• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Giolon

I signed up for the Insider program to reserve a copy of Windows 10 on the 29th. Figured I might as well install the preview build so I downloaded the windows10insiderpreview.exe thing. It opens Windows Update but I just get a "No updates are available" message. Should I just install from the ISO or is this a common thing?

I started having this problem last week and thought my system was messed up. I used the ISO for 10162 to install directly, but then my laptop won't see build 10166 on the fast ring. Sent some telemetry data to MS on request. Now to wait.

Can you use the iso to upgrade in place operating systems?

Yes,you can at least from 8.1.

MCD

In the photos app, how can I sort my albums by folders or anything other than date? My pictures are scattered all over the place because someone decided that sort by date only is soooo cool.

MCD

You can't
. YAY!

Shit.

Might as well ask since you are active here Giolon (RIP figure GAF). I am having fun lately turning figure photos into wallpapers.

For example, Selvaria looks nice as a wallpaper with the colored background here:

http://windcase.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-177.html?sp

Since your photos are always lovely and high quality, any chance for a similar focus (colorful, easy to make wallpapers instead of nature backgrounds).

Sorry for going total off topic lol.

Random17

I got an email asking about Office 2016; but it says I need to reinstall my original Office with its product key. Since I got given Office as a package from my school, does anyone know how I can find the product key?

Or otherwise what are your impressions of Office 2016?

VariantX

My Dell laptop hasn't still received the Win10 reserve thing :(

Your windows up to date? I had an issue with Windows 7 where the updater broke and I had to delete one of the updates manually to get it to update properly after which the windows 10 update icon finally appeared for me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Anyone else getting this error when its clear you shouldn't be getting this error?, I've had this is a few builds now.

Really annoying me now, clearing the pagefile on restart gets rid of it for a while, but eventually it comes back.
Oh goddamnit have they still not fixed that shit in 10?

2T905Qy.jpg

Some games do it, other assorted shit might do it, but my computer is really using a tiny fraction of it's CPU and memory every time it happens so I don't know what the fuck Windows is ever looking at, and it DOES NOT remember that I tell it to never show it again. It's so annoying.

DarkFlow

Banned
Oh goddamnit have they still not fixed that shit in 10?

2T905Qy.jpg

Some games do it, other assorted shit might do it, but my computer is really using a tiny fraction of it's CPU and memory every time it happens so I don't know what the fuck Windows is ever looking at, and it DOES NOT remember that I tell it to never show it again. It's so annoying.

I've never had this happen.

Giolon

Shit.

Might as well ask since you are active here Giolon (RIP figure GAF). I am having fun lately turning figure photos into wallpapers.

For example, Selvaria looks nice as a wallpaper with the colored background here:

http://windcase.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-177.html?sp

Since your photos are always lovely and high quality, any chance for a similar focus (colorful, easy to make wallpapers instead of nature backgrounds).

Sorry for going total off topic lol.

Yeah, the Photos app is very awesome in concept (heavy rip-off on Apple Photostreams here), but lacking in execution. We need the ability to have different sorts, view by folder, add/remote pictures easily, upload to web, share, etc. Some of this functionality is available via the OneDrive website, but I'm not sure exactly how much is present in Windows 10. Hopefully, since MS can now update their bundled apps separately through the store, they will continue to iterate and improve upon them. It's a missed chance to release something really awesome in that app though for sure.

As for your other questions (and kind words, thanks!) I'll drop you a PM so we don't take this thread off track.

MCD

Yeah, the Photos app is very awesome in concept (heavy rip-off on Apple Photostreams here), but lacking in execution. We need the ability to have different sorts, view by folder, add/remote pictures easily, upload to web, share, etc. Some of this functionality is available via the OneDrive website, but I'm not sure exactly how much is present in Windows 10. Hopefully, since MS can now update their bundled apps separately through the store, they will continue to iterate and improve upon them. It's a missed chance to release something really awesome in that app though for sure.

As for your other questions (and kind words, thanks!) I'll drop you a PM so we don't take this thread off track.

I sure hope they do actually give a fuck about their apps and not abandon them like Windows 8.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So I have build 10162, and it says no more update available now. I guess they turned it off?

Either ways, first time playing with Windows 10. This is great.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I have build 10162, and it says no more update available now. I guess they turned it off?

Either ways, first time playing with Windows 10. This is great.
Yeah, ISOs won't work now either because they killed the activation codes. The next build you get will be RTM.

epmode

Is this like Windows 8 where I just have to type in some long code or call in to get it to work on the new motherboard or is it gonna be impossible?

I feel like they're going to be tough on this point. Windows 10 is supoosedly the last big Windows release. Everything from here on will be provided through Windows Update. So if you can just transfer your key to a new computer, you'd never have to buy Windows again.

DarkFlow

Banned
I feel like they're going to be tough on this point. Windows 10 is supoosedly the last big Windows release. Everything from here on will be provided through Windows Update. So if you can just transfer your key to a new computer, you'd never have to buy Windows again.
Yeah right, there will be a windows whatever in 3 years.

The current windows 10 build is rather stable compared to a few weeks back but I did have one completely random pc reboot this morning, might have been a crash but all I was doing was watching a twitch stream.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Was still able to update to build 10162 via Windows update from 8.1 and activate as of 1 hour ago.

I guess it's still available for Europe.

epmode

Yeah right, there will be a windows whatever in 3 years.

I dunno, it looks like they really want to move to a model like Office 365 where they can assume that everyone running Windows has the latest version. This is a big plus from MS' perspective. For example, supporting Office 365 is a lot easier than providing updates for Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016 simultaneously.

Drifters

I dunno, it looks like they really want to move to a model like Office 365 where they can assume that everyone running Windows has the latest version. This is a big plus from MS' perspective. For example, supporting Office 365 is a lot easier than providing updates for Office 2007, 2010, 2013 and 2016 simultaneously.

Microsoft's end game is to support one core OS, period. They do not want to have legacy systems in which do not scale. Windows 10 is a platform to that but isn't "it's final form" if you will. Their next OS post-Windows will be that full platform.

Vanguard

Really not liking the mail app in win10, much prefer live essentials 2012 as I can see all my accounts, what's unread and where and have all the unread stuff under one access point. Guess I'll be sticking to that, liking everything else though so far.

Really not liking the mail app in win10, much prefer live essentials 2012 as I can see all my accounts, what's unread and where and have all the read stuff under one access point. Guess I'll be sticking to that, liking everything else though so far.

I really don't get why they don't just leave the other account displayed in the left panel so you can easily switch between inboxes.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS MY "FLAGGED" FOLDER/FILTER?

dLMN8R

I don't know what specific features / fixes are coming for apps like Mail, but I do know that they have a big update planned for them right around Windows 10's launch, so don't lose all hope yet.

I really don't get why they don't just leave the other account displayed in the left panel so you can easily switch between inboxes.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS MY "FLAGGED" FOLDER/FILTER?
It's in a drop down at the top of the inbox. You can choose "All", "Unread", or "Flagged".

Drifters

I don't know what specific features / fixes are coming for apps like Mail, but I do know that they have a big update planned for them right around Windows 10's launch, so don't lose all hope yet.

They, Microsoft (i.e. YOU!) need to get on the ball about removing the GD accounts from the Mail app without having to untie it those from your login. To this day I cannot figure out why you have to have your login account e-mail tied to the mail app. Seems obtuse.

Branson

So if I upgrade(sorry it's been a while) to 10, am I going to have to reinstall steam and stuff? My OS is on another SSD but that's where the saves are for the steam games while the games are on a separate hard drive. Should I back up my saves?

Giolon

So if I upgrade(sorry it's been a while) to 10, am I going to have to reinstall steam and stuff? My OS is on another SSD but that's where the saves are for the steam games while the games are on a separate hard drive. Should I back up my saves?

If you are using Windows 7 or newer, you can upgrade in place and you won't have to re-install your programs. I've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and Steam as totally unaware of it.

Khrno

Hi, I have a question about the Windows 10 installation. I'm going to buy a 500 GB SSD to have windows and my most used games and programs on it, while everything else will remain on my existing 2TB HDD.

My question is, at the moment of the upgrade to Win10 (from Windows 7), can I select the SSD to have Win10 to be installed there instead of my current C: HDD? If so, what will happen with my current HDD, will it get renamed to something like D:?

And what about the Windows 7 files, will they be deleted automatically? Also I don't want to format it, even though probably many programs will need reinstalling, I have about 1TB of Steam games downloaded and I don't want to redownload them.

Thanks for the help.

They are certainly going to match outlook.com feature wise, right?

It's in a drop down at the top of the inbox. You can choose "All", "Unread", or "Flagged".

Can you please take a pic of it? I'm looking for over 10 minutes and can't find this drop down XD

Edit: It's there on my phone, but not on my desktop...

Edit 2: There's an stuck update for the mail app... Will try to force install it

Hi, I have a question about the Windows 10 installation. I'm going to buy a 500 GB SSD to have windows and my most used games and programs on it, while everything else will remain on my existing 2TB HDD.

My question is, at the moment of the upgrade to Win10 (from Windows 7), can I select the SSD to have Win10 to be installed there instead of my current C: HDD? If so, what will happen with my current HDD, will it get renamed to something like D:?

And what about the Windows 7 files, will they be deleted automatically? Also I don't want to format it, even though probably many programs will need reinstalling, I have about 1TB of Steam games downloaded and I don't want to redownload them.

Thanks for the help.

I am in the same boat as you. I already have 8.1 on an HDD and have it set to upgrade to 10.

I decided to go ahead and install the 10 Preview on my SSD. What it does is basically relabel the old HDD to d: and your SSD is the new c:. When I switch back to my 8.1 install on the HDD it's reversed so that the HDD is c: and the SSD is d:. Pretty basic.

I'm not too sure how installing the final version will work. I would rather not do another install at this point at all. I just want to be able to make my SSD install Genuine using my upgraded 8.1 somehow. That may require a call to Microsoft.

Ashhong

Whenever I needed to activate my copy again (transfer, new hardware, etc.) and it didn't go through the internet, I just called them up and activated it via phone. I've been doing this since Windows XP and never had a problem or got refused. It's not really an issue.

Well, in the past I have reused my Windows 7 key like 3 times with different computers and never had to activate via phone, but if that's all I have to do then that's fine.

However, no matter what, when your 7 gets upgraded into 10, the original 7 key is just no more right? Can't call in and activate using it, nothing?

Also I have always, always done a clean install when upgrading OSes. Has the upgrade process changed now so that I can do an upgrade and there are no issues? No leftover files, bugs, errors, etc?

Khrno

I decided to go ahead and install the 10 Preview on my SSD. What it does is basically relabel the old HDD to d: and your SSD is the new c:.

Thanks, I see.

So what happens with the Win 7 files after installing Win 10 on the new SSD, are they removed automatically by selecting some option on the setup, or will I have to remove them manually later?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Thanks, I see.

So what happens with the Win 7 files after installing Win 10 on the new SSD, are they removed automatically by selecting some option on the setup, or will I have to remove them manually later?
I haven't specifically looked, but if it's anything like 7->8 upgrades it takes the windows 7 folder windows folder and renames it to windows.old.

Thanks, I see.

Manually, but you have to use a cleanup program built into WIndows 10 to do it. You can't just delete it like a regular folder.

Top Bottom