• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

I am in Germany and game unlocked on Steam Tuesday morning. Why you got to wait?

Physical PS4 copy my friend. I was toying with the idea of getting it from the US PSN store but the hassle plus possibilities of it not working/trophies not working/ I'm getting it for £35 anyway make me swiftly rethink the idea and just hold out

SJRB

Gold Member
It's nice that in this drab, dreary and brown world suddenly the sky opened up and there's a clear blue sky. Makes the place feel completely different all of a sudden.

Very cool. Also, I love the rain effects. I just wish both weather and day/night cycle was dynamic, but I can see why they didn't go that route with the Nemesis System happening in "real time" and all.

Klyka

Banned
Only in the States.

AH ok that explains things.

Physical PS4 copy my friend. I was toying with the idea of getting it from the US PSN store but the hassle plus possibilities of it not working/trophies not working/ I'm getting it for £35 anyway make me swiftly rethink the idea and just hold out

Yeah I can understand that, I didn't think it would have this weird staggered digital release seeing how Steam didn't have it.

Generally you kill the archer first via stealth and then go after the foot soldiers

You could pick off some of the foot soldiers via elven bowing them

Keep the uruks between you and the archers (use vault a lot.) They'll slay their own men for you. Fight underneath the archer position so they don't have a shot. Guide the foot patrol away from the archers. Shadow strike over to the archers mid-fight, kill them all, shadow strike back to the melee.

You don't have to play stealth if you don't want to.

forms

From the little I have seen, the combat seems to revolve around timing key presses, similar to the fighting in Batman. Is this true?

Moff

I have heavily criticized this game after the first few hours, and although I recognized the nemesis system as interesting I have to say the quality of the game improves a lot the more feautures of the nemesis system are introduced. the main mechanics might not be that spectacular, but its the nemesis system that defines the quality and the feeling of this game, its much more than just a new side feauture. this game is built around it.

and in many ways, the nemesis system makes the game feel like classic global strategy games for PC, like civilization or xcom. because you get the feel that you play your very own, dynamic story. but all of it in real time, witthout saving, in a fluent action game. and although tactical components are there, too, its really great and fasctinating to have that feeling in a completely different genre. I really think this is fasctinating and exceptionelly well done, too. I cant wait to progress in the story and unlock more features of the nemesis system, but the problem is I also want to upgrade really fast so I'm doing tonts of side missions, too.

just one question: I saw 1 main story mission where I have to kill a warchief, so that means I definitely HAVE to make use of the nemesis system to take him down. does this happen often? or would it be possible to ignore the nemesis system for most of the game?

Loomba

I just found out I can't play on friday because I have to go out! bah

Folks with the physical edition, is the preorder costume a code on a card within the disk?

This guy
mNFFUgT.jpg

Sanctuary

You can only hit downed enemies with the execution move. I think the button combination is holding the sneak button and pressing attack.

Yep, this is what it shows in the turorial and this is easily done in fights that are one on one or up to three maybe, but in any of the larger fights Talion refuses to attack the downed enemies I am trying to attack.

IvorB

Players of different skill levels judge game's difficulty differently, news at eleven. :p

I can't work with that. I need CONSENSUS.

By the sounds of it depends how good you are with the Batman Style Combat and using the Counters/ taking advantage of the Orks weaknesses.

Not being able to play till Friday sucks :(

once you get that hang of it its not hard, but i wouldnt say its easy either. its in between. not dark souls hard, but not assassins creed easy either. its hard to say, some people excel at these kind of games, i certainly dont, so i get whooped all over the place.

Sounds like middle of the road. At least some people are finding it difficult so I guess it's not a cake walk.

Calabi

I'm confused with the pre-order dlc, the challenge modes. Does the game not have battle arena type modes, where you can just fight orcs for as long as you can survive, or is that only if you pre-order.

DOWN

Banned
I can't work with that. I need CONSENSUS.

Sounds like middle of the road. At least some people are finding it difficult so I guess it's not a cake walk.
I'd say it's a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to manage the big fights and weaknesses, after that you have a choice in the difficulty by how you play. You can let the fights get massive and thus need more consistent performance and you can keep letting rivals level up and you can skip Intel, making it a lot more difficult.

To me, it's a great balance and I definitely think your confidence will cause you to die a handful of times in some confrontations at least before you've spent many hours upping your skills and weapons.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, didn't think I was going to pick this up right away, as I am knee deep in Destiny, and also still have Metro Redux to go through and the last 4th of TLoU Remastered as well.

But, upon impulse I picked it up at target last night. Been playing for several hours now, just killed my first Warchief. This game is phenominal. Loving the nemesis system, it really does recreate that feeling of multiplayer rivalry, in single player. Really impressed thus far.

I will say that although the graphics are good, it still feels more cross gen than current hen native. Hoping this sells a bucket load so we can see a sequel.

Finally I can start branding orcs! Having fun with that already, bumped into three captains one after another just after finishing the tutorial for it.

I was also looking through the upgrade menu and it looks like one of the high level abilities lets you activate a power that gives you unlimited executions for 20 seconds.

Moff

Finally I can start branding orcs! Having fun with that already, bumped into three captains one after another just after finishing the tutorial for it.

I was also looking through the upgrade menu and it looks like one of the high level abilities lets you activate a power that gives you unlimited executions for 20 seconds.

there is an ability like that for every weapon, I went for those first actually

valkyre

So, has the game enough variety and gameplay diversity to hold you through to the end?

Because a lot of the reviews claim that the story is pretty mediocre.

Does the game get repetitive over time?

So, has the game enough variety and gameplay diversity to hold you through to the end?

Because a lot of the reviews claim that the story is pretty mediocre.

Does the game get repetitive over time?

Read the giantbomb review. The game keeps getting better over time.

He was essentially unkillable in his spot he liked to hide out at. However.... turns out he was a War Chief's bitch, and when I went to go kill the War Chief, he was with him in a different spot. This time there was a bonfire. This was the result.

The feeling of satisfaction has never been greater.

Good for you, man. I noticed his head is still on his shoulders... you know what that means, right?

He should go down quickly via headshots, shouldn't he?

Honestly,I think one of my favorite things was when I was just running around and I randomly checked Sauron's Army. I see that a spot I had previously cleared had become occupied again by some guy whose motive was "Wants to hunt down Talion and show the other Uruks how it's done".

Turns out he was on the other side of the map. Normally I wouldn't bother but this guy wanted to make an example of ME? Nope.

So I run across the map and find him. I get intel real quick and turns out he gets instakilled by ranged headshot. I take out all archers surrounding his position and then jump down and let him and the orcs spot me. He's got like 15 orcs around him and they all go RAAAAWR and charge me while he like yells at them or some stupid uruk shit. So I stand there, pull out my bow and headshot the git right in his ugly face. He dies and I shit you not,all the orcs turn around in shock, see him dead and RUN AWAY SCREAMING.

EXAMPLE.

FUCKING.

MADE.

image.php

DOWN

Banned
Hate to keep posting this question, but nobody is answering: anyone else having the sort of popping or chop occasionally in the audio on PS4?

noomi

Thinking about ps4 instead of pc this time.... can anyone say how the ps4 textures compares to ultra on the PC?

Last page's discussion about difficulty (easy for some, hard for others) confirms the mistake of not having a simple difficulty selector.

I think play style plays a big part. The game is easier the stealthier you play it. Staying in the shadows and picking off tons of Uruks and/or luring out captains from their relatively safe positions makes most of them pretty easy work. It's more time consuming that way, but anyone skilled in stealth games will be able to take this approach and make most encounters massively easier.

If you're more of a charge in and kill things sort of person, the game is noticably harder. Personally, I play a very middle-of-the-road style where I thin the herd (especially of nasty archers) but I don't spend so much time that an encounter doubles or triples in time it should normally take.

Enco

I don't like how missions work.

You go to a marker to initiate one and then you kinda get transported to a different version of the world. After the mission, you're returned back to the normal map but uruku/orcs are spawned back.

Seems disjointed.

1. Save some slaves + kill loads of bad guys
2. Mission ends and bad guys have respawned and slaves disappeared

BY2K

Membero Americo
So how much VRAM am I gonna need to run the game max settings (no Ultra textures) @1080p? The 6GB is scaring me. (I mean I have a 7970, after all.)

Arment

Love this game. I feel like it could explain some combat mechanics better early on but still amazing.

I haven't wanted the work day to pass fast so I can go home and game since my WoW days.

So how much VRAM am I gonna need to run the game max settings (no Ultra textures) @1080p? The 6GB is scaring me. (I mean I have a 7970, after all.)

I run high textures (recommended 3GB Vram) on my 7870 which as 2GB with no issues/stuttering. Many people are reporting running Ultra on 4GB without any issues either.

What framerate are we talking about, here? 30 constant?

The difference between medium and high on textures alone on my PC is less than 5fps (benchmarking 45fps, in game it stays considerably higher even in big battles at 50-55 with it on high). I have never seen the game dip below 40 (mostly a mix of med-high settings with blur options disabled because it gives me motion sickness).

People complain about unoptimized PC ports, this is not one of them. They did a great job IMO performance wise.

rybrad

What a pity, I really couldn't stand the battle system in Batman. An exaggerated comparison would be that it felt like a bunch of tiny quick time events
For what it's worth, I could never get into the Batman combat but this feels much better to me.

bcl0328

Thinking about ps4 instead of pc this time.... can anyone say how the ps4 textures compares to ultra on the PC?

well supposedly high on PC = console graphics, but people are also saying there isn't much difference between ultra and high. plus your PC might not even be able to handle ultra. i tried using the HD textures on ultra with a GTX 680 SC and had to switch down to ultra high.

Top Bottom