• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Kilau

Not really happy with the PS4 performance; everything feels sluggish and the visuals aren't super consistent. The game definitely has the capacity to look great though.

Odd, the only time I notice a performance drop is when the scene changes after getting intel from an Uruk, happens every time.

Sluggish isn't what I would call the rest of the experience at all, but maybe it is and I just don't notice it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How long does it usually take to unlock the pre-load? Ive been sitting here for like almost 30 minutes now and its halfway through the bar.

Patroclos

Banned
Im really tempted to pick this up, but Evil Within is coming out in a couple weeks and Im still balls deep in Destiny.

Fuck.

You have been on the same game cycle as me. Diablo-Destiny-SoM-tEW!

SoM is a nice semi mindless distraction after the loot train ride of Diablo and Destiny, btw. Nice change of pace to lead into TeW, I thought, it was a good call for me at least.

So I make an account on WBPlay because every single publisher wants me to have a login and they dangled an epic rune in my face. I specifically check the option to not receive mailings. Half a day later, they mail me anyway with this important announcement: SHADOW OF MORDOR - IN STORES NOW. Thanks, Warner Brothers.

Meanwhile, 13 hours in and just hit the Sea of Nurnen. Now I see why SpeedTree is in the opening credits. Story is still firing on all cylinders with interesting side characters.

Transitioning to a new area means you get a new Nemesis board which some may object to but I rather like the clean slate and needing to gather intel again.

Game is still awesome.

absolutely love this game i love that that the NPC get something out of killing you as well, it's like everything besides yourself is progressing in the world and i really hope we see some of these features in other games but innovated on.

Prometheus Zero

Neo Member
Not really happy with the PS4 performance; everything feels sluggish and the visuals aren't super consistent. The game definitely has the capacity to look great though.

its not that the performance is sluggish, the game is 99% locked at 30fps, its that there is a fair amount of input lag going on. at first I was put off by this "sluggish" feeling aswell but after an hour or so, my brain adapted and all is well now.

sO, AT WHAT STORY MISSION DO YOU GET bRANDING ABILITIES?

I'VE KILLED 3/5 WARCHEIFS AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BESIDES GAIN INTEL.

Wow, caps lock.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
its not that the performance is sluggish, the game is 99% locked at 30fps, its that there is a fair amount of input lag going on. at first I was put off by this "sluggish" feeling aswell but after an hour or so, my brain adapted and all is well now.

I thought the PS4 version was 60fps?

Didn't think a new thread was necessary for this question. So far, AC Unity or SoM?

One isn't even out yet.

Catdaddy

Really fun game, took me a while to get my bearings on what to do, but stealth killing regular orcs is just fucking fun... And the nemesis system is awesome...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Is there anything noteworthy in regards to the implementation of the mythos? This will certainly be a topic of debate amongst my peers at The Eagle and Child.

Yea I think this is going to be my GOTY. Here are some hints

1. Remember Knowledge is Power. Use R1 to grab orcs for interrogation. After u know who a leader is, then u can get Intel on him. Intel is the green squares on your map. Once u know their name, get the Intel to know their strengths & weaknesses. This will make each battle easier because the higher the rank, the less weaknesses they have.

I needed 7 power to level up so I went after an 8. His weakness was stealth and combo finishers. He's in the heart of his lair and he has at least 10 orcs in the vicinity. As I creep behind him for the stealth kill, I see many orcs surrounding a fire. My greed gets the best of me and I let an arrow go. They explode and the boss walks over to check. I'm then able to stealth one bodyguard, the other turns and I stealth him leaving me face to face with the boss. He goes to blow his horn, punch to the face followed by a combo finishing throat slash and a blade thru the back of his skull. Didn't deliberately level my combo it, it just happened that way. But I was in a similar situation and the captain batted away my combo. When u don't know how to defeat your adversaries, it's like throwing shit at the wall. Be Prepared.

"Nemesis" system sounds about right. I kill this fuckface once but he appears randomly a bit later and kills me. I resurrect and hunt him down for vengeance. I battle him but a huge gangfight ensues, three other captains join the fight. Shit gets crazy, I get rekt. Now I have three captains I want to kill. The captains all have grown in power, some of them have insane strengths.

This game is crazy addictive, I've been playing for about 4.5 hours but time flew by like it's nothing.

isn't that a beautiful thing about this game? it's like evolving, you kill a Orc leader he remembers it, he appears RIGHT when you're about to die just to get revenge and reveals some sort of other tactic he never had before....this game mang...hnnnggg

Patroclos

Banned
What does the L2 trigger (PS4) do in this game? Mine just fucking broke and I can't get a new controller for like 2-3 days and I will most likely get the game tomorrow. I can still push it down, but I have to manually push it back up. Good lord.

Might not be a bad thing. it's the stealth control. It will function like a toggle switch for you.

Nevermind. beaten and had it wrong. sorry.

Late Flag

Well, this game really snuck up on me. I was aware of its existence, but the user reviews in here have put it firmly in my "must play" queue. The only problem is I've got Driveclub next week, and TEW is coming up too. Too many games -- nice problem to have.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;132358625 said:
Is there anything noteworthy in regards to the implementation of the mythos? This will certainly be a topic of debate amongst my peers at The Eagle and Child.

I'm only about two hours in so far, but from what I understand (based on reviews) there are bits of lore sprinkled here and there as the game progresses - particularly from the Appendices. Nothing has stuck out as of yet.

sO, AT WHAT STORY MISSION DO YOU GET bRANDING ABILITIES?

I'VE KILLED 3/5 WARCHEIFS AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BESIDES GAIN INTEL.

Wow, caps lock.

Yeah, you get that ability in the
second story mission of the second area.
How soon you to get there depends on how you handle the many distractions of the starting area.

taoofjord

Oh man, this game is janky and sluggish. Controls are really unresponsive and the frame rate feels terrible, whatever it is. The whole production so fas feels pretty amateurish for a bigger budget game, with awkward tutorials and cutscene to gameplay transitions, etc. I'm going to keep at it for a bit longer before deciding if I'll trade it in or not.

Oh man, this game is janky and sluggish. Controls are really unresponsive and the frame rate feels terrible, whatever it is. The whole production so fas feels pretty amateurish for a bigger budget game, with awkward tutorials and cutscene to gameplay transitions, etc. I'm going to keep at it for a bit longer before deciding if I'll trade it in or not.

If you're still getting tutorials, you have just started the game. Is it really fair to judge the game like less than 30 mins into it?

lmbotiva

Anyone else having like mini freezes on ps4? Like you start walking and the game freezes every 10 or so seconds, could it be because is still installing?

SDCowboy

So far I'm not really feeling this game. Even when there appears to be only one or two enemies on screen, I'll randomly get swarmed by orcs which then leads to 2-3 boss mobs suddenly agroing into me also. Then when you get some on the ground, you can't do an execution without it getting interrupted. I'm all for some challenge, but getting completely swarmed by orcs that take a ton of hits and constantly interrupt executions is getting old.

Patroclos

Banned
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Talkin looks like middle earth Troy baker, which means a chiseled face with long hair. Looks fineee

Ehh, not for me. I'm loving the Dark Ranger skin because of the hood. Something seems "off" about Talion. He looks like a metrosexual neanderthal.

Edmond Dantès;132358625 said:

Something I found interesting: there are two mannish factions in Mordor:

First you have the
Outcasts of Udûn, descendants of the Gondorian prisoners who built the Towers of Teeth and the Black Gate. They mistrust Gondor (and its implied the Rangers don't like them either) and chose to eke out an existence in north Mordor until the return of the Dark Lord.

Then there are
Tribesmen of Núrn, descended from the Corsair exiles. They thrived along Lake Núrnen until the orcs came in force and started enslaving everyone. The Lady of the Shore, Queen of the Tribesmen, apparently has visions of Celebrimbor and guides the player character.

Item Box

About "The One Truth" mission:

I'm not sure how I feel about that gandalf reference.
On the other hand i finally got the teleport ability. This should satiate my free roam teleporting needs until FFXV rolls around

I wish we didn't have to constantly recharge the bow though. I was hoping to just blast fools with arrows whenever I wanted...

Being able to recharge by draining enemies is possible but taking 3-4 seconds to drain one and having another enemy instantly interrupt you right away doesn't help.

Hang in there. You'll soon be swimming in runes that let you magic arrows out of thin air e.g. "+2 Elf Shot for a head explosion kill". If you want, you can create a build around it and generate Elf Shot with every other attack.

Top Bottom