• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

What framerate are we talking about, here? 30 constant?

Some pictures.

DPWcjLK.png

HrikFFi.png

As anyone can tell you, the min and max FPS doesn't mean anything as the benchmark is buggy. I'd even be cautious about the average FPS because of it. Fraps was showing me mostly sitting at 50fps in the benchmark, and as I said in game the frame rate is usually even better.

With the 7970 you may even be able to run it using Ultra, if not the difference between high and ultra in textures is very low.

(edit) when I say the benchmark is buggy, I mean it's reading. Not the actual performance on the benchmark which is smooth as silk.

(edit 2) Here's the actual video captured. Lost 2-5fps in some areas due to the recording software still used the settings above at 1080p, as you can see framerate is stable as heck with just a random spike at the beginning which threads off the whole min/max.

http://a.pomf.se/uwogfh.webm

So I interrupted a duel last night, and the surviving captain was being a chore, and surrounded by guards. I was working through the guards but my health was waning and things weren't looking great with the captain peppering me with spears and regening health.

Then two coragors attacked, scattering everyone. I ran up on a wall, dominated one of the coragors and ate the captain.

I love this fucking game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game's camera settings are so fucking bad.

Weird acceleration on the camera itself... makes precision difficult. But constantly having to fight against it wanting to take control away is quite annoying.

I didn't realize this game was ripping off so much tired crap from Assassin's Creed.

No jog on the analog? I don't know if there's any mechanic in gaming that is more annoying.

Combat so far is just okay. We'll see if upgrades make it more interesting, but right now it's just Batman AA at 45% and a bunch of gore thrown in.

The nemesis system is genius and I love it, even though it kind of interrupts the flow of the game. But who cares since this story if crap anyway, and the game interrupts itself every two seconds with YOU GAINED XP GO HERE ON THE MAP THERES AN HERB YOU NEED.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
anyone know if there are different control options? I'd really like to switch the run and crouch buttons but I'm not in a position to check right now.

actually, the traversal/climbing is the only thing I'm having any issues with so far. loving everything else about the game.

I feel like people aren't talking enough about the world. How is it? Is there a lot of nice environmental variety? Interesting architecture and geography? Is it fun to explore?

I love playing open world games with a beautiful, well realized world but even with all the coverage I've seen of this game I still feel like I'm in the dark on that aspect.

I feel like people aren't talking enough about the world. How is it? Is there a lot of nice environmental variety? Interesting architecture and geography? Is it fun to explore?

I love playing open world games with a beautiful, well realized world but even with all the coverage I've seen of this game I still feel like I'm in the dark on that aspect.

I've only explored the first area (I know of the second but not how or when to access it) and it's rather samey. There is plenty to do in it, but it's mostly wasteland and ruins.

Drazgul

Man, Tûrog the Guardian can go fuck himself. Somehow 3(!) other captains popped up when I started fighting him, and he summons more regular orcs, and one of them runs off to raise the stronghold alarm and summon some more.

Spineker

Banned

After about 5 hours of gameplay and discovery of all the Anvil Towers, I can safely say the environments are the most disappointing part of this game. The entire map could pass for a procedurally generated environment itself, everything looks so similar and copy pasted.

The Black Gate of Mordor is pretty much the only unique form of architecture in the whole map. My complaints about the world aside, it's still an awesome game. The Nemesis system and combat mechanics are good enough on their own to make it a great game.

GRaider81

Its in the shadow of mordor. It isn't pretty.

It is fun to explore though.

I'd say this game would be better (to me at least) as a pure sandbox - with randomly generated areas and Nemesis system. All of the other elements are pretty bland and boring - starting with story and ending with useless collectibles and xp bars cluttering your screen.

Experien

Played the game for about 7 hours last night and only did like 3 of the story missions...

I don't hate the game but I can see faults people have with this SoM. I especially got annoyed when one Captain kept getting more powerful cause he happened to be in the area when I died. He got up to level 20 and had like NO vulnerabilities. Such a disappointment when he didn't drop an epic. Feels a bit too hard to increase your power unless Story Missions help out.

I am a little confused by the Warchiefs. It says as a hint to kill his body guards before facing him but his body guards only appear when they do...so am I just supposed to focus on them first?

Combat is cool but feels like you can't kill anyone unless you do a finishing move which is quite annoying especially in big groups. It does look cool when you are in a big group though but then you can't really do moves since while in the middle of a combo/fury attack, enemies will attack you and you have to interrupt it.

It isn't bad but I'm finding annoyances here and there. I think I am only disappointed because all of the recent hype but next play time will be exclusively story missions.

Also, GiantBomb said the climbing was amazing and better than A.Creed. If that is better than Creed climbing, I NEVER want to play an A.Creed game. Unless you just want to go straight up a wall/building, it is troubling to get him to do what you want fluidly.

Lord Phol

I'd say this game would be better (to me at least) as a pure sandbox - with randomly generated areas and Nemesis system. All of the other elements are pretty bland and boring - starting with story and ending with useless collectibles and xp bars cluttering your screen.

While I agree that a more fleshed out sandbox world would definetly help (come on sequel) I actually enjoy hearing the characters talk and finding collectables that share some interesting lore nuggets of the Tolkien universe. I like the idea of just being thrown into the world having to find out what's going on bit by bit by yourself. Everything from the dialogue on the loading screens to the Ranger/Wraith dialogue whenever you find a new artifact and unlock its memory.

cackhyena

Played the game for about 7 hours last night and only did like 3 of the story missions...

I don't hate the game but I can see faults people have with this SoM. I especially got annoyed when one Captain kept getting more powerful cause he happened to be in the area when I died. He got up to level 20 and had like NO vulnerabilities. Such a disappointment when he didn't drop an epic. Feels a bit too hard to increase your power unless Story Missions help out.

I am a little confused by the Warchiefs. It says as a hint to kill his body guards before facing him but his body guards only appear when they do...so am I just supposed to focus on them first?

Combat is cool but feels like you can't kill anyone unless you do a finishing move which is quite annoying especially in big groups. It does look cool when you are in a big group though but then you can't really do moves since while in the middle of a combo/fury attack, enemies will attack you and you have to interrupt it.

It isn't bad but I'm finding annoyances here and there. I think I am only disappointed because all of the recent hype but next play time will be exclusively story missions.

Also, GiantBomb said the climbing was amazing and better than A.Creed. If that is better than Creed climbing, I NEVER want to play an A.Creed game. Unless you just want to go straight up a wall/building, it is troubling to get him to do what you want fluidly.
You can kill everyone just hacking away if you don't get to do finishing moves. It may take a while, but they do go down from normal swings eventually. Sometimes it's all you can do when surrounded by so many. I'd rather have it that way than every Orc just standing there, letting you gut his bro.

As far as the AC climbing comparison, I personally wouldn't say it's better. Last one I played was 3, but I remember that flowing a little better. Luckily, AC Unity looks to rectify some things that have been wrong with that system since day one.

Vestal

Love the game so far on my Xbone.

My 1 complaint so far is the fucking camera, its either too constrained or to fucking slow.

The no jog with analog stick can get annoying though.

Moff

no, there is a blue line that connects the warchief with his bodyguards in the overview. so you can kill/brand the bodyguards before the encounter.

After about 5 hours of gameplay and discovery of all the Anvil Towers, I can safely say the environments are the most disappointing part of this game. The entire map could pass for a procedurally generated environment itself, everything looks so similar and copy pasted.

The Black Gate of Mordor is pretty much the only unique form of architecture in the whole map. My complaints about the world aside, it's still an awesome game. The Nemesis system and combat mechanics are good enough on their own to make it a great game.
Thanks, good to know. I'm still excited to play the game but it's a shame the world isn't more interesting.

IvorB

Not at all.. the game is very challenging. It all depends on the situation.

I'd say it's a bit of a learning curve figuring out how to manage the big fights and weaknesses, after that you have a choice in the difficulty by how you play. You can let the fights get massive and thus need more consistent performance and you can keep letting rivals level up and you can skip Intel, making it a lot more difficult.

To me, it's a great balance and I definitely think your confidence will cause you to die a handful of times in some confrontations at least before you've spent many hours upping your skills and weapons.

Thanks. I'm kinda leaning towards getting it now to be honest. I'll have a lot of free time on my hands soon so it should fill the gap. Plus I need some next gen newness and a fresh set of pixels on my TV.

MAX PAYMENT

Fuck you Uggu the pit fighter. You're invulnerable to basically everything. And show up and ruin half of my attempts to kill other captains. And somehow.... Just somehow you are always the mother fucker that lands the last hit on me. You are currently at max level, far higher than any war chief.

But one day. You will be mine.

I wasn't going to get this yet as I'm still playing Destiny and Trials Fusion, but I just finished watching the quick look and holy shit! Just ordered it from Amazon.

I thought it was already out though, expected to play tomorrow night after work, but Friday night will have to do.

So do I! Especially when it comes to the X prompts from the big shield guys...

My controller lag just feels generally sluggish. Like panning the camera or turning. like if I turn left there is a rather uncomfortable lag with Talion turning left.

I was looking forward to this but don't know why it feels so sluggish.

I've turned off my controller and even reset it.

Vitor711

Some pictures.

As anyone can tell you, the min and max FPS doesn't mean anything as the benchmark is buggy. I'd even be cautious about the average FPS because of it. Fraps was showing me mostly sitting at 50fps in the benchmark, and as I said in game the frame rate is usually even better.

With the 7970 you may even be able to run it using Ultra, if not the difference between high and ultra in textures is very low.

(edit) when I say the benchmark is buggy, I mean it's reading. Not the actual performance on the benchmark which is smooth as silk.

(edit 2) Here's the actual video captured. Lost 2-5fps in some areas due to the recording software still used the settings above at 1080p, as you can see framerate is stable as heck with just a random spike at the beginning which threads off the whole min/max.

http://a.pomf.se/uwogfh.webm

Can confirm that the benchmark was a mess for me too. FRAPS was showing a completely different number. And I mean off by like 10 frames.

And, for me, the benchmark was overly optimistic. Got 75 average but in game hovers closer to the 50 mark.

Aces&Eights

I think you can change the button map in the options screen if anyone is curious. Using X for run after years of AC is just not intuitive. I saw the option last night but didn't mess with it as i was already past my bedtime with this damn game lol. Can anyone confirm this can be done?

mdsfx

Running down a captain who was running from me in fear, even though I had little life left. Another captain who killed me 3 hours ago appears, "Is this a bad time?" (Smirking).
Yes, yes it is you ugly motherf*cker.

Cutting off his head was satisfying.

Mad1723

Running down a captain who was running from me in fear, even though I had little life left. Another captain who killed me 3 hours ago appears, "Is this a bad time?" (Smirking).
Yes, yes it is you ugly motherf*cker.

Cutting off his head was satisfying.

That's what makes this game so interesting, those nemesis and memories they have are just giving some meaning to the fights. It's awesome! :)

Ricker

So is there a point to keep going if you die a lot at the beginning and all the Orcs keep getting stronger over and over...I just feel like I am wasting my time and will never amount to anything in this game the way its going now...

Almost cleared a camp earlier,it was going well but those Caragors appeared and even though I can ride them I couldnt get to mount one so I ran out of there and decided to unlock one of the fast travel towers near the next story mission,I see a captain or whatever(the ones you make the skull appear over their heads with R3)...at one point he is alone under a bridge so I decide to go at him but after a few seconds about 10 other orcs join the fight...they werent even on the radar or anything...so I die again and resurrect way over at the other tower,a bunch of Orcs get stronger and I feel like shit...no game before this one makes you feel like complete shit when you die...

So at this point should I start over or am I just making the game harder and harder by keeping going after each deaths...?

leng jai

This game went from too easy to too hard very quickly. Is there any reason for 5 other captains showing up in the middle of a fight randomly?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Goddamn, this game, man.

Alright, so an Uruk managed to piggyback kill me and got promoted to captain and gloats about it. That's a surefire way to get in my crosshairs, so I gather intel on his weaknesses and I go after him. Just as I have him on his knees, begging for mercy, a second captain decides to chime in on the conversation and he and his companions attack me. The original Uruk decides this is a good time to escape, I clear a line of sight, draw and shoot his foot to pin him down. I take the party to him so I can keep him close, kill the second band of Uruks and turn my attention to him. I can smell his fear, grin a smile from ear to ear, and check his weakness; arrows. I draw and I let one off in his face. I walk away with a satisfaction I rarely sense in videogames other than the last-minute goals in FIFA finals.

This game went from too easy to too hard very quickly. Is there any reason for 5 other captains showing up in the middle of a fight randomly?

They were on their after-tea morning stroll.

Top Bottom