• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

hadareud

The Translator
In Windows 7/8, you can choose for the taskbar to "Combine when taskbar is full/Never Combine" which would make the taskbar icons have labels and be rectangular shaped instead of square.

Does this option exist in Windows 10?

Yes.

edit: or what Plywood said.

dLMN8R

Man, it's getting real, isn't it?

I have twice the gray hair today compared to a month ago, but it looks like everything's actually coming together in these last couple of weeks.

Seanspeed

Banned
Can anybody tell me if the taskbar at the bottom can be *completely* hidden? Like, not just hidden, but also not have that little 3-pixel wide line at the bottom?

I just noticed the new photos/mail apps make it very hard to send OneDrive pictures... Mainly because the mail app doesn't support the share charm, but not having the file picker feels a downgrade compared to 8/8.1 (even though most of the apps sucked, and were really bad at managing, the concept was very cool).

I hope eventually we get something close to the phone experience, which is very nice

Edit: I'm talking about pictures that are on onedrive, but you are not syncing the folder for instance. The photos app let you see it, but you can't download, share won't work because the mail doesn't support it, neither does copying for whatever reason...

jagowar

I wonder which of the cloud storage providers are going to fix the whole sync issue... After using these services for a while when you start sharing folders and they all have to sync to your local computer to use they really can eat up your space very quickly (esp annoying on SSD computers where you don't have a ton of extra storage). Selective syncing really isn't the options.

They really should just let the user set a cache size and have the apps operate more like the mobile apps where it just shows the metadata until you want to work on a file and then it downloads and keeps the file locally until the cache runs out and then starts truncating the oldest unused files.

Klocker

I wonder which of the cloud storage providers are going to fix the whole sync issue... After using these services for a while when you start sharing folders and they all have to sync to your local computer to use they really can eat up your space very quickly (esp annoying on SSD computers where you don't have a ton of extra storage). Selective syncing really isn't the options.

They really should just let the user set a cache size and have the apps operate more like the mobile apps where it just shows the metadata until you want to work on a file and then it downloads and keeps the file locally until the cache runs out and then starts truncating the oldest unused files.

That reminds me, what is the state of one drive syncing now? Last I read, (technical preview) they did away with seeing all your files if not on local drive. They only let you see what was synced. Said it was confusing people who didn't know when traveling if they actually had the file on machine or not.

Changed now?

Drifters

So 10176 is almost the RTM candidate which I'm assuming 10191 would be a fitting RTM release given that it would be 10.1.9.1 which would be a nice inside joke for the Windows 9 hazing.

Filth

So I reserved my copy in windows 7. I haven't used windows 8 pretty much at all. Am I going to see improvement in loading times if I have a high end system going on 10 ?

AlexMogil

I'm one of the people you hate. I have to have all my files synced because I might be somewhere without Internet and will need that one file... that isn't there.

But I really like your idea: none all or cache limit based on hot files.

Giolon

Is it close enough to the consumer version? In other words should I download it on my main setup yet?

It's been working great for me on my MSI GS60 2QE laptop, and I love it, except for two problems:

1) PowerDVD 15 doesn't work, even though it claims to be "Windows 10 Ready". After a couple minutes, the image will just freeze up and start to corrupt. No support from Cyberlink yet b/c Windows 10 is pre-release. I'm hoping it's a driver issue since Intel's Win 10 drivers are still beta. This is kind of a dealbreaker for me atm...

2) Windows 10 will not save the network adapter priority order (i.e. Use Ethernet before WiFi). Any changes revert to the default immediately after saving them. This bug has been reported since at least 5 months ago in MS's official Feedback app, but it seems not enough people have voted for it to get it noticed or fixed. This is also a dealbreaker for me since my company requires I install a VPN on my computer in order to log in remotely, and unless I set it to be the lowest priority network adapter, it breaks IPv6 and iTunes AirPlay.

Other than those two issues, Windows 10 is the best OS MS has ever released and the latest betas are in pretty damn great shape.

Compsiox

Banned
It's been working great for me on my MSI GS60 2QE laptop, and I love it, except for two problems:

1) PowerDVD 15 doesn't work, even though it claims to be "Windows 10 Ready". After a couple minutes, the image will just freeze up and start to corrupt. No support from Cyberlink yet b/c Windows 10 is pre-release. I'm hoping it's a driver issue since Intel's Win 10 drivers are still beta. This is kind of a dealbreaker for me atm...

2) Windows 10 will not save the network adapter priority order (i.e. Use Ethernet before WiFi). Any changes revert to the default immediately after saving them. This bug has been reported since at least 5 months ago in MS's official Feedback app, but it seems not enough people have voted for it to get it noticed or fixed. This is also a dealbreaker for me since my company requires I install a VPN on my computer in order to log in remotely, and unless I set it to be the lowest priority network adapter, it breaks IPv6.

Other than those two issues, Windows 10 is the best OS MS has ever released and the latest betas are in pretty damn great shape.

If those are the only major issues that does sound pretty great. Thanks for letting me know!

I'll most likely be getting it.

That reminds me, what is the state of one drive syncing now? Last I read, (technical preview) they did away with seeing all your files if not on local drive. They only let you see what was synced. Said it was confusing people who didn't know when traveling if they actually had the file on machine or not.

Changed now?
Right now they went back to the win 7 client. A new sync engine is coming later in the year, and smart files next year I guess.

Bitcasa handled this very well. The sync client created a virtual hard drive and basically worked better than smart files on 8.1. And you can setup a cache size so the client would know how much to keep.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Doesn't one drive already do this? There's an option to have files "on demand", until you try to view them they live on the cloud. You can set it to always keep them downloaded and offline ready, or to always have them online and on demand

npa189

Just updated my main rig today and I'm pretty impressed with the overhaul, it all works and looks great. I'm on 10162, is that the current build?

Klocker

Right now they went back to the win 7 client. A new sync engine is coming later in the year, and smart files next year I guess.

Bitcasa handled this very well. The sync client created a virtual hard drive and basically worked better than smart files on 8.1. And you can setup a cache size so the client would know how much to keep.

Thanks

Giolon

On the slow ring yea, I would stick with it until the RTM hits very stable.

Just updated my main rig today and I'm pretty impressed with the overhaul, it all works and looks great. I'm on 10162, is that the current build?

I'd actually swap over to the Fast Ring at least temporarily to get build 10166. It's got some nice fixes in there for Edge and a fix for resuming from sleep.

I have only used Windows 10 build 10162 and 10166. Has anyone in here had any successful attempts in connecting their Office 365 account with Cortana? Because I never have and I always get this error message. =\

XZ3hcuC.png

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Tom Warren says build 10240 will be RTM. I don't know where he is getting that info from though.

The Cowboy

Anyone else getting this error when its clear you shouldn't be getting this error?, I've had this is a few builds now.
Really annoying me now, clearing the pagefile on restart gets rid of it for a while, but eventually it comes back.

Tom Warren says build 10240 will be RTM. I don't know where he is getting that info from though.

While it feel like he hasn't had a good scoop in a while, he still has reliable sources (I think). And the full build string he posted says it was compiled on July 9th, which is the RTM shipping date (according to everyone).

M3d10n

Right now OneDrive on Windows 10 works like on Windows 7, where you select which folders you want to sync and only synced folders are visible locally. Definitely a step back from Windows 8.1, since you can't browse online-only files nor download on demand, making it no different than other cloud solutions on Windows.

It would be nice to at least have the ability of have the online files show up in a virtual folder of sorts or some kind of network drive while MS isn't done figuring out how to make a user friendly sync engine that seamlessly integrates with everything.

Ade

Right now OneDrive on Windows 10 works like on Windows 7, where you select which folders you want to sync and only synced folders are visible locally. Definitely a step back from Windows 8.1, since you can't browse online-only files nor download on demand, making it no different than other cloud solutions on Windows.

It would be nice to at least have the ability of have the online files show up in a virtual folder of sorts or some kind of network drive while MS isn't done figuring out how to make a user friendly sync engine that seamlessly integrates with everything.

Yup. I REALLY miss this feature, I don't have enough space to sync OneDrive locally in its entirety, but having to use the site/app to get at my files is an arse

The Cowboy

Yup. I REALLY miss this feature, I don't have enough space to sync OneDrive locally in its entirety, but having to use the site/app to get at my files is an arse

Same here, luckily i have a big storage drive so i just synced everyone onto it - but its such a shame they changed it/put it back for the worse.

When I switched to 8.1 I never used Onedrive, then once i learned about smart files and how well integrated it all was I moved everything i had to Onedrive for ease of use as it was just so easy to use and you could see everything on your PC even if it wasn't on your PC, in Windows 10 I just have everything on a storage drive as Onedrive is just crap - they took out the most useful aspect of it being integrated into the OS, and it just sucks because of it.

jagowar

Yeah bitcasa is how it should be done.... but bitcasa has its own set of issues. Really hoping one of the bigger players make their apps work like bitcasa or bitcasa gets bigger and adds in functionality like the office integration and apps in more places.

Zeknurn

This dude is bringing WAY too much cringe for this early in the morning.

Edit: He's doing an elaborate Tom Haverford impression, right? He can't really act like this all day long.

It was bad at first but he sold me with his chef impersonation.

While it feel like he hasn't had a good scoop in a while, he still has reliable sources (I think). And the full build string he posted says it was compiled on July 9th, which is the RTM shipping date (according to everyone).

Isn't the final build always pumped up to a number divisible by 16 or something like that?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/13/windows-10-launch/

As we've previously reported, Microsoft is making Windows 10 available to its five million beta testers first on July 29. Afterwards, there will be a staggered rollout for everyone else. That also means Windows 10 won't be available for new computers sold on July 29, Bloomberg reports. Instead, you can either upgrade your new computer inside a store (we've love to see how smoothly that process goes), or get bumped ahead in the Windows 10 download queue if they want to upgrade later

haha. who's going to take their system to the store ;P i would if they give me a free xbox one.

I have the most awful luck with Windows OS upgrades. So I always choose to format a drive and install fresh instead. Am I able to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after I've claimed the upgrade from 8.1?

Top Bottom