• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

SDCowboy

I also thought there was going to be a bit more variety in gameplay and local then just slashing my way through open fields and the occasional encampment. I suppose that's my own fault for assuming that but I'm still disappointed.

Patroclos

Banned
That's some good stuff right there. Completely agree with the review, at least with the couple of hours I've played so far.

You know, I've been an opponent to single player only games - besides those big rpgs like Elder Scrolls and what not - because I want a lot of content, or at least something like multiplayer where, even though you're technically playing the same content, your interactions are unique and different, because every player plays differently.

This is a game that has managed to give that same feeling to a single player only game. And it's incredible.

Agreed. It is something that should be experienced and is worth the price of admission. Now I am dreaming of systems like this in GTA, Batman, Skyrim and practically every other game. This is going to be heavily copied. Ironic that a game that copies quite a few game mechanics from other games will itself be heavily copied by others for different reasons now.

I am sure people will find some glitches eventually but damn my early impressions of the system are great. I feel like this might be something that pushes storytelling and game design forward in really innovative ways in the future.

Apathy

Wondering if this is happening to anyone else, when Talion goes in to do the finisher on some of the captains after an interrogation, he will do the choke one that I guess is suppose to blow off their heads like I have seen in previews of the game, but when he does it their heads stay on and the animation just looks weird because Talion's hand is like no where near their head

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Something I found interesting: there are two mannish factions in Mordor:

First you have the
Outcasts of Udûn, descendants of the Gondorian prisoners who built the Towers of Teeth and the Black Gate. They mistrust Gondor (and its implied the Rangers don't like them either) and chose to eke out an existence in north Mordor until the return of the Dark Lord.

Then there are
Tribesmen of Núrn, descended from the Corsair exiles. They thrived along Lake Núrnen until the orcs came in force and started enslaving everyone. The Lady of the Shore, Queen of the Tribesmen, apparently has visions of Celebrimbor and guides the player character.
Very interesting. The first could be construed as analogous to the Drúedain or more so the individuals not included among the Three Houses of Men in the First Age.

The second seems to bear some resemblance to structure of the Second House of Men and Haleth.

Gurrry

I have the AMD Radeon HD 7700. Canirunit says I meet the minimum specs, but not the recomended.

However, it said the same thing about Dark Souls 2 and that runs like smooth butter.

Im tempted to get it for PC or Xbox one.. someone help with the decision!

Any XB1 impressions??

Skyzard

Banned
Maybe I'm dying so much because I haven't advanced the story very much and upgraded a ton? Only just finished that first mission where you meet Golum, been playing around with sidequests and challenges at the moment. I keep searching for the red "power struggle" missions on the map so I can earn the power points to upgrade but they're not showing up anywhere.

I think you just got a bit unlucky.

So far I've not had any issues and I only touched Batman and Asscreed a bit - it seems really forgiving.

Maybe run away if there are a million of them :p

So I've been playing for a while now. I gotta say I don't see the problems. I wasn't particularly hyped for the game but man the nemesis system is 99.9999999999% of the fun. If you don't want to kill orcs who have little cutscene intros and names to you then I don't know what you want in life.

It's fun as all hell. It's especially fun because some of the orcs you defeat come back again with scars/injuries and want revenge so the whole nemesis system works even more so when a familiar face shows up in the middle of you doing something and wants your head. Also he's probably stronger lol.

There's one in particular who has a hard-on for me and has come back like 3 times already. It's hilarious.

Lol my new nemesis is this guy called Pako the Poet. He speaks in rhymes everytime he shows up

I would kill to have your guy. The guy who is obsessed with me now has this metallic eye patch because I've killed him with headshots so many times. lol

MUnited83

For you.
Wondering if this is happening to anyone else, when Talion goes in to do the finisher on some of the captains after an interrogation, he will do the choke one that I guess is suppose to blow off their heads like I have seen in previews of the game, but when he does it their heads stay on and the animation just looks weird because Talion's hand is like no where near their head

That's what supposed to happen, yeah. You need to confront them more than once to really kill them. (they are only really dead if their head comes off)

If you kill him you must film yourself looking down at your hands then say

"Looks like there is now blood on these hands"

I'll say it guys, getting a lil sick of the dark ranger skin, gonna need some more ASAP

I love doing stealth kills and staying in the shadows, so it's perfect for me. I mean I won't complain if I get like a "One hobbit sitting on another Hobbit's shoulders" skin.

I also thought there was going to be a bit more variety in gameplay and local then just slashing my way through open fields and the occasional encampment. I suppose that's my own fault for assuming that but I'm still disappointed.

That's exactly why I avoided buying. Everything I've seen has been kind of repetitive. I still want to try it, though

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just attempted a fort challenge that required killing everyone in a crazy arena. Something like thirty orcs on screen surrounding me and reinforcements keep coming. Killed so many but still couldn't last. Guess I need to try again with more melee skills. Way more enemies than the game has ever thrown at me.

Fun game and the nemeais system now includes vengeance events that pull Orcs from friend list deaths to kill Diablo 3 style. Neat

Finally died for the 1st time (after at least 4 recoveries with that mini-game). Killed a pyro captain and his minion shot me while I was picking up my reward. Screwed up the mini-game because my nerves were shot from fighting the captain. I'm angry. I wanted a no-death run. That bitch is staying a captain for about 5 minutes.

My GOTY so far. . . .

drotahorror

I'm still playing through it, but in GB's Quicklook, Brad said something about there being some crazy shift later in the game that no other game had did or somethin? Is there really some big thing that no one's talking about?

PepperedHam

Loving this game a lot but is there some lock on system that I'm missing because the camera eats total shit in tight spaces, like, total shit.

Also fuck fighting Caragors.

I'm still playing through it, but in GB's Quicklook, Brad said something about there being some crazy shift later in the game that no other game had did or somethin? Is there really some big thing that no one's talking about?

Honest question, why would you want to know the specifics in advance, rather than being surprised when you play the game?

Question that wasn't answered in the QL

Brad was clearly button-tapping, just mashing the attack and counter buttons from the looks of things. Does this have the same system as the Arkham games where combat is more efficient when you time your attacks, ie pressing Square just after aking contact with a prior attack? Also, likewise with the Arkham games, are you punished for spamming the counter button?

Enjoyed the bit where he flipped over someone the moment an orc threw a spear at him, and it hit the guy who he'd flipped over in the arse :D

AKEe2DD.jpg

jeqzt9C.jpg

hTODszx.jpg

This game is sick. If you're on the fence, I feel bad for you, because you're not playing it.

Wish those shots weren't so compressed. The PQ is much, much cleaner.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The day I kill Tarz The Map Keeper will be fucking joyous.

Utter utter cunt. You're fuckin marked scumbag.

Love the game so far!

Hawk269

Is the Xbone locked at 30?

I'll take 900p and a locked 30 over 1080p and an unlocked 60, I hate fluctuations.

But if the 30 isn't rock solid I'll grab the PS4 version.

I have 2 friends currently playing it and both said that the frame rate has been rock solid so far on the Xbox One version. One said he cant tell if it is 1080p or 900p, but the other said he was pretty sure it was 900p. But both said framerate was very smooth and solid.

That is all I got since they wanted to get back to playing.

Can't believe that it is this hard to get information on the Xbox One version however. I have been at work all day and cant keep up with this thread, but no one seems to want to answer that resolution/framerate. I saw someone post some great impressions of the game (X1 version), but he/she failed to mention anything about framerate or resolution.

drotahorror

Honest question, why would you want to know the specifics in advance, rather than being surprised when you play the game?

Question that wasn't answered in the QL

Brad was clearly button-tapping, just mashing the attack and counter buttons from the looks of things. Does this have the same system as the Arkham games where combat is more efficient when you time your attacks, ie pressing Square just after aking contact with a prior attack? Also, likewise with the Arkham games, are you punished for spamming the counter button?

Enjoyed the bit where he flipped over someone the moment an orc threw a spear at him, and it hit the guy who he'd flipped over in the arse :D

It's not that I want to know what it is. Just if there is actually something at all.

Yes, there's some timing involved. You get crits and build your hit count up twice as fast.

Patroclos

Banned
Hi everybody! My name is Nick and I have been Destiny free for 20 hours now. I would like to introduce you to my sponsor, Shadow of Mordor.

It's going to be a struggle. I expect to have relapse this weekend.

orochi91

When is the DF analysis going up?

Can't trust any of you guys, so many different answers lol

I wanna know if the PS4 version running closer to 30fps or 60fps.

Didnt see it asked on this page, but it may have been discussed... is anyone else having issues using their XB360 controller with the PC version? Specifically - doing ground and stunned executions? I'm hitting R2 + X while they are on the ground, doing Y + B while they are stunned, and it seems to work 20% of the time. Feels like Im doing it wrong, but of course, looking up the attack prompts in game and through the internet has oddly yielded no results.

btags

Is the Xbone locked at 30?

I'll take 900p and a locked 30 over 1080p and an unlocked 60, I hate fluctuations.

But if the 30 isn't rock solid I'll grab the PS4 version.

Again, from what I have played the framerate has been pretty rock solid. The only time I have noticed any slowdown (and this occurred only occasionally, not every time) was when switching from the wraith vision to normal vision when lots of stuff was going on.

If you want I could try to capture some hectic gameplay using gamedvr and upload it. Although game DVR is not the greatest quality video, it should represent the solid framerate well enough unless something messes up with the video processing.

It's not that I want to know what it is. Just if there is actually something at all.

Yes, there's some timing involved. You get crits and build your hit count up twice as fast.

Cool

I still have nightmares about my brother playing the Arkham games. Don't think his combo metre ever went above 10 :p

Top Bottom