• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

My copy is finally at my apartment, so my wife is going down to grab it from the office and do whatever installs it may need.

My friends have been gloating all day, regaling me with their nemesis stories, since they can play it (one is on vacation, the other works from home). I hate them.

Don't feel too bad, you have a kick ass wife. Jeez man I can't even get my girl to make toast. Off topic, yeah, but seriously, that's cool.

SRTtoZ

+1 to a bad character design. How did this get passed them? Everything in this game is so awesome but Talions face is SO generic looking.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Is there more to the game than fighting orcs and the much hyped up and marketed Nemesis system? Any big boss fights and creatures from the Tolkien lore?

For people on PC wanting SLI: The F.E.A.R. 3 DX11 bits seems to be working very well for a good number of cards- even my 670MXs, which aren't even desktop cards. There's an empty SoM profile with the latest Nvidia drivers (341.11) too, so I added them in there and am now rocking a solid 60FPS. You also have to add the actual SoM EXE to the profile, which is sorta weird (the default profile has some irrelevant sounding executable names tied to it).

*sigh*

I'm finding myself a little more apathetic with each battle...quickly getting surrounded by 2 dozen orcs, multiple captains, spear throwers in the background and archers to boot, dying over and over again. It's beginning to get a little tedious. Getting to the point where I'm almost not looking forward to the next battle. To make matters worse, I look at the minimap and see a near constant stream of orcs coming to join the battle, almost feels never-ending...

It doesn't help that the bow feels a little useless since I have to find arrows in the world to recharge the thing often which is annoying. Traversing the environment isn't as smooth and intuitive as I thought it'd be, Talion moves a little slowly for my liking when climbing or moving through structures. Found myself stuck on geometry a few times only to get killed by a group again. Just been my experience so far...thing is it's not like I don't particularly enjoy the combat, I really like the Batman Arkham games. For some reason there's just so many goddamn enemies here that swarm you. Damn, I don't know...

ironcreed

Banned
The combat is so satisfying. It may even be smoother than Arkham and I damn sure like the moves you pull off better. It looks pretty nice at times as well.

10388062_770988816298221_8955429900759987870_n.jpg

You guys said the game was easy, and I'm a vet of the Batman and AC series. I got my butt kicked by a gang of Orcs, and one of them ascended the ranks to a captain for killing me! On the brightside, I discovered a captain and killed him with his group by chance. It was pretty exhilarating. I'm loving this game so far, though I knew going into it that it would be right up my alley. The graphics are great, the combat is tight and visceral, and the nemesis system is downright impressive based on the few hours I've spent with it.

Zephyrus

Banned
Heard 12-15 hours if you just do the story, but there are other things to do in the world and the randomness of the nemesis system adds more hours to the game. For example I have played 1 hr and 33 mins and completed only 1 story mission out of

nice, nice.

Was out to buy it today but it still wasn't available so I got naruto revolution instead... I got pressured by my housemates.

Weak willed I know

VanWinkle

I love all of the different time-of-day settings. I thought there was only going to be two so I'm pleasantly surprised. I was playing earlier and it was hailing really hard and the sound design was incredible and there was this massive lighting bolt and stuff. So good.

I love all of the different time-of-day settings. I thought there was only going to be two so I'm pleasantly surprised. I was playing earlier and it was hailing really hard and the sound design was incredible and there was this massive lighting bolt and stuff. So good.

Night and rain is so good.

Andrew.

Banned
Im really tempted to pick this up, but Evil Within is coming out in a couple weeks and Im still balls deep in Destiny.

Fuck.

So I'm fighting like 8 orcs and kicking their asses and some asshole named nazdug who was standing on top of a tower shoots me with an arrow and kills me. Now he's nazdug the beast slayer and he's a captain. Fuck that guy.

Grief.exe

*sigh*

I'm finding myself a little more apathetic with each battle...quickly getting surrounded by 2 dozen orcs, multiple captains, spear throwers in the background and archers to boot, dying over and over again. It's beginning to get a little tedious. Getting to the point where I'm almost not looking forward to the next battle. To make matters worse, I look at the minimap and see a near constant stream of orcs coming to join the battle, almost feels never-ending...

It doesn't help that the bow feels a little useless since I have to find arrows in the world to recharge the thing often which is annoying. Traversing the environment isn't as smooth and intuitive as I thought it'd be, Talion moves a little slowly for my liking when climbing or moving through structures. Found myself stuck on geometry a few times only to get killed by a group again. Just been my experience so far. Damn...

Don't you think you are going about it in the wrong way? If you see hundreds of orcs milling about, do you just jump in and hope the game plays itself?

Poison some grog, unleash some dogs or flies, explode some barrels, shoot or stealth kill some archers. Otherwise, turn the fight to your advantage before blindly charging in.

I've noticed this game does have an air of difficulty about it if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.

I'm at a awful stealth mission atm, The Outcasts.

Great great game, but I HATE these kind of missions. :(

I struggled with that mission too. Having instant failure states is really poor game design.

Putty

Youre letting ONE members' comments control your choice of buying?
Well, I've always trusted his opinions on stuff in the past, and he's been spot on in what my own thoughts have been, but I hear what your saying...mega reviews can't be wrong...

Carlius

Banned
i absolutley love the nemsis system. i am being careless and getting whoopped. how do i get that ranger costume? so much better than the vanilla one

With Destiny I had to go back into the store and click download on the extra stuff I received with the Digital Guardian Edition. They were just sitting in the store with Free under the store page. Maybe it's still on the store page for the game.

I didn't get my Red Ghost until last week when I saw it hadn't been download. I went to the store page and it was sitting there.
Sorry for the copy/paste but this should work (from the PS4 store):

It's unintuitive as hell but worked here. It won't redownload the game, only DLC.
Thanks guys! This worked :)

I am liking this game a bit more than I thought I would. The nemesis introductions get a bit much though. I was running away from two of the dudes and an alarm in a fortress when this third dude stops me to introduce himself. I just kept on running after the cutscene. Guy probably thought I was rude, because when I came back he told me that I wouldn't be running away this time. Sadly for him, he was right.

Well, I've always trusted his opinions on stuff in the past, and he's been spot on in what my own thoughts have been, but I hear what your saying...mega reviews can't be wrong...

is that before or after you read his impression? impression could sway you into that direction thinking it might be bad/good.

Don't you think you are going about it in the wrong way? If you see hundreds of orcs milling about, do you just jump in and hope the game plays itself?

Poison some grog, unleash some dogs or flies, explode some barrels, shoot or stealth kill some archers. Otherwise, turn the fight to your advantage before blindly charging in.

I've noticed this game does have an air of difficulty about it if you don't pay attention to your surroundings.
That's what I've been doing, believe me. I don't mean I jump head first into a hundred enemies, I head into a group of 4-5 and suddenly I'm surrounded by 20 lol. I always try to take advantage of the environment, exploding fires, attracting a group to barrels and shooting those as well as well as the hornet nests. The other points I posted still happen though :-/

pixlexic

Banned
*sigh*

It doesn't help that the bow feels a little useless since I have to find arrows in the world to recharge the thing often which is annoying. Traversing the environment isn't as smooth and intuitive as I thought it'd be, Talion moves a little slowly for my liking when climbing or moving through structures. Found myself stuck on geometry a few times only to get killed by a group again. Just been my experience so far...thing is it's not like I don't particularly enjoy the combat, I really like the Batman Arkham games. For some reason there's just so many goddamn enemies here that swarm you. Damn, I don't know...

You have to use stealth to take out some orcs before you corner the rest so you don't get a whole mob going.

*sigh*

I was feeling this until I decided to pick my battles. Like, if there are too many enemies and I know I can't handle them, I just run away.

Fonds

Giantbombs quicklook was quite firm.

Must buy. Also stated that the parcour was less restrictive than AC and had much more satisfying combat to boot.

Pretty much the exact opposite of what is stated here.

Putty

is that before or after you read his impression? impression could sway you into that direction thinking it might be bad/good.

The game has come out of nowhere for me. Never bat an eye lid until the reviews hit last week, which then got me looking ...

Lime

Some impressions after a couple of hours:

• The Assassin's Creed mechanics with the opposite control scheme is kind of frustrating. Stealth is on right trigger which in AC is High Profile. So whenever I'm running, I end up holding right trigger.
  • Talion's design isn't as great as it could be. Small head, huge hands, small legs, huge torso. It unfortunately ends up looking like a WoW character, which clashes with the other designs in the game, such as Gollum.
  • The animation sequences suffer from the same problems as the AC games. Sometimes you end up going up a wall you don't intend to, sometimes the wrong enemies are targeted when dropping down, etc.
  • The copy-paste stuff from AC games is also pretty brainless. So many of the mechanics are lifted straight off the AC games. It's like Tomb Raider's reboot of doing a by-the-numbers carbon copy of the scripted, cinematic Uncharted formula.
  • Collect-a-thon like flower picking and tower unlocks can be excruciating and dumb as well. "3 inches deep ocean", indeed.
  • I appreciate the difficulty of the combat. It isn't easy. And while losing, the captains and war chiefs become better and better - I now have some dude who killed me 3 times in a row because it was at the beginning of the game for me, and he's now invulnerable to both ranged and physical attacks. However, it's still hit X, counter with Y, and then sometimes roll/dodge, until I can instakill with enough hit combos. However, the other options (instakilling stunned enemies and stunning enemies) are useless as long as I'm swarmed.
  • The use of colors are also nice, and the lighting and texture work are both excellent (playing on my TV, so no discern look with my monitor).
  • The fanservice can be too much. "Gollum might play an important part in the future, I can feel it". Uh huh. The writing isn't strong either.

Unless the game does something surprising, the strong suit of the game is for me the difficulty of the combat and the highly praised nemesis system. Otherwise this would be audiovisually bombastic with amazing production values, yet highly superficial and dumb AAA trash to me.

*sigh*

Sounds like my kinda game honestly.

I love the idea that the guy who kills you gets stronger.

Basically, the game is telling you, get gud.

I wouldn't want anyone to listen to just what I have to say on it at all. Read everyone else's impressions and form your thoughts around it :)

Other outlets and places like Giantbomb can say the exact opposite of my feelings but I don't think their opinions are somehow more valid than mine or anyone else's and automatically negate what I felt...everyone plays and enjoys different games, those were just my thoughts so far.

Kaversmed

Are there any major spoilers in the Giant Bomb QL? Don't want to spoil myself too much but the wait until the EU release is excruciating.

The awesome impressions from you guys are making me wet.

Top Bottom