• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

:\

So what happens to the registry for legacy applications?

Yes part of the registry is virtualized since Vista, but what about doing away with it?

Raistlin

HTML5, JavaScript and CSS aren’t the only way to develop Windows 8 apps. Developers can still use Visual Basic, C, C#, C++, .Net, Silverlight and XAML to write both “modern” (or what is now officially known as “Metro-style” apps) and line-of-business “Desktop” apps. The emphasis at Build — and going forward at Microsoft, in my view — is on Metro-style apps, however, preferably written in HTML5 and JavaScript.
I hope that's just your view ... not MS's.

JaggedSac

MThanded said:
What happened to windows 8 running on ARM? Now they are saying you need a minimum of an Atom and 1 GB. If it doesn't run on ARM I can't see them competing.

Someone correct me if they mentioned ARM.

They showed Windows 8 running on ARM hardware during the conference.

Burger

Greyface said:
Yeah, wait what, folks are reviewing beta units for developers now?

It's an x86 tablet, why wouldn't you expect to see heat pouring out of it...

Curious about battery life.

Vestal

MThanded said:
What happened to windows 8 running on ARM? Now they are saying you need a minimum of an Atom and 1 GB. If it doesn't run on ARM I can't see them competing.

Someone correct me if they mentioned ARM.

The tablet was running on ARM they said it.

Vestal

claviertekky said:
:\

So what happens to the registry for legacy applications?

Yes part of the registry is virtualized since Vista, but what about doing away with it?

They wont be able to.. Microsofts #1 customer is Corporations, and they are the slowest to rework their internal apps.

Burger

infinityBCRT said:
MS is really sticking it to the Apple Store right now.

Yeah, it looks amazing:

Win8screens5.jpg

wwm0nkey

dude said:
I want the next Xbox to run this shit.

Unite PC and Console gaming.
Thats actually part of the plan, they want to unify Xbox, Windows and WP7.

They are starting that by having all platforms use the Metro UI and Windows 8 does include Xbox Live.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Totakeke said:
Hmm, I can't watch the live stream so can anyone tell me what happens when they click on a drop down box? Is it Windows Phone like whereby the choices kind of fill the whole screen or is it just normal Windows style drop down?

in the demo they've shown it's just a normal drop down.

It might change if the screen size is smaller. I don't know.

Chris R

Oh god, I want to format the shit out of that code. Fucking hate idiots who use tabs to line up variables like that.

Vestal

You know.. isn't it funny that this looks alot like what Microsoft tried to do back in the 90s integrating IE into the OS?!?!

Food for thought

Man... Microsoft just has awesome dev tools. I think I'm going to start learning some code and fuck around with the dev tools. It actually looks like a fun learning project.

elty

I wonder what type of hardware is required for ARM based tablet. Probably the quad core variant with 2GB RAM at least.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Also, thanks for clearing up my confusion about ARM. Microsoft is way too in bed with intel to play up the arm angle just yet I guess.

I am really interested in what the ARM requirements will be.

the only thing i can say is that android is going to support intel, is going to put pressure on microsoft.

How does Microsoft address x86 to arm? compile two apps?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
elty said:
I wonder what type of hardware is required for ARM based tablet. Probably the quad core variant with 2GB RAM at least.

It runs on a 3yr old first-gen Atom

I can't imagine it needs a quad-core ARM

Raistlin

enzo_gt said:
9:28
MJF: The concept of sharing via "Contracts" is something we don't know a lot about yet... more to come this week. It's about how two apps can communicate without knowing about each other

Interesting.
I imagine it will have similarities to how Metro handles things?

Either way, it will be an awesome, awesome thing for the dev community and consumers. Extensible SW will make soooooooooo many things better.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Technosteve said:
the only thing i can say is that android is going to support intel, is going to put pressure on microsoft.

How does Microsoft address x86 to arm? compile two apps?
Most likely cross compile. Will lead to bigger app downloads.

alphaNoid

Banned
brotkasten said:
So sorry for the shitty quality, but you can still recognize the Xbox Live tile on the Windows 8 start screen.

bwx46a0tjunq40r20.jpg
I'm all for Xbox Live on Windows 8, so long as MS totally scraps GFWL interface and starts over 100% with Windows 8.

LCfiner

I was just reading the pair of hands-on impression at This is my next.

consider me a little surprised that they're sticking to so much Metro UI everywhere. I guess I shouldn't be since they had already said that the start screen was the new start menu but it never fails to be a bit of a shock when i read it.

In one sense, I have to give props to MS for having the stones to completely ditch the familiar start menu.

But I still maintain my skepticism that x86 tablets will have the performance or weight/ battery life that people expect from the form factor. And since ARM tablets aren't going to run all old windows apps, I, again, wonder why MS feels the need to cram both interfaces into one OS. what is the benefit?

But it's definitely an interesting OS with some very neat new ideas. And while I, as a someone who is computer literate and curious about UI, is OK with distinct gestures for each side of the bezel, I think that kind of stuff will cause major confusion for most users. they need to remember that left bezel invokes one thing and right bezel invokes another and that top and bottom also do something different. seems a bit much.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That boot time is ridiculous :O

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ColtraineGF said:
Cross compile it is. Write in <language>, compile to x86/ARM with no extra effort.

I'm only reading the This is My Next Blog. Did they say that?

TIMN said

1:05 pm "If you go and build your Metro style app in JavaScript, C#, XAML... it will just run on ARM."

The ... had me wondering if it was only cross compile for specific languages or anything you want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom