• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Scottiths

Banned
so does the game explain how the captains or whatever you kill come back to life?

I havent played the game by the way, its just something that is bothering me
The captains stay dead. Only the player returns to life and it is explained

One of my captions is nigh invulnerable though. Immune to stealth, range, and combat expert (takes less damage). He is also immune to combat finishers. Only weakness is fire, but I don't really have a way to hit him with it reliably.

Decided to make a vendetta mission about killing a power 5 captain his name was Lugnak the tiny , it was easy but now Lugnak keeps challenging me , i feel so bad cause he is so weak, been like 4 times that i "killed" him

Also who was the gaffer that created that tank with the poison lance, that captain killed me with one hit lmao

Hey guys when can you perform combat finishers? Do you have to reach a certain combo multiplier?

I sometimes get prompts saying I can do one and sometimes not.

SJRB

Gold Member
QTE are BS ughhhhhhh I freakin had that stupid captain but now im sad

I agree. It would've been fine if the button prompts weren't randomized.

Hey guys when can you perform combat finishers? Do you have to reach a certain combo multiplier?

I sometimes get prompts saying I can do one and sometimes not.

I believe it's 10 hits. Keep an eye on the top left screen, if the number of hits turn red you can use the combat finisher.

ZeroX03

Banned
One of my captions is nigh invulnerable though. Immune to stealth, range, and combat expert (takes less damage). He is also immune to combat finishers. Only weakness is fire, but I don't really have a way to hit him with it reliably.

You can't bait him toward fire? That's what I did to a captain who was only vulnerable to explosions, had him chase me, put an explosive between us and boom!

xBladeM6x

I've made a huge mistake letting this asshole get out of hand.

241930_2014_10_01_00001_by_xbladem6x-d8166r8.png

JackDT

I haven't died yet -- is there any way to tweak the difficulty in the .INI files or something? It's really easy to run away and heal in every battle so far.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love this game. The random events are just so awesome. I went from raining on some Captain's feast to an all out brawl with 4 other Captains joining in at random. So good. One Orc just will not stay dead. Uruthk the Drunk or something. I've stabbed him, burned him, snapped his neck and now his face is completely covered in rags with eye slits but he just keeps on coming back! lol

xBladeM6x

Good lord... what is even going to hurt him besides fire?

God help you

Yeah that's kind of fucked.

Which shows the brilliance of the system. If you fail to kill a captain or War Chief, it only gets harder.

What have you done.

Looks just like my problem except yours is not also immune to combat finishers :p

The worst part is, there's no bonfires for me to explode near him, so I'm literally at a loss as how to kill this guy. As awesome as this is, I really hope Wraith Fire Arrows will terrify him, otherwise, I'm about to get fucking wrecked the rest of this game. Lol

Altima

Fuck Khrosh the biter. How can I kill him ? He has endless ridiculously quick regeneration.

Why the game told me to press A when it did nothing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Had a duel between two guys right under a nest, so I shot it down and saw one run away in fear making the other one automatically win. Checking the roster now, his motive now says "worried that another captain saw him flee from a swarm of biting flies", lolllll.

Corpekata

Banned
I haven't had any orcs return to haunt me. For those that did, when they reappeared were they the shadow, unknown orcs on the Nemesis map or did they simply stay in place? Were they shown as dead the entire time until you stumbled upon them?

I know decapitation is supposed to be the final cure but I haven't really done it to many so curious why I'm not seeing any return. Are there definitive moves that always kill them? I've interrogated a lot of them, and while those are usually pretty brutal finishers, I haven't see many actual decapitations.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Someone else suggested deliberately dying a few times to level up the orcs. Does that mean players who are having a hard time and dying a lot are facing a harder game than those who haven't died?

They actually are... I've been running through this game killing captains left and right... wish this game would be more difficult, but seems convoluted dying multiple times to level up captains so you can make the game harder!

xBladeM6x

Someone else suggested deliberately dying a few times to level up the orcs. Does that mean players who are having a hard time and dying a lot are facing a harder game than those who haven't died?

Advance time about 2-4 times, and you'll notice a big spike in difficulty.

Corpekata

Banned

Not really. Levelling up an orc often lets in more lower level ones to be promoted so there's always going to be around 5 or so low level ones to kill that people can go after if they're having a hard time.

I turned off a lot of the hud stuff- the combat indicators and the enemy outlines. Makes the game more immersive and fun, try it out.

You still get enough visual cues to play effectively

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
My youngest son accidentally purchased this via PS4 and i had no prior knowledge or interest in the game at all but, man, SO good.

Only played 3-4 hours, but some of the moments (largely organic, i may add) have been fantastic. the combat has that "warpy animation screwing" batman thing going on but it's still fun and nothing beats combofinishing in the middle of a swarm of uruks, or a saving critical hit (albeit QTE style)

Only had one captain get out of control, he made it to level 16 or so and i decided to nip it in the bud before it got worse and took him out.

Dredd97

Damn you GAF, damn you!

I had no intention of buying this game this year as finances are tight, but bollocks! After reading this thread I've just pre ordered it for PS4 ;)

I love you GAF! :D

I've made a huge mistake letting this asshole get out of hand.

I had a guy like that. He had coward in his name and he was indeed afraid of everything but also immune to just about everything as well. I ended up kiting him to the cave with a graug in it. After spotting the graug he was about to leg it so I pinned his foot to the floor and let the monster do its job.

-Deimos

The worst part is, there's no bonfires for me to explode near him, so I'm literally at a loss as how to kill this guy. As awesome as this is, I really hope Wraith Fire Arrows will terrify him, otherwise, I'm about to get fucking wrecked the rest of this game. Lol

What if you get him by himself, can you still stun him and chip away at his health?

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
So, I can either get this game on PS4, Xbox One or PC. My PC has a HD 7970 3Gb video card. I will probably be playing it in 2560X1440P on my PC. I want to play in 60 FPS, and would turn down almost anything to get there. Do you think the PS4 version or PC version will end up looking better on my setup?

A couple pages back someone suggested draining pesky captains like 3 times or so as I think that hurts them

So, I can either get this game on PS4, Xbox One or PC. My PC has a HD 7970 3Gb video card. I will probably be playing it in 2560X1440P on my PC. I want to play in 60 FPS, and would turn down almost anything to get there. Do you think the PS4 version or PC version will end up looking better on my setup?

If your priority is to enjoy the game at 60fps I'm certain you should go with the PC version

Yeah, use wraith drain on him. Alternatively, don't be scared to sic a beast on him anyway - they won't last but still whittle him down. Especially good if you can break open a few cages or lure a Graug over and keep him occupied before charging in with your own steed. Carragors are crazy fast and you can dart in and out with bite attacks... or keep him stunned with wraith-enhanced vaults while your blue-eyed beast goes to town. Pushing/tossing him off a height also works on many of these hardened captains.

Nothing is impossible. Creative thinking trumps twitch in this game.

Solidsoul

Banned
Is it to early for a Shadow of Mordor story spoilers thread? What about a "What would you like to see for a Middle-Earth: Mordor's End (Sequel or rather)" thread? These are some conversations i'd like to have!

Wait, isn't the consensus here that the game is too easy?

Yea, all the DS fanboys and Arkham zealots were bashing this game for that. I immediately could see that this game would require some strategy after I got pwned by some Orc captain with flys all around him. He is looking out for me and I can't find a fucking fire to injure him with. So soo good game..

Bit off more than I could chew around a campfire.

Lured all the enemies around it, aimed my bow in the middle of the fire, then kaboom. Burnt orc everywhere.

Shadow of Mordor = Most original game this generation! It's surely to set a standard in gameplay now. I seriously doubt FC4 and AC:Unity will be able to match the fun factor of this game!

Yeah so I kind of died like 3 times in a row [Caragors, every frickin' time]

And now the captains are getting a bit long in the tooth

Also made a nemesis. He keeps popping his head up and I keep killing him. His face is so badly scarred now lol, poor thing

I rode a caragor from one end of the map to the other to get to a forge tower and in the journey killed that same guy, my nemesis, at least 3 times. Was hilarious

valkyre

Short question that really will affect whether i will invest in this game now or later.

Is there enough gameplay diversity, or is it just hack and slash gameplay with stealth options?

I mean are missions interesting and fresh as you go along the way, or are they just the usual stuff that ends up being repetitive after the original wow factor of the combat starts to fade?

I really like what I see with this game, but I am afraid that all the talk about uninteresting missions and story will make me find the gameplay repeptitive or not enough to hold me.

Because to me, if you dont have an interesting story, then you better have a killer gameplay experience that stays fresh with mission design/variety, to compensate.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom