• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Is it already known by the way how many space Windows 10 will need with the full release? I'm cleaning up space on my SSD anyway, but to have some kind of indication would be nice :)

Space available for an upgrade? Not sure, but I think the downloads are roughly 3GB, so you probably need that much.
Space available for a clean install? Roughly 20GB for a 64-bit install.

What is going to happen to my Windows 7 key after I upgrade to 10? I know that I can't reinstall 10 if I change out my PC parts, but can I still install my 7?
During the upgrade your key will be turned into a Windows 10 key. You will not be able to go back to Windows 7 once you have upgraded to Windows 10 as it will not work with the old key.

Klocker

During the upgrade your key will be turned into a Windows 10 key. You will not be able to go back to Windows 7 once you have upgraded to Windows 10 as it will not work with the old key.

If I don't change parts and win 10 doesn't work with some key programs I have, can I revert back to 7 on my pc?

Giolon

Damn having some major problems upgrading here. My laptop won't upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update anymore by using the Insider Preview installer.

Ok fine, so I installed build 10162 from the ISO. However, now after switching to the fast ring, my laptop never sees build 10166. It was all working fine a week or so ago when 10158, 10159, and 10162 were released >.<

What is going to happen to my Windows 7 key after I upgrade to 10? I know that I can't reinstall 10 if I change out my PC parts, but can I still install my 7?

I changed hardware multiple times and my key was invalid and just chatted with MS support and they changed it no questions. They just had to login remotely and get some info

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Once you upgrade your key from 7 to 10, there is no returning to 7. You would need to buy a new copy of 7.

I have a Windows 7 and Windows 8 key, does it automatically upgrade the one I'm currently using or do I get an option to input the key I wish to upgrade?

I have a Windows 7 and Windows 8 key, does it automatically upgrade the one I'm currently using or do I get an option to input the key I wish to upgrade?

Hmm, I am guessing here but I think whichever you use when you upgrade.

Also from the previous post about chatting customer support about refreshing the key for new hardware, I wonder if that would work to roll back to a previous version of windows if you're unhappy with 10. Any one know?

Wait, this doesn't make sense.

If you have retail Windows 7, then you should get retail Windows 10, and therefore be able to install it again every time you get a new PC (as long as you no longer use the old one).

If you have OEM Windows 7 Professional, then you currently have downgrade rights, and it would be weird to take that away when getting 10.

If you have OEM Windows 7 Home Basic, then you currently have no downgrade rights, and no right to reinstall on a new PC, so you wouldn't expect to get those with 10 either.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Alright so I reinstalled Windows 10 tech preview after a few months of returning to Windows 8.1 and whoa the changes are huge. It ran like butter before but now its even more efficient and Microsoft Edge is so damn good.

Got a few questions regarding Edge, wondering if someone could answer them. Specifically, are there any plugins/addons yet? I just want some form of ad block plus YouTube enhancements like auto-stretch and auto-HD. Cheers!

No add-ons yet for Edge. They mentioned it would come after release. I think it is one of those 'take time do it right rather than rush it for launch' things. Much like the Skype features that got delayed. (Speaking of Edge, the spell check told me Skype wasn't a word, lol)

Whichever Windows version key is in use on your PC will be what is transformed into a Windows 10 key. You won't be able to input a different key during the upgrade process.

No add-ons yet for Edge. They mentioned it would come after release. I think it is one of those 'take time do it right rather than rush it for launch' things. Much like the Skype features that got delayed. (Speaking of Edge, the spell check told me Skype wasn't a word, lol)

Spell check seems to be one of those "rush it in for launch" features, lol. Shit is wack.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Whichever Windows version key is in use on your PC will be what is transformed into a Windows 10 key. You won't be able to input a different key during the upgrade process.

Looks like I'll have to install Windows 7 first then, I'd rather the upgrade eat that key.

Ghazi

Wonder if I can use my Windows 8 key on another PC that I want to build and upgrade to 10

Actually, I upgraded this PC's 7 to 8, now I'm going to 10. Could I not just upgrade from 8 to 10 on my current computer, install 7 on the future computer with the key off this computer and get 10 on two PCs.

Whogie

Wonder if I can use my Windows 8 key on another PC that I want to build and upgrade to 10

Actually, I upgraded this PC's 7 to 8, now I'm going to 10. Could I not just upgrade from 8 to 10 on my current computer, install 7 on the future computer with the key off this computer and get 10 on two PCs.

Yes, you probably can, assuming it's a retail copy of 7.
It may make you call Microsoft to activate on the new Win 7, but I've done that plenty of times and it's been a non-issue.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Here is a weird issue:

Whenever I scroll through a Windows Explorer window, it pauses momentarily, then moves down maybe only 2 or 3 lines total. In Chrome, Edge, and Settings, etc, everything scrolls fine. But for some damn reason, I can't figure out why it won't scroll smoothly in Windows Explorer.

Any help? ASUS B43 laptop, Elan touchpad, just in case that matters.

Guri

Wait, this doesn't make sense.

If you have retail Windows 7, then you should get retail Windows 10, and therefore be able to install it again every time you get a new PC (as long as you no longer use the old one).

If you have OEM Windows 7 Professional, then you currently have downgrade rights, and it would be weird to take that away when getting 10.

If you have OEM Windows 7 Home Basic, then you currently have no downgrade rights, and no right to reinstall on a new PC, so you wouldn't expect to get those with 10 either.

Different situation, but I have two retail Windows 8 keys (later upgraded to 8.1). So I can upgrade my PCs and still install Windows 10?

jediyoshi

Anyone else on Build 10162 having trouble downloading 10166? My update is stuck on 0%. >_<

Updating through windows update stopped working for me forever ago. I always just download the iso now ;_; At least you don't have to go through the trouble of turning it into bootable media now

This helped me last time, worth a shot. CTRL ALT DEL and go to task manager > services tab > and then find wuauserv and right click > restart.

Updating through windows update stopped working for me forever ago. I always just download the iso now ;_; At least you don't have to go through the trouble of turning it into bootable media now

I have a lot of issues with my Windows Update. Well I restarted my SP3 and now I no longer see the update. I just see again the May System Hardware Update that never installs and I can't skip. I researched this and its an issue with other SP3 owners. The link for the June update on Microsoft Download Center does not work.

I tried the trick to change the regedit key for Windows Update and it won't let me change the value regardless of being opened as admin or not. I tried the other trick of restarting the service and even ran a script I found online that restarts the service and clears/deletes a cache. That completes fine but my Windows Update will still not install the May SP3 Update.

When you use the iso's to install new builds of W10, does it delete everything or just updates and leaves everything as is?

Mechazawa

Anyone in here still experiencing the critical error? Because I sorta found a solution, but it's cobbled together from various forums posts where I had to put two and two together and the instructions will vary depending on the person's circumstance(stuff that didn't work for me apparently worked for others, so I had to find ways around particular issues)

Otherwise, I won't bother.

Edit: God damn it, it came back again the next day. It seems anytime a user account gets linked to Microsoft, it gets fucked up.

Erm, I posted this in the other topic that is slowly active and forgot about this one which is the one I think I meant to post it in.

Just received NewEgg's new deals and again NewEgg has the 500GB Samsung 850 EVO on sale for $162 this time with free shipping.

Odd promo code that only takes a couple bucks off also that I'm guessing is meant to really be a discount for three day shipping or something.

EMCAVKA24

Good for the next 70 hours and 40ish minutes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373

Full page of the 72 hour days here: http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/July-0-2015/72Housonly_10/index-landing.html

Number_6

Wait now, you can't reinstall if you change hardware?? Like, what hardware? Hard drive, mobo, cpu, gpu? But your old key becomes a Windows 10 key? So if I get the free upgrade, and something goes bad hardware wise, I'm just stuck?

That's utterly ridiculous, shit breaks.

quesalupa

Wait now, you can't reinstall if you change hardware?? Like, what hardware? Hard drive, mobo, cpu, gpu? But your old key becomes a Windows 10 key? So if I get the free upgrade, and something goes bad hardware wise, I'm just stuck?

Yeah this confuses me. If I wanted to switch mobos on my computer with Windows 8, I could just remove the key and use it on a new one. I can't do that with Windows 10?

Guys, how is driver support on Windows 10?

I ask because I have an external soundcard on my laptop as I need optical out to connect it to my receiver and I´m concerned that, if I upgrade, the windows 8 driver I have for it won´t work.

If I had another pc that I could install windows 10 on it and try it out, it would be cake, but I don´t, all I´ve got is this laptop.

hadareud

The Translator

Yeah this confuses me. If I wanted to switch mobos on my computer with Windows 8, I could just remove the key and use it on a new one. I can't do that with Windows 10?

If you change your motherboard, officially you will need a new license. This has been the case all along, certainly with Windows 7 and Windows 8. The moterboard is the computer, after all. Not your case, hdd or gpu.

That said, in the real world I called them up a couple of times when I replaced my motherboard saying that it broke (and it did break, once) and they gave me a new key for free.

I strongly suspect that this is still the case with Windows 10, even thought they will not officially say so. They didn't say so with W8 or 7, either.

Hulud

Do windows 8.1 bluetooth dongles work with W10? I want to buy one to connect my phone with but I don't want to have to buy a new one once W10 hits.

If you change your motherboard, officially you will need a new license. This has been the case all along, certainly with Windows 7 and Windows 8. The moterboard is the computer, after all. Not your case, hdd or gpu.

That said, in the real world I called them up a couple of times when I replaced my motherboard saying that it broke (and it did break, once) and they gave me a new key for free.

I strongly suspect that this is still the case with Windows 10, even thought they will not officially say so. They didn't say so with W8 or 7, either.

Whenever I needed to activate my copy again (transfer, new hardware, etc.) and it didn't go through the internet, I just called them up and activated it via phone. I've been doing this since Windows XP and never had a problem or got refused. It's not really an issue.

TylerD

Whenever I needed to activate my copy again (transfer, new hardware, etc.) and it didn't go through the internet, I just called them up and activated it via phone. I've been doing this since Windows XP and never had a problem or got refused. It's not really an issue.

Yep, I've had to do it when virtualizing servers as well. Pretty painless process.

wrowa

This has been asked a billion times already, I'm sure, but can you update from the beta to the final version this time around?

Also, what happens if you have a Windows version eligible for the free upgrade and decide to install the preview now? Will your key carry over to the preview and then to the final release or would you first need to downgrade to the previous Windows version again once the final release hits?

I'm just curios how Microsoft is handling the release this time around, especially with that free upgrade offer they have.

M3d10n

Same. Several years ago I had to re-authorize an OEM desktop XP install due to upgrading the PC too much. Made a phone call and had it done pretty much painlessly.

Same here. I did over the phone activation with Windows 8 a couple of times with completely new hardware and haven't had any problems.

dLMN8R

Nice, latest build fixed the ridiculous "System" memory usage. Bad news is I can no longer use my SP3 as a frying pan.

The "system" memory usage being high might actually be design. While there were a couple of bugs around it, it's similar to SuperFetch in how people thought Windows was sucking down all their memory when it was merely just preloading applications you use frequently.

There might be a blog post about it eventually, but basically "System" might show up as high while cache is waiting to be written to disk.

Top Bottom