• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

PepperedHam

Don't know what "challenge mode" constitutes but I already did a sword mission where I had to kill off 50 orcs in an arena and also try to get a 100 hit counter. I would've done the 100 hit counter if I had realized that doing the wraith stun and sword flurry is a great way to build up hits fast.
Oh yeah there are those too but I'm talking about the Trials of War that are on the main menu. I have one unlocked from the pre-order bonus but there are a few others that season pass owners get early access to of some kind, but they have been vague as shit as to whether that means early DLC access or just early in game access without having to unlock it.

I've read people speculate that it can be unlocked yourself but I was just wondering if anyone has progressed far enough to confirm this.

z3phon

Damn it! This thread makes me feel like I'm really missing out if I don't play the game. Ah screw it, I'll buy the game as soon as I leave work.

Randdalf

This is my pal Bubol during happier days (when he was running from a Caragor)
5750BF1AECDDF18B6D30EDD174010A6CA2E1FCC6

Apparently he survived me killing him, and he's pretty mad about it.

Also, meet Buth who has killed me like two times and loves just randomly turning up at inopportune moments.

Here's Buth on fire, I imagine he'll have some nasty burns the next time we meet.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads

Also, meet Buth who has killed me like two times and loves just randomly turning up at inopportune moments.

Here's Buth on fire, I imagine he'll have some nasty burns the next time we meet.

*whistles* now thats a face only a mother could love

edit: how ypou set him on fire, shooting an arrow at their bonfire

Turn off the counter icons, people. Makes combat a lot more fun. You actually have to pay attention to the animations without being warned ahead of time. Makes dodging way more useful, and makes being surrounded way more tense.

funny enough the first ever orc I fought in the game outside of the required few ended up being a coward captain who ran away lol.

Turn off the counter icons, people. Makes combat a lot more fun. You actually have to pay attention to the animations without being warned ahead of time. Makes dodging way more useful.

I'm already getting swarmed by enemies, game can get hard enough without removing those lol

SZips

I love this system. I had died to one guy and he obviously got a promotion. I immediately set out to hunt him down after I come back to "life." I find him and kill him. No more than 15 minutes pass before he interrupts a fight I'm having with another guy, only this time he's wearing a big metal plate over a quarter of his skull.

Bad graphics, dead world, derivative combat, awkward controls, shit audio. How did this review so highly?? i've played for 4 hours now and i just don't get it. This game is the biggest let down of the year for me.

Like with every other OT ever, most of the people currently posting are those not enjoying the game, while the vast majority are too busy playing it. I've gotta take a break for today, but I think I got pretty damn far.
Currently in the second zone, and now trying to brand more warchiefs to form an army.

I was worried right off the bat that the game would be too easy, but it gets really difficult once you start getting attacked by captains and warchiefs who cannot be attacked with basic attacks, and who you must dodge roll in order to avoid getting killed rather than spamming basic attacks and parry.

Fantastic game with fantastic performance, and a pretty fantastic story so far that definitely stays true to the way the Peter Jackson films captured the universe this takes place in.

Maybe he (or you?) should try getting further into the game. Like every game ever, it gets more difficult as you progress. You cannot possibly kill the captains and warchiefs later on in the game using this tactic.

Bad graphics, dead world, derivative combat, awkward controls, shit audio. How did this review so highly?? i've played for 4 hours now and i just don't get it. This game is the biggest let down of the year for me.

There was like hours and hours of footage that showed what the world was like and that the combat was from Arkham...

lmbotiva

The stutter i had on ps4 was ( i guess ) because the game was installing, i exit the game and and waited for the whole game to
Install and after that its been flawless for me, not even dips on the interrogations, about the game i have to say that im enjoying it greatly, love the combat, overall a solid game and a great foundation for what it could be a great franchise

Wynnebeck

Banned
First impulse buy I've done in a long time just off of reviews and the fact that everyone who bought a copy from us today bought the PS4 version. It better be good GAF.

cavemancolton

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously didn't expect this game to look as good as it does. I'm not a huge fan of open-world games, but I can totally imagine myself picking this up during a steam sale.

-Deimos

Maybe he (or you?) should try getting further into the game. Like every game ever, it gets more difficult as you progress. You cannot possibly kill the captains and warchiefs later on in the game using this tactic.

In a small fight, you probably can. The problem is when they fucking swarm you.

4 captains. Same time. Fuck me.

Randdalf

I love this system. I had died to one guy and he obviously got a promotion. I immediately set out to hunt him down after I come back to "life." I find him and kill him. No more than 15 minutes pass before he interrupts a fight I'm having with another guy, only this time he's wearing a big metal plate over a quarter of his skull.

I love the fact you can basically take these vanilla orcs and mold them into fuller "characters". It's so tremendously compelling. It's all just reactionary and happens completely naturally (although you could probably game the system) during battles. I'm not so keen on the more player-controlled aspects of the nemesis system (though to be fair I haven't fully unlocked it all yet), but just having this procedural enemy system makes the whole thing worth it.

It's sort of a strange comparison, but it's why I like playing Football Manager so much. I enjoy building teams and winning competitions sure, but I also really enjoy watching other players become managers and following their careers. Plus, their entire history is recorded so you can see where they came from. It's like having Wikipedia articles generated before your eyes, which is why I think a political dynasty game with a "rise through the ranks" mechanic would be very fun.

Mordor evokes feelings of those procedural staff histories generated in FM for me, but in this the history is the scars on their face, their personalities and ultimately your experiences in the game fighting against them.

that was 5 hours into the game.
Are you at the second zone yet? You cannot kill captains or warchiefs that way in the second zone.

Never mind, answered my own question by watching the video again. Clearly 5 hours into the game you still don't understand the power levels of captains and how certain captains are innately more difficult than others because they're impossible to attack with basic attacks.

cackhyena

So you threw away your money when any video over the last couple months could have told you it wasn't for you. Smart.

npa189

I watched some videos and Shoemaker's review pushed me over the edge since that guy hates everything. God bless greenman, you can't beat getting games on release day for $37.50

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Don't feel too bad, you have a kick ass wife. Jeez man I can't even get my girl to make toast. Off topic, yeah, but seriously, that's cool.

Lol. Yeah, my wife is pretty awesome. We're currently playing Diablo 3, and she's already a level 64 Paragon. I haven't even gotten to level 70 yet!

I'm on the bus home now, and after I work out, and take care of the other errands, I'm going to tear this ducking game up. Despite being interested in it from the beginning, the fact that the nemesis system actually delivers is what has me the most excited about finally getting my hands on it. It really was a make or break system. If it didn't wirk, the SoM would just be a competent, fun LotR hack n slash. Nothing wrong with that, as I adored the Two Towers and Return of the King games (which I also played with my wife when we were dating). But the nemesis system seems to add a real layer that I don't think most of us realized was missing from open world games.

GravyButt

So wait. If a person on my friend list gets killed, his nemesis will appear in my game?!

Bah god if true, add me on psn. Kevbo887

So you threw away your money when any video over the last couple months could have told you it wasn't for you. Smart.
I like the arkham games, i like open world systems, i like lord of the rings. I was fully expecting to enjoy this but for some reason it just isnt clicking for me, maybe i need to play some more. No reason to insult my intelligence because my opinion isn't positive at this stage.

Randdalf

Lol. Yeah, my wife is pretty awesome. We're currently playing Diablo 3, and she's already a level 64 Paragon. I haven't even gotten to level 70 yet!

I'm on the bus home now, and after I work out, and take care of the other errands, I'm going to tear this ducking game up. Despite being interested in it from the beginning, the fact that the nemesis system actually delivers is what has me the most excited about finally getting my hands on it. It really was a make or break system. If it didn't wirk, the SoM would just be a competent, fun LotR hack n slash. Nothing wrong with that, as I adored the Two Towers and Return of the King games (which I also played with my wife when we were dating). But the nemesis system seems to add a real layer that I don't think most of us realized was missing from open world games.

I think that's spot on, the nemesis system is almost like the open world version of a story. Open world narratives have traditionally, and somewhat ironically I suppose, been entirely linear affairs. To some extent, this allows you to make your own stories, by just interacting with the characters and the open world. What's more exciting though is the potential this sort of system could have if it was picked up by other developers and made richer over many years in other open world games with other settings. For instance, could you imagine a GTA game with a fully dynamic character system?

cackhyena

I like the arkham games, i like open world systems, i like lord of the rings. I was fully expecting to enjoy this but for some reason it just isnt clicking for me, maybe i need to play some more. No reason to insult my intelligence because my opinion isn't positive at this stage.

Isn't positive at this stage? You sound like you're offended it exists. The combat is super similar to Arkham, and the traversal is super similar to AC. Did you not watch previews, or the Quicklook? It doesn't look any different.

Talk to me about the plot and world, GAF! Are there Elves? Are there Dwarves? Is it just limited to Mordor? Can I go hang out with Shelob or tour Minas Morgul?

Now try that with Defenders, Hunters, and Berserkers unlocked. You will die.

This... If you've spent 5 hours into the game and haven't progressed the story at all, of course the game is going to treat you like you don't have all of the neat toys necessary to challenge the big bads.

I haven't tried turning off the prompts (which I will the next time I play it), but the game is pretty easy and I don't mean ho ho, I use only one thumb, but if you've played AC or Batman, you can easily fight 15-20 uruks, and a captain pretty easily. Will it get more difficult later on? I don't doubt it, but 3-4 hours in and its really, really easy.

Top Bottom