• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Garibaldi

My Amazon UK order just shipped 😆😆 any other UK peons still waiting with me? If so have you gotten your preorder rune keys email yet?

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I dunno, everything I've seen so far point to a good game but perfect? The environments, the story, the constant prompts all turn me away from the game. The combat seems good but almost copy and pasted from the Arkham series. Exploration seems to rip off Assassin's Creed, but with less interesting zones. I'll probably end up buying it, but the inflated scores are a bit annoying to be honest. Reminds me of Bioshock Infinite.

OK. So, you haven't played the game. Haven't even tried it. Yet you still feel entitled to be annoyed by what other people, people who have actually played through the game, think of it. Really?

Bottom line: If you don't think the game is for you, don't play it. But don't shit on everyone else's opinions, just because you don't wan't to fork out the cash to play the game.

alterno69

Banned
I bought the game on launch day in New Orleans but i was on a bussines trip. I'm finally going back to Mexico. I'm sitting at the Houston airport right now waiting for my flight home and i'll finally be able to play this.

Fuck yeah.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Some of these larger strongholds require you to run away and wreak havoc in guerrilla warfare.

i just wade into the middle of it and play them or me. bodies, glorious headless bodies everywhere!

as much trash talking folks try to give the combat it works perfectly for massive melees like that at the strongholds. wound up killing 3 captains in that mess 2 same loc one slightly further away starting to head out on patrol

S1kkZ

still cant download (or even see) the dlc content that comes with the legion digital edition.
it only loads the game, but none of the other stuff (2 missions and the ranger costume). the stuff doesnt even show up in psn or in the dl history 8only the season pass). sony support doesnt know whats going on and cant help me. i am pissed.

still cant download (or even see) the dlc content that comes with the legion digital edition.
it only loads the game, but none of the other stuff (2 missions and the ranger costume). the stuff doesnt even show up in psn or in the dl history 8only the season pass). sony support doesnt know whats going on and cant help me. i am pissed.

Are you in EU? The game isn't officially released here until tomorrow, usually DLC/Extra content doesn't come up until release day.

Moff

Turns out he's terrified of them and turns green instantly and starts running away, so I wraith sprint after his ass and execute him, it was sooo goooood seeing Celebrimbor pop his fucking head into nothing.

how did you let his head explode?

Smash88

Banned
I can't play this game until I find a way to remove Wraith Finisher, what a terrible skill. I hate popping heads, it takes away from the whole head chopping off, flying through the air. Ugh, what were they thinking.

Nyx

I entered the codes in the PSN store on my phone, downloaded the items to my PS4, started up SoM and there they were. (the DR skin at least)

EU physical version btw

Here is what I did.

Go to the marketplace on your PS4, then find Mordor then buy it again, it should say choose version, pick free and then the DLC will download.

S1kkZ

Here is what I did.

Go to the marketplace on your PS4, then find Mordor then buy it again, it should say choose version, pick free and then the DLC will download.

no option to buy again, no option to choose anything. not on the webstore, not on the "normal" store.

Kaversmed

So I'm kind of sad, the ability "Wraith Finisher", no longer lets you stick a sword in their head and chop it off like before, instead it just pops their heads. While this is satisfying as well, it will never compare to chopping their heads off and watching it fly through the air as you have crossed another captain off your kill list.

I wish there was a way to disable this, I had no idea it would take away one of the coolest finishers in the game.

If anyone finds a way to disable this or remove it, I would be extremely grateful. It's almost making me want to restart my game.

I would be annoyed by that as well. The popping head thing is alright, but sword finishers are what sold me on this game at first, beside the nemesis system.

So is the 'wraith finisher' just another way to kill your foes or does it do something different that actually makes this ability an advantage?

Jobbs

Banned
Had absolutely no plans of buying this, at all, zero, zip, none, I have enough shit to buy, but gaf hype got the best of me and it's on its way.

Can somebody explain to me the multiplayer aspects to this game? Some Vendetta thing? I played it a bit last night and really enjoyed it but I didn't know there was any sort of multiplayer/social features!

Smash88

Banned
I would be annoyed by that as well. The popping head thing is alright, but sword finishers are what sold me on this game at first, beside the nemesis system.

So is the 'wraith finisher' just another way to kill your foes or does it do something different that actually makes this ability an advantage?

No advantage, just pops heads on pretty much all flurry and drain kills, so when you interrogate, or any interaction it will head pop instead of sword slice.

I might restart my game (I'm not that far in the main story line) and just avoid it.

junglist

I hate when you go on last stand mode... but there is no last stand... you just die...without having the opportunity to counter.

Kaversmed

No advantage, just pops heads on pretty much all flurry and drain kills, so when you interrogate, or any interaction it will head pop instead of sword slice.

I might restart my game (I'm not that far in the main story line) and just avoid it.

Alright man, thanks for the heads-up! I will definitely avoid that ability as well when I get the game... tomorrow!!!!

Smash88

Banned
So I said fuck it, I deleted my save and started over. Kind of a pain, but well worth it. Note to self, avoid Wraith Finisher and Swift Finisher, takes away really cool animations. You also don't need them to advance in the skill tree, so avoid at all costs, unless you are okay with limited and fewer simpler (less cool) animations.

Kaversmed

So I said fuck it, I deleted my save and started over. Kind of a pain, but well worth it. Not to self, avoid Wraith Finisher and Swift Finisher, take away really cool animations. You also don't need them to advance in the skill tree, so avoid at all costs, unless you are okay with limited and fewer simpler (less cool) animations.

Wait, what does 'swift finisher' now do then?

Can somebody explain to me the multiplayer aspects to this game? Some Vendetta thing? I played it a bit last night and really enjoyed it but I didn't know there was any sort of multiplayer/social features!

There is no multiplayer aspect. Vendetta is a vague social system I guess where an Uruk that killed someone on your friend's list appears on your map and you can kill it. Not much to that, not even sure if it shows up in the other person's game or not.

glad people are recognizing the voice acting. the latin american dub is just uterrly fantastic. best ive seen.

WB games tend to be very well voice acted, they do have access to a lot of good VAs.

Moff

So I said fuck it, I deleted my save and started over. Kind of a pain, but well worth it. Not to self, avoid Wraith Finisher and Swift Finisher, take away really cool animations. You also don't need them to advance in the skill tree, so avoid at all costs, unless you are okay with limited and fewer simpler (less cool) animations.

I dont think I understand, isnt the wraith finisher something else (B+A) than the executions (B+Y)?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
There is no multiplayer aspect. Vendetta is a vague social system I guess where an Uruk that killed someone on your friend's list appears on your map and you can kill it. Not much to that, not even sure if it shows up in the other person's game or not.

You get a notice in-game that someone has avenged your death. Not who, not which particular death, no mention of which Orc, nothing. Kind of bums me out, I've avenged 3 deaths so far and now I know I will never be known for doing it :(

ZeroX03

Banned
Whaaaat you don't get anything for betting the Weapon Legends except for M? I was hoping for some awesome upgrade. Damn.

Lord Phol

Wow that sucks :/, I will definetly keep away from that one, thanks for the heads up!
Was actually thinking about that when I unlocked the "faster finishers" yesterday, wondering if it removes any finishers or cuts off parts of the animations. I really love the combat and finishers in this game, so don't want to loose out on any.

Wait you sure about Swift Finishers? D:
Really don't want to start over since I'm almost done with all the collectables and challanges on the first map.. ><.

codhand

two hours in and im already glad i supported Monolith's effort here. out of curiousity, how much of the original Monolith is left?

WB games tend to be very well voice acted, they do have access to a lot of good VAs.

Ah ok I gotcha thanks

That's not entirely true, it does have a small advantage. The head pop causes momentary terror in the surrounding orcs. It isn't a huge benefit, but it has gotten me out of a jam now and again.

Though if you really love the sword animations, that may not be enough of a gain. I like the terror, but I agree with you, the sword animations are more satisfying.

You get a notice in-game that someone has avenged your death. Not who, not which particular death, no mention of which Orc, nothing. Kind of bums me out, I've avenged 3 deaths so far and now I know I will never be known for doing it :(

I was wondering about that after I killed one. No one has avenged any of my deaths as far as I know, but I'd love to know who did it, and which orc they killed. The nemesis system has made all these captain rivalries feel so personal, I'd be quite happy finding out which pain in my ass got gutted by a friend.

Rokam

I believe it's just anyone, I only have 1 guy on my friends list and he's not playing. I'm getting tons of various Vendetta's from random people slain.

I've done like no story, just been wandering around gathering collectibles and slaughtering things. I've only done
up to freeing Ratbag.
Should probably advance the story I guess to get the abilities, wish it wasn't so.

Auctopus

My Amazon UK order just shipped &#128518;&#128518; any other UK peons still waiting with me? If so have you gotten your preorder rune keys email yet?

Mine shipped this morning, not by Amazon though. Shop4World, who I've never used before. Slightly worrying that it says shipping can take between 4-12 days, I ordered it months ago and picked first class.

Here's hoping.

Rodelero

I've already bought Destiny and FIFA, and have a preorder for Driveclub, so I'm probably going to wait before picking this game up but I can't stop thinking about how much I want this game. Can't really handle the precedent of four retail games in a month.

MMaRsu

I've already bought Destiny and FIFA, and have a preorder for Driveclub, so I'm probably going to wait before picking this game up but I can't stop thinking about how much I want this game. Can't really handle the precedent of four retail games in a month.

Well its better than Destiny.

Gaz_RB

I believe it's just anyone, I only have 1 guy on my friends list and he's not playing. I'm getting tons of various Vendetta's from random people slain.

I've done like no story, just been wandering around gathering collectibles and slaughtering things. I've only done
up to freeing Ratbag.
Should probably advance the story I guess to get the abilities, wish it wasn't so.

I think it prioritizes your friends list, but throws some randoms in there if you have no friends playing.

And it does notify you when someone has avenged you.

Top Bottom