• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

maeh2k

I really do like Cortana, i however wish they would add in a learn word/phrase section for apps/programs

What i mean is, currently (for example) if you wish to use Cortana to launch Grand Theft Auto V you have to say exactly that "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V", i want to be able to go into Cortana settings and select an option like "Learn words/phrases", in this you would browse to an app/program (or even web page) and then tick "Learn" - Cortana would then ask you to say a word or phrase it would then remember for this app/program/web page etc.

So you would browse to and click the Grand Theft Auto V exe file and click "Learn" and Cortana would then say "Please say your word or phrase for this item after the beep", then after the beep you would say "GTA 5", it would then say "please repeat that" and you would do it again - then it would say something like "Word/Phrase learnt".

From now instead of saying "Hey Cortana, open Grand Theft Auto V" you could also be able to say "Hey Cortana, open GTA 5".

Sounds like a usability disaster. Virtually no one would make use of that feature.

For that use case, I think you'd need to use machine learning. If someone tries to open "Grand Theft Auto" as "GTA", Cortana would have to ask what they meant and let the user select the app. That way Cortana could learn from all users what terms they try to open apps with and could learn to understand those without having to ask. All without modes or hidden options.

jelly

Good article. Microsoft are totally lost and have been lacking for years. I don't think they have an excuse for the state of apps.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10s-rebranded-entertainment-apps-still-arent-good

Both apps received interface overhauls in 2013, bringing Microsoft's now-ubiquitous hamburger menu to each. Beyond that change, however, almost no significant usability features have been added since 2012. Even Windows 10's new iterations of the apps – "Groove" for music and "Movies & TV" for videos – remain largely unchanged. The biggest addition to either service is the ability to stream music files from OneDrive in Xbox Music. Yet features that users have come to expect from desktop media apps still don't exist, and Microsoft hasn't given any indication they're coming.

No metadata editing abilities exist in either entertainment app, for instance, so users who want to curate their music and video libraries with information or cover art will have to rely on third-party alternatives such as Apple's iTunes to do so. The sad fact is these abilities have existed in Microsoft's other bundled media app, Windows Media Player, for more than a decade. Similarly, the company's now-unsupported Zune software had metadata editing since its first release in 2006.

I'm a little confused as to why there are Office 2016 desktop apps?

Are they going to have Universal apps and Desktop apps that do the same thing? Or will the Desktop versions be phased out?

I'm a little confused as to why there are Office 2016 desktop apps?

Are they going to have Universal apps and Desktop apps that do the same thing? Or will the Desktop versions be phased out?

In the case of Office, they will probably have both for the foreseeable future.

The Cowboy

One of the things that really annoys me with regards to Windows 10 that i really hope it adjusted in the future, is the visual consistency - i posted about this before regarding the titlebars, but this picture someone posted on Winbeta highlights the issue a lot better.

This is right clicking, nothing more - just right clicking, the only difference is on what/where you right click.
original.jpg
Its just all over the place visually in certain areas, it really needs some visual consistency in things like this.

In the case of Office, they will probably have both for the foreseeable future.

The universal apps are missing many features found in the desktop apps - which is fine for tablet usage but not acceptable as a complete replacement.

I'm not sure I understand the point of having both Universal and Desktop versions.

I mean, I get Universal apps--it's great/cool that they can use the "same" app regardless of the platform. But isn't this just the same dichotomy we have between gimped W8.1 "Modern" apps and their desktop equivalents? I thought Universal apps were going to bridge the gap.

jelly

I think the difference is they scale up across devices and share the same code base but features can be different. I would be surprised if they made the mistake of designing for the lowest common denominator again.

Daeda

Good article. Microsoft are totally lost and have been lacking for years. I don't think they have an excuse for the state of apps.

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10s-rebranded-entertainment-apps-still-arent-good

I agree that the quality of those apps tends to be lacking, but I think people are really underestimating the effect of the lawsuits the EU fought agains MS. There's plenty of decent apps/software on windows so regardless I don't think its a major deal for the OS as a whole.

dem

Whoever is in charge of these Apps needs to be fired. Lackluster in every way. Totally and completely out of touch. Havent been improved in years.

Why is there not a podcasts section in the Music app? Seriously.

P44

Hey I'm trying to understand upgrading from W10 preview to the full release edition. The wordings just confusing me so - should I just install W8 now?

Xbox Music/groove is terrible. Its just a huge joke. Windows media player seems like high tech, advanced technology compared to it. And it basically is. I have a playlist of music that it wont recognize, and since the only way to add music is through that stupid scanning feature, I can't even use it. Podcasts either, Doesn't recognize any of my podcasts. Why can't I just browse my computer and add the content I already have to my playlists?

TTOOLL

I agree with all the criticism regarding the music app. How Microsoft is unable to bundle a feature rich media player is beyond me. The app is really fast though, I'll give them that.

Not related to W10 directly, but W8.1 versions are still awful and have less functionality than the browser app. I seriously don't know what that team is even doing.

EDIT: That is, they're obviously working on the W10 version of the app, but it's still damned frustrating.

I have no idea. However, I think today it's because most people ended up ignoring these apps and are already using something else. I think back with W8 a political choice was made with the API so you can't make complex stuff that's 1:1 on features or better than what's on the desktop. It's not possible.

Those apps are largely terrible, but it's weird that the article lists iTunes as an alternative for doing things like adding cover art when WMP player does everything the Groove app doesn't. I know the article mentions WMP after but it seem strange to point out the many issues of the app and then mention a need for 3rd party software when in reality, there isn't a need because WMP exists. The apps are in dire need of a proper overhaul, but acting like MS leaves users stranded and in need of 3rd party software isn't really true.

José Mourinho;171230008 said:
Those apps are largely terrible, but it's weird that the article lists iTunes as an alternative for doing things like adding cover art when WMP player does everything the Groove app doesn't. I know the article mentions WMP after but it seem strange to point out the many issues of the app and then mention a need for 3rd party software when in reality, there isn't a need because WMP exists. The apps are in dire need of a proper overhaul, but acting like MS leaves users stranded and in need of 3rd party software isn't really true.

You don't see a problem with "oh, that feature is in our old ass legacy player, use that instead of the new app that we're actually spending resources on and pushing"?

jstripes

Banned
One of the things that really annoys me with regards to Windows 10 that i really hope it adjusted in the future, is the visual consistency - i posted about this before regarding the titlebars, but this picture someone posted on Winbeta highlights the issue a lot better.

This is right clicking, nothing more - just right clicking, the only difference is on what/where you right click.

Its just all over the place visually in certain areas, it really needs some visual consistency in things like this.

That is kinda embarrassing. I guess there's a ton of different UX APIs available, rather than a system-wide one.

You don't see a problem with "oh, that feature is in our old ass legacy player, use that instead of the new app that we're actually spending resources on and pushing"?
Of course I do and the criticism in the article is fair. But as I said, the article comes across as if users of Windows are left high and dry, and specifically mentions iTunes as an alternative option for adding album art when there is already a bundled app on the OS which can do that. How is using iTunes or any other 3rd party player a better alternative -- unless you need specific functionality -- to WMP?

The Cowboy

That is kinda embarrassing. I guess there's a ton of different UX APIs available, rather than a system-wide one.

Yeah but still, even with different API's they could at least get them looking the same.

Its just nuts that we have 7 different right click menu visual styles, some are black, some are white, some are grey, some have icons, some have different fonts, some text is grey, some text is black, some have thin borders and some have thick borders - its just terrible visual consistency, and i don't get how its been like this all the way up until this close to release.

The taskbar ones are really visually silly, you right click one part of the taskbar and you get a black box with icons beside everything, then you move somewhere else on the very same taskbar and you get a white box with no icons at all - its just weird.

BIGWORM

I've rebooted a few times, running in and out during stuff today, and 5.1 is still working for my Soundblaster Z. I don't even have to manually set my sound in the control panel. I guess it should be good for everyone else.

janoDX

So, I have Windows 10 since 2 weeks ago, and man, it works great on my laptop, but the apps suck balls.

Every program I have works perfectly with it, even games. So... Yeah, I'm waiting for full release.

The more I use Win10 the more I don't like it. It's so visually inconsistent and has too much redundant stuff packed in. We're less than a month away from release and clicking on Theme settings on the tablet UI desktop personalizer opens the Windows 7 theme changer? The hell? Microsoft has enough money to revamp all the app styles and bring the universal apps to par with the legacy apps but instead they'd rather drop the Windows 10 pre-alpha on us. And on top of all of that I can't come up with one actual selling point for upgrading to this on a desktop except for that it's free so I'll probably wait to upgrade.

Caelus

I haven't been keeping up nor installing the previews, have they fixed or has anyone ratcheted a fix for the grey titlebars.

I saw a previous fix but it seemed to bring back the old buttons and looked awful, I just want a decent dark theme :( (and visual consistency).

The Cowboy

I haven't been keeping up nor installing the previews, have they fixed or has anyone ratcheted a fix for the grey titlebars.

I saw a previous fix but it seemed to bring back the old buttons and looked awful, I just want a decent dark theme :( (and visual consistency).
Is this what your after?.
Not sure if posted earlier (sites being iffy), but if not then here.

Coloured titlebars.
vNv4ztP.png

Instructions here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-colored-titlebars-windows-10-thanks-easy-trick

Caelus

Is this what your after?.

Haha that screenshot conveniently covers up the ugly leftover buttons on regular explorer windows, the link reveals all. Not worth it.

Too bad, I actually like the design of modern UI, but at least let me change the default color like every previous Windows installation...

Thanks anyway, they'll probably add it in the release build.

Lynn616

Xbox Music/groove is terrible. Its just a huge joke. Windows media player seems like high tech, advanced technology compared to it. And it basically is. I have a playlist of music that it wont recognize, and since the only way to add music is through that stupid scanning feature, I can't even use it. Podcasts either, Doesn't recognize any of my podcasts. Why can't I just browse my computer and add the content I already have to my playlists?

Is Groove app out? Where can I get it?

M3d10n

I'm not sure I understand the point of having both Universal and Desktop versions.

I mean, I get Universal apps--it's great/cool that they can use the "same" app regardless of the platform. But isn't this just the same dichotomy we have between gimped W8.1 "Modern" apps and their desktop equivalents? I thought Universal apps were going to bridge the gap.

MS Office has a metric ton of enterprise-oriented functionality that simply cannot be supported by universal apps safely, but are largely unused by light users. For example, macros (which have historically been powerful enough to be a security risk) and support for embedded ActiveX in documents/spreadsheets/presentations.

The universal apps are meant for "light" users, just like the iOS and Android versions are. They use less system resources, occupy less system storage, can't be used to deploy malware and can be installed and updated by limited users from the Windows Store.

I wouldn't be surprised if MS starts offering the universal Office apps for free and charges only for the big boys' version.

Dmented

Banned
Really don't know whats going on but I cannot install any app from the app store. It either gives me the "Well this is embarrassing..." error or it downloads and "installs" but doesn't actually install. I can't find any information on how to fix this.

Anyone have any clues?

Eventually I think the universal will replace the desktop versions. But the first release is still ways behind, plus there`s stuff that the current app platform doesn`t support like macros and add-ins (the later is in works for the platform team, along shell integration), which are needed before the universal apps can actually replace them.

rashbeep

Banned

Yea, pretty annoying this hasn't been addressed. I get there are different design teams responsible for all these areas, but they should have some kind of communication with each other...

jstripes

Banned
Eventually I think the universal will replace the desktop versions. But the first release is still ways behind, plus there`s stuff that the current app platform doesn`t support like macros and add-ins (the later is in works for the platform team, along shell integration), which are needed before the universal apps can actually replace them.

They'd like universal apps to replace desktop apps, but as long as they keep supporting legacy code developers will keep using legacy code.

Does cortana talk back?

I never use stuff like kinect voice stuff cause talking to something that doesn't talk back just feels weird, like super awkward.

Even just a roger roger or w/e would be so much better than just doing it, I'd never use her if she doesn.t

Raide

Does cortana talk back?

I never use stuff like kinect voice stuff cause talking to something that doesn't talk back just feels weird, like super awkward.

Even just a roger roger or w/e would be so much better than just doing it, I'd never use her if she doesn.t

She tends to vocalise your commands in agreement more than anything. The US voiced Cortana is a bit more casual and I much prefer that to the UK version.

jagowar

I think that is the goal too... it will not be an overnight transition but they will slowly add more and more features to the universal apps. Taking office as the example I would expect more of their time to be spend on the universal apps than the win32 suite. They will add more features to the universal apps over the next few years. There will be an inflection point somewhere along the way when more people use the universal apps than win32 and that will signal the end.

If the firefox universal app actually works this time that could be another huge get for universal apps.

Is there any way to go back to a windows 8 style start screen with windows 10 instead the 'regular' one? I love it on my surface pro.

Does anyone know if Universal apps will work essentially the same as with Windows 8? I already know they're "windowed", but is there a way to make them full screen in the same way as with W8?

Does anyone know if Universal apps will work essentially the same as with Windows 8? I already know they're "windowed", but is there a way to make them full screen in the same way as with W8?

In Tablet Mode they will still open in fullscreen like they do now with Win8.

Is there any way to go back to a windows 8 style start screen with windows 10 instead the 'regular' one? I love it on my surface pro.

Tablet Mode

Mr_Zombie

If the app supports it, you can set it to fullscreen.
All old Windows store apps, that were released on Windows 8, should have this functions. Microsoft's new apps (e.g. News, Groove, Mail) don't have that function.

If you're on tablet, all apps are fullscreen on default.

Top Bottom