• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
bedlamite said:
This would make a killer tablet OS, but as a desktop OS to be used with a mouse? No. Doesn't 8 have a more traditional alternate UI?
Yes, the old desktop is still there, as you can see. Taskbar, explorer etc, everything is still there.

dem

bedlamite said:
This would make a killer tablet OS, but as a desktop OS to be used with a mouse? No. Doesn't 8 have a more traditional alternate UI?

Yes
You can switch to a traditional windows ui

HammerOfThor said:
So will Windows 8 have the option to have a normal desktop similar to Win 7? I wanna know how this looks on a desktop. Unless it only touch/tablet/mobile

Jeah it will have an optional oldschool desktop style for companies and home desktop pcs

dude

dude
On the subject, I hope they "Metrofy" Aero a little, it's kind of jarring to have such two different UIs...

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This shit is brilliant.

JaggedSac

Contracts sound so fucking amazing. Wonder if there are just a set of contracts that MS built into Windows, such as the Share and File dialog contract, or if other devs can create some.

Totakeke

Greyface said:
Where is the pen, Microsoft? I'm not going to use OneNote with touch, keyboard or mouse.

Doesn't seem like there is pen support across the new UI. If there is, I'd run out and buy a tablet to run the preview right now.

Edit: Pen support as in a interface method more suited to a pen and not just pen as a touch point replacement. Also writing recognition and stuff.

JaggedSac

Totakeke said:
Doesn't seem like there is pen support across the new UI. If there is, I'd run out and buy a tablet to run the preview right now.

Just showed them using one. Plus the input is abstracted out so devs don't have to know what kind of touch they people are using.

dream

Granted, I'm not a developer and I know this is a developer conference but is there anything more boring than watching a man code?

Vestal

HammerOfThor said:
Fuck I'm loving this!!

GIVE ME .NET TO START DEV'N ON IT!!!!

All over our faces.. I am very impressed.

On a side note, I really how they will allow to control the Computer screen through the Windows 8 tablet.. Actually control XBOX, and the PC with both the tablet and the windows phone.. THAT WOULD BE INSANE..

Totakeke said:
Mouse and keyboard is supported across the new UI, don't see why the pen wouldn't be. I'll let you know when I have it installed on the Lenovo.

artist

Banned
bananas said:
Why do you care? Do you want his number or something?
He's making it too obvious .. we dont want to know his orientation, we want to know about Windows 8. Unless you're interested ..

Vestal

OK looking at the Marketplace interface, I am inclined to fap.. THAT IS HUGE for us small developers.

Emily Chu

Banned
irfan said:
He's making it too obvious .. we dont want to know his orientation, we want to know about Windows 8. Unless you're interested ..

GcmEa.gif

bathala

Banned
irfan said:
i think ur the only one noticing this. look if u like the guy u can do it on another thread.

we're here for Windows 8

Totakeke

Hmm, I can't watch the live stream so can anyone tell me what happens when they click on a drop down box? Is it Windows Phone like whereby the choices kind of fill the whole screen or is it just normal Windows style drop down?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What happened to windows 8 running on ARM? Now they are saying you need a minimum of an Atom and 1 GB. If it doesn't run on ARM I can't see them competing.

Someone correct me if they mentioned ARM.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Does the app work on both x86 and Arm? I haz to knows!

Do smaller apps just work, and larger more complicated things need different versions?

I mean lets think about web browsing. We all use things like Opera, Firefox, and Chrome on x86, but we don't use the same browser on arm based phones/tablets. Sure they all have "mobile" versions or whatever you'd want to call them, but they aren't the same.

Would this mean I'd get Google Chrome on both my traditional Windows Desktop and Chrome on my tablet? Cause that would be huge. Fuck Google doesn't even do that now with their own tablet OS. It's a slightly different browser on Android.

MS is really sticking it to the Apple Store right now.

MThanded said:
What happened to windows 8 running on ARM? Now they are saying you need a minimum of an Atom and 1 GB. If it doesn't run on ARM I can't see them competing.

It will run on arm. I believe they are specifically talking about the intel based version only here.

dude said:
I want the next Xbox to run this shit.

Unite PC and Console gaming.
Windows 8 already has an Xbox Live tile.

MThanded said:

They briefly showed a slate with ARM SoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom