's way worse for discovery and two hand usage, but if you know what you are looking for, it's so fast to navigate.

Krakn3Dfx

Seen this asked a few times but not answered. Thinking about installing build 10162 on my Thinkpad x120e laptop. My Windows 7 copy on there already has a copy of Windows 10 reserved, if I do this, am I going to have any problems installing/activating the retail at launch?

zou

Don't really see what you are getting at. That looks pretty good to me.

there's nothing that's actually better in W10. And a lot of annoyances compared to W8.

the taskbar especially is dumb as fuck. oh and I absolutely hate the new icons/design language they copied from ios. ugly as hell.

Seen this asked a few times but not answered. Thinking about installing build 10162 on my Thinkpad x120e laptop. My Windows 7 copy on there already has a copy of Windows 10 reserved, if I do this, am I going to have any problems installing/activating the retail at launch?

If you install Windows 10 preview over 7, I believe you'll be fine. I think you'll have trouble if you do a clean install of Windows 10 preview over Windows 7. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Jzero

there's nothing that's actually better in W10. And a lot of annoyances compared to W8.

the taskbar especially is dumb as fuck. oh and I absolutely hate the new icons/design language they copied from ios. ugly as hell.
You cray.

Just did a full install of this with the 10162 build.

And I still get the "Critical Error" bug. "Start menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in."

They never do. :(

Tired of having to use a dummy account.

Why don't you reinstall?

I don't think there is now. In the initial builds there was, but when you look at my setup

I don't think much space is wasted now.
I don't like it in desktop mode as I always disable the likes of show most used apps, show recently added apps etc which results in a huge area of empty space above file explorer, settings, power and all apps.

dLMN8R

Can anyone tell me what's going on with certain applications (Chrome & Firefox) where I'll have this weird yellow boarder around the edge of the program when it's not in full screen mode. I'm still using build 10131, if that matters.

oNRdUIz.png

I'm sure this issue has been reported hundreds of times, but a quick Google search revealed no answers and I'd rather just find out the easy way.

It's a bug with certain applications like Chrome which draw their UI in custom ways instead of using native UI controls.

Guesong

Well, my whole problem got tangled up in one big mess of non-responsive commands so I ended up formatting my drive to do a fully fresh install.

I will stick to a LOCAL ACCOUNT for the moment cause it all seems to be because of Cortana/Microsoft Account. Goddamn Critical Error.

Now of course, to get Insider builds going...you now need the Microsoft account.

(screams internally)

Screw it. Guess I am stuck on 10162 until release. Aint risking anything else unless they specifically mention that problem has been fixed in a patch notes.

Mr_Zombie

If you updated your system to 10162 (or 10158) from 10130, try creating a new user account. Since the very first build, up until 10158, I was using the same account and with each updated I was noticing more and more errors (apps not wanting to update, some apps crashing at start, mail and calendar unable to create new user accounts, ghost apps appearing in start menu that I could't remove etc.). Creating a new user account and just migrating files solved everything.

How is Edge on windows 8 baytrail tablets? IE11 frequently freezes and stutters on my DV8P so I considers switching to Windows 10.

I use it on my HP Stream 7.

In terms of general use, I think I'm still used to metro IE. I prefer the swipe forward/backward for navigation.

That said, holding the stream in landscape, the navigation buttons are basically right under my left thumb anyway so it's not like the controls aren't easy to get to. Probably not so easy on bigger tablets though.

In terms of functionality, it works fine for me. No problems so far.

I have noticed however that my Stream 7 has no auto rotate functionality in W10? I have to go into settings to change screen orientation o_O

Anyone else have this problem with their tablet?

The Cowboy

How i want the action centre when its empty or only has a few things in it, i really wish they would add an option for this (i have put feedback for it).
This is a mock up, i haven't found a way to do this :D.

In terms of general use, I think I'm still used to metro IE. I prefer the swipe forward/backward for navigation.

That said, holding the stream in landscape, the navigation buttons are basically right under my left thumb anyway so it's not like the controls aren't easy to get to. Probably not so easy on bigger tablets though.

I have noticed however that my Stream 7 has no auto rotate functionality in W10? I have to go into settings to change screen orientation o_O

I had to install the driver to get rotate to work on the Stream 7. I haven't tried 10 on my Surface 3 so can't comment about it. I assume the OS would have drivers for it natively though.

Pooya

you know who posted some shots of build 10163, with a calendar entry that says RTM Sign off July 9.

The real deal COULD be close, or nothing at all. but whatever build 10163 pics are around.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Did they fix the issue yet of all your existing pins being removed during an upgrade from 8.1?

you know who posted some shots of build 10163, with a calendar entry that says RTM Sign off July 9.

The real deal COULD be close, or nothing at all. but whatever build 10163 pics are around.

The thing is, with Windows 10, the RTM sign off doesn't mean much. It's just the build that gets pushed out to manufacturers, but the development keeps going and I assume that insiders continue to gets frequent builds afterwards. It's basically a formality at this point.

quaere

How is Edge on windows 8 baytrail tablets? IE11 frequently freezes and stutters on my DV8P so I considers switching to Windows 10.
I have a Bay Trail compute stick - better, but it's no Chrome. For example it'll stutter on GAF for a few seconds while the ads load in, or on a GIF heavy page until the GIFs load in. Background processing still kills the UI responsiveness. Plus Edge is still kinda buggy even on the latest build.

I have a Bay Trail compute stick - better, but it's no Chrome. For example it'll stutter on GAF for a few seconds while the ads load in, or on a GIF heavy page until the GIFs load in. Background processing still kills the UI responsiveness. Plus Edge is still kinda buggy even on the latest build.

No gestures, stuttering and bugginess are disappointing, I guess I will wait, thanks for the replies.

xBlain

So my startmenu randomly start's bugging and won't display most of the content. Is there anyway to fix this? Currently running Build 10162, also had this problem on Build 10130.

IjZDShk.png

Raide

Managed to install latest Win 10 update to my Venue 8 Pro. Did it with an earlier version ages ago and the battery life was poor. 10162 is a vast improvement on it. After a few months on my main PC, I am happy enough to let it run riot on the Venue 8 Pro. :D

I certainly like having everything synced correctly to it. Also streaming Xbox One to it is pretty funny.

neoanarch

I find that most of my problems especially with the store and start menu are fixed by starting a fresh user. Try making a new user and seeing if its still broken.

zou

ugh, that 1px border is ugly as fuck.

and that new combined title bar in apps is shit, since only the top of it can be dragged. I also don't understand why they made the icons in the taskbar smaller.

edit: god, everything is so colorless and gray. soviet style windows.

The Cowboy

So is pin log in broken in this build or is it something related to my account?

fDkYlob.png

Its just a random glitch that can happen during an upgrade whilst the pin is still in use, do this to fix it.

1. Open File Explorer and make it so you can see hidden files (open view and tick hidden items).
2. Browse to this location: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC
3. Delete everything within that folder.
4. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options.
5. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
6. PIN sign in should now work once again.

Downloaded the Preview and wow, why is everything so inconsistent? There are like three different window themes being used: touch app with window controls slapped on it, Windows 8, and old ass Windows app. I thought this would be a total overhaul but they left so much old shit in it and added so much other stuff it feels unfocused and complicated. Wish I could slap Elementary OS's design on top of this so I could get Cortana and and still have a good designed desktop.

Downloaded the Preview and wow, why is everything so inconsistent? There are like three different window themes being used: touch app with window controls slapped on it, Windows 8, and old ass Windows app. I thought this would be a total overhaul but they left so much old shit in it and added so much other stuff it feels unfocused and complicated. Wish I could slap Elementary OS's design on top of this so I could get Cortana and and still have a good designed desktop.

Because they can't throw everything that's old away. Win32 is here to stay and Windows 8 apps are going to be Universal apps eventually. Or not, depending on the developer. It's really not that different from other operating systems that support legacy applications, including iOS and Android.

maeh2k

Why throw the old stuff out? If Windows 8 has taught us anything, it's that people just love the old stuff. This will surely please the ones nostalgic for Windows 7.
Besides, Win 32 will probably outlive Universal apps, anyway. If no one's using them on phones and tablets, why bother?

Guys I have a problem. On my laptop, the question mark is Alt Gr + W. But after I installed this "Synaptics pointing device driver" through windows update, it doesn't work anymore. I read somewhere that I'd have to reverse the driver on the device manager. I did it, worked great. So I started getting messages to update the frigging Synaptics Pointing Device again on windows update. It just won't let me use the driver I want to use. How can I fix this? (question mark done with Alt + 63 :p)

The Cowboy

My only real issue now with the visual design is the titlebars (and the action centre size), i really don't like that apps can override the users chosen theme colour (mail app being blue for example), nor do i like that you need to do a hack to get regular titlebars to actually use your desktop theme colour. The way it is now is by default you can have your taskbar a number of colours (by default its dark grey/black), but your regular titlebars are all very light grey and certain apps titlebars are blue and other apps are green etc - it just looks so sloppy and all over the place.

I want it so the taskbar is set to whatever colour you like, and all titlebars match that colour be they regular ones or apps.

Anyone knows how to update Builds? I am still on 10130, but I see 10162 is already out. It doesnt update the build if I use the normal Updates.

Anyone knows how to update Builds? I am still on 10130, but I see 10162 is already out. It doesnt update the build if I use the normal Updates.

AFAIK it only updates fast if you have your updates set to... FAST. But I got mine on Fast and I'm still on 10159 and it won't update to 10162. Weird thing is, if I go to MS's website they have 10162 to download. What...?

NJDEN

Its just a random glitch that can happen during an upgrade whilst the pin is still in use, do this to fix it.

1. Open File Explorer and make it so you can see hidden files (open view and tick hidden items).
2. Browse to this location: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\NGC
3. Delete everything within that folder.
4. Go to Settings-> Accounts->Sign-in Options.
5. Click Add a PIN again and set your PIN.
6. PIN sign in should now work once again.

Thanks! That fixed it.

Dmented

Banned
Hey guys,

Is there any way to change the tile icons on the start menu in Windows 10?

Really annoying to have some ugly ass icons for my programs.

updated to the newest version through windows update last night and got stuck in a boot loop that was really distressing for about 20 minutes until I got it fixed.

had to go back to 8.1, I'm now convinced this will happen at release and there is nothing that can be done

I've been on the W10 preview for a while, and the only thing that's really bothered me is the fact that the things I used to have no problem finding, I can't anymore. Specifically, my problem is the control panel. Is there a way to get the old control panel back? It's like the category system but worse in there. The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.

Raide

I've been on the W10 preview for a while, and the only thing that's really bothered me is the fact that the things I used to have no problem finding, I can't anymore. Specifically, my problem is the control panel. Is there a way to get the old control panel back? It's like the category system but worse in there. The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.

I tend to type it into Cortana and go from there.

Also, if you go to the All Settings Menu, you can right click the name and pin that setting to the Start. Handy if you use a particular setting over and over.

Top Bottom