• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

I did that and they were saved as .jpg. When I looked at them they didn't look as good as in game so I think there is compression happening. Is there any way to change this?

Mine are saved as TGA and don't seem to be compressed at all (as you can see from that screenshot I posted). I didn't change anything. Weird...

valkyre

Guys does the game stop spawing enemies every 5 steps I take? Is there something you have to do in order to reduce the amount of enemy spawning? It is ridiculous as it is now, I seemingly clear an area with no enemy in sight, i take 5 steps and boom! there goes another group of 10 guys out of nowhere...

Guys does the game stop spawing enemies every 5 steps I take? Is there something you have to do in order to reduce the amount of enemy spawning? It is ridiculous as it is now, I seemingly clear an area with no enemy in sight, i take 5 steps and boom! there goes another group of 10 guys out of nowhere...

This entire game is fighting and manipulating enemies. I'm not far enough to give any sort of concrete answer, but I'm guessing it doesn't stop spawning them.

Dominator

Nope, thats the game. You can easily run past people, but obviously if you're in a Stronghold there are going to be tons of enemies coming at you from every angle at all times.

I wish there was a "restart mission" option. You fuck up once and not get the bonus objective or something, then you end up cancelling the mission, get spawned miles away and have to run back there just to start the mission again.

You don't just walk around in Mordor, or at least I keep hearing something to that effect.

As stated above though the general idea is that you're alone in an enemy infested land, use your environment to avoid enemies you don't want to fight. Also if you keep rescuing slaves they apparently are more likely to revolt and help you (according to a loading screen tip).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nope, thats the game. You can easily run past people, but obviously if you're in a Stronghold there are going to be tons of enemies coming at you from every angle at all times.
Yup, you can easily ignore orc patrols. The only issue I've ever come across was ignoring a captain who tracked and chased me for miles.

valkyre

Thanks for the replies guys, i know they are easy to avoid its just that the spawning is pretty much constant and sometimes gets in the way , at least for me. For example i wanted to upgrade my char, go to the menus upgrade and when i am back in the game and do a 180 turn i get swarms of enemies.

Its a great game but the amount of spawning is a bit too much. As a player it makes me feel that no matter how many i kill it doesnt make a difference at all.

Aces&Eights

I am in the "press X to run" hate camp. Running away from a mob and want to turn to see if they are still chasing you? Better have 3 thumbs. Running to a location and want to pan up at the side scenery? Sorry, not in this game. It just chaps my hide they don't allow us to do custom button mapping. Pressing X to run is so counterintuitive especially when your regular walking speed is .005mph. So it's either walk reeeeally slow or sprint with tunnel vision.

Am I crazy?

Death by a crossbow Captain that seemed to shoot 4 bolts of poison per trigger pull. Welcome to my shit-list, uruk scum.

The guys who come back from injury with added gear from old times they were presumed dead is great. One captain was immune from almost everything except stealth kills - a piece of intel that came late to the engagements. I fought him twice in the wild and couldn't hurt him at all; the most was half way with an explosion, which he gained all back by 'being enraged by pain'. Learned what his weakness was, and murdered him from up high - only for him to have his left eye patched up with tin and face in black burlap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am in the "press X to run" hate camp. Running away from a mob and want to turn to see if they are still chasing you? Better have 3 thumbs. Running to a location and want to pan up at the side scenery? Sorry, not in this game. It just chaps my hide they don't allow us to do custom button mapping. Pressing X to run is so counterintuitive especially when your regular walking speed is .005mph. So it's either walk reeeeally slow or sprint with tunnel vision.

Am I crazy?

All I know is I keep hitting R2 and stealthing when I want to run because AC has hardwired into my brain.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I wish there was a "restart mission" option. You fuck up once and not get the bonus objective or something, then you end up cancelling the mission, get spawned miles away and have to run back there just to start the mission again.

At the same time that would also ruin the nemesis system life if you were losing the fight. However I do argee they need to spawn you closer.

leng jai

This game is getting hard as balls, but purely because I am getting ridiculous amounts of orc spam in seemingly every fight now.

AJ_Wings

Same thing happened to me. :/

I wonder if it spawns the player in the nearest tower or it just picks a random tower.

i've only done up to the gollum story mission so far (when you meet him)

but how do you ride the wargs? i unlocked the ability (it's one of the first ones you can unlock) but am i not supposed to be able to ride them yet?

btw this game's pretty damn fun. already got owned by a captain because another captain came and brought a whole pack of urukhai to whoop my ass :(

to get their strengths/weaknesses do you always have to interrogate some dudes though? or can i kill the ones with intel and pick it up from their corpses?

This game is getting hard as balls, but purely because I am getting ridiculous amounts of orc spam in seemingly every fight now.

Start of the game you aren't near strong holds. Later on you tend to be in areas that are considered strong holds which essentially have unlimited orcs to throw at you. Your best bet is to stealthfully kill as many of the nobodies to prevent anyone raising an alarm. No alarm, no reinforcements when you go for the captains.

Leveling up your focus and elf shots are paramount. Getting runes that restore your focus on successful headshots also make things a lot easier. Suddenly you're able to take out groups of 10+ orcs from a distance before any of them have a chance to run or alert anyone and strongholds become much less of an issue.

Lach

but how do you ride the wargs? i unlocked the ability (it's one of the first ones you can unlock) but am i not supposed to be able to ride them yet?

I think you have to jump them from above (there will be an rb/r1 trigger promt). Then when you've jumped on them you'll have to do a promt like when you're almost dying....

Nyx

btw this game's pretty damn fun. already got owned by a captain because another captain came and brought a whole pack of urukhai to whoop my ass :(

to get their strengths/weaknesses do you always have to interrogate some dudes though? or can i kill the ones with intel and pick it up from their corpses?

You need to jump on them from above, so from a ledge f.e.
The R1 option then shows when you can jump on them.

You gotta drop down on them from above by pressing right bumper, or whatever equivalent you are using.

try to be above the wargs then u can brand then

Also i think i found my nemesis, there's this fat ass urk called Rhas Ghul , who i nicknamed "Ra's al Ghul" his first 2 deaths were via interrogation, but the dudes keeps coming back and i love it, likes he is all weak but still tries to gank me, should i let him kill me so he gets a promotion?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

RB, but you have to be above them, can't ride them on level ground.

You can't get the intel off their bodies. Later on you can get intel via other means like finding letters with the information, or by freeing slaves which have intel.

try to be above the warfs then u can brand then

b95d8d6eb9badd80592124c780142ce04edbf0fde577fea9b04342e0022fba0d.jpg

Wunder

Why do so many Orc captains come back? I've 'killed' this one dude like 4 times and guy's still alive and trudging about, do I have to behead them for them to stay dead?

haha, damn. you guys are super helpful. thanks for the info.

how are you guys getting intel? taking out all the orcs aside from the green-highlighted one and then interrogating the lone orc? it's not quite as easy as it was in the batman games but then again i'm just starting this.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

how are you guys getting intel? taking out all the orcs aside from the green-highlighted one and then interrogating the lone orc? it's not quite as easy as it was in the batman games but then again i'm just starting this.

You can also interrogate captains for information.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

In Batman, you can't kill the snitches. In Mordor, you can interrogate dead snitches (sometimes).

-Deimos

To be honest I forget this move exists lol. I'll try it next time, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work.

Using flurry is like cheat mode, I learned that from Batman. Regular attacks are basically useless after you discover how to flurry. Combine it with Wraith Finisher plus some Wraith Finisher to Health runes and the game becomes a little too easy.

I wouldn't mind some original content from these guys BUT if they did another IP like starwars or hell even give spawn back his mojo..i'd be all for it lol

Got it today on Xbox One (looks great and plays smooth as butter, only got a few fps drop once in a cutscene so far) because I was busy with life and didn't manage to snag a copy that got leaked early here so, got one a day late from release date. Let me just get this out of the way, they fucking NAILED the orc/Uruk-hai head decapitation in weight, feel and satisfaction. Looks like straight out of the movie.

giphy.gif

Played it for a few hours and it's been a long time that a game made me feel that I want to play more when I have to close the console for sleep. I'm HOOKED. Great start to the game that brought dem nostalgia feels of watching LOTR in cinema's with Galadriel's voice for the opening monologue. For the first 30 minutes to an hour, I didn't really like the game that much because it just throws you in and you feel overwhelmed however, after passing the hour mark, the game just kicked into all cylindars for me and now, I know everything I need to know. I only reached mission 4 with the rest of the time being spent on exploring the world, killing captains, doing side missions, freeing slaves, buying abilities and getting collectibles.

I absolutely love Celebrimbor, everything from the way he looks to his voice, just perfection. Much more than Tailon and the way you switch between him and Tailon just looks so badass. The game itself has many touches of brilliant badassery, from the way Tailon walks, to how he runs, automatically draws the sword and just how every thing he does animation wise is brutal and on point. The combat flow is exactly like Batman which made me feel straight at home however, here it felt like Batman on steroids. So damn satisfying and brutal as hell with his torn cape swinging all over the place, blood flowing every where and shoving his sword into an orc in as many ways as possible as well as Celebrimbor's touch in the combat is a very nice and awesome detail. Everything just feels so smooth and fun which is why even though I know that killing captains from the nemesis system is useless right now since more things will be unlocked as I continue on with the story but, I can't help it. I'm just having so much fun hunting down a captain and planing my attack. Sometimes I don't even gather intel just because I like to find out while in combat just what kills that shit stain.

So far I only died once but haven't got back to the guy that killed me because I haven't bothered going after him nor did I got a recurring orc yet because all of the ones I meet, I kill lol(don't know if that just does it or what). However, I came into one really awesome moment while I was doing a sword legend side mission. It's the one where I have to attract an orc to my position then kill him(do this to 5 orcs) so, I was on a ledge hanging as I wait for the orc to come by me and as soon as I killed him, I get spotted by other orcs on top and below me so, I drop down and immediately go into slow mo with my bow and start mowing down orc's by aiming for the head and as soon as my slow motion finished I got into slicing and dicing the orcs while I counter and executing one after the other, I came across during the fight not one nor two but 4 captains I haven't even revealed yet! Managed by luck to kill one with the combo execution Y + B(badass one hit kill from the get go)and the other while pacing myself as I go from position to position running, taking out my bow and BOOM went down with a charged arrow headshot! The other two went down normally by execution on the ground which isn't as exciting. Kept pacing and switching from bow to sword in a matter of seconds all while running and changing places, never in the same place at once. The verticality and smoothness of everything just makes it so damn fun.

What's funny about all of this is by the end when I got killed by some puny orc, I forgot all about the mission at hand lmao because that's how much I was enjoying killing those bastards. Another aspect I didn't expect to enjoy was the collectibles, specifically the item based memories. I love how they are not just text but voiced as well so you could really live through the memory and the icing on the cake is Celebrimbor comments on so far every item I got which gives alot more insight to the world.

So far, I am only disappointed by how I wish the world would be bigger and that we could go to the shire or to the more greener places (Hopefully if we get a sequel they will do just that and more). As well as, I don't know why but the sound of the slashing when pressing X/Square just sound muffled/gritty as oppossed to everything else sounding crisp and clear, I'm rocking a home theater setup so I don't know what's wrong exactly, maybe the slashing and all just sound weak which is weird. That's about it though, enjoying everything else about it.

I'm playing the game with the LOTR soundtrack on thanks to the media player app and let me tell you when The Battle of Pelennor Fields kicks in....

tumblr_l9xcxuJa9G1qe4tx4o1_400.gif

I go on a damn rampage, so DAMN gooood.

tl;dr

Game is badass awesome, I am loving it alot and I can't wait to play more! I'm so damn happy for Monolith. Love how everything you do is towards a purpose and progress. Can't wait to unlock more abilities and all because they look damn awesome.

tumblr_n950khGeWv1thegnro1_400.gif

Greatness.

I just had a god damn captain come back to life 5 times in 1.5 hours.

He always came back at the worst times too when I was in the middle of fighting other captains or approaching them.

Haha.. It was almost humorous. Each time he came back with his 'You shoulda finished me last time' 'You thought a beast alone would kill me?' 'This time I will finish you' etc etc.

I think he's finally dead dead now. A captain has taken over his old spot so I know he 'should' be gone.

His final death?

A beast or w/e eating his face about 20+ times since he has resistance to damage from beasts. hahaha. I mean you HAVE to die after that.

oh fuck. i totally forgot about playing the lotr music over the game, that would be great.

if this was a success that would be amazing if we got rohan and isengard in the sequel.

To be honest I forget this move exists lol. I'll try it next time, but I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't work.

I haven't encountered an enemy, that move doesn't work on. Usually when I fight a captain, I use that and when they fall to the ground I use the ground finisher, which takes a good bit of health off and by that point I have the execution move ready to go and then hit them with that right after.

Sanctuary

The whole resurrection mechanic for every named enemy you kill, pretty much takes the wind out of any sense of achievement. Oh you finally killed 'Two-shot The Hand Ballista'. Don't worry, you'll face him again another dozen times.

Top Bottom