• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Kard8p3

Also another thing since this is a place where we can have friendly discussion, the *concept* of the Nemesis system is admirable and very unique in games, but when I sit down to think about it...the process of dying repeatedly to be able to experience that Nemesis growth isn't...fun to me.

Inherently, I feel like my death in a game should arise solely from a mistake I made, some foolhardy choice I made and reaped the consequences of it, and that is what actually makes dying satisfying and fun for me. Small examples like getting too excited in hardcore mode in Gears or making a foolish grenade toss in Halo (legendary) or a bad choice in a Souls game...I shouldn't want to die in a game, I want to progress in a difficult game and kick ass while I'm doing it so I feel like I'm achieving something. You could say well, "the reason you're doing in SOM is because of mistakes you're making", etc, true enough, but then if I try my hardest not to die, I never get to experience the Nemesis system.

I don't know, I'm just not sure I like that structure personally. Anyone else feel this way?

To be fair though orcs also grow when you advance time

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shit has gotten real with Azgrom the Unclean, this archer bastard that keeps getting me with poison arrows, and I can't vault over him, shoot him with arrows, or stealth kill. I haven't found the game hard at all but these are actually messing with me a lot.

The nemesis system is seriously neat.

SRTtoZ

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Didn't expect to get so invested in the storyline within the first hour. That intro part really got me hooked.

Talion looks fine to me. Very Middle Earth-ish, if that makes sense.

He has a face that I will instantly forget about after beating the game.

The opening will surely go overlooked. My 660 Ti is running it just fine except I noticed some screen tearing during the first playable sequence. Go figure.

It's quite interesting. It starts off generic, but it opens up. I'm my own mixed combos. The beheadings, power shots, wraith, etc

Yeah this game has the weirdest progression but man the presentation and story is top notch, if it's true that the guy that wrote RDR wrote this, it shows in the dialogue and overall presentation because it's really fantastic.

Also the sheer fact that for once, a game developer was completely honest and didn't over hype their game or any single aspect of the game; The nemesis system really is revolutionary, and a game unto itself.

Combat is awesome, it feels like a much more refined Batman type system and the parkour is even better than AC's because it's not nearly as touchy and glitch ridden.

The game looks incredible on PC, the lighting especially and the music and sound design in top notch.

LOVE THIS GAME.

hlhbk

Considering getting this on PC. My specs are:

Intel Core I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 670
8 GM RAM
SSD
Win 7

What kind of performance can I expect from that?

Rurunaki

Finally killed a Raid Leader >_< He was pretty much immune to all attacks except for Arrows. Worst thing is he freaking appears with like 3 dozen Orcs when I'm fighting another Orc leader. Anyway, combat could've been better. I hate the fact that some orcs are just standing there waiting for me to chop off their head. Also, I have to agree with shinobi on the nemesis system. It seems a bit counterproductive to keep dying to the same orc to see him rise up in ranks. Although it's not bad, hopefully they'll expand on it more on future games -- make it feel more dynamic (like Nemesis actually learning from the fights you have with them forcing you to change your gameplay in the process)

FatalT

Banned
I want to add more of you PS4 players to my friends so we can do vendettas for each other and stuff. Post your PSN IDs!

FatalT1

Carlius

Banned

Intel Core I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 670
8 GM RAM
SSD
Win 7

my bro has the same specs except he has a 3570 which helps, but with a 670 he can run ultra with motion blur off and shadows on high, everything else maxed out. looks and plays very good, never dips below 30

Hahaha, this game is great and I've barely played an hour. Right after getting out of the tutorial bit where you're given free reign, I stumble on a captain and try to stealth kill him. Botch that and next thing you know, I've got about 30 Uruks and 4 other captains chasing me across the map. Oops!

IvorB

*sigh*

I'm finding myself a little more apathetic with each battle...quickly getting surrounded by 2 dozen orcs, multiple captains, spear throwers in the background and archers to boot, dying over and over again. It's beginning to get a little tedious. Getting to the point where I'm almost not looking forward to the next battle. To make matters worse, I look at the minimap and see a near constant stream of orcs coming to join the battle, almost feels never-ending....

You guys said the game was easy, and I'm a vet of the Batman and AC series. I got my butt kicked by a gang of Orcs, and one of them ascended the ranks to a captain for killing me! On the brightside, I discovered a captain and killed him with his group by chance. It was pretty exhilarating. I'm loving this game so far, though I knew going into it that it would be right up my alley. The graphics are great, the combat is tight and visceral, and the nemesis system is downright impressive based on the few hours I've spent with it.

I like the sound of this.

Carlius

Banned
god damn, ive lost like 4 fights, won 1. getting my ass whooped, and these orcs are just gettings tronger. theyre getting promoted all over the place lol. fucking great game

Saiyan-Rox

Yep I've no clue what I'm supposed to be doing here...a restart might be in order. Randomly picked two uruk to fins and they just regained their health straight away and killed me but any guys I kill I'm just randomly finding

Almost everything people are complaining I either disagree with or just don't care.

And the combat being so hard? Dying over and over? I haven't died once. Git gud.

I have one of those creeper orcs who just makes heavy breathing and giggles chasing me around because he's a tracker. Seriously nerve wracking.

Ezio

Only game I've played in awhile that one minute I feel like a complete bad ass and then the next feel like a punk. I love this game

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Intel Core I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 670
8 GM RAM
SSD
Win 7

I need to upgrade a few things. I have an i7 3GHz with 6 GB of RAM, a 256 GB Samsung SSD (my games are on a 1TB HDD), Windows 8.1 Pro, and a 660 Ti. I had an impulse buy at Best Buy one night. I could of done so much better online. My laptop has more RAM because of CoD Ghosts, it has 8 GB.

I had one problem with loading screens from the 5 hours I've put into it. I had a couple black screens and one where it took forever to get out of the menu. Otherwise it runs smoothly. The screen tearing is such a pain. It only kicks in once I enter the game. If I'm moving the camera behind a killing cinematic it doesn't do it. If I'm panning the camera around from on top a cliff it's very noticeable.

You should be fine. If you have a lot of screen tearing, make sure to share.

I'm using default settings at the moment.

Gonna jump on-board with the face-hate. Looks hella boring and is the main reason I'm playing all hooded up in the dark ranger skin. It's especially noticeable since you're standing right next to the way more interesting-looking Celebrimbor most of the time.

PepperedHam

Have to agree with this, though I do like the voice acting and Talion's sense of fashion.

I don't disagree that his face is very normal looking but what is he supposed to look like? He's a guy in Middle-earth. He's just a dude. Is he supposed to wear sick sweet ass face tats?

Within 5 minutes of entering the open world portion of the game, I ran into a random Captain while on the way to the first quest. I incorrectly figured that, because I had just started and the game was obviously throwing this guy at me, he would be easy pickings. I was wrong.

I snuck up to his camp of 6 or 7 orcs, quickly stealth killed 2 of them and went for the Captain. He immediately grabbed me and threw me like a rag-doll, taunted me, and then proceeded to blow a war horn that brought in a wave of easily 30-40 orcs and 2 additional Captains. I barely managed to escape after slaying a good 10 or so orcs and running for my life.

Now one of the Captains I ran from is hunting me. This game is amazing.

Mrbob

Just got destroyed by 3 captains.

I guess the game does have its hard moments.

Haha, yeah this happened to me earlier too. Fighting one captain and ran into a second which made me try to evade some more and I came across a third captain. Between them and about 20 uruks I never had a chance. I blew up a bunch too firing an arrow to a bonfire and more came to overwhelm me. It was crazy.

Hitchey

Neo Member

Intel Core I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 670
8 GM RAM
SSD
Win 7

Thats pretty close to mine. I ran the auto config and it gives me no drops below 60. Everything high except for texture quality and ambient occulsion, which were medium. Still looks good though.

Slixshot

Banned
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Talkin looks like middle earth Troy baker, which means a chiseled face with long hair. Looks fineee

I wish we didn't have to constantly recharge the bow though. I was hoping to just blast fools with arrows whenever I wanted...

Being able to recharge by draining enemies is possible but taking 3-4 seconds to drain one and having another enemy instantly interrupt you right away doesn't help.

Mrbob

You guys need to make y'alls mind up, is the game easy or not? Jeeze

Game was easy until it wasn't. :p

I wish we didn't have to constantly recharge the bow though. I was hoping to just blast fools with arrows whenever I wanted...

Being able to recharge by draining enemies is possible but taking 3-4 seconds to drain one and having another enemy instantly interrupt you right away doesn't help.

This sounds like a good idea for a PC mod.

Kaversmed

Aren't there runes that will eventually make the bow more effective?

Slixshot

Banned

Knowing that you need to recharge makes me happy, to be honest. All of the videos I had seen made bow and arrows look OP.

tebunker

Banned
Any advantages to signing up for WBPlay? Anyone??

Also, I am running this system;

i7 4790 @ 3.6 ghz
16Gb RAM
R9 270X with 2GB ram

I am getting 30FPS min with everything turned on high, Avg 60, and high of 85, happy with that. It looks great. I know others won't be happy with that, but I am not buying a PS4 anytime soon and if I can run games like this for a while I will be happy.

Played the tutorial and wandered a bit, and I am ready to play a lot more..

Lord Phol

God damn this game! So guuuud!!

So I'm sneaking around a stronghold trying to get to a certain captain for the main quest. From the bushes I see another unidentified captain with two bodyguards patrolling the area. Thinking I can handle him easily I assassinate the two guards and lure him away towards my trap. He follows me, I turn around and shoot down a hive above him, apparently doing nothing (must have been one of his strengths). Turns out he's a hunter and his spears takes away more than half of my health per hit.

So we get into an awesome fight which with some skillful dodging is looking like my win, just for it to turn around on me when he'a almost dead. When at 25% or so health he enrages, gains some health and becomes scary as fuck. Not only that but my nemesis that has killed me twice before shows up from nowhere. I get scared shitless and try to run away. Apparently the Hunter captain hates that and enrages further gaining full health. I run around trying to find herbs to heal up while dodging these two captains best I can, and when things finally start turn around (found a herb and did some damage to my nemesis) two other captains show up with some orcs.
It turns into a heated battle but with some masterful fencing and luck I manage to kill three of them (including my nemesis). The victory is short lasted however when about 10+ orcs shows up, I decide that's too much for me and run away to hide in a tower.

Thinking the whole thing is over I begin once again on my quest to find this particular captain. Before I know it I stumble upon another random captain just like before. Turns out it's my Nemesis! He somehow survived the last battle and has gained even more power and a scar (half his glorious helmet is gone).

Shit just got real!

Levyne

Banned
God damn this game! So guuuud!!

So I'm sneaking around a stronghold trying to get to a certain captain for the main quest. From the bushes I see another unidentified captain with two bodyguards patrolling the area. Thinking I can handle him easily I assassinate the two guards and lure him away towards my trap. He follows me, I turn around and shoot down a hive above him, apparently doing nothing (must have been one of his strengths). Turns out he's a hunter and his spears takes away more than half of my health per hit.

So we get into an awesome fight which with some skillful dodging is looking like my win, just for it to turn around on me when he'a almost dead. When at 25% or so health he enrages, gains some health and becomes scary as fuck. Not only that but my nemesis that has killed me twice before shows up from nowhere. I get scared shitless and try to run away. Apparently the Hunter captain hates that and enrages further gaining full health. I run around trying to find herbs to heal up wihle dodging these two captains best I can, and when things finally start turn around (found a herb and did some damage to my nemesis) two other captains show up with some orcs.
It turns into a heated battle but with some masterful fencing I manage to kill three of them (including my nemesis). The victory is short lasted however when about 10+ orcs shows up, I decide that's too much for me and run away to hide in a tower.

Thinking the whole thing is over I begin once again on my quest to find this particular captain. Before I know it I stumble upon another random captain just like before. Turns out it's my Nemesis! He somehow survived the last battle and has gained even more power and a scar (half his glorious helmet is gone).

Shit just got real!

I want to go home and play this right now

Vodh

I'm unbelievably excited for this game, unfortunately I have to wait until Monday to grab it. I don't want to watch/read too many reviews but the few I've munched through don't really touch on one subject I'm very interested in:

How is the game in terms of replayability? I mean, I suppose with the Nemesis system it could be pretty good playing it from the start all over again, but in general I'm always more interested in NG+ or keeping on playing after finishing the campaign. So does SoM offer a new game +? How about playing after you're done? Do you generally just finish the story and then after you've got all the collectibles you're done? How does the Nemesis system work if you'd dominate all the relevant orcs? Do your 'underlings' fight and kill each other emptying up some space for new draft for Sauron? What about the warchiefs, do things shift around if you've ended up dominating all of them in a region?

I realize the game hasn't been out long enough for regular players to have experienced the answers to these questions firsthand, but maybe some reviews out there touch on that subject or maybe I've just missed some sort of an official statement about this sort of thing.

GavinUK86

This sounds like a good idea for a PC mod.

That's why I love PC gaming....... trainer.

And yes, my one complaint is the amount of orcs the game throws at you. It feels infinite. Batman AA's combat arenas worked because enemies were finite. This just... isn't fun. It feels spammy. I'll probably finish the main missions then never touch it again to be honest.

Nokterian

Been playing for a few hours now,did it this morning also just before work.

And 2 captains where promoted and 1 was promoted to captain. Also when i tried to kill one the other was also there again. Alarm was raised and a lot of orks and uruk came there but yet again i got killed and another uruk was promoted. I was getting frustrated when i finally saw one alone i took my moment to kill him when he confronted me "he will have some pleasure to kill me". It felt good when i finally killed those captain's. It made my blood boil haha. I love this game it has the amazing blend of Batman combat but different because decapitating orks/uruks are so mutch fun! Assassin's Creed movement works verty good. Yeah this brings me back why i loved Batman Arkham Asylum/City but bloodier.

lmbotiva

i ask this question for the last time before i open my ps4 copy, is there any screen tearing on the game? any? at all? reason i ask is because i literally get sick, motion sickness, weird but nothing i can do about it

Top Bottom