• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah looking more and more like few will get it on the 29th...wpcentral's Daniel Rubino says its rtming today and will be sent to oems. The thought was that it was supposed to rtm last week so oem's might now be completely ready. But i'm running 10166 and its pretty much perfect so no complaints here.

Has there been any info on whether or not when you upgrade, your serial is replaced with a new one, invalidating the one you upgraded from?

Yeah looking more and more like few will get it on the 29th...wpcentral's Daniel Rubino says its rtming today and will be sent to oems. The thought was that it was supposed to rtm last week so oem's might now be completely ready. But i'm running 10166 and its pretty much perfect so no complaints here.

yeah. it's been MUCH smoother since they launched the insider program for it. like a new computer feel. that and i got the right amd driver installed lol

Drifters

I have the most awful luck with Windows OS upgrades. So I always choose to format a drive and install fresh instead. Am I able to do a fresh install of Windows 10 after I've claimed the upgrade from 8.1?

As stated before, yes, clean installs will be available.

Has there been any info on whether or not when you upgrade, your serial is replaced with a new one, invalidating the one you upgraded from?
From what I've read, your Win 7, 8, 8.1 is transferred to the Windows Store as a Windows 10 key meaning that your activated Win 7, 8, 8.1 key is no longer valid after you upgrade. Hope that helps.

Really annoying me now, clearing the pagefile on restart gets rid of it for a while, but eventually it comes back.

Are you using an SSD? I've known people with SSDs who go in and manually fiddle with the swap/page file settings and end up with this error. It could also be some incompatible 3rd party software. You could try uninstalling things in reverse order to see if the problem goes away at some point. A pain in the ass, certainly, but that's part of beta-testing OS software.

Teggy

I downloaded the preview last night and it's working pretty well. The only problem is I get a few "driver failed to load" messages on startup. Since everything is working, is there a way to tell which drivers are having a problem?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
just upgraded my surface pro 3 to windows 10. Microsoft Edge is the fastest browser I've ever used. Holy crap.

Klocker

Must. hold. on. Only two more weeks to release.

I'm an insider and have had a couple versions but am gonna hang until 29th. Sounding good so far though

hlhbk

I am signed up as a Windows Insider and am considering installing 10 tonight before the cut off happens. If I don't qualify for a free upgrade can I purchase 10 and get it through the insider program on launch day?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Heads up, folks. In the next 24 hours MS is going to cut off downloads of Win 10 and suspend new activations temporarily to prepare for the release.

See here: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwi...ncing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10166/ (Yes it's the same URL as a prior announcement, but they added the new info at the top).

just upgraded now. I am good

I am signed up as a Windows Insider and am considering installing 10 tonight before the cut off happens. If I don't qualify for a free upgrade can I purchase 10 and get it through the insider program on launch day?

Why wouldn't you qualify though?

hlhbk

just upgraded now. I am good

Why wouldn't you qualify though?

I qualify on my gaming desktop from a legacy O/S I am have (Windows 7 Ultimate), but am currently running windows 8.1 enterprise. I also have Windows 7 enterprise on a laptop so that's won't qualify either.

I have been debating on installing the preview build of Windows 10, because if I understand it right to be able to get a license after its out I will need to downgrade to Windows 7, install the Windows 10 preview through Windows update, which also reserves you for Windows 10 at release.

Am I correct on this? Also when the new builds of Windows 10 comes out is it like installing an O/S fresh where you have to reinstall all of your apps or does everything carry over? I have been doing computer work for 20 years just never signed up for one of the Windows beta programs before.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone wanna come to my launch party?

TJtUR5t.png

Guys?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Something I can't deal with until after the 20th as I dont have the time, but basically I'm upgrading my PC big time and girlfriend will inherit this base rig. We all have Windows 7 Professional on Upgrade Version student licenses (OEM or whatever?)

I'm gonna be upgrading motherboard, CPU, fan, and probably ram, and jamming my current HDD and disc drive into that all in a new case.

Girlfriend will be jamming her HDD and disc drives into my old computer and case, so were both making lateral upgrades.

During this process, will we be able to upgrade to Windows 10 and have that all be hunky dory anyone know? Or is it gonna be a complex case of getting around the Genuine Windows "youve changed too much shit!!" alerts.

pixelation

Anyone know if you download Windows 10 on a computer that has Windows 8.1 and already has Office, do you get to keep it or does it wipe the computer clean after the install?, total noob here sorry...

Anyone know if you download Windows 10 on a computer that has Windows 8.1 and already has Office, do you get to keep it or does it wipe the computer clean after the install?, total noob here sorry...
Everything that was installed on your computer will be carried over. You won't be able to go back to Windows 8.1 however.

dLMN8R

Yes you will be able to go back to wherever you came from if you don't like Windows 10 or things don't work.

In Settings there's something like this:

ximg_558c7fb7a1654.png.pagespeed.ic.JcWX-KSRGj.png

It of course says 7 or 8.1 depending on where you came from.

epmode

I signed up for the Insider program to reserve a copy of Windows 10 on the 29th. Figured I might as well install the preview build so I downloaded the windows10insiderpreview.exe thing. It opens Windows Update but I just get a "No updates are available" message. Should I just install from the ISO or is this a common thing?

Yes you will be able to go back to wherever you came from if you don't like Windows 10 or things don't work.

In Settings there's something like this:

ximg_558c7fb7a1654.png.pagespeed.ic.JcWX-KSRGj.png

It of course says 7 or 8.1 depending on where you came from.
Didn't know that! I've been giving wrong information to people. Time to go sit in my shame corner.

jond76

Banned
It's weird to me that I'm excited for an OS release.

I think the implications of the united OS between everything had me hyped. My laptop, Xbox One, and Windows phone are ready.

hlhbk

I signed up for the Insider program to reserve a copy of Windows 10 on the 29th. Figured I might as well install the preview build so I downloaded the windows10insiderpreview.exe thing. It opens Windows Update but I just get a "No updates are available" message. Should I just install from the ISO or is this a common thing?

Shit. I hope it's not down already. Anyone else getting this?

niunhuiio

I reserved my Windows 10 the night the Windows 10 upgrade icon popped up for the first time, so I really hope the downloads for me and others who reserved that night work on July 29.

hlhbk

I reserved my Windows 10 the night the Windows 10 upgrade icon popped up for the first time, so I really hope the downloads for me and others who reserved that night work on July 29.

Unless you are in the Windows insider program it sounds unlikely.

niunhuiio

Unless you are in the Windows insider program it sounds unlikely.

I see, I've had bad luck with Insider Builds in the past so I guess I'll just stick to 8.1 for now. And if I'm desperate I'll probably bring my desktop to a Microsoft Store and see what they say about it haha.

hlhbk

PSA to anyone using dolby digital live and an optic audio connection: Don't update to Windows 10 yet. Dolby digital live is not supported by Windows 10 at all at this point. How to downgrade back to 7.

Top Bottom