• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

M3d10n

The "system" memory usage being high might actually be design. While there were a couple of bugs around it, it's similar to SuperFetch in how people thought Windows was sucking down all their memory when it was merely just preloading applications you use frequently.

There might be a blog post about it eventually, but basically "System" might show up as high while cache is waiting to be written to disk.

Superfetch memory was never really counted towards total RAM usage, was it?

The "system" memory usage being high might actually be design. While there were a couple of bugs around it, it's similar to SuperFetch in how people thought Windows was sucking down all their memory when it was merely just preloading applications you use frequently.

There might be a blog post about it eventually, but basically "System" might show up as high while cache is waiting to be written to disk.

I thought that, but this thing was hogging memory CONSTANTLY--it literally never stopped. I'd have to take a break after 40-50 minutes because my SP3 got HOT. Had to let it cool down.

Hasn't happened once yet with the current build, though!

Unrelated: am I missing a way to see my flagged messages in the new Mail app?

M3d10n

I noticed that in 10162 killing explorer.exe no longer takes down all modern apps along with it. Good, I was afraid there was some deeper interdependency that was harder to get hid of.

Wreav

Banned
As a casual reader of this thread, and not a beta participant, I'm a little worried about how 10 is shaping up in the closing weeks to launch.

Mr_Zombie

As a casual reader of this thread, and not a beta participant, I'm a little worried about how 10 is shaping up in the closing weeks to launch.

Nah, the system works well. At least I haven't notice any bigger bugs in recent builds.

The main problem with Win10 lies elsewhere - it's once again a mishmash of various design languages as shown before in the right-click menu comparison. It's both better and worse than Windows 8 (depends on how you look at it): in Win8 there was a clear distinction between modern elements (fullscreen aps, start screen, charms bar) and old elements (everything else). Modern apps looked and acted completely different than everything else so it was like jumping between two different OS. Win10 mixes modern elements (start menu/screen, notification bar, various elements in taskbar, modern apps opening in windows etc.) and old elements so now it feels much more integrated, like a single OS, but the difference in UI elements can be a bit jarring.

And official apps are mostly meh: they look nice but for desktop apps (and sometimes even for mobile apps) their functionality is very limited.

Nah, the system works well. At least I haven't notice any bigger bugs in recent builds.

The main problem with Win10 lies elsewhere - it's once again a mishmash of various design languages as shown before in the right-click menu comparison. It's both better and worse than Windows 8 (depends on how you look at it): in Win8 there was a clear distinction between modern elements (fullscreen aps, start screen, charms bar) and old elements (everything else). Modern apps looked and acted completely different than everything else so it was like jumping between two different OS. Win10 mixes modern elements (start menu/screen, notification bar, various elements in taskbar, modern apps opening in windows etc.) and old elements so now it feels much more integrated, like a single OS, but the difference in UI elements can be a bit jarring.

And official apps are mostly meh: they look nice but for desktop apps (and sometimes even for mobile apps) their functionality is very limited.

Yeah, I really don't understand all the inconsistencies.

Like, the Settings for the Mail and Calendar apps are accessed by a gear icon in the lower right corner, next to a few other icons.

Settings for the People app? Hidden inside of an ellipsis menu in the upper right corner.

And that's just one example. They're both new, modern, universal W10 apps. Why do these inconsistencies exist?

Caayn

What's the problem. Been uploading music today to OneDrive with no issues.
It can't run a single minute without crashing.
knipselu4rwa.png

So every time a new build comes out I get my hopes up, and each time they are dashed. It tried to install an iso of the new build today and I get the same error: C1900101-0x30017. I run msconfig and I disable all Services and all my drivers are up to date. I can't find anything else online

Faddy

Banned
vertical-taskbar.jpeg

Ok I need to ask how thin can you make the taskbar when it is vertical? I am using Win7 and have a program called 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to make it as thin as possible

Shadownet

Banned
Does anyone know how to fix Cortana command? I ask her to "Play my music"

But she keep answering "Can't find music on your device"

Even though the default music app is Grove, and there are music in the app itself, so its not empty. I have to manually launch the app to get it to work. Even then I can't specifically ask it to play a particular song or artist.

I can only ask it to skip song, pause, resume and play music. So yeah unless Grove is launched, Cortana command doesn't work for me.

Number_6

If you change your motherboard, officially you will need a new license. This has been the case all along, certainly with Windows 7 and Windows 8. The moterboard is the computer, after all. Not your case, hdd or gpu.

That said, in the real world I called them up a couple of times when I replaced my motherboard saying that it broke (and it did break, once) and they gave me a new key for free.

I strongly suspect that this is still the case with Windows 10, even thought they will not officially say so. They didn't say so with W8 or 7, either.

Not really. I just replaced my motherboard and processor with different ones last december, and used my 5-year-old W7 key with no issue.

hadareud

The Translator
That doesn't mean that the licence agreement didn't say otherwise though, which is what is being argued about.

That's what I meant by the real world not necessarily corresponding with the official word.

Drifters

Wreav, as a casual reader of this thread, a participant in it and beta testing since the beginning, I should say that you have little to be worried about in how 10 is shaping up in the closing weeks to launch. W10 is getting better and better with each release and this will be the second coming of computing for Microsoft. It literally is that good.

Giolon

Not really. I just replaced my motherboard and processor with different ones last december, and used my 5-year-old W7 key with no issue.

Actually what the poster you quoted said is true. However, what is also the case is that a Windows key's activation has a sort of cool down/reset period. I've experienced this myself when moving a key between computers or replacing motherboards. If there's a sufficient gap of time between usages, the key will work without needing to contact MS. I you try to re-use it too close together, it'll fail activation.

M3d10n

Since the universal native apps (mail, edge, people, calculator, etc) can be updated through the store it's not like they'll be frozen after the RTM ships.

Still, isn't it concerning that the only way Edge is receiving updates is through newer builds? I hope that isn't setting a bad precedent for how it will actually get updated.
Specifically for phone because it sucks that the most common way to use a browser updated this year is through carrier-approved system updates.

Still, isn't it concerning that the only way Edge is receiving updates is through newer builds? I hope that isn't setting a bad precedent for how it will actually get updated.
Specifically for phone because it sucks that the most common way to use a browser updated this year is through carrier-approved system updates.
I remember reading something somewhere during Build that it'll be updated just like the rest of the available apps - through the Windows Store.

I was stuck on Build 10162 on my SP3 had an issue where a system firmware update wouldnt install. So I installed the 10166 iso and it worked with no issues. Funny thing is after 10166 finished installing, I got the notification for that firmware update again and it actually installed. I was shocked.

Anywho, anyone on Build 10166 still getting an error message with trying to connect their Office 365 account with Cortana? This hasn't been working for me in this build or 10162.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wreav, as a casual reader of this thread, a participant in it and beta testing since the beginning, I should say that you have little to be worried about in how 10 is shaping up in the closing weeks to launch. W10 is getting better and better with each release and this will be the second coming of computing for Microsoft. It literally is that good.

I participated in the Win7 beta and I never saw as many bugs as Win7 beta users are seeing. I think the number of problems in an OS that's going to be released in 18 days is pretty worrying.

Blitzhex

Dota 2 keeps crashing to desktop constantly in the latest fast ring build. Anyone having the same problem in games or something?

Edit: seems to have fixed itself.

Lingitiz

Anytime I try to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to the 10 preview my shit just totally implodes. While installing it would constantly crash on login to my MS account. The only fix was to do a clean 8.1 install.

Hoping I don't have these issues on the 29th for the official version.

So this is kind of an annoyance for me. With Silverlight not being supported in Edge, means Amazon Prime video won't play at the best resolution, which sucks. I wish Amazon would move to HTML 5 video or make a Prime Video app. I actually would prefer the app.

So this is kind of an annoyance for me. With Silverlight not being supported in Edge, means Amazon Prime video won't play at the best resolution, which sucks. I wish Amazon would move to HTML 5 video or make a Prime Video app. I actually would prefer the app.

I'm afraid to use Edge due to no adblocker plugins

It might be best to let them sort out issues and missing features in Edge for a short while and continue to use IE11 or some other browser.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Host process for windows services stopped working and needs to be closed.

Every 5-10 minutes, ever since the latest update. I've been pretty disappointed with W10, but now I'm completely unable to play anything on my PC. This message pops up no matter what I'm doing.

Every 5-10 minutes, ever since the latest update. I've been pretty disappointed with W10, but now I'm completely unable to play anything on my PC. This message pops up no matter what I'm doing.

Dumb question, you've rebooted, right? Considered doing a reset, restore, or rollback yet?

Drifters

I participated in the Win7 beta and I never saw as many bugs as Win7 beta users are seeing. I think the number of problems in an OS that's going to be released in 18 days is pretty worrying.

Windows 7 was fixing Windows Shitsa, there isn't much wrong with Windows 8 other than a few design tweaks which is what the team is working on nailing down errant processes for those changes.

I'm not worried at all with what I'm reading on internal builds and what we're getting.

M3d10n

knipselu4rwa.png

Did you try checking the permissions of the folder where OneDrive downloads to? In one of the builds install I had some folders get corrupted permissions, which caused a host of issues. In my case it was the pictures and the documents folders. No amount of messing around with the permissions fixed it, I had to move those folders somewhere else.

Mat-triX

In Windows 7/8, you can choose for the taskbar to "Combine when taskbar is full/Never Combine" which would make the taskbar icons have labels and be rectangular shaped instead of square.

Does this option exist in Windows 10?

Top Bottom