• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

rashbeep

Banned
Did you change to fast ring?, if your on slow ring the current build is 10130, 10162 is currently on fast ring only. Click advanced options under Windows update and under insider builds change it from slow to fast - it should then fin 10162.

If your on fast ring already, then I'm not sure what to suggest bar a restart and see if it finds it afterwards.

Did you switch to the Fast ring?

Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Advanced

At the bottom you can select whether you are in the Slow or Fast ring. If you want the new builds, you should switch to Fast. They won't roll out to the Slow ring until next week.

Changed it to fast ring yesterday, but booting it up today gets the update now. Thanks guys.

Can someone explain to me what the "Windows 10 insiders will get Windows 10 first" means? Does it mean that we'll only get Windows 10 for our Insider Preview version, or if say I have 3 computers that I have reserved upgrades for Windows 10 and I'm a Windows 10 insider, I'll get upgrades for those computers?

M3d10n

Not sure if posted earlier (sites being iffy), but if not then here.

Coloured titlebars.
vNv4ztP.png

Instructions here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-colored-titlebars-windows-10-thanks-easy-trick

I really hope this becomes a thing, because the white title bars actually break some programs which used Aero-based chrome features, like Firefox and TortoiseSVN. In Windows 8 and 8.1 it was handled gracefully by replaced the Aero glass effect by the accent color, but in 10 you get parts of the title bar using the accent color and the center is white.

Also, the mail app forces blue into it's title bar.

If MS really wants to keep the white title bars, they need to report "white" as the accent color to win32 apps and use white in aero chrome replacement.

After 10158 fixed my issues with SP2 refusing to sleep, it's back to not sleeping with 10162. Anyone else had issues with builds preventing your machines from sleeping?

NJDEN

Can anyone tell me what's going on with certain applications (Chrome & Firefox) where I'll have this weird yellow boarder around the edge of the program when it's not in full screen mode. I'm still using build 10131, if that matters.

oNRdUIz.png

I'm sure this issue has been reported hundreds of times, but a quick Google search revealed no answers and I'd rather just find out the easy way.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with certain applications (Chrome & Firefox) where I'll have this weird yellow boarder around the edge of the program when it's not in full screen mode. I'm still using build 10131, if that matters.

oNRdUIz.png

I'm sure this issue has been reported hundreds of times, but a quick Google search revealed no answers and I'd rather just find out the easy way.

Is your accent color yellow? The window boarder's color is decided by the accent color you chose.

SO, I was on windows 8.1 and I downloaded the windows ISO and used a key from some site. everythings fine but will I still be able get the final version on 29th for free?

NJDEN

Is your accent color yellow? The window boarder's color is decided by the accent color you chose.

I have my color set to blue. I just realized that their is actually a thin 1 pixel boarder around all of my applications with that goldish color... It became apparent when I applied a darker wallpaper.

I tried to mach it up with the colors in the personalization menu, but it doesn't match any of them.
1uju8sJ.png

BahamutPT

How and where do you enable this feature? I don't recall the notification center being colored.

The NC has been coloured for a while IIRC (at least it has been mirroring my accent color).
For the title bars I just followed the linked instructions in this post and it worked perfectly.

Not sure if posted earlier (sites being iffy), but if not then here.

Coloured titlebars.
vNv4ztP.png

Instructions here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/how-enable-colored-titlebars-windows-10-thanks-easy-trick

Giolon

How and where do you enable this feature? I don't recall the notification center being colored.

Settings -> Personalization -> Colors. Near the bottom has an option to colorize everything except the title bars. For that part, you'll need that hack that is linked above. It will colorize the taskbar, start menu, notification center.

The Cowboy

Wow, is this another fan mockup or what Windows 10 looks like currently?

If the latter, huge improvement over the last time I checked in here...

The picture is my Windows 10 desktop, its just setup how i use it - the only tweak applied is the one in the link under the picture to make the titlebars match the selected theme colour.

neoanarch

The builds are coming faster than expected. I think I'll reinstall 7 on my desktop and keep 10 as my preview machine. Really loving 10 on a tablet.

Mechazawa

This DVR functionality still feels like it's got a long way to go. I can't seem to get it to work in any fullscreen games(wat), there's no visual cue for when it's "shadow recording" or whatever their term is, which I feel is pretty necessary since this isn't an Xbox which I know is constantly recording literally everything, and any shortcut keys I assign just straight up don't seem to work.

Pretty neat in theory though, and if they get it to a place closer to Shadowplay, it'll have a nice edge over that which pretty much tells you to go fuck yourself and plod through the Geforce Experience menus to manually toggle desktop mode every time you want to record something that isn't vanilla fullscreen.

CPCunha

Quick question... sorry if this was answered before...

...I'm building my parents a new pc next week, they need it for work so i can't be postponed. Should i go ahead and buy 8.1 and update it after 10 comes out... or should i wait for 10 to release and just buy the new version? Do we have official price for it already? will it be cheaper or more expensive than 8.1?

Thanks in advance guys!

Mr.Mike

Quick question... sorry if this was answered before...

...I'm building my parents a new pc next week, they need it for work so i can't be postponed. Should i go ahead and buy 8.1 and update it after 10 comes out... or should i wait for 10 to release and just buy the new version? Do we have official price for it already? will it be cheaper or more expensive than 8.1?

Thanks in advance guys!

Mighy as well just buuld it now. When I reinstalled Windows 8.1 there was even a prompt during the install to reserve my upgrade.

M3d10n

oNRdUIz.png

Do you have your accent color set to match your desktop background? Currently there are a few glitches where not everything changes to the new color.

Also, the window in foreground had a 1 pixel border with the accent color.

If you're referring to the misaligned pixels on the Firefox title bar, it's a bug I reported twice already: the white title bars conflict with programs that integrate aero elements in their window chrome. In Windows 8 these elements would match the accent color, which was the same as the title bar. In 10 these elements still match the accent color, but part of the title bar is force white and looks off.

SO, I was on windows 8.1 and I downloaded the windows ISO and used a key from some site. everythings fine but will I still be able get the final version on 29th for free?

I'd also like to know that. I already claimed my free upgrade, so can I install the preview and go back to the regular version on July 29th?

Heigic

I went from 10158 to 10162. Had to stop the service twice to stop it downloading 10159 though I also had the 0% bug.

So how will this integrate with tablets? Will I still be able to have the same functionality as windows 8? (as in, snapping windows mobile apps to the side of the screen while regular windows is running on the other side.)

After 10158 fixed my issues with SP2 refusing to sleep, it's back to not sleeping with 10162. Anyone else had issues with builds preventing your machines from sleeping?

Yes, mine does. Have to disable wake on LAN.

Open a command window and type 'powercfg -lastwake' without the quotes. Mine always days some USB device, but turning off wake on LAN fixes it.

So how will this integrate with tablets? Will I still be able to have the same functionality as windows 8? (as in, snapping windows mobile apps to the side of the screen while regular windows is running on the other side.)

To a certain extent yes. However the implementation is different. There's a 'Tablet Mode' which is kind of like 8.1 with snapping. The other is a desktop mode.

So when you're in Tablet mode, there isn't a 'desktop', all apps such as File Explorer or Photoshop are full screen apps. They be snapped side by side, but you can't drag them around to see your desktop icons or some such.

If you're not in desktop mode, Modern apps appear in windows and can be resized as per any other window. Or if you use the 'Windows + Cursor Left or Right' shortcut to resize the window to 50% of screen width, it will show you all the open apps and let you snap one to the other panel.

I can see come the 29th, Windows 10 will be a nice desktop application. For the quality to reach 8.1 levels will take a lot longer. It's really quite buggy.

My particular bugbear is who thought it would be a good idea to sync 'autohide task bar'. It doesn't help that it's broken, but when you're watching Netflix on your Surface you don't want a taskbar showing. So you set it to autohide. Then you use your desktop and the start menu and taskbar are auto hidden.

I also find that on both my surface and desktop that blacks are crushed, certainly in Netflix. This is at 2.2 gamma and calibrated. If I use the Nvidia Control Panel, I can play with the gamma and get Netflix to look ok, but obviously everything else is too bright.

Mr_Zombie

Here's a video showcasing Windows 10 on a tablet. http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-tablet-experience-better-ever-video
According to the author it's a much better system than Windows 8.1. The great thing is that the system treats all apps equally for the snap functionality: you can snap both modern and desktop apps.

So I tried to install an iso of the newest build today. I run msconfig first and stop all non-MS stuff. It gets through the copying files part but then the computer restarts and the 4 blue squares come up and it just freezes. I get the message that the error is 0xC1900101 - 0x30017, and that it failed during the first boot phase with an error during the boot operation. It is installing from a clean windows 7 install. I see other people with the same problem online but none of the fixes work for me. Windows 10 works great on my tablet, I just wish it would work on my desktop.

Yes, mine does. Have to disable wake on LAN.

Open a command window and type 'powercfg -lastwake' without the quotes. Mine always days some USB device, but turning off wake on LAN fixes it.

Hmm, not sure if that's the issue I'm experiencing. It's not an issue with waking from sleep, I can't get it to sleep in the first place. When I manually hit sleep from the start menu the screen goes dark for a few seconds and then it just pops to the lock screen.

This shows exactly what's wrong with Windows 10 on tablets.
It looks almost perfect for me.

All it's needing is separate options between desktop and tablet mode for handling the taskbar, and notification icons.

I wouldn't oppose to it behaving a little more like the navbar on winPhone on phones that have on screen buttons thought, where it "always show" but apps can invoke an action that hides it.

derExperte

I have my color set to blue. I just realized that their is actually a thin 1 pixel boarder around all of my applications with that goldish color... It became apparent when I applied a darker wallpaper.

I tried to mach it up with the colors in the personalization menu, but it doesn't match any of them.

Update to the current build and it should match.

Drifters

This shows exactly what's wrong with Windows 10 on tablets.
Let me guess... You don't have Windows 8 tablet. That video was demo'ed on an SP3 and quite frankly looks heads above the shit we have now.

With Android apps coming to W10, the SP3 will be the best tablet really for all needs.

What is wrong with it for tablets?

For me, it's a couple of things really, some I will get past, most are petty. I like the new task switching, it's very swish. Vertical Start Menu, it's fine.

I don't like the action centre much. It is good that you can turn off a lot of the notifications, as some you just don't care about.

On the Charms bar I'd use it to swipe in and see what the time was, usually when I'm watching Netflix late at night, to make sure that it's not too late. That option is gone, unless I have a task bar showing all the time.

Also, on the charms bar there were Wi-Fi and brightness options that were usable. In Windows 10, it's more like a phone. When I tap the Wi-Fi button, it turns it on and off. I have 3 wireless networks in my home, to select another I have to do a long press and another option pops up, pick that, and it will open control panel. In Windows 8, you'd tap and it would open the wi-fi options.

With brightness, you tap and it moves to 25, 50, 75 and 100%. I want 60% as that's 120 cd/m2. To do this I have to tap and hold, and go to another screen. In Windows 8.1, you'd hold and drag.

If you're in Desktop mode, when you're in a modern app, there is a back button at the top left of the screen. I use both a Surface and a Desktop machine. I doubt very much that I'm going to use the lower back button, simply because I use my Surface less.

Windows 10 for tablets has got a lot better, it's just at the moment, I still prefer 8.1. I think time will change that.

So uhh... How do I disable v-sync in Windows 10? It seems to force itself regardless of my in-game and nvidia control panel settings.

It's kind of unbearable.

Zeknurn

There's no arguing that Windows 10 is a step back in a lot of ways for tablets. I'm probably going to stick to Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro 2 until they hopefully address the issues in the fall update.

So I took the plunge and finally installed Windows 10 Technical Preview 10162 on my SP3. I am loving it so far but having some issues.

1. I can't activate Windows 10. Every time I hit activate, I always get the error of "Windows can't activate. Try again later." I have tried using the key they provided too, still won't work.
2. I can't connect my Office 365 account with Cortana. I have my Office 2016 installed over my Office 365 installation. When I enter my login information to connect the accounts it all goes smoothly until the end when I get the error message of "Uh-oh something went wrong..." in the connected accounts box. I still get the error when I downgraded back to O2013.
3. Downloads and updates within the metro store take forever to start and go sometimes. It's really strange.

Other than that everything else is fine. I'm thinking about installing Windows Phone 10 on my 1520. Are there any cool features that can be done with having Windows 10 on both phone and pc?

For me, it's a couple of things really, some I will get past, most are petty. I like the new task switching, it's very swish. Vertical Start Menu, it's fine.

I don't like the action centre much. It is good that you can turn off a lot of the notifications, as some you just don't care about.

On the Charms bar I'd use it to swipe in and see what the time was, usually when I'm watching Netflix late at night, to make sure that it's not too late. That option is gone, unless I have a task bar showing all the time.

Also, on the charms bar there were Wi-Fi and brightness options that were usable. In Windows 10, it's more like a phone. When I tap the Wi-Fi button, it turns it on and off. I have 3 wireless networks in my home, to select another I have to do a long press and another option pops up, pick that, and it will open control panel. In Windows 8, you'd tap and it would open the wi-fi options.

With brightness, you tap and it moves to 25, 50, 75 and 100%. I want 60% as that's 120 cd/m2. To do this I have to tap and hold, and go to another screen. In Windows 8.1, you'd hold and drag.

If you're in Desktop mode, when you're in a modern app, there is a back button at the top left of the screen. I use both a Surface and a Desktop machine. I doubt very much that I'm going to use the lower back button, simply because I use my Surface less.

Windows 10 for tablets has got a lot better, it's just at the moment, I still prefer 8.1. I think time will change that.

I agree with you on the action centre stuff. The hot buttons are nice, but the functionality for something like brightness was better in 8.1.

For WiFi, you can tap the WiFi logo in the taskbar and it'll pop-up. Weird that it's disconnected now, but the option is there.

Also, for time/date, you can set the taskbar to auto-hide in desktop mode (touch+hold > properties > auto hide taskbar) and that will affect tablet mode as well. From there, it's simply a swipe up gesture for time (not sure if it's a bug, but you can also swipe up from outside the screen over where the time/date would be and it opens the little calendar popup, too). Not as ideal or huge as before, but it's there if you want it.

One thing I dislike is the fact that you can't swipe back and forward in Edge and that the address bar is at the top instead of the bottom.

And one thing I like is the new task switcher more than the one in 8.1.

hadareud

The Translator
The only two things I don't like about W10 on tablets are that Edge isn't optimised for touch (no full screen, no swipe gestures) and that I preferred the old app switching over the new one.

The first one is quite a major omission, and I think they know it, too. The second one is a personal preference, so who cares.

Other than that, I have to say I really like it now on my SP3. There's a few visual things that need tightening up (action centre is somewhat barren and therefore too big and ugly), certain things are a bit too small etc., but nothing too drastic that isn't easily fixable.

edit: oh yeah, the time and date not showing up when swiping in from the right is bloody annoying.

So apparently it's the Xbox app that is screwing me over with VSync in my games.

Has anybody figured a way to uninstall or disable it? Not finding it easily on google.

With any Universal/Modern App that's playing full screen video, if you swipe up from the bottom it pulls up the task bar showing you time and giving you access to network, volume, battery/brightness settings.

Setting brightness outside of the 25 percentile intervals without going into the settings menu is a valid issue, but those other actions you mentioned using charms for in Win 8 will still be accomplished with a swipe.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The biggest issue for me with tablets is that accessing the Start screen by swiping from the right and hitting the button was very quick. In portrait mode having to use a hardware key or move all the way down to lower left of the screen to access Start is slow and clunky.

I'll probably get used to it in time but it's definitely better in 8.1.

The other big issue is a scrolling list for all apps, just absolutely terrible. It pains me that everyone who whined about not having a Start menu scrolling list got their wish. It's a terrible way to search for installed items. It was terrible in Win 7 too.

Other than it's looking much better. At least the list isn't always visible now and the new app switcher is a huge step up from 8.1. I do wish there wasn't so much wasted space on the Start screen though.

Action centre should have a minimum height set if there isn't enough content to warrant full screen.

Most of the time I'm using it just for the quick settings, so it would be more efficient to just have it use the lower right corner, and maybe expand it after 5 seconds.

Top Bottom