• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this stuff is seriously impressive.

When they put the dev build up later, will you be able to install from a usb stick? (I have an extra laptop that I'm not currently using at all, but the DVD drive no longer works)

bananas

Banned
Brettison said:
I'm only reading the This is My Next Blog. Did they say that?

TIMN said

1:05 pm "If you go and build your Metro style app in JavaScript, C#, XAML... it will just run on ARM."

The ... had me wondering if it was only cross compile for specific languages or anything you want to use.

It sounds like the OS takes care of that. The WinRT base takes care of that (or something, I'm not a developer so I'm just guessing based on what was shown).

wwm0nkey

alphaNoid said:
I'm all for Xbox Live on Windows 8, so long as MS totally scraps GFWL interface and starts over 100% with Windows 8.
Wonder how big of a megaton it would be if they announced those Rumors of 360 games on Windows 8 was true lol

Totakeke

Greyface said:
We still get to see the Mango phones today, right?

Doubt they're going to focus much or if at all on the WP hardware. Someone on the liveblog said they do have sessions for WP devs to show them how to convert WP apps to W8.

iavi

wwm0nkey said:
Wonder how big of a megaton it would be if they announced those Rumors of 360 games on Windows 8 was true lol

It'd be a monster-ton. A whole new kind of ton.

E: Please let that be true.

celebi23

D4Danger said:
It will be available online later today
wooo.gif

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
wwm0nkey said:

I'm so over paying for Gold though it's not even funny.

Brettison said:
The ... had me wondering if it was only cross compile for specific languages or anything you want to use.
Well... it seems that in the context of what they've been saying before, given that graphic from earlier, the applications/languages that make use of the new APIs that MS provides for building apps for Win 8 can be compiled to ARM/x86 with little effort. That would be my immediate guess, if they didn't mean every language.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Cyclone said:
How do you get the dev build, and how functional is it?

It should be available later

as for functionality, I wouldn't use it in place of Windows 7. Install it on a virtual machine or something.

Miri said:
It'd be a monster-ton. A whole new kind of ton.

E: Please let that be true.
Nah, won't be true. If you have a Windows Phone, you know how much it has to do with the actual Xbox Live system. :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
LCfiner said:
But I still maintain my skepticism that x86 tablets will have the performance or weight/ battery life that people expect from the form factor. And since ARM tablets aren't going to run all old windows apps, I, again, wonder why MS feels the need to cram both interfaces into one OS. what is the benefit?
i actually have that fear for ARM chips. i reckon the performance of the i5 core chip in that tablet is leagues ahead of Atom spec-wise, and paired with SSD would make for a snappy system.

i'm not sure if ARM can scale up to offer a comparable performance within the next year, and even if it does it might be forced to scale to a much higher TDP that would render its traditional benefits over x86 moot.

elty

D4Danger said:

as for functionality, I wouldn't use it in place of Windows 7. Install it on a virtual machine or something.

Definitely want to try it on VM. Hopefully someone will make it work on Touchpad too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ColtraineGF said:
Hmm, it seems everything is hardware accelerated, cool.

WP7 is like this, and one of the main reasons the OS feels so smooth to people. It's also how they get away with not needing crazy specs yet to run the OS.

Raistlin

DavieC726 said:
I hope laptops have the scrolling capabilities that tablets will have so we can keep it as the Metro UI
Laptops are eventually going away for the most. They will be replaced by hybrid devices.

Regardless, yes expect touch on most things long-term ... even desktop monitors.

Sean

Banned
I think it's a really stupid idea to list apps in the store that force you off to an external webpage to actually buy it. That's a horrible end-user experience and developers shouldn't get a "free listing" like that.

If developers want the exposure of being listed in the Windows app store and seen by hundreds of millions of people, they should update their apps to be compatible.

artist

Banned
Did anyone manage to get the screencap of the touch latency numbers on that screen, guy was quick to hide it away .. :D

Tuck

The metro sections look great. but the fact that you are bumped back to the desktop when you use a mouse seems weird. Like they only did half their job. This is my next commented on this as well. It should be better integrated - all metro.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
D4Danger said:

What about a netbook that I rarely use?

Do I need to actually have some sort of dev account?

alphaNoid

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Well they could virtualize the emulation, doesn't win8 allow for up to 4 VM hypervisors to run on top of the base OS? If so, then I dont see why MS could not emulate a 360 on a hypervisor.

Tuck said:
The metro sections look great. but the fact that you are bumped back to the desktop when you use a mouse seems weird. Like they only did half their job. This is my next commented on this as well. It should be better integrated - all metro.
That's not what happens, when you use the mouse. You can use the touch interface with the mouse. The new interface just replaces the start menu.

Tuck

brotkasten said:
That's not what happens, when you use the mouse. You can use the touch interface with the mouse. The new interface just replaces the start menu.

Yeah I know that. Bad wording on my part. I'm taking issue with the fact that the desktop is still present in basically the same form as Windows 7. Granted, there is still room for change, but it is weird that they have these two drastically different, poorly integrated methods of control.

EDIT: Changed the wording to be a bit clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom