• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

My update to 130 to 159 keeps failing and rolling back to 130. Can I use a 159 ISO to upgrade and not lose my 8 upgrade proof in the process. I know it's worded strange. I just don't want to reinstall windows 8 again because only upgrades via windows update were counted, not ISO based upgrades.

No one probably knows for sure but having one of my systems on an older build is a bit annoying.

Welcome to the faster Fast ring

Hi everyone,

We have one more surprise for you this week – Build 10162, releasing to the Fast ring.

We’re at the point in the development of Windows 10 where nearly every build is getting out to our internal rings, and passing the criteria for release to Windows Insiders. We’re focused at this point on bug fixing and final polish, so it’s much easier for each build to get all the way through than earlier in the cycle when we’re adding big new features. So now we find ourselves in a great situation, with an abundance of build candidates. We’re deciding how long to let each build stay with Windows Insiders so you can really exercise them and send feedback on any problems that you’re hitting. I know many of you have said you’d love daily builds, but it is actually important sometimes to get a few days on a build so that all of the code that does deferred work (like OneDrive sync, search indexing, background updating, etc.) can run and we can get feedback and error reports.

We just released Build 10159 with our new wallpaper and logon UI on Tuesday, but this is a holiday weekend in the US and we thought that some of you might want to get an even fresher build on your PCs to play with over the long weekend. Build 10162 is another great one. In fact, our testing and internal telemetry metrics show it has better reliability, performance, battery life, and compatibility than any Windows 10 Insider Preview build so far.

We haven’t forgotten about Windows Insiders in the Slow ring either – we’re looking at Build 10162 as a candidate and unless we see any issues emerge in the Fast ring we’ll look to publish it to Slow (with ISOs) early next week.

We’re getting close now! We hope you’re as excited as we are about how Windows 10 is shaping up.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How much time and effort is it to install this via a virtual box?

The Cowboy

You know, i would usually find it annoying having to redo the OS 3 times in 3 days (brings back early XP memories :D) - but as its on my SSD and is super fast, its not bad at all.

Please fix the 5.1 issue this build, PLEASE.

Raide

should I just dump windows 8 right now? Can I download the test build right now and use it until the final version launches?

They are getting really close to launch at this point, so the builds are much more stable.

If you fancy seeing what all the fuss it about, you may as well jump in! Or just wait till your PC just prompts you to do the full install. :D

It has been fun watching MS react and evolve Win 10. Bodes well for all their other stuff.

I have a little Windows 8 tablet (the Dell Venue 8 Pro) that has full Windows 8 (not RT), but I haven't received the taskbar message about the upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

I got it on my Windows 7 desktop, but nothing on my little tablet yet. I update it fairly regularly so I'm wondering if it just missed the update to get it or something.

There's a way to force the message, right? I thought I saw an article recently that gave instructions on how to do that.

Raide

I have a little Windows 8 tablet (the Dell Venue 8 Pro) that has full Windows 8 (not RT), but I haven't received the taskbar message about the upgrade to Windows 10 yet.

I got it on my Windows 7 desktop, but nothing on my little tablet yet. I update it fairly regularly so I'm wondering if it just missed the update to get it or something.

There's a way to force the message, right? I thought I saw an article recently that gave instructions on how to do that.

I got the pop-up on my Venue 8 Pro, so not sure what the issue is. I am sure I read somewhere there was a way to bump it up.

As the builds get more stable, I am very tempted to try it on my Venue 8 Pro. As long as the battery life is better. :D

Mr_Zombie

Is there any changelog for the most recent build. I want to know if it's worth installing because I really don't want to spend another 1+ hour on installing yet another build so soon. :|

Not having followed this at all this may be a dumb question but here goes:

I'm having issues with win8.1 and have been holding out on doing a reinstall since Win10 is coming in just a few weeks. Is it possible to do a clean install with the 'free' version? Or is that only for updates? Thanks.

Archer

I really need to buy a new desktop PC as my 5 year old Dell is dying. Should I wait to 10 before buying, or buy an 8.1 and get the free upgrade? I'd like to avoid 8 as much as possible.

The Cowboy

soundblaster 5.1 issues fixed in this build?

Nope, the 5.1 issue still persists, to be clear this isn't a soundblaster issue, its am OS level issue and they know about it and they are meant to have fixed it - on the 31st of March they said they had found the problem, fixed it and where in the process of testing the fix for the next build (the build after 10049) - and well, we are way, way past that.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...echnical/f5b9fb5c-1bfc-4bc7-800a-f1e13cc119d7

I reserved my copy but ended up refreshing my computer. I'm back to Windows 8.1 and fully updated, but now I don't see the Windows 10 icon in the notification tray anymore. Any way to force this to come back?

I tried everything listed but my update keeps failing. Grrrr

Have you tried clearing the update history like the poster above mentioned?

I went to control panel (not settings) --> system --> clean files then on the popup click system files. I cleared anything with update in it.

That seemed to work for me.

Tried upgrading via the official iso(recently reset my surface pro 2 so I was on build 10120) because I couldn't upgrade using the normal process and it seemed to work......until it got to the end of the process and I'm now stuck in a loop where I get to the screen that says "Hi there, welcome back" as when I hit next it freezes and if I try to click on anything else it then restarts. There seems to be no way out of this and I have no clue what to do given control alt del on that screen does nothing and f8 no longer works.

Any advice at all?

Have you tried clearing the update history like the poster above mentioned?

I went to control panel (not settings) --> system --> clean files then on the popup click system files. I cleared anything with update in it.

That seemed to work for me.
I will try that tonight. Every time the screen goes to the 4 blue squares the circle stops spinning. It is making me crazy.

The Cowboy

Little fix in the new build, the old store app that shows in the all apps list as @[winstore etc now has an uninstall option - wohooo.

M3d10n

I just realized the game DVR works for pretty much anything. I just made recordings of Firefox and the Task Manager, lol.

I just realized the game DVR works for pretty much anything. I just made recordings of Firefox and the Task Manager, lol.

Oh, that's fun. Might come in useful for troubleshooting, especially if you use the .gifizer on Xboxdvr.com

Does the cursor show up?

(Also, Edge's spellchecker appears to be broken. It's trying to convince me the word I want is spelled "dose")

cyba89

I already had the preview on my desktop system and liked it, but I installed it on my tablet today and this feels like a whole new device with Win10 to me.
The touch handling feels so much better and the quick switch between Tablet- and Desktop-mode is great. Those finally don't feel like two different isolated interfaces anymore.

Update completely broke Action Centre for me. It shows nothing at all now, just the out of focus box on the right.

Ah well, gonna shut it down for tonight and see how it acts tomorrow.

The Cowboy

Not sure if posted earlier (sites being iffy), but if not then here.

Coloured titlebars.
vNv4ztP.png

Instructions here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-colored-titlebars-windows-10-thanks-easy-trick

For whatever reason it turned out to be the SP2 keyboard that kept crashing my computer in an update loop. Unplugged it and did everything by touch and it finally finished. Love my SP2 but really I hope the 4's keyboard has a better trackpad and most importantly of all doesn't have so many weird connection issues. In the two years I've had it there's been at least 5 or 6 times where connecting the keyboard just caused the entire thing to crash. Which isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but combined with the imminent right click/highlight issues adds up to be annoying over time.

rashbeep

Banned
So I decided to take the plunge and start using W10, but instead of downloading/installing the latest build I got stuck on 10130. When I try to check for updates, it doesn't give any available. Any ideas?

The Cowboy

So I decided to take the plunge and start using W10, but instead of downloading/installing the latest build I got stuck on 10130. When I try to check for updates, it doesn't give any available. Any ideas?

Did you change to fast ring?, if your on slow ring the current build is 10130, 10162 is currently on fast ring only. Click advanced options under Windows update and under insider builds change it from slow to fast - it should then fin 10162.

If your on fast ring already, then I'm not sure what to suggest bar a restart and see if it finds it afterwards.

Inhad something like 10140 or somewhere there, never got 10158 or 10159. It would not find 10162 so I rolled back to 10130 and it found it after updating some other junk.

It's so much better!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Phil Spencer, Peter Moore and Seamus Blackley were interviewed on IGN and Phil was talking about how some Xbox ideas are making their way into all of Microsoft and used the Insider Program as an example which was started as a result of the success they had with the Xbox One preview program.

Interesting tidbit.

Did you switch to the Fast ring?

Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced

At the bottom you can select whether you are in the Slow or Fast ring. If you want the new builds, you should switch to Fast. They won't roll out to the Slow ring until next week.

iNvid02

i ended up downloading this ISO from mega since i seemed to be stuck on build x30 for a few days

now on x62 i see the option to "fix" my microsoft account, doing that sets everything right again and ready for any remaining fast ring updates.

Top Bottom