• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

SPDIF

The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.

Cortana is your friend:

Pv3ahc6.png

So I'm really liking this on my SP3, but I'll be damned if it isn't taxing. "System" process is consistently using at least 500mb (it's at 900mb now) and my fan runs fairly frequently. Forget about opening up something like Music while browsing with multiple tabs--my SP3 becomes hot to the touch.

I'm a little surprised that I can't have a custom taskbar/pinned programs per Desktop. Will that option be added in? I'd rather have that so I can create a true separate workspace.

Giolon

The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.

In addition to the suggestions from other posters, the latest Win 10 builds also have a new interface for uninstalling programs in the modern "Settings" app. Go to Settings -> System -> Apps & Features for a list of all installed programs, both modern and not, and the ability to uninstall them.

M3d10n

I've been on the W10 preview for a while, and the only thing that's really bothered me is the fact that the things I used to have no problem finding, I can't anymore. Specifically, my problem is the control panel. Is there a way to get the old control panel back? It's like the category system but worse in there. The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.

Fastest way: right click the start button (or press Win+X), select "Program and Features". Same as Windows 8 and 8.1.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I've been on the W10 preview for a while, and the only thing that's really bothered me is the fact that the things I used to have no problem finding, I can't anymore. Specifically, my problem is the control panel. Is there a way to get the old control panel back? It's like the category system but worse in there. The only way I know how to get to the usual "uninstall a program" window is to Win+R appwiz.cpl and I just feel like there HAS to be a better way.
search "control panel"?

Just installed the 10162 build on my SP3, Edge dark theme + GAF dark theme = best looking browser ever.

Figured I'd start getting used to 10 with the RTM more than likely coming later in the week.

So can I take my RTM and use it to upgrade my Windows 8.1 but instead of installing on my HDD (where my 8.1 is) I can just install on my new SSD? I can't remember if an upgrade still lets you pick the drive.

I have 8.1 on an HDD but I want to get Genuine on my SSD. I currently have the Insider Preview on the SSD and it runs beautifully with the latest build.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Just tried out Xbox Music on Win8.1 here for the first time as kind of a Groove-preview, no way to search for track-specific artists, huh? Search results only give me album artists. Kind of a non-starter for me with that, hopefully Groove will do some work there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will I be able to upgrade a work windows 8 build to a vanilla win10? I just got made redundant but I,m hoping to keep the laptop. I should wipe it but then I'd have to buy a copy of windows. If I could install 10 over it for free that would be handy

Mr_Zombie

Will I be able to upgrade a work windows 8 build to a vanilla win10? I just got made redundant but I,m hoping to keep the laptop. I should wipe it but then I'd have to buy a copy of windows. If I could install 10 over it for free that would be handy

You will be able to upgrade it (all your files and program will stay intact -- more or less). If you want a clean Windows 10 you will then have to reinstall/refresh it after upgrading.

Zeknurn

If it's Windows 8.1 Enterprise you won't be able to take part of the free upgrade offer.

Jzero

I replaced my dual monitors with an ultra wide display so i didn't realize they released another build (10162). Feels the same for me.

M3d10n

Microsoft, what are you doing?

Translation:
"How likely are you to recommend Mozilla Firefox to your friends or colleagues?"

Yesterday it asked me how likely I was to recommend Microsoft Edge... hmm. Not sure if it's just starting to ask about frequently used software or if there is some deeper inquiry going on here.

i had the same problem with windows 8. I moded the hell out of it to make it like windows 7. I am sad to hear the same problem exists in 10.

things should get easier and things available to you should not be taken away. I hated the apple designed computer for the same reason and now windows following the suite.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
i had the same problem with windows 8. I moded the hell out of it to make it like windows 7. I am sad to hear the same problem exists in 10.

things should get easier and things available to you should not be taken away. I hated the apple designed computer for the same reason and now windows following the suite.

They have been made easier, it's just not exactly the same.

Right-clicking the Start button (or pressing Win+x) brings up quick access to commonly used power user functions that you used to have to go to the control panel to access. Or just type what you want to do in search. It's much easier now. You spent all that time modding instead of learning to use the OS.

Raide

Things are easier and more available to get to. I have been using Windows 10 since last year and apart from the usual testing issues, it have been great. I have not found any issues with finding settings etc. Between Cortana and pining things, everything is easy to find and access.

The Cowboy

I really do like Cortana, i however wish they would add in a learn word/phrase section for apps/programs

What i mean is, currently (for example) if you wish to use Cortana to launch Grand Theft Auto V you have to say exactly that "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V", i want to be able to go into Cortana settings and select an option like "Learn words/phrases", in this you would browse to an app/program (or even web page) and then tick "Learn" - Cortana would then ask you to say a word or phrase it would then remember for this app/program/web page etc.

So you would browse to and click the Grand Theft Auto V exe file and click "Learn" and Cortana would then say "Please say your word or phrase for this item after the beep", then after the beep you would say "GTA 5", it would then say "please repeat that" and you would do it again - then it would say something like "Word/Phrase learnt".

From now instead of saying "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V" you could also be able to say "Hey Cortana, open GTA 5".

wwm0nkey

I really do like Cortana, i however wish they would add in a learn word/phrase section for apps/programs

What i mean is, currently (for example) if you wish to use Cortana to launch Grand Theft Auto V you have to say exactly that "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V", i want to be able to go into Cortana settings and select an option like "Learn words/phrases", in this you would browse to an app/program (or even web page) and then tick "Learn" - Cortana would then ask you to say a word or phrase it would then remember for this app/program/web page etc.

So you would browse to and click the Grand Theft Auto V exe file and click "Learn" and Cortana would then say "Please say your word or phrase for this item after the beep", then after the beep you would say "GTA 5", it would then say "please repeat that" and you would do it again - then it would say something like "Word/Phrase learnt".

From now instead of saying "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V" you could also be able to say "Hey Cortana, open GTA 5".
I have a feeling we will see this at some point

Been suggesting this on the Xbox since forever, hopefully now that Cortana's on a platform that people actually own that sort of QoL feature gets some priority :p

The Cowboy

Been suggesting this on the Xbox since forever, hopefully now that Cortana's on a platform that people actually own that sort of QoL feature gets some priority :p

Its one of the 1srt things that jumped out at me once i realised you could use Cortana to start programs, it just makes total sense to have an option to make your own word/phrase for a program.

DagsJT

I'm stuck on 0% trying to download 10162, any suggestions? I've tried stopping the Windows Update service but that's throwing up an error as it doesn't actually stop (stuck in "stopping") and I can't start it again.

I'm stuck on 0% trying to download 10162, any suggestions? I've tried stopping the Windows Update service but that's throwing up an error as it doesn't actually stop (stuck in "stopping") and I can't start it again.
Restart the computer, sometimes it helps.

BIGWORM

Just got reupgraded to 10162...again, but seems 5.1 through Soundblaster is working, now? Must've been a hotfix that piped through as well?

Well, it appears my upgrade to 10162 knocked out my connection to the internet. Once again I am reminded of how internet issues are the worst issues to deal with in computers

Although I imagine others have been requesting this and the feature team knows about this request, I'll pass it along as well.

Top Bottom