• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Fonds

I wouldn't want anyone to listen to just what I have to say on it at all. Read everyone else's impressions and form your thoughts around it :)

Other outlets and places like Giantbomb can say the exact opposite of my feelings but I don't think their opinions are somehow more valid than mine or anyone else's and automatically negate what I felt...everyone plays and enjoys different games, those were just my thoughts so far.

Didn't mean to negate your statement but shed a different light on the matter for people trying to make up their minds as well.
You're right though, various people will have varying thoughts.
My opinion is worth horseshit however, since I'm an EU bum and have to wait for my ps4 copy.

Picked up my copy from gamestop during my lunch and went home to install, redeem codes and try it out. After 25 minutes of play I'm pretty dned impressed. Already unlocked a hit streak bonus that enables me to easily execute weakened enemies during my attacks.

Looking forward to digging in to this tonight. After three weeks of Destiny, it's nice place something that feels rewarding after a mere 25 minutes.

Zareka

There is more here for Tolkien fans (at least ones without sticks up their butts), but there is nothing wrong with playing if you don't have any LotR knowledge. It's a fairly simple story from what I've experienced so far. As long as you know Sauron is the biggest of bads and Mordor is his home turf, you got everything you need to know really.
I'm not a LOTR fan at all. I played the game for an hour last night, and it seems like the game is a very self-contained story. The acting is good, and it tells you all you need to know so far.

They make allusions to Sauron, but I think all you need to know is that he's the super-bad villain. Right as I stopped playing I saw Golem appear in a cut-scene, but other than that I haven't felt like I'm missing out as a non-LOTR fan. I'm sure Tolkien fans are getting stuff out of it that I'm not, but I think if you approach it as a fantasy game on its own merits that's totally fine.
Sounds awesome, thanks you two. Will consider this for around Christmas time! Looks like the type of thing I could just get stuck in to over Christmas break. Open world games are perfect for that time.

What the fucking fuck! Each of my copies of Shadow of Mordor and Forza Horizon 2 were fucked and I ended up having to make three trips to Gamestop today because of it. First I had to return SOM because the disc was all scratched up from being loose and rattling around. After telling the Gamestop guy he shook the rest of the copies he had and they were all loose except for one. Then after getting back home and playing an hour of FH2 I realized it still wasn't installing and wouldn't let me play online. Finally my Xbox tells me the disc may be scratched or dirty and sure enough there was a perfect half-circle gash on the disc. Just got back from returning it. Fuck I spent more on gas today than I did the games themselves. Before you guys say "should've gone digital," the whole reason I had to buy physical was because of trade in credit I had. Though from now on I'm just gonna put that credit towards PSN/LIVE cards, fuck discs!

Are there any major spoilers in the Giant Bomb QL? Don't want to spoil myself too much but the wait until the EU release is excruciating.

The awesome impressions from you guys are making me wet.

#impatientbros

I'd like to know if there are spoilers in the QL as well, plan to watch it in an hour or so

I'm seeing a PS4 "Legion Edition" version on the PSN store but I can't find anywhere what that means it comes with. Any idea if it comes with that dark ranger skin?

Damaniel

Banned
By the way, what is the benefit of having a WBPlay account?

You get a rune (dagger, if I recall) for signing up. Strangely enough, I didn't have to go through any kind of sign up process; it sort of auto-logged me into my existing WBplay account. I assume this has something to do with the fact I have Gauntlet already installed on my PC and had it enabled for WBPlay too.

GavinUK86

Some of these orcs are pretty freaky...

fuflwh.png

Also another thing since this is a place where we can have friendly discussion, the *concept* of the Nemesis system is admirable and very unique in games, but when I sit down to think about it...the process of dying repeatedly to be able to experience that Nemesis growth isn't...fun to me.

Inherently, I feel like my death in a game should arise solely from a mistake I made, some foolhardy choice I made and reaped the consequences of it, and that is what actually makes dying satisfying and fun for me. Small examples like getting too excited in hardcore mode in Gears or making a foolish grenade toss in Halo (legendary) or a bad choice in a Souls game...I shouldn't want to die in a game, I want to progress in a difficult game and kick ass while I'm doing it so I feel like I'm achieving something. You could say well, "the reason you're doing in SOM is because of mistakes you're making", etc, true enough, but then if I try my hardest not to die, I never get to experience the Nemesis system.

I don't know, I'm just not sure I like that structure personally. Anyone else feel this way?

As of right now you get one rune.

You get a rune (dagger, if I recall) for signing up. Strangely enough, I didn't have to go through any kind of sign up process; it sort of auto-logged me into my existing WBplay account. I assume this has something to do with the fact I have Gauntlet already installed on my PC and had it enabled for WBPlay too.

Okay, so it's the same kind of thing that had for InJustice. Guess I'll wait keep waiting for that authentication email to come through.

Kaversmed

Also another thing since this is a place where we can have friendly discussion, the *concept* of the Nemesis system is admirable and very unique in games, but when I sit down to think about it...the process of dying repeatedly to be able to experience that Nemesis growth isn't...fun to me.

Inherently, I feel like my death in a game should arise solely from a mistake I made, some foolhardy choice I made and reaped the consequences of it, and that is what actually makes dying satisfying and fun for me. Small examples like getting too excited in hardcore mode in Gears or making a foolish grenade toss in Halo (legendary) or a bad choice in a Souls game...I shouldn't want to die in a game, I want to progress in a difficult game and kick ass while I'm doing it so I feel like I'm achieving something. You could say well, "the reason you're doing in SOM is because of mistakes you're making", etc, true enough, but then if I try my hardest not to die, I never get to experience the Nemesis system.

I don't know, I'm just not sure I like that structure personally. Anyone else feel this way?

So you are dying because you are unlucky or is the game just unfair at some points? I'm not sure what you mean.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing about 'picking your battles' is if you don't stealth kill an Orc and have to kill him normal style? It will pull EVERY Orc in that area that's currently active. He doesn't blow a horn, but the fact that you enter combat with him just triggers orc after orc after orc. I remember wiping out about 30 Orcs with 3 captains in the brawl. I walked two feet over to get a rune and suddenly two more Orcs. And then suddenly 30.

Not since Far Cry 2 and Gauntlet have I felt like the amount of dudes that come after you so quickly respawn.

This game has some incredible lighting. When it's on the early dawn lighting I do a double take whenever I pan the camera around to see the hills, it's really quite something. Especially in areas with puddles on the ground, the game really nails that hazy early morning look.

Nighttime rain is just the best, though. The specular highlights in this game are something else.

So you are dying because you are unlucky or is the game just unfair at some points? I'm not sure what you mean.
I don't think luck has anything to do with it. It just seems a little...counter productive. You need to approach each scenario carefully, plan out your attack right? So you don't die? If you do that though, you won't get to experience the Nemesis system. If you want to experience the Nemesis system and see these enemies rise up in rank and form personalities against you, you have to die repeatedly, which isn't...particularly fun for me.

The game is definitely not bad at all. I hope everyone here knows that I can love almost any game, I'm so happy many are loving it. Heck I made the review thread because I was happy for Monolith and the game. I guess I just should've recognized the game's structure before making a purchase. It's only my own fault, no one else's :)

Frillen

What does the L2 trigger (PS4) do in this game? Mine just fucking broke and I can't get a new controller for like 2-3 days and I will most likely get the game tomorrow. I can still push it down, but I have to manually push it back up. Good lord.

ironcreed

Banned

I must be in for a real difficulty spike, from the sound of things. I have just completed 1 mission at the slave camp and the orcs have been easy pickings so far. So, a bit more of a challenge that requires me to plot, use tools given and find weaknesses in tough enemies is where I think I will derive most of my enjoyment from here. We shall see where it goes.

cackhyena

Not really, honestly. I don't mean to say I run into battles ready to die to see how the system will play out, but rather it propels me to revel in whatever caused my death because I have a reason to avenge it. A reason to go on. The personalities they mark these guys with, the taunting, and the want to cut them down as they take advantage of your death is super rewarding when it's done. I think it works well and is unique. It is my fuckups that have cost me deaths in the past. I haven't found it to be something unfair with the game. Maybe I'm not as far as you, though? I stealth every game as much as possible when I can, so I thin out the herds a lot before going full brawl.

You don't just experience the Nemesis system by dying. Later on you'll be controlling orcs, playing them against each other and amassing an orc army.
What does the L2 trigger (PS4) do in this game? Mine just fucking broke and I can't get a new controller for like 2-3 days and I will most likely get the game tomorrow.
L2 is used to aim ranged attacks.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone help with what I'm exactly supposed to do? I've been going round doing missions randomly coming up against named uruk but they just eventually get replaced anyway :S I'm lost Lol

but then if I try my hardest not to die, I never get to experience the Nemesis system.
From your previous post, it sounds to me like you are dying just fine without having to try to die. I'd think that, unless you are some sort of freak, regardless of how hard to try not to die, you're going to anyway, just like in pretty much any game. Except in this one, cool things result from it. I've seen nothing to indicate that anyone is having to die on purpose to see the nemesis system do cool things. I'm kinda confused by this post especially when juxtaposed with your previous post saying how easily you are getting killed, unless you're claiming in this post that it's only because you're not trying hard enough?

tskeeve

This has been one of my fundamental issues with the nemesis system. There's been a lot of hoopla around it, but it seems like at its core it demands that you die to experience that element of the game. That comes off as incredibly unintuitive to me, unless the game is as difficult as Demon/Dark Souls and constant death is unavoidable no matter the level of play.

You don't just experience the Nemesis system by dying. Later on you'll be controlling orcs, playing them against each other and amassing an orc army.

Ah, I had no idea there was more to it. Interesting.

I don't think luck has anything to do with it. It just seems a little...counter productive. You need to approach each scenario carefully, plan out your attack right? So you don't die? If you do that though, you won't get to experience the Nemesis system. If you want to experience the Nemesis system and see these enemies rise up in rank and form personalities against you, you have to die repeatedly, which isn't...particularly fun for me.

The game is definitely not bad at all. I hope everyone here knows that I can love almost any game, I'm so happy many are loving it. Heck I made the review thread because I was happy for Monolith and the game. I guess I just should've recognized the game's structure before making a purchase. It's only my own fault, no one else's :)

I'm not sure I see this. The Nemesis system isn't just related to when you die, it shuffles the rest of Sauron's army around as well. You could perfectly execute every captain and the game would still have a free-forming roster of Orcs moving through the ranks through power struggles, random world deaths, your own actions, and filling in gaps. Going to a tower and advancing time essentially has the same effect as death.

You would also still get the "hey jerk I remember you" parts of the system if you never died, because it's pretty likely that you'd run into a captain too tough to tackle, or have one escape in the middle of a fight. There's really not much you'd miss by playing "perfect."

Game's pretty fun. It sorta drops you right into it without explaining much of the setting and it can send you a little reeling.
It's been 10 years since he died and the wraith brought him back to exact revenge on Saurons army, right?

Also am I an idiot or is my game glitched? I can't find the Ithildin in The Black Gate.

EDIT: Right after I post this, I found it.

I think Your over thinking it... Everyone should be doing there best to stay alive but there is going to be situations where you are overwhelmed and screw up or whatever and die and that's when the nemesis system steps in and gives the game a personality of its own... It should be natural not something that you force yourself to experience.

I haven't played the game yet but these are just my thoughts on how the system should work

Kaversmed

Now, I don't own the game so I can't exactly put myself into your perspective yet, but I'm not sure the point of the game is to watch these orcs rise in level - it's just something that will happen IF you die (which you probably will wether you like it or not). The nemesis system is something that will kick in and evolve dynamically based on how you play the game. I do get what you mean by wanting to die to get a nemesis but I'm not sure you should focus that much on it. Just play the game how you want and watch it unfold by itself. :)

Anyway, my two cents.

zkorejo

Anyone help with what I'm exactly supposed to do? I've been going round doing missions randomly coming up against named uruk but they just eventually get replaced anyway :S I'm lost Lol

Yea I cant really differentiate the enemy types either. There are weak ones that you can easily kill, then there are the ones who drop white runes and are not as easy as others and then there these somewhat challenging ones that drop yellow/gold runes.

They are all the same enemy types but with higher/lower ranks right?

kuppy

Watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look, interesting, but I didn't really get a scope of how the story works out. There are story missions, aren't there? Are those ultimately just more kill orders or what? Is it just fighting or planing to fight all the time?

I'm really enjoying the game so far. Didn't expect to get so invested in the storyline within the first hour. That intro part really got me hooked.

+1 to a bad character design. How did this get passed them? Everything in this game is so awesome but Talions face is SO generic looking.

Talion looks fine to me. Very Middle Earth-ish, if that makes sense.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The thing about 'picking your battles' is if you don't stealth kill an Orc and have to kill him normal style? It will pull EVERY Orc in that area that's currently active. He doesn't blow a horn, but the fact that you enter combat with him just triggers orc after orc after orc. I remember wiping out about 30 Orcs with 3 captains in the brawl. I walked two feet over to get a rune and suddenly two more Orcs. And then suddenly 30.

Not since Far Cry 2 and Gauntlet have I felt like the amount of dudes that come after you so quickly respawn.
Yeah I've been having this shit happen to me a lot. One captain completely isolated and unaware and the second I touch him I get a stream of lower tier enemies consistently until I finish him. It's annoying not fun.

*sigh*

I'm finding myself a little more apathetic with each battle...quickly getting surrounded by 2 dozen orcs, multiple captains, spear throwers in the background and archers to boot, dying over and over again. It's beginning to get a little tedious. Getting to the point where I'm almost not looking forward to the next battle. To make matters worse, I look at the minimap and see a near constant stream of orcs coming to join the battle, almost feels never-ending...

It doesn't help that the bow feels a little useless since I have to find arrows in the world to recharge the thing often which is annoying. Traversing the environment isn't as smooth and intuitive as I thought it'd be, Talion moves a little slowly for my liking when climbing or moving through structures. Found myself stuck on geometry a few times only to get killed by a group again. Just been my experience so far...thing is it's not like I don't particularly enjoy the combat, I really like the Batman Arkham games. For some reason there's just so many goddamn enemies here that swarm you. Damn, I don't know...

I know it's great right! One of the best challenge maps in the Arkham Games was the 1 vs 100 challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPyb71iE80

Btw, you can get a rune that will replenish your ammo, or you can hold down O/B to possess a enemy in combat stealing some ammo in the process. Also...don't forget about using your AoE attacks when getting swamped by big crowds. #SKILLZ

ironcreed

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far. Didn't expect to get so invested in the storyline within the first hour. That intro part really got me hooked.

Talion looks fine to me. Very Middle Earth-ish, if that makes sense.

I agree. Troy Baker here actually kind of gives off shades of Sean Bean as Boromir as far as how he sounds and the way he talks. It's very fitting and I find myself already interested in the revenge plot and whatever turns it may take.

Maybe I'm dying so much because I haven't advanced the story very much and upgraded a ton? Only just finished that first mission where you meet Golum, been playing around with sidequests and challenges at the moment. I keep searching for the red "power struggle" missions on the map so I can earn the power points to upgrade but they're not showing up anywhere.

Freki

Lamlog the Sickly keeps appearing... is that like a thing? lol

He's like the Kenny of Mordor.

I think it's bugged - I killed the same "... the poisonous" three times already...

Maybe I'm dying so much because I haven't advanced the story very much? Only just finished the mission with
Golum
, been playing around with sidequests and challenges at the moment.

maybe spoilertag that?

zkorejo

Introduction was one of the best ones in recent games I have played. I also dont understand the complaing about how Talion looks generic... the guy looks like Ned Stark (not Boromir).

turcy

Now, I don't own the game so I can't exactly put myself into your perspective yet, but I'm not sure the point of the game is to watch these orcs rise in level - it's just something that will happen IF you die (which you probably will wether you like it or not). The nemesis system is something that will kick in and evolve dynamically based on how you play the game. I do get what you mean by wanting to die to get a nemesis but I'm not sure you should focus that much on it. Just play the game how you want and watch it unfold by itself. :)

Anyway, my two cents.

advancing the clock also sees the orc captains level up, as well as random orcs get promoted to captain.

when travelling between fast travel towers on the map, you can press x to fast travel, or y to "advance time" - which works just like it would in a simulated turn in a turn based game or something.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't seem to recall being told about Power Struggles until I did the Ratbag mission so that may be it. During them captains are pretty vulnerable and also less likely to randomly stumble upon you. I think the game at the start probably tries too hard to set up the Nemesis system (which is why it seems like nearly everyone fights like 3 captains in their first encounter).

Top Bottom