• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Skyzard

Banned
The first time it loaded, did it take ages?

Maybe try deleting just save files/user config files... maybe it's doing some nutty thing and grabbing ultra and high textures...

KePoW

Banned
Not that I'm aware of. Tried reinstalling drivers. Really don't want to have to re-download the whole thing, but if I must then I must. Sucks, seems like I'm the only one having such major issues from what I can tell.

Yeah I haven't heard anyone else with that specific problem. Certainly not widespread

Lain

Spent 4 hours with the game, had tons of fun. Died a lot too.
I initially tried going with everything at Ultra and it was working pretty well with my 970, keeping up that 60fps, but then there were occasional big drops (when the first forge gets reactivated at the beginning of the game and the map opens up I managed to reach 1 fps lol) so lowered Textures 1 spot and it performs so damn well.

Anyone the PS4 come across stuttering issues making your way to the first mark/orc? I bought the disc version and the game seemed to be freezing every 5 seconds. I'm not sure if it was a loading delay or a controller issue (I think the left thumb-stick on the controller I was using is going out).

I have the digital download version, and have had zero technical issues with the game thus far...now...on the other hand..I seem to keep leveling up those captains!! :(

Ricker

Not digging the game as much as I thought so far...I find it really confusing and it's a quick time event nightmare for me...oh well back to Destiny for now.

The first time it loaded, did it take ages?

Maybe try deleting just save files/user config files... maybe it's doing some nutty thing and grabbing ultra and high textures...

The first time I started it up last night, I got through the tutorial just fine. All the super long loading time issues started after that, and all the other problems followed from there. But this morning I played and it started up quick, loaded me in quick, and I played for an hour with no problems. Then the input lag started up again and forced me to quit. Now I'm here with all the issues and no solution.

Skyzard

Banned
^ I'm sorry man, that's really confusing, not sure what's going on.

Not digging the game as much as I thought so far...I find it really confusing and it's a quick time event nightmare for me...oh well back to Destiny for now.

I was confused for the first half hour and had worrying thoughts about the game, but spend a little time just getting used to the controls and mechanics...it loosens up a lot and is actually quite fluid.

Awesome action packed game.

ak1276

Banned

Isn't there only like, 1 QTE mechanic?

Are you getting put into your last stand mode a bunch?

antitrop

Loving this game so far, but is there an easy way to know when you can do an Triangle + Circle Execution?

Is that the execution you need to buy the upgrade for? If so your sword should glow when you can use it.
K, thanks, I knew there had to be some kind of indicator, but there's so much going on on the screen it can be kind of overwhelming. In a good way.

I am loving this game so far. It started out extremely easy, and for the most part it still is, but then I ran into a couple of high level captains that I didn't have enough info on and I got absolutely wrecked.

Loving this game so far, but is there an easy way to know when you can do an Triangle + Circle Execution?

Is that the execution you need to buy the upgrade for? If so your sword should glow when you can use it.

sdornan

In a lot of these types of games with enemy "strongholds", there is usually a mechanic for clearing them out and preventing enemies from hanging out there, or at least reducing their numbers. I've only played a few hours but I haven't found anything like that in this game; is that the case?

Apathy

Anyone the PS4 come across stuttering issues making your way to the first mark/orc? I bought the disc version and the game seemed to be freezing every 5 seconds. I'm not sure if it was a loading delay or a controller issue (I think the left thumb-stick on the controller I was using is going out).

I got the disc version too and no issues. Did you let the game fully install before starting or just played as soon as possible. Maybe it was installing in the background and that was causing the stutter?

Gaz_RB

In a lot of these types of games with enemy "strongholds", there is usually a mechanic for clearing them out and preventing enemies from hanging out there, or at least reducing their numbers. I've only played a few hours but I haven't found anything like that in this game; is that the case?

Nah. The idea is that this is Mordor and you will never be able to clear places out of orcs, just cripple them where it matters.

Ricker

Isn't there only like, 1 QTE mechanic?

Are you getting put into your last stand mode a bunch?

Amongst other things yeah,also when you get charged by those big cats...there's a bunch of stuff that I am not sure when to pull off because there's no indication(or I dont see it)...like the hit streak,what does O do,when can you interrogate...why does it say O to drain at the bottom sometimes...I am not even sure where my health is and like I asked earlier,where's my Dagger...I was right on top of an Ilithin or something and never found it...what the hell is an Ilithin...stuff like that....fast travel to stop time..? why would I want to stop time...confused as hell..

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Can anyone tell me how to kill enemies on the ground on the PS4? I stupidly just ignored all the tutorials at the beginning and now I can't find anywhere how to do it. This is why we should have instruction manuals again :S

I love how a double counter has you attack one dude and the wraith attacks the other. Instead of you taking on two guys on your own. A very nice detail

Also the kill animations in this game are some of the best I've seen

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man, I never get anything accomplished in this game. I don't think I've ever been so consistently distracted by side stuff as I am in this game. It's a lot of fun to play though.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times by now but I just started playing a bit ago. Loving it so far!

But I would like to know what the Rising Storm sword rune actually does. Says it gives me a legendary weapon power but no clue how to enable it.

ruxtpin

Banned
I got the disc version too and no issues. Did you let the game fully install before starting or just played as soon as possible. Maybe it was installing in the background and that was causing the stutter?

Yeah, as soon as I could get it to load I jumped in. I'll close the app down, get a different controller and see how it goes.

The Sea of Núrnen looks and feels much better than the first area, especially in terms of graphics and atmosphere.
Moody storms, sea, and wind beat barren rock any day.
I also like how branding orcs expands your options for the Nemesis system.

There were a few pleasant surprises in the artifacts relating to the
Blue Istari
that put a smile on my face.

I'm not too keen on Talion's design, his face looks weird, and he's much too bulky/top heavy. Visually, I'd rather be playing as his son, Dirhael, who (let's face it) is much more handsome and well-proportioned. Perhaps he'll be an unlock or skin option? Troy Baker is doing a fantastic job with the voice though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, as it turns out, there's like 3 different indicators, lol. DS4 speaker, red multiplier icon, and glowing sword.

I first daze them, then about the end of the combo the sword is ready. I use the Wraith combo to charge it every single time. If you time it right you can parry and continue to Wraith combo back to back. They just need to keep the blue daze on their face. I then use the execution on an enemy whose barely been touched.
I say this because I didn't watch for the indicator. I thought the
wraith combo
was the fastest method for getting it.

Ostinatto

Are you at the second zone yet? You cannot kill captains or warchiefs that way in the second zone.

Never mind, answered my own question by watching the video again. Clearly 5 hours into the game you still don't understand the power levels of captains and how certain captains are innately more difficult than others because they're impossible to attack with basic attacks.

Now try that with Defenders, Hunters, and Berserkers unlocked. You will die.

you guys are missing the point here. this are the core mechanics of the game.

its like mini QTE all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yQzDbv6rS8&t=0m15s

antitrop

Can anyone tell me how to kill enemies on the ground on the PS4? I stupidly just ignored all the tutorials at the beginning and now I can't find anywhere how to do it. This is why we should have instruction manuals again :S

R2 + Square.

R2 is all of your Stealth abilities.

Peterthumpa

This game is a disgrace to play via Remote Play. The R2 and L2 mappings in the back touchpad are terrible, and an unfortunate lack of custom control options is baffling. A shame, was planning to play it entirely via RP since the graphics look so much better downscaled to the Vita's screen.

putarorex

I bought the digital version and played a couple hours last night. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play more but one Orc captain I fought lost the image on his face and just had a black void for part of his face. This happened when he gloated after killing me and when I got my revenge. Not sure if it was a bug or my PS4 overheating.

I have the digital version and didn't notice that at all, maybe it's caused by the full game installing

Kard8p3

I bought the digital version and played a couple hours last night. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to play more but one Orc captain I fought lost the image on his face and just had a black void for part of his face. This happened when he gloated after killing me and when I got my revenge. Not sure if it was a bug or my PS4 overheating.

might have been blood on his face? Orcs have black blood. I had this happen to someone as well after I beat the hell out of them.

Hmm, never seen that, are you sure it was a black void or did he have black wrapping on his face. That's what happened to me when I went to get revenge on a Captain that I burned in the previous fight.

This game.. man o fucking man this game!!

I don't know where to begin.. from the stellar intro, to the beautiful graphics, to the excellent combat dynamics and character traversal.. the freaking funny conversating orcs, or the dynamic weather system.. I am just amazed at such a polished game! So many amazing things that scream "polish" in this game. It's a gem and a keeper.. Congrats Monolith!!

I went to go avenge Net_Wrecker, but the Orc that killed him killed me too :(

LMAO

Which one? I was getting my ass kicked earlier by a few different Orcs that ended up leveling to the 2nd or 3rd tier. I keep putting myself in AWFUL spots and trying to sprint away with R2 like an idiot. Playing without counter icons + no intel on a Captain leaves you really blind sometimes.

Alright, since I've exhausted literally every other option, I'm trying to re-install the game. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Wish me luck.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Just finished my first two hours. Love it. Exactly what I wanted. Open world game with combat that's a mix of Arkham games and the old LotR console games.

A tip to those having trouble with the combat:

SLOW DOWN. Press whatever button once to attack a dude. Just once. Then if to have time press it again to attack another dude. Be very patient. And understand you can counter at any time. If you got one dude on the ground a bit away from the rest of the crowd but you're not sure you have time for the kill animation, just go ahead and start it. If someone is going to hit you before you finish, counter it. You won't have done any damage with the finishing move you started, but you'll still be in good shape and your combo is not reset.

Top Bottom