• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

BouncyFrag

End of trailer:

"This game is the shitits!"

Voiced by Steve Blum...
...just before he passes out:
24212010_BZy50n_Lc.gif

At least its not release day.

Does anyone know if amazon requires 3 days or a week to get release day delivery for Primer members?

You'll get it the day of release in most cases. The amazon store page for the game also says release date delivery available (no extra charge from that either).

Also, I have placed a preorder two days before release and still gotten the game on release day.

BouncyFrag

So when do reviews usually drop? I can see myself clicking refresh from midnight onwards this friday on metacritic or the GAF review thread. I don't base a purchase on reviews alone, but they are usually a good indicator.

GavinUK86

I like the books more than the movies. That's not a quote from Tolkien iirc.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor
The phrase “One does not simply walk into Mordor” originates from a scene in Peter Jackson’s 2001 film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. In the scene, the Council of Elrond reveals that an evil ring must be destroyed by being thrown into the fires of Mount Doom, a volcano deep in the territory of Mordor. Boromir promptly points out the difficultly of the task by saying, “One does not simply walk into Mordor."

But they did, and so does Talion hence the "Boromir was wrong".

-Deimos

Thanks for the tip guys, I built this PC back in better days about 3 years ago now. It's the nicest thing I own and I love it dearly, but I know my 580 is getting old nowadays.

That said I don't think they'd let their cards go for the price of free, which is what I can afford.

We are Diamond Dogs.
MGSV HYPE! IT'S NOT OVER YET, BRRRROTHER

Your 580 will run the game smoothly on very high to medium at the very least. Even then the visuals will still be amazing. I know I'm going to have to crank down the AA a bit with my 670. You should still definitely pick this up, especially at $30.

Gala

Yessssssssssssssssssss. The release date in Germany was changed to the 2nd of October because of the national holiday! Can't wait to get it next thursday!

The movies ARE boring.

They're competently made, but still dull as heck. It's weird- I read the books as a kid, and I love some other Peter Jackson movies, but the LOTR movies are torturous to get through. I've met other folks that agree with me.

Game does look cool though

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The movies ARE boring.

They're competently made, but still dull as heck. It's weird- I read the books as a kid, and I love some other Peter Jackson movies, but the LOTR movies are torturous to get through. I've met other folks that agree with me.

We are all very impressed at your discerning taste

GavinUK86

The movies ARE boring.

I have to agree. I would love to rewatch them but no way am I sitting through 693 minutes of walking again.

They could of trimmed a lot of the fat and they would of been as good. Even the theatrical versions are too long.

I have to agree. I would love to rewatch them but no way am I sitting through 693 minutes of walking again.

They could of trimmed a lot of the fat and they would of been as good. Even the theatrical versions are too long.

You reminded me of last summer when I went through the movies again with my brother, all extended editions on bluray. Fantastic movies, we tackled movie a day and we put it at 12 - 1PM and get lost in the world only then to have the movie finish when the sun is no where to be seen lol.

garath

I'm tentatively excited about this game. It looks pretty awesome. Getting a 970 in a couple weeks which should run it extremely well. I also very much appreciate the $50 price tag on the PC version instead of the $60 upcharge just because.

Stitch

Gold Member
I've watched all the SEEs in one day. I will do it again one day ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Oh don't be too impressed, I assure you, I'm just like the rest of you. Please don't be nervous around me!

Lol. Seriously though your opinion is wrong, you should go and get it changed manually ;)

I've watched all the SEEs in one day. I will do it again one day ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Did that for the first time a few months ago, was drunk off my face by the end but enjoyed it

DOWN

Banned
The HUD is a bit distracting. It's like they thought they should make it super opaque, full of text names and prompts, and color coded. How games manage bad HUDs in a world where Skyrim, Halo, and Assassin's Creed have mastered minimal, well suited, and often totally adjustable HUDs is beyond me.

Portman

Went ahead and pre-ordered it last night. Will pick it up next Friday with the other releases from the week and binge on it that weekend.

I just couldn't deny that I wanted to play it now instead of waiting until black Friday just to (potentially) save a bit.

The HUD is a bit distracting. It's like they thought they should make it super opaque, full of text names and prompts, and color coded. How games manage bad HUDs in a world where Skyrim, Halo, and Assassin's Creed have mastered minimal, well suited, and often totally adjustable HUDs is beyond me.

Oh my GOD! Don't talk about Skyrim and good UI in the same post, please. It's against the rules of nature.

Not every game needs a hyper-immersive UI. And IIRC Skyrim only manages that with mods anyways.

hydruxo

Ehh all the walking through the amazing scenery is one of my the main reasons I love the films. So great.

Corpekata

Banned
Someone in the Nvidia thread dropped a hint that Shadows of Mordor has a benchmark utility, which is usually a good sign for not being a shitty port.

GavinUK86

Holy moly, that's a lot of text on the screen.

My gif is from the challenge mode so all the text on the right are challenges.

Still is a lot, yes, but you don't have all that during normal gameplay.

DOWN

Banned
Oh my GOD! Don't talk about Skyrim and good UI in the same post, please. It's against the rules of nature.

Not every game needs a hyper-immersive UI. And IIRC Skyrim only manages that with mods anyways.

Huh? This is a great non-invasive HUD. It plays with the art of the game, but is super clean and not hideously colorful. Wish Dragon Age: Inquisition would fix theirs too.

What's a good HUD to you?

The movies ARE boring.

I don't think the films are that bad but I also think they are very bombastic and a product realized to fancy the american taste. That's a thing I always noted: americans usually think that those are tasteful movies. I think they are on the same tone of the Pirates of the Carribean, albeit better executed. The film really shines when the mage decides it's time to kick some ass.

ya burnt!

DrBo42

I don't think the films are that bad but I also think they are very bombastic and a product realized to fancy the american taste. That's a thing I always noted: americans usually think that those are tasteful movies. I think they are on the same tone of the Pirates of the Carribean, albeit better executed. The film really shines when the mage decides it's time to kick some ass.

ya burnt!

Fellowship is really the only one worth watching. And even that has issues.

I've watched all the EE version of TLOR earlier this week over 3 days, it's the fourth time I've watched them. I love the films and they don't bore me at all, 11+ hours of 1080p goodness, and that soundtrack yo, so good.

Stormus

If this game has ~80 metacritic score going into Tuesday, it will be a day one purchase for me. I'm craving a quality RPG for my PS4.

Levyne

Banned
So reviews hit tomorrow, did I read that correctly?

Morning of the 26th. (So yeah, late tomorrow night if you think of it that way.)

One Dtoid guy initially said early thursday morning but has more recently been in line with what polygon and everyone else has stated of the 26th.

Ignore that he's calling it hodor in response to oshry being a goof.

Edit: So this was never wrong!

4aaV9zw.png

Edit 2: Pacific time. I'll put the specific time in the OT.

YASjIw2.png

Morning of the 26th. (So yeah, late tomorrow night if you think of it that way.)

One Dtoid guy initially said early thursday morning but has more recently been in line with what polygon and everyone else has stated of the 26th.

Ignore that he's calling it hodor in response to oshry being a goof.

Ah ok cool, close enough. I'm glad they are hitting several days before release. I have deliberately not followed much about the game since hearing people talk about it so positively at E3. I guess I was tired of disappointment this year.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
If this game has ~80 metacritic score going into Tuesday, it will be a day one purchase for me. I'm craving a quality RPG for my PS4.

I dont understand this at all

why do people only buy games if scores are high/others enjoy it

Top Bottom