• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Unbelievable.

This makes that Lord of Shadows 2 Trailer = Rapelay article seem sensible in contrast.

Such a thing shouldn't be possible. Is there a contest to see who can make the most hackneyed something out of nothing gaming article?

EDIT: I'm also pretty sure that SOM is not the first game to teach part of its mechanics by using every day settings and scenarios.

Patroclos

Banned
Minor thing from the quick look, the slow-motion view of the Uruk's when you analyse them in battle looks fucking awesome.

Can they get hit in that state, or does the background become window-dressing?

Yeah. it's awesome when it's a hunter or stalker and they are a couple hundred feet away and running straight at you. You have that moment like, Fuck, here comes this bastard again. do I get out of here, fight, what?

The tutorial also teaches you combat while fighting with your son. I think that the family element to learning deadly moves in the tutorial is interesting, and doesn't need to be criticized or over-analyzed by someone in a rush to write an article for the next day.

Kissing your wife instead of stealth killing an orc is just a nice way to get the control input down. You'll be killing orcs by the barrel full by the time you get to the real game, it was a smart decision to differentiate the tutorial in some minor way.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/1/6880061/shadow-mordor-kissing-design

raneby.gif

Wow...wow.

Okay, I have to ask, is this article written as a parody? I mean I read it... but it cannot be serious, can it?

DJwest

The impressions in this OT are absolutely amazing. I wanted to wait til Witcher 3 drops but I might cave in an buy a PS4 now. Keep them coming guys!

Salvatron

Wow is right.

The developers likely thought this was a good time to poke fun at boring tutorials with a joke, which, fair enough, some people who I respect enjoyed, although I’m curious if that enjoyment was sarcastic or sincere.

They weren't poking fun to me. I thought it was a unique way to A. bring us into the story quickly and B. introduce mechanics. Which I thought they succeeded in doing with flying colors. It was concise and clever.

lionpants

The best thing about that ridiculous Polygon article are some of the brain-washed idiots in the comments.

I thought nothing of that scene, except that it was adorable. How the **** does it "ruin the enjoyment of the beginning of the game", give me a break. Some of their writers make me physically ill.

Now, when I think back to that scene, I'll be thinking about this article. They ruined it. Depressing.

Zeliard

That Into the Pit challenge (kill 50 orcs that relentlessly group around you, with a bonus for hitting a 100x combo) w/o any button prompts was good times.

Much like with Batman, anyone who values difficulty with these games should turn button/FX prompts, enemy outlines, and the like completely off. Makes it that much more meaningful to pay proper attention to enemy animations when you're surrounded by 20 fools, instead of waiting for the shiny prompt. You also don't get the anti-counter prompt if there's a captain with that sort of attack, so paying attention to intel becomes more important.

I've been playing about three hours now, really liking it. I don't mind how narrowly focussed it is, it's kinda refreshing to not have to chat with a lot of NPCs and solve puzzles.

Sometimes it's fun just to kick ass- loving the stealth as well; as simple as it is.

One thing I love is when you do a finishing move on a downed enemy and then someone else attacks you if you hit the 'counter' button the main character seamlessly transitions from his finishing move to the counter. It looks extremely natural.

And I've said it before- don't be afraid to try turning off the button cues during combat. It makes it more immersive, and the game gives you enough visual cues to know when to counter without needing big buttons floating in the air- give it a shot!

Gaz_RB

That Into the Pit challenge (kill 50 orcs that relentlessly group around you, with a bonus for hitting a 100x combo) w/o any button prompts was good times.

Much like with Batman, anyone who values difficulty with these games should turn button/FX prompts, enemy outlines, and the like completely off. Makes it that much more meaningful to pay proper attention to enemy animations when you're surrounded by 20 fools, instead of waiting for the shiny prompt. You also don't get the anti-counter prompt if there's a captain with that sort of attack, so paying attention to intel becomes more important.

Yeah that challenge was a blast. I hope there are challenges like Batman, that would be awesome. Is that what Trials of War is?

Totally agree. Unlike Batman though, I don't think turning these things off makes the game that much more difficult. Game does a great job of subtle visual clues

lionpants

One thing I love is when you do a finishing move on a downed enemy and then someone else attacks you if you hit the 'counter' button the main character seamlessly transitions from his finishing move to the counter. It looks extremely natural.
There have been numerous times I've been wowed by how smooth the animation transitions are. From countering, to the brutal finishers, to the downed finishers, to jumping over dudes. Very well done.

Is the camera control good enough to keep a decent view of the enemies within range to be countered? If it is I'll turn prompts off

hbkdx12

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but everytime i read something silly like the overanalyzation of the kissing thing, it just makes me think of the Ken Levine quote about how too much criticism is the thing that will kill this industry

I can sort of see what he's getting at, but I vehemently disagree that Mordor gets it wrong. I think a key element is being missed here, namely the fact that the entire tutorial is a series of hard swings between the mundane and the violent. I'll spoiler tag them, but the intro is basically as follows:

-Talion finds his son's sword, broken by an Uruk's counterattack
-Family moment where Talion teaches his son about countering blows.

-Talion tells his son "you're not a soldier yet"
-Talion's son is forced into real combat during the attack

-Sneak up on your wife to give her flowers and kiss her
-Sneak up on the Uruks hunting for your wife to kill them

And this is, honestly, the biggest one, the line that should really hammer home why the tutorial is the way it is:

-After sneaking up on her, Talion insists that they'll move "soon," which his wife playfully mocks. She then says something to the effect of "you've been saying that forever"
-Right before being murdered, she says "We'll be together soon, my love. Forever"

While I agree that using the same animations might not totally be the best idea, I feel like this article misses some of the story here. Mordor isn't exactly literature, but the opening is a nice little series of dichotomies presented as a tutorial.

Kinthalis

Banned
The kissing article is the stupidest thing I've read on the internet all mother effing year. And I visit some pretty stupid sites.

Zeliard

Totally agree. Unlike Batman though, I don't think turning these things off makes the game that much more difficult. Game does a great job of subtle visual clues

I don't think it makes it significantly more difficult or anything - especially if you have experience with Batman's combat rhythm - but it does make slipping up a bit more likely if you're not fully engaged.

Is the camera control good enough to keep a decent view of the enemies within range to be countered? If it is I'll turn prompts off

It's generally fine in my experience.

BouncyFrag

I've been playing about three hours now, really liking it. I don't mind how narrowly focussed it is, it's kinda refreshing to not have to chat with a lot of NPCs and solve puzzles.

Sometimes it's fun just to kick ass- loving the stealth as well; as simple as it is.

And I've said it before- don't be afraid to try turning off the button cues during combat. It makes it more immersive, and the game gives you enough visual cues to know when to counter without needing big buttons floating in the air- give it a shot!
At first I was annoyed that I could get hit during finshers (Arkham games have spoiled me in this regard), but when I did a seamless counter, even though it stopped the finisher, it was great. I've still got a lot of the mechanics to work out but that's part of the fun. I'll give turning off prompts a go. Like Batman the challenge is in playing with style and looking like a boss rather than spamming the same moves over and over again even if it was easier.

There have been numerous times I've been wowed by how smooth the animation transitions are. From countering, to the brutal finishers, to the downed finishers, to jumping over dudes. Very well done.

Specifically I like how if you get attacked by the second orc before you have a chance to complete the finishing move and you then hit the counter button, you'll just transition to killing the attacker and the guy on the ground won't die. But the game doesn't punish you for attempting the finishing move that you ended up not being able to see to completion. Such a small touch that I appreciate a lot.

I can sort of see what he's getting at, but I vehemently disagree that Mordor gets it wrong. I think a key element is being missed here, namely the fact that the entire tutorial is a series of hard swings between the mundane and the violent. I'll spoiler tag them, but the intro is basically as follows:

-Talion finds his son's sword, broken by an Uruk's counterattack
-Family moment where Talion teaches his son about countering blows.

-Talion tells his son "you're not a soldier yet"
-Talion's son is forced into real combat during the attack

-Sneak up on your wife to give her flowers and kiss her
-Sneak up on the Uruks hunting for your wife to kill them

And this is, honestly, the biggest one, the line that should really hammer home why the tutorial is the way it is:

-After sneaking up on her, Talion insists that they'll move "soon," which his wife playfully mocks. She then says something to the effect of "you've been saying that forever"
-Right before being murdered, she says "We'll be together soon, my love. Forever"

While I agree that using the same animations might not totally be the best idea, I feel like this article misses some of the story here. Mordor isn't exactly literature, but the opening is a nice little series of dichotomies presented as a tutorial.

Thanks for posting this. I was having a hard time writing a rebuttal post that wasn't rooted in semantics.

You know, it gets easier if you further progress into the game.

BRAND FOR YOU AND YOU AND YOU AND YOU AS WELL. Oh your a Captain with a shitload of squads? BRANDED!!.

Now sit back relax and enjoy whilst the whole squad is ganging up on the captain

At first I was annoyed that I could get hit during finshers (Arkham games have spoiled me in this regard), but when I did a seamless counter, even though it stopped the finisher, it was great. I've still got a lot of the mechanics to work out but that's part of the fun. I'll give turning off prompts a go. Like Batman the challenge is in playing with style and looking like a boss rather than spamming the same moves over and over again even if it was easier.

Even when you turn the prompts off there's still a very noticeable white flash over the attackers head when you're meant to counter, so it's not like you're looking for subtle 'tells'.

I turned off the outlines and the icons over the enemies heads that indicate their state of awareness as well. I find it all adds to the immersion, but that's just me. I usually try to free my screen from as much clutter as possible.

I thought that opening scene was pretty cute. Hahaha, fucking Polygon. Funny how the site that was supposed to 'change' or be the 'best' of games journalism is the absolute worst.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This article has to be a satire piece. I mean I don't even own the game but I saw the intro in Boogie2998's video so I'm aware of the scene he is talking about. I actually thought the scene was well done and pretty cool? Who is this Zach guy who wrote this piece? Because I think he may have a few more issues than the tutorial in SoM does...

He made Ridiculous Fishing.

adj_noun

This game really is a great Arkham game. I keep imagining how they could incorporate Nemesis into Batman.

There's the usuals breaking out of Arkham, sure, but it'd be sweet to see "normal" crooks start to get a following and either become mob bosses in their own right or, if they were mentally unstable, becoming minor Bat villains themselves.

I guess you'd have to come up with a reason they're not killing Bats when they defeat him though.

Loakum

Banned

Patroclos

Banned

Jesus. The near daily Polygon article regarding Females in gaming or violence in gaming. I puke in my mouth every time. By the way, I am not saying there is not a place for these discussions. Polygon seems more intent on click bait and their "concern" about these topics is starting to become way too over the top.

I am not the type of person to hate things and certainly not people but damn. I'm tryin', Polygon. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

ryanmac

Banned
That Polygon article is a microcosm of why I removed them from my bookmarks and Facebook feed. Unbearable. It was like reading an article on the Onion.

IvorB

This article has to be a satire piece. I mean I don't even own the game but I saw the intro in Boogie2998's video so I'm aware of the scene he is talking about. I actually thought the scene was well done and pretty cool? Who is this Zach guy who wrote this piece? Because I think he may have a few more issues than the tutorial in SoM does...

He's talking about the engagement with the player through game control so you watching the scene on YouTube doesn't really give you any insight I'm afraid.

This game really is a great Arkham game. I keep imagining how they could incorporate Nemesis into Batman.

There's the usuals breaking out of Arkham, sure, but it'd be sweet to see "normal" crooks start to get a following and either become mob bosses in their own right or, if they were mentally unstable, becoming minor Bat villains themselves.

I guess you'd have to come up with a reason they're not killing Bats when they defeat him though.

On the Giant Bombcast last night Brad hinted that he had heard that this game started out as a Batman game. Wonder if that's true?

Top Bottom