• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Ramenman

I dont understand this at all

why do people only buy games if scores are high/others enjoy it

Everyone has a right to decide what to base their purchases on depending on how much money they decide to allow to said purchases.

Just like you have the right to not understand and proceed differently :p

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Everyone has a right to decide what to base their purchases on depending on how much money they decide to allow to said purchases.

Just like you have the right to not understand and proceed differently :p

It wasn't an attack, I was curious.

Korezo

What other choice is their if theres no trial or demo? I just pre purchased on steam just based off videos, I think thats worst than basing off reviews.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What other choice is their if theres no trial or demo? I just pre purchased on steam just based off videos, I think thats worst than basing off reviews.

actually thats true

the setting and videos is what's hyped me up

rybrad

Looking for reviews from reviewers (or peers) that you know you share similar tastes with you is definitely valuable. Using an arbitrary number from an aggregate, weighted average that doesn't even encompass all reviews is much less useful and something people "care" about way too much.

Stormus

You don't understand it at all? Sounds like an exaggeration.

It is not like I would base such a decision on one, or even a few people's opinions. Metacritic is a conglomerate of reviews from dozens of respected gaming journalist. If they all say a game blows, it in all likelihood does. Likewise if they all say it is good, it probably is. If the reviews are polarizing, then I probably owe it to myself to investigate a bit further and decide if I want to take a flyer on it.

It is not the deciding factor, but Metacritic is a useful tool for me. Just the way Rottentomatoes is for movies.

Huh? This is a great non-invasive HUD. It plays with the art of the game, but is super clean and not hideously colorful. Wish Dragon Age: Inquisition would fix theirs too.

What's a good HUD to you?

I guess Skyrim's HUD is fine if all you care about is aesthetics. To me, it is no good because, for example, you need to trawl through the megamenu to get to the status tab to figure out what is affecting you - that information should be readily available. There are other problems, but it's been a while since I've played Skyrim and I can't think of them offhand. (I'm still waiting for the illusive Dragonborn 75% off sale before diving in yet again.)

Skyrim certainly can have good HUDs, but that's thanks to mods, not Bethesda itself.

A good HUD needs to present all necessary information in an easy-to-use and precise manner. A shining example would be Civilization 5, which has everything you need to know present in the HUD at all times, as well as an added mode to increase the clarity of all the information that's being presented. Most importantly, the HUD informs you of everything as it happens, and even goes so far as to remind you if you're forgetting something. It does all of this while keeping ease-of-use at the forefront of its design, which is what I find the most impressive thing of all. Civ5's menu style has set the standard for 4X UI (in general) since it released.

SoM's HUD is overfull and busy, but at least (so far) it is presenting everything you need to know. There will probably be niggles about it that I realise after playing it, but right now there's not much to complain about.

JodokusK

The movies ARE boring.

They're competently made, but still dull as heck. It's weird- I read the books as a kid, and I love some other Peter Jackson movies, but the LOTR movies are torturous to get through. I've met other folks that agree with me.

Game does look cool though

Don't worry about members claiming how wrong you supposedly are. I like the first movie, but fell asleep during both the second and third one, seperate viewings. I like fantasy, I like sci-fi, I can enjoy movies with slow build-ups, that's not it; every LOTR-fan who tried to 'disprove' my opinion tried to find some arbitrary reason why I don't enjoy the movies, as if it was my failure. I'm quite the movie enthusiast and I just can't stand the LOTR movies (or the books, for that matter). I honestly think the story is really boring, predictable and overly padded.

You're not alone.

Still, the setting doesn't bother me at all and I've enjoyed both times I got to play the game. I'm really looking forward to this (and also hoping that it doesn't fall apart/disappoint me).

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Don't worry about members claiming how wrong you supposedly are. I like the first movie, but fell asleep during both the second and third one, seperate viewings. I like fantasy, I like sci-fi, I can enjoy movies with slow build-ups, that's not it; every LOTR-fan who tried to 'disprove' my opinion tried to find some arbitrary reason why I don't enjoy the movies, as if it was my failure. I'm quite the movie enthusiast and I just can't stand the LOTR movies (or the books, for that matter). I honestly think the story is really boring, predictable and overly padded.

You're not alone.

Still, the setting doesn't bother me at all and I've enjoyed both times I got to play the game. I'm really looking forward to this (and also hoping that it doesn't fall apart/disappoint me).

Can understand the book part, to me a badly written snore, however loved the movies. To each his own I say :)!

JodokusK

Can understand the book part, to me a badly written snore, however loved the movies. To each his own I say :)!

Oh yeah, totally. But some people react like it's impossible to not enjoy the LOTR movies. Just comes off as pompous, like some reactions in this topic as well. So I wanted to let Whoomp know he/she is not alone in this case :)

I like the Hobbit better than TLotR trilogy. Well, the books anyway, the movies are all decent enough I suppose, sorta like the old Herc and Xena shows where half the fun is checking out New Zealand.

I won't be following reviews, I'll be following impressions from certain gaffers, like most always.

You don't understand it at all? Sounds like an exaggeration.

It is not like I would base such a decision on one, or even a few people's opinions. Metacritic is a conglomerate of reviews from dozens of respected gaming journalist. If they all say a game blows, it in all likelihood does. Likewise if they all say it is good, it probably is.

This post is fucking serious?

I'm out

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Oh yeah, totally. But some people react like it's impossible to not enjoy the LOTR movies. Just comes off as pompous, like some reactions in this topic as well. So I wanted to let Whoomp know he/she is not alone in this case :)

Yeah that's crazy talk, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To me the movie Boyhood was a complete and utter waste of time, to others I imagine a masterpiece. Just lucky we get to enjoy what we love !

This post is fucking serious?

I'm out
He's not far from the truth though, where generally, games with good scores are actually good and bad are generally bad. It's not hard to see why someone would use a tool like that to make a decision. If it makes you feel any better I don't use it myself as I like to just do a bit of research myself and make my own decisions on to wether I'd like something or not. But their is no reason someone shouldn't use MC in conjunction with what they know they like to make an informed purchasing decision.

He's not far from the truth though, where generally, games with good scores are actually good and bad are generally bad. It's not hard to see why someone would use a tool like that to make a decision. If it makes you feel any better I don't use it myself as I like to just do a bit of research myself and make my own decisions on to wether I'd like something or not. But their is no reason someone shouldn't use MC in conjunction with what they know they like to make an informed purchasing decision.

I'm the type that if something interests me, even in the slightest then I am going to get it and judge it for myself because if I were to follow reviews I would have missed out on trying Deadly Premonition, Blur, Enslaved, Castlevania: LOS, Killer is Dead, Shadows of the Damned and much much more all of which I enjoyed alot in their own unique way, even if they had flaws.

If the majority of people think his opinion is wrong, then it is wrong.
The irony is going to kill me.

BouncyFrag

x_CQf9bxb_MXg_R.jpg

Fellowship is one of the GOAT blockbusters. Would take it over any comic book film for example.

Scust at gaming-side taste

Kinda wish they used some of Howard shore's soundtrack for this, no way whoever is composing this can do as good a job. Or at least the ring wraith theme

I find this generations emphasis on streaming to be a fantastic for this. Day one, this game is going to be all over live with PlayStation.

Braag

I rarely base my purchases on reviews since I've enjoyed a lot of games which got mixed reviews (60+ metascore) or at very least wait for a price drop and then give it a try if I'm doubtful.
But I have a really good feeling about this game cause from all the previews and gameplay vids I've seen it looks like a lot of fun, I like these type of games and I like lotr (books/movies).
I just hope the reviews are positive cause I know at the end of the day that's what most people will look at and judge the game by.

FrsDvl

This is probably goty material. We just won't know it till the reviews drop.

I'll eat my shoe if it averages under an 80.

This is probably goty material. We just won't know it till the reviews drop.

I'll eat my shoe if it averages under an 80.

If this is GotY material for most, it will be Game of a Lifetime for me. Lord of the Rings is my #1 favorite book and also #2 - #10 of my Top Ten List.

Has anyone here actually played the game? Just wanted to get an idea someone who's experienced it first hand.

Played it e3, gamecon, or at any convention, is what I mean.

People are going to be surprised by how good SoM is. This and Evolve are 2 games it's kind-of hard to "get" until you spend time with them. Then you're like "ooooooh."

meh.

game media hyped watch_dogs the first time they saw it. then afterwards they were all over titanfall and just telling us how we just don't understand it since we only watch vids and they were there behind closed doors playing the game.

i don't want the media telling me i want something and i just don't know it yet.

on the same note, i think mordor will be a good game. it isn't like people don't know about it or don't care so why is it that every single time the media always says, "this game will surprise people. i'm telling you, this game will be talked about." there is hype for this game, not to mention lotr fans will buy it.

If there was even a chance of many low scores we would not be seeing reviews until release day like almost every other release where publishers know they have a game that doesn't stand up to the hype. This game will average an 8.5 Metacritic at least, I'm sure of it, but doubters gonna doubt I guess. I've heard so many game reviewers talk about an upcoming game that's gonna really surprise people and I'm 99% sure they're all referring to Shadow of Mordor.

KingJolly

Banned
I'm the type that if something interests me, even in the slightest then I am going to get it and judge it for myself because if I were to follow reviews I would have missed out on trying Deadly Premonition, Blur, Enslaved, Castlevania: LOS, Killer is Dead, Shadows of the Damned and much much more all of which I enjoyed alot in their own unique way, even if they had flaws.

Dude you should totally buy Alien Colonial Marines and Big Rigs. Don't believe the haters

Top Bottom